View Full Version : Renaming one or two blocks of Robinson downtown

Snowman
08-09-2013, 11:23 PM
So I heard that the Thunder are going to petition to change the name of a street by the arena to Thunder Drive, and found a post on newsok that the street they want to do this on is Robinson between Reno and SW 3rd.

http://m.newsok.com/article/3870736

I hope this gets rejected, it is one thing to have a vanity address on a dead end street of a suburban campus but we should not be renaming every block or two of a street that goes for several miles.

Mel
08-09-2013, 11:29 PM
They bring home the Championship, go ahead and give them it. I know a tune by Robert Mitchum that would be a dandy theme song for it.

Snowman
08-09-2013, 11:38 PM
If they were doing the convention center in a different spot, I could even see changing SW 2nd to that, it only goes over to Western from Robinson downtown and almost nowhere else in the city does it ever pick-up and continue under that name

ljbab728
08-09-2013, 11:40 PM
http://www.okctalk.com/general-civic-issues/34686-thunder-drive.html

Pete
08-10-2013, 08:04 AM
Many don't realize that one block of Robinson -- between Sheridan and Reno -- has been officially renamed Ron Norick Blvd.

venture
08-10-2013, 08:14 AM
For me this would just be like the renaming of the North Canadian in Oklahoma County...I still don't call it the Oklahoma River regardless of what sign they put up. :)

kevinpate
08-10-2013, 08:26 AM
Given all the hullaboo over the naming of the team, shouldn't the request be to name it Oklahoma City Thunder Drive?

</potstirred>

mkjeeves
08-10-2013, 09:15 AM
I was at the OKC city council meeting when Yukon Schools asked OKC to rename part of Mustang Road since it ran past and was the main feeder to their new high school and Mustang is their main rival. OKC said no with the reason cited that it's far too confusing for the general public to have name changes on portions of city streets.

Let's see how this one plays out.

SoonerBoy18
08-10-2013, 11:24 AM
I was at the OKC city council meeting when Yukon Schools asked OKC to rename part of Mustang Road since it ran past and was the main feeder to their new high school and Mustang is their main rival. OKC said no with the reason cited that it's far too confusing for the general public to have name changes on portions of city streets.

Let's see how this one plays out.

How did Yukon end up getting Yukon Parkway if Okc said No?

Snowman
08-10-2013, 12:29 PM
How did Yukon end up getting Yukon Parkway if Okc said No?

The road's centerline was the dividing line between Yukon and OKC when OKC could reject that for the northbound portion, they could already name the southbound half that was in Yukon whatever they wanted, in the end though a deal was later made to move the border so both directions are now in Yukon, which now has the duty to maintain both sides and gets to call it whatever it wants in the their limits. They also took over the half of 10th street OKC was responsible for near Yukon in the same deal. Outside of how silly renaming it was, the shared responsibility for roads is generally a pain any time maintenance or widening is needed, it is rarely equally important to both cities to have the work done and even if both want it, it complicates funding the project in a timely manor.

mkjeeves
08-10-2013, 01:03 PM
That must have happened later. I was there for other reasons, saw the no thanks theres the door which didn't include the offer by anyone on the council to continue the conversation in another manner. Guess it was pretty important to Yukon.

ljbab728
08-10-2013, 09:27 PM
Many don't realize that one block of Robinson -- between Sheridan and Reno -- has been officially renamed Ron Norick Blvd.

Which is also silly.

zookeeper
08-10-2013, 10:29 PM

Which is also silly.

Directions in 2030: Since you'll have your car, you'll want to dump it someplace so just turn left on Robinson which will turn into Ron Norick Blvd, which will then become Thunder Blvd, then keep going North where it's Robinson again, it becomes Durant Way for a block or two, but really you're still on Robinson, until it becomes Bennett Blvd, then Robinson, did I I tell you it's still all the same street? Anyway just go North, ignore the signs, until you get to the 23rd Street Promenade Parking which has these two cool looking gates that will take you underground, where you can park and leave the car for the day. Then just take one of the sets of steps into all the fountains, the park, and there's tons of stores and restaurants and art galleries up and down 23rd, an arty movie house that plays really old movies like Lord of the Rings and Brokeback Mountain, you know those vintagey films, it's very nice. If you want to go back East, take the Blue train and you'll pass Lincoln Blvd and the newly renovated Capitol building, or you can get out and take the Grey North along Lincoln, which becomes Burgess Blvd for a couple of blocks, then it's Lincoln again, stay on the Grey and get off at Cornett Station. You'll see the lights where you can catch one of the late night Moon trips. You think that's old hat, but you haven't been to the Moon until you go in one of our cool vintage Shuttle-looking crafts. Catch a midnight snack at one of those lunar eateries and you'll be back by 3am where you can hit the rack at the the 23rd Street Omni and just pick up your car in the morning. By the way, I can't believe you still drive an old-fashioned car. What's that about? Enjoy our city!

Snowman
08-10-2013, 10:46 PM
Is there a sign for Ron Norick Blvd? I know it says Robinson at Reno.