View Full Version : Walmart

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11

Urbanized
10-07-2015, 09:57 AM
Of course, I could have just said one word; hillbillies.

Now that WAS judgmental. ;)

jerrywall
10-07-2015, 09:57 AM
I fight with my wife about wal-mart, where I want her to support local options like Crest, and she believes and insists that wal-mart saves her so much money. I don't agree but I seem unable to convince her.

bchris02
10-07-2015, 10:47 AM
Pete, a huge portion of the OKC market is low-end and not very discriminating. Many Wal-Mart shoppers are the same people who make dollar stores so successful here. Wal-Mart has the aura of cut-rate, and that is all those shoppers care about, some out of economic necessity, of course. I know that sounds judgmental, but it's not meant to be. It's just a fact of life; demographics.

I am sure this plays a part, as it does everywhere. However, I think in OKC the issue is that quality alternatives to Wal-Mart are few and far between. Their market saturation strategy has enabled them to completely dominate the market and difficult to avoid. Sprawl and easy access to large chunks of land to build Supercenters have made them unstoppable. I think if stores like Crest Fresh Market were as easily accessible to most OKC residents as Wal-Mart, you would see a lot less Wal-Mart shoppers. If H-E-B ever enters the market, My guess is they will take quite a few customers away from Wal-Mart.

trousers
10-07-2015, 10:48 AM
For my grocery shopping needs Wal-Mart is actually noticeably more expensive than when I go to Buy For Less and Sprout.

Richard at Remax
10-07-2015, 10:48 AM
I can understand that.

But it doesn't explain why most their stores are packed during the day when there are plenty of other options.

I think a lot of times its conviencence. I work near the Walmart on 15th and I35. I can go there on the way home or during my lunch. Its a nightmare to go down 2nd ST to the Target there. It's like running the gauntlet during lunch and after work. I tend to only need basic stuff so walmart works for me.

Pete
10-07-2015, 10:54 AM
^

That makes sense.

And I'm certainly not dogging people who shop there, just trying to understand the popularity.

stick47
10-07-2015, 11:13 AM
I really believe a lot of items WM sells they get for next to nothing due to some glitch in the design of the product. Hard to explain exactly but on many occasions I've bought a product they had that ended up taking back or it went on the top shelf of the closet b/c it wasn't user friendly (for lack of a better word). Wish I could recall an example right now but I used to encounter this at least half a dozen times a year. I'm much more selective when I buy from there any more.

Pete
10-07-2015, 11:26 AM
^

I watched a fascinating documentary on Walmart and they buy almost all their product in China and have purchasing agents employed over there to run reverse auctions, where they pit many manufacturers against each other to bid down the prices.

They do so much volume that getting a purchase contract can make or break a manufacturer. The buyer power is a huge shift to where the big retailers actually have all the power now.

I know Walmart is not the only retailer to do business this way but this is their primary strategy and they are by far the biggest entity doing it.

I suspect this practice also drastically affects item quality, as the manufacturers are working with razor thin margins and massive quantities.

Anonymous.
10-07-2015, 12:39 PM
I am a Walmart shopper, as well.

I have found in my frugality that GreatValue branded products are the cheapest you can find and are of close-to or identical to their name brand counterparts. I am not kidding, I buy GreatValue bread, milk, cereal, granola/fiber bars, toilet paper, cleaning products, etc. The only exemption is deli meat (have sliced @ Walmart deli) and ground beef.

I have a very routine diet and it is a boring one, so virtually every single shopping trip is the same. I have tried getting the same product equivalents at Target under their Market Pantry brand, and found that not only was it more expensive, it was lower in quality than GreatValue (packaging mostly, but in some cases taste).

So not only is Walmart more convenient in location to me currently, but it is cheaper and of better quality in terms of my own needs.

kelroy55
10-07-2015, 12:53 PM
I am a Walmart shopper, as well.

I have found in my frugality that GreatValue branded products are the cheapest you can find and are of close-to or identical to their name brand counterparts. I am not kidding, I buy GreatValue bread, milk, cereal, granola/fiber bars, toilet paper, cleaning products, etc. The only exemption is deli meat (have sliced @ Walmart deli) and ground beef.

I have a very routine diet and it is a boring one, so virtually every single shopping trip is the same. I have tried getting the same product equivalents at Target under their Market Pantry brand, and found that not only was it more expensive, it was lower in quality than GreatValue (packaging mostly, but in some cases taste).

So not only is Walmart more convenient in location to me currently, but it is cheaper and of better quality in terms of my own needs.

I don't mind buying the off brand but I draw the line at toilet paper... none of that cheap paper thin stuff for me.

Hondo1
10-07-2015, 01:16 PM
Pete, glad to hear of your return to OKC. We avoid Wal-Mart as much as possible simply because it's a hassle; long check out lines, too few employees, difficult parking. But generally once a month, we go to purchase dry goods - paper towels and toiletries all of which we could buy elsewhere but, for this particular type of merchandise, I'm a value shopper and WM has good prices on these items, plus, my wife checks out their fabric department. I suppose Target would be the obvious alternative but I don't know that much would be gained. Many of the same dynamics are in place at Target, plus....if you've ever noticed, Target carries pretty much the same (made in China) merchandise that Wal-Mart sells, generally at higher prices.

ctchandler
10-07-2015, 01:24 PM
I don't mind buying the off brand but I draw the line at toilet paper... none of that cheap paper thin stuff for me.

Kelroy,
So, let me see if I understand, you don't care what you put in your mouth, but you are very picky about what takes care of the other end? Is that a little backwards?
C. T.
p.s. And a smiley face!

ctchandler
10-07-2015, 01:27 PM
I think a lot of times its conviencence. I work near the Walmart on 15th and I35. I can go there on the way home or during my lunch. Its a nightmare to go down 2nd ST to the Target there. It's like running the gauntlet during lunch and after work. I tend to only need basic stuff so walmart works for me.

Worthy Cook,
I live near there, and my reasoning is the same as yours. I do go to Uptown on Covell fairly often though.
C. T.

Anonymous.
10-07-2015, 01:32 PM

Get this, I promise you won't overpay for TP ever again. This stuff is legit. When I tell people I have GV toilet paper they freak out, then they try it and become believers.

http://guideimg.alibaba.com/images/shop/68/08/04/5/great-value-ultra-soft-bathroom-tissue-192-sheets-6-rolls_2002095.jpeg

rezman
10-07-2015, 02:16 PM
Worthy Cook,
I live near there, and my reasoning is the same as yours. I do go to Uptown on Covell fairly often though.
C. T.

C.T. ... How is that Uptown Grocery?. I've been by there many times since I moved over that way, but haven't been in there yet. Looks like a nice place.

David
10-07-2015, 02:50 PM
We used to be Walmart Supercenter shoppers, right up until a brand new Neighborhood Market was built significantly closer. After that, it's like a light was turned and we realized how horrible the previous experience was.

So maybe it's really just a question of people just being used to the service and not looking for better?

In a related question, what grocery stores are available in the Penn Square area? If all goes well I should be moving that direction soon, and am wondering what the shopping options will be. I am aware of the Belle Isle Walmart and Whole Foods, but neither of those are really my preferences at this point.

ctchandler
10-07-2015, 03:27 PM
C.T. ... How is that Uptown Grocery?. I've been by there many times since I moved over that way, but haven't been in there yet. Looks like a nice place.

Rezman,
I really like them, they have one of the best cheese selections in town (it is about as good as Whole Foods cheese counter), good fresh bread, lots of prepared (fresh cooked) items in a very wide/long counter. Their meat and seafood selection is excellent as well. The produce is very good. I wish they were closer, it's about ten miles and Walmart is about four miles. They aren't cheap, but not expensive either. More than Walmart, Buy For Less, and Crest but less than Whole Foods. Probably in the Homeland price range. I wish it was a little larger, but it was a new concept and I suppose space was an issue due to being in Edmond.
C. T.

bchris02
10-07-2015, 03:45 PM
Rezman,
I really like them, they have one of the best cheese selections in town (it is about as good as Whole Foods cheese counter), good fresh bread, lots of prepared (fresh cooked) items in a very wide/long counter. Their meat and seafood selection is excellent as well. The produce is very good. I wish they were closer, it's about ten miles and Walmart is about four miles. They aren't cheap, but not expensive either. More than Walmart, Buy For Less, and Crest but less than Whole Foods. Probably in the Homeland price range. I wish it was a little larger, but it was a new concept and I suppose space was an issue due to being in Edmond.
C. T.

The new Uptown Grocery on N May looks like it might be a little larger than the Edmond location. It's a new concept for them so I am sure like Crest, the locations will keep getting better as they expand. Compared the Edmond Crest, the first to use the "Fresh Market" format, followed by the one on S May and 104th and then the new Norman location. Those are great stores.

Bunty
10-07-2015, 06:05 PM
For my grocery shopping needs Wal-Mart is actually noticeably more expensive than when I go to Buy For Less and Sprout.
That's good to know since Stillwater, a two super Wal-Mart town, is getting a Sprout.

ljbab728
10-07-2015, 08:38 PM
We used to be Walmart Supercenter shoppers, right up until a brand new Neighborhood Market was built significantly closer. After that, it's like a light was turned and we realized how horrible the previous experience was.

So maybe it's really just a question of people just being used to the service and not looking for better?

In a related question, what grocery stores are available in the Penn Square area? If all goes well I should be moving that direction soon, and am wondering what the shopping options will be. I am aware of the Belle Isle Walmart and Whole Foods, but neither of those are really my preferences at this point.

Sprouts at 63rd and May could be the next closest option.

catch22
10-07-2015, 09:23 PM
I've been splitting my shopping between Fred Meyer, Winco, Target, and Walmart up here. All are similar distances, and I think the Walmarts are so much easier.

Target seems very expensive on comparable items, Fred Meyer has some of the things I buy but not all, Winco is cheap but some of the quality is questionable. Walmart is the only option nearby for me that seems to have all of the things I need at decent prices. The store I go to is also being remodeled, so it is pretty clean.

I have been to Walmart here in the past 4 months, more than I have been to Walmart in OKC in the previous 4 years. The Walmarts in OKC are disgusting, understocked, grimy, crowded, and disappointing. I can't say the same for Portland area, as they seem to have all I need.

I am thinking about getting a Costco membership, as one is right by the airport on the road I take home. Very tempting, although it to me looks exactly like Sam's Club (which there are none in Portland)

Thomas Vu
10-07-2015, 09:24 PM

Funny you say that, GV TP is highly rated.

bradh
10-07-2015, 09:42 PM
Pete, a huge portion of the OKC market is low-end and not very discriminating. Many Wal-Mart shoppers are the same people who make dollar stores so successful here. Wal-Mart has the aura of cut-rate, and that is all those shoppers care about, some out of economic necessity, of course. I know that sounds judgmental, but it's not meant to be. It's just a fact of life; demographics.

You just summed up how Southwest Airlines has made their cash(other than some great fuel hedges)

bradh
10-07-2015, 09:47 PM
I have found that the service and selection at the Super Target at Quail Springs is considerably worse than the WM on NW Expressway and Council.

SomeGuy
10-07-2015, 09:49 PM
Am I the only one who finds it odd and a bit pointless they're building another Walmart Neighborhood in Moore since Supercenter is literally a 5 minute drive from it?

David
10-07-2015, 10:45 PM
Sprouts at 63rd and May could be the next closest option.

Yeah, I did a little looking around that and found that and the under construction Uptown Grocery a bit further north. One or the other should fit the bill, though from looking at their websites I'm kind of leaning towards the latter once it is open.

jompster
10-08-2015, 12:37 AM
Am I the only one who finds it odd and a bit pointless they're building another Walmart Neighborhood in Moore since Supercenter is literally a 5 minute drive from it?

Pointless, yes. Odd, not so much. They just built a Neighborhood Market on Sooner Road just south of SE 44th and there is a Supercenter two miles up the road. Literally a five minute drive in that instance as well. *shrugs* Market saturation, as if they needed it.

Teo9969
10-12-2015, 12:39 AM

I live in the area: Your options generally suck for now. It's Wal-Mart or Whole Foods (Uuuggghhhh). Luckily, Trader Joe's will change that considerably.

From Penn Square your options are as follows from closest to furthest (approx.):

1. Wal-Mart @ Belle Isle
2. Whole Foods @ Classen/Western
3. Target @ NW Expressway and May
4. Sprouts @ 63rd/May
5. Buy For Less @ 23rd/Penn -OR- Portland and NW Expressway
6. Walmart Neighborhood Market @ 23rd and Penn.
7. Natural Grocers @ May and 70th
8. Super Cao Nguyen @ Classen (Military) and 25th/26th (can't remember exactly)

There's also a Braum's @ 40th and Penn.

I would love to not shop at Walmart, but the convenience is just way too much to overcome. Now, I'm not constantly restocking my fridge, so it's not like I'm making trips to cook for 10 meals.

If you're on the south side of NW Expressway, I'd probably recommend a combination of Super Cao Nguyen, Buy for Less (Die for Less as the OCU students affectionally call it), and Braums. If you're on the North side, maybe that Sprout's drive isn't so bad.

OKCbyTRANSFER
10-12-2015, 02:17 PM
The last few times I've been in the Wal-Mart Market at 23rd and Penn, and only out of desperation, I again realized why I hate that store: long lines, very few check out lanes open, and the self check out lanes had only 2 working. Took longer to check out 5 items then to find them.

Bunty
10-13-2015, 01:05 AM

If the new one is located close to a major strip center, then they probably want to draw from its high traffic.

Zuplar
12-30-2015, 10:48 AM
Drove this way the other day and noticed they got some walls up and it's moving right along.

bchris02
01-15-2016, 08:16 AM
Wal-Mart to shutter 269 stores, 154 of them in the US | www.fox23.com (http://www.fox23.com/news/ap/business/wal-mart-to-shutter-269-stores-154-of-them-in-the-/np5pf/)

Given their dominance here, I doubt many OKC stores will be affected, but still, this is good to see. I normally don't rejoice at stores closing, but Wal-Mart has done so much damage to the U.S. retail economy and has treated its workers so poorly that I enjoy seeing them get whats coming.

stick47
01-15-2016, 08:24 AM
Funny they talked about increasing their online presence. I think the WM online experience is the worst online shopping experience I've had. So they think they'll do well against Amazon? This is some kind of joke right?

Filthy
01-15-2016, 09:25 AM
Funny they talked about increasing their online presence. I think the WM online experience is the worst online shopping experience I've had. So they think they'll do well against Amazon? This is some kind of joke right?

Although not grocery related, I just got back from spending a week in Vegas, for the CES show. Whether it be Sony, Panasonic, LG or Samsung....WalMart, and their online marketplace is "ALL THE BUZZ" right now. WalMart.com from a distribution standpoint, and ecommerce marketplace is the Hottest thing in CE. Current trends show that Walmart is actually dominating the Ecommerce field (in regards to fulfillment) and continues to cut away at amazon at an astonishing rate. They are already positioned from a logistics standpoint, and are rapidly growing their marketshare on the .com side. The reported numbers are somewhat underwelming, at something like 1.5% growth in the 4th quarter/2015..but, they are really well positioned now in marketplace. There are MANY in the industry that believe within the next 10 years, Walmart will surpass Amazon in regards to 3rd party Marketplace sales Volume, and 3rd Profit margins. So no..its not a joke.

Eric
01-15-2016, 09:42 AM
Wal-Mart to shutter 269 stores, 154 of them in the US | www.fox23.com (http://www.fox23.com/news/ap/business/wal-mart-to-shutter-269-stores-154-of-them-in-the-/np5pf/)

Given their dominance here, I doubt many OKC stores will be affected, but still, this is good to see. I normally don't rejoice at stores closing, but Wal-Mart has done so much damage to the U.S. retail economy and has treated its workers so poorly that I enjoy seeing them get whats coming.

...and the rest of the story.

Even as Walmart plans to close hundreds of locations, it also intends to open more than 300 stores in the next year, including 50 to 60 supercenters in the United States and 85 to 95 Neighborhood Markets. The stores that are to be shuttered are ones that the retailer says account for less than 1 percent of global revenue.

Of the 115 stores it is shuttering abroad, 60 are money-losing stores in Brazil; Another 55 are located in other Latin American markets.

The headline in my opinion was written by someone who shares your sentiment. The headline could have been Walmart plans to relocate 269 stores and open 31 more.

baralheia
01-15-2016, 09:46 AM
Of the 154 locations closing within the United States, two-thirds of them are all of their Walmart Express stores. Walmart Express stores were supposed to be comparable to (and compete with) small drugstores and discount retailers like Dollar General, selling the essentials and some fresh foods. These stores average around 15,000 sq. ft., significantly smaller than a regular Supercenter store. That leaves around 50 regular stores that they plan on closing, which honestly isn't many.

BBatesokc
01-15-2016, 10:02 AM

Ehhh, I don't share that opinion. Been an Amazon Prime member for years and I still often order from Walmart. I can use their app to see if an item is currently in stock locally and check the price. Also, I've found the site easy to navigate and order from. Best of all, twice now when I've ordered - the item I wanted apparently wasn't available, and they upgraded me at no charge. Most recently I ordered a new 5-gallon hot/cold water dispenser because our 8yr old one finally went out. I ordered a cheaper $89 one because it just sits in the laundry room. The inventory showed very low. Apparently they were out by the time they went to pull my order. They upgraded me to the almost $200 version for free!

Plus, I've used their new online grocery option a few times now. Works really well and means I don't go into the store!

Eric
01-15-2016, 11:21 AM
I looked at a couple of the Oklahoma store closings. All are in really REALLY small towns. Several that I could tell couldn't have been there more than a couple of years and appeared to be the Express type stores. I doubt they had "put anyone out of business" in that short amount of time. Dollar General in particular really seems to be saturating that market as of late.

Plutonic Panda
01-15-2016, 01:48 PM

I wouldn't be so happy. It doesn't matter if the company goes out of business tomorrow. They won. Look at how much money the company had and their stockholders. Not to mention the Walton's. Sad thing is, Sam Walton was actually a really decent person and would be sick to see what his company has become.

Mel
01-15-2016, 04:55 PM
Here is the written list without all the map cwap. Walmart Continues Sharpened Focus on Portfolio Management (http://news.walmart.com/news-archive/2016/01/15/walmart-continues-sharpened-focus-on-portfolio-management)

David
01-15-2016, 06:42 PM
If I am reading that right, all of the closed stores in Oklahoma are the Walmart Express type.

Walmart Express
Date closed to public

#3756: 124 E. Columbia St., Okemah, OK
1/28/2016

#4633: 19250 E Hwy 66, Luther, OK
1/28/2016

#2456: 2310 West Main, Prague, OK
1/28/2016

#2462: 1600 West Hwy 66, Stroud, OK
1/28/2016

#3766: 2324 Seran Drive, Wewoka, OK
1/28/2016

#3767: 812 N Clarence Nash Blvd., Watonga, OK
1/28/2016

rezman
01-19-2016, 09:19 AM
I see where the folks in Luther are pleading with Walmart to "bring back their field" in regards to the closing of the Walmart Express, that was built less than a year ago on land that was formerly home the Luther Schools football stadium, but was sold to Walmart after the completion of their new football stadium and high school on the other side of town.

I used to live out that way and after moving back into town, I've still kept in contact with friends that still live in the area. The deal with Walmart was no secret.

Seems to me that their protests are misdirected and should be aimed at the city leaders who green lighted the sale in the first place. Where were they when the property was being sold?. They should instead be asking their city council to make it right. And while they're at it, request a full accounting of where the funds from the sale were directed.

?Make things right,? local little league asks Walmart to rebuild lost field | KFOR.com (http://kfor.com/2016/01/19/make-things-right-local-little-league-asks-walmart-to-rebuild-lost-field/)

traxx
01-19-2016, 11:15 AM
Plus, I've used their new online grocery option a few times now. Works really well and means I don't go into the store!

How does this work? I'm guessing you purchase and pay online, but how do they know when and where to bring it out to you? Is this option best used for small purchases as opposed to large grocery buys.

Plutonic Panda
01-20-2016, 03:16 PM
https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/1552_1468263909853994_6931837395328695894_n.png?oh =b70825d10bb4c7dc5cb5e47b1550a8fb&oe=570458A7

Urbanized
01-22-2016, 04:03 PM
I see where the folks in Luther are pleading with Walmart to "bring back their field" in regards to the closing of the Walmart Express, that was built less than a year ago on land that was formerly home the Luther Schools football stadium, but was sold to Walmart after the completion of their new football stadium and high school on the other side of town...

My dad grew up in Luther and played football on that field in the 50s, and baseball on the adjoining diamond. Glad to say that he's still kicking and in good health, but I will say that a little piece of ME died on an afternoon Route 66 ride over the summer when I saw that the field was gone. Ever since I was a little kid, whenever I would go by that field would imagine him out there kicking butt, as most sons want to believe that their dads did when they themselves were boys.

traxx
01-29-2016, 02:43 PM

So I thought I'd try that yesterday. I created an account, shopped and got my cart all loaded with the expectation that I would be able to pick it up about five hours later. When I went to book the time, the first time available was the next day at 6pm. I had no idea you had to give them at least 30 hours lead time. I emptied the cart and logged out. I had to go to the store and do it the old fashioned way. This could've been really cool but turned out to be way too inconvenient.

Pete
01-29-2016, 02:48 PM
I noticed the Homeland at Britton & May offers this service but have no idea of the particulars.

They have parking spaces dedicate for it.

mugofbeer
01-29-2016, 03:53 PM

I'm sure the families and children of all those who lost their jobs rejoice, too. In the current economy, other employers will be falling all over themselves to offer only the highest paying jobs. I'm sure that all of those employees were so miserable andhated their jobs so much that they rejoice in having their lives turned upside down. I'm also confident that if some of those stores that are closing are in smaller towns, there will be hundreds of individuals coming out of the woodwork to take their places. I know Wal Mart wasn't always the best neighbor, but neither were employees coming in droves to say what a horrible place it was to work. Sure, the media can always find someone. And with 100s of stores there may be a few bad managers, but for many low income people, it is their lifeblood and saves them $100s every year.

ljbab728
01-29-2016, 08:52 PM
I noticed the Homeland at Britton & May offers this service but have no idea of the particulars.

They have parking spaces dedicate for it.

From what I have seen, the Homeland ordering is mostly for things like party trays, bakery, specialty items, etc. I don't think it is for general grocery shopping.

Tundra
01-29-2016, 09:14 PM
From what I have seen, the Homeland ordering is mostly for things like party trays, bakery, specialty items, etc. I don't think it is for general grocery shopping.

Oh yes it is, it's pretty handy for single moms with active kids... Put the order in and pick it up.and it's cheaper

ljbab728
01-29-2016, 09:34 PM
Oh yes it is, it's pretty handy for single moms with active kids... Put the order in and pick it up.and it's cheaper

You're correct. I was looking at the wrong place on the ordering system on their website. I never use it though. Why would it be cheaper?

Here are the details about the Homeland system.

http://shop.mywebgrocer.com/StorePolicy.aspx?&strid=1A91105467

Tundra
01-29-2016, 09:36 PM
You're correct. I was looking at the wrong place on the ordering system on their website. I never use it though. Why would it be cheaper?

Here are the details about the Homeland system.

http://shop.mywebgrocer.com/StorePolicy.aspx?&strid=1A91105467

I've gotta friend that has been using it a while and she said it's cheaper because she's not buying thing on impulse or the kids aren't throwing stuff in the basket... So cheaper in that sense...

ljbab728
01-29-2016, 09:39 PM
I've gotta friend that has been using it a while and she said it's cheaper because she's not buying thing on impulse or the kids aren't throwing stuff in the basket... So cheaper in that sense...
I see. That wouldn't help me then, because I go with a shopping list and rarely by anything on impulse. Also, when shopping for things like produce, meat, bakery items, or deli items, I don't want someone else picking those out for me.

Pete
02-15-2016, 07:44 AM
Did we already know there was a Walmart Neighborhood Market coming to the southwest corner of SW 134th and May?

Plans are out to bid.

Tavia
02-15-2016, 08:17 AM
Yes, there is also a new Braum's going in that same area.

bradh
02-15-2016, 08:51 AM
Did we already know there was a Walmart Neighborhood Market coming to the southwest corner of SW 134th and May?

Plans are out to bid.

Is that where the one is I sent you? I think that ones already under construction? I wonder why it posted again, the one in Stillwater also reposted.

Pete
02-15-2016, 09:17 AM
Yes, that's the one you sent me.

RadicalModerate
02-15-2016, 09:52 AM
I see where the folks in Luther are pleading with Walmart to "bring back their field" in regards to the closing of the Walmart Express, that was built less than a year ago on land that was formerly home the Luther Schools football stadium, but was sold to Walmart after the completion of their new football stadium and high school on the other side of town.

I used to live out that way and after moving back into town, I've still kept in contact with friends that still live in the area. The deal with Walmart was no secret.

Seems to me that their protests are misdirected and should be aimed at the city leaders who green lighted the sale in the first place. Where were they when the property was being sold?. They should instead be asking their city council to make it right. And while they're at it, request a full accounting of where the funds from the sale were directed.

?Make things right,? local little league asks Walmart to rebuild lost field | KFOR.com (http://kfor.com/2016/01/19/make-things-right-local-little-league-asks-walmart-to-rebuild-lost-field/)

With the proposed new (unwanted) "freeway" getting ready to cut through the unspoiled natural beauty of Eastern Oklahoma County, I wonder if Walmart pulled a boner in this case . . . oh: "pulled a boner" means "made a [marketing] mistake" not what some might have connoted. =~)

Pete
02-22-2016, 08:38 PM
From catch22:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/walmart022216.jpg

tfvc.org
02-22-2016, 09:10 PM
Pete I pass by this one and the one in S Norman every day (Live in Lex, work at MMAC) and the one in S norman looks like it is going to open in the next month or so. Today there was a bunch of cars parked in front which makes me think they are starting to stock shelves.