View Full Version : Deficient Bridges

HangryHippo
06-19-2013, 03:07 PM
This study released by Transportation for America shows that Oklahoma has the second highest number of structurally deficient bridges in the United States. I thought we were doing better at repairing our bridges, but it appears we've actually gotten worse. Pretty incredible. Only Pennsylvania is worse.

Transportation For America (http://t4america.org/resources/bridges/#?latlng=35.4675602,-97.51642759999999&bridge_id=)

Buffalo Bill
06-19-2013, 03:21 PM
This study released by Transportation for America shows that Oklahoma has the second highest number of structurally deficient bridges in the United States. I thought we were doing better at repairing our bridges, but it appears we've actually gotten worse. Pretty incredible. Only Pennsylvania is worse.

Transportation For America (http://t4america.org/resources/bridges/#?latlng=35.4675602,-97.51642759999999&bridge_id=)

The vast majority of these bridges are under the ownership and maintenance responsibilities of the counties and municipalities. Not saying it's not a big issue, but it bears mentioning.

HangryHippo
06-19-2013, 03:36 PM
The vast majority of these bridges are under the ownership and maintenance responsibilities of the counties and municipalities. Not saying it's not a big issue, but it bears mentioning.

Interesting. So when the state and ODOT tout that they're making progress, they are actually making progress?

OKCisOK4me
06-19-2013, 03:42 PM
One bridge at a time...

Larry OKC
06-20-2013, 11:51 AM
Think we were at the same spot a few years back when they were pushing the State Question to hike our gasoline tax (back when we were being threatened with $2/gal gas). Then they kept using scare tactic words like "structurally deficient" (leading folks to belief the bridges were unsafe). They would let it slip from time to time what the words really meant, that if the public was in danger, they would shut the bridge down immediately. As far as making progress, I think they are but it is a long-term multi-year (or decade plan). part of the problem is that all bridges get older every day and as they get one replaced/fixed from the backlog another bridge might get added to it.

KayneMo
06-20-2013, 09:34 PM
I don't know if this list is actually up to date... I checked the bridges in my hometown and two of the deficient bridges on the map have been demolished and totally redone. One of them was finished earlier this year (late Jan/early Feb) and the other was finished maybe around 2 years ago.

ljbab728
06-20-2013, 09:51 PM
This isn't up to date but shows the progress being made.

OKStateStat - Number of Structurally Deficient Bridges (http://www.ok.gov/okstatestat/Performance_Statistics/Transportation/Number_of_Structurally_Deficient_Bridges.html)

The number of structurally deficient bridges in Oklahoma dropped from 1042 in 2001 to 634 in 2011. That seems to be decent progress. There may be some difference in definitions of structurally deficient though. Also of interest is the Oklahoma report says there are a total of about 6,700 bridges in Oklahoma where the other report claims there are almost 24,000.

Buffalo Bill
06-21-2013, 07:15 AM
Also of interest is the Oklahoma report says there are a total of about 6,700 bridges in Oklahoma where the other report claims there are almost 24,000.

The 6700 number is the number of bridges that ODOT owns and maintains, or as the report notes:

This annualized graph reports the number of structurally deficient bridges counted among the 6,812 bridges that exist on the highway system (including the interstate highway system, the U.S. numbered highway system and the state numbered highway system).

The 24,000 number includes those owned and maintained by counties and municipalities.

Just the facts
06-21-2013, 07:18 AM
I had a Freudian slip. I read the title of this thread as "Deficit Bridges".

ljbab728
06-21-2013, 09:28 PM
I had a Freudian slip. I read the title of this thread as "Deficit Bridges".

So you saw the word "deficit" and hyperventilated, Kerry? LOL

Just the facts
06-21-2013, 09:40 PM
So you saw the word "deficit" and hyperventilated, Kerry? LOL

Sometimes the mind sees some letters and forms it own words. However, at the end of the day what is the difference between a deficit bridge and a deficient bridge? They are probably both derived from the same Latin root.

ljbab728
06-21-2013, 09:54 PM
Sometimes the mind sees some letters and forms it own words. However, at the end of the day what is the difference between a deficit bridge and a deficient bridge? They are probably both derived from the same Latin root.

You're correct. What they are called matters not.

king183
06-21-2013, 11:28 PM
There has been tremendous progress reducing the number the number of deficient bridges in the state as the above poster mentioned. The state is also enacting a plan that will completely eliminate deficient bridges (i.e, fix them or replace them) by 2020.

"The remaining 634 structurally deficient state highway bridges will be repaired or replaced by the end of the decade based on a work plan approved Monday by state road commissioners.

“Thanks to the governor and state Legislature's continued commitment to funding transportation, ODOT will be able to responsibly address the state's remaining structurally deficient bridges by the end of the decade,” Transportation Department Director Gary Ridley said. “After decades of major bridge problems, Oklahomans will finally have a safe and reliable bridge network that meets the needs of our growing state, and one for which we can all be proud.”

The number of structurally deficient bridges reached a high of 1,168 in 2004."

Oklahoma OKs $5.5B plan to fix bad bridges over eight years | News OK (http://newsok.com/oklahoma-oks-5.5b-plan-to-fix-bad-bridges-over-eight-years/article/3708672)

Larry OKC
06-27-2013, 01:37 PM
Sorry, but I don't put much stock in what Mr. Ridley says...he is known for, shall we say, hyperbole and untruths. Even if the plan takes care of all of the existing "remaining structurally deficient bridges by the end of the decade" (in direct contradiction to his claims that we were several multi-billions behind and decades behind when they were trying to get the State Question passed), it doesn't account for those bridges that get added to the list every year, does it?

Plutonic Panda
07-02-2013, 05:33 PM
Report shows improvement in state bridges » Local News » The Edmond Sun (http://www.edmondsun.com/local/x405444062/Report-shows-improvement-in-state-bridges)

soonerliberal
07-03-2013, 12:04 PM
2. Oklahoma
> Pct. of bridges structurally deficient: 22.6%
> Number of bridges structurally deficient: 5,382 (2nd most)
> Average bridge age: 46 years (13th highest)
> State gas tax: 17.0 cents (5th lowest)

None of the 10 states with a high percentage of deficient bridges has progressed less in repairing its bridges since 2011 than Oklahoma. In fact, the situation in Oklahoma further deteriorated. As many as 77 more bridges are deemed deficient now than were two years ago. More than 7.7 million vehicles use unsound bridges daily. In Tulsa County, 16.6% of daily bridge traffic is on bridges that need repairs or improvements. This amounts to an average of 7.2 million vehicles a day.

Read more: States with the Most Dangerous Bridges - 24/7 Wall St. States with the Most Dangerous Bridges - 24/7 Wall St. (http://247wallst.com/2013/06/24/states-with-the-most-dangerous-bridges/#ixzz2Y0UbILmh)

Larry OKC
07-10-2013, 01:01 PM
soonerliberal: that just isn't possible (according to the powers that be at ODOT etc)

Snowman
07-10-2013, 02:46 PM
soonerliberal: that just isn't possible (according to the powers that be at ODOT etc)

Not all the bridges are ODOT's, the total in the state can keep going up even if the number they are responsible fore is holding steady or decreasing.

Bellaboo
07-10-2013, 06:15 PM
2. Oklahoma
> Pct. of bridges structurally deficient: 22.6%
> Number of bridges structurally deficient: 5,382 (2nd most)
> Average bridge age: 46 years (13th highest)
> State gas tax: 17.0 cents (5th lowest)

None of the 10 states with a high percentage of deficient bridges has progressed less in repairing its bridges since 2011 than Oklahoma. In fact, the situation in Oklahoma further deteriorated. As many as 77 more bridges are deemed deficient now than were two years ago. More than 7.7 million vehicles use unsound bridges daily. In Tulsa County, 16.6% of daily bridge traffic is on bridges that need repairs or improvements. This amounts to an average of 7.2 million vehicles a day.

Read more: States with the Most Dangerous Bridges - 24/7 Wall St. States with the Most Dangerous Bridges - 24/7 Wall St. (http://247wallst.com/2013/06/24/states-with-the-most-dangerous-bridges/#ixzz2Y0UbILmh)

I question this number - Not even 4 million people live in the state, more than likely only 2/3 of them actually drive. I know people pass through on the interstates, but 7.7 million on an unsound bridge in the state daily ?

With only 16.6 % of the bridges in Tulsa county unsafe..... This number is grossly skewed or flawed.

bradh
07-10-2013, 08:40 PM
I can tell you from ODOT presentations I've heard, repairing bridges is a big part of their future, more so than any highway expansions.

Bunty
07-12-2013, 10:11 AM

No, doubt more counties need to vote on raising sales taxes to fund their bridges and roads, since the state can't keep up with its own bridges and highways.

king183
07-12-2013, 10:22 AM
To reiterate Plutonic Panda's post, it looks like we've made substantial progress and are now better than the national average. Still have a ways to go, though. Here's what the story says:

A recent bridge report by the Federal Highway Administration shows progress in the effort to lower the number of structurally deficient highway bridges in Oklahoma. The state is lowering the percentage of structurally deficient bridges in the U.S., the report shows.

Oklahoma had 1,168 structurally deficient bridges in 2005 when the state began addressing its need to improve highway bridges, said Mike Patterson, director of the Oklahoma Department of Transportation.

“We were at 17 percent (deficient) of our 6,800 bridges …,” Patterson said at an ODOT board of commissioners meeting Monday. “Now that we’re down as last reported by the Federal Highway Administration to 556 structurally deficient bridges on a 6,800-bridge system.”

The state’s 8 percent of structurally deficient bridges is now lower than the national average of 11 percent of deficient bridges, Patterson said.

Patterson commended the state Legislature and governor’s office for creating a plan to decrease the state’s number of deficient bridges to less than 1 percent by 2020.

Dulahey
07-12-2013, 12:40 PM
When 2020 hits and all the current deficient bridges are taken care of, there will indeed be more bridges that get added to the deficient list. However, the rule now is that as soon as a bridge is inspected and added to the deficient list, it will be placed in the 8 year work plan the very next year. So after 2020, we will always be keeping up with the old bridges. Yes, there will be bridges on the list but they'll only be there as long as it takes to design the new bridge and take care of everything else that goes along with it.