View Full Version : Where is Mike M?

SOONER8693
06-05-2013, 03:26 PM
I might have missed him, but, I haven't seen Mike Morgan on a news/weather/sports broadcast since last Friday.

Anonymous.
06-05-2013, 03:31 PM
He is on vacation. This time off was already planned prior to Friday's events.

OKCisOK4me
06-05-2013, 03:35 PM
KFOR probably had him take some vacation while the heat cools off on scapegoat central...

RadicalModerate
06-05-2013, 03:47 PM
Hope he didn't book a cruise on one of those notoriously unreliable corporate ocean going vessels . . .
dang: that would be like adding uncomfortablness to the risk of injury.

("scapegoat central": Excellent)

this isn't the same TV Station that has had recent "Helicopter" pilot problems, is it?
(no . . . that would be too difficult to believe.)

Tydude
06-05-2013, 04:42 PM
Some of the news people are taking time off after crazy news and weather coverage for the past 2 weeks

Mel
06-05-2013, 04:48 PM
Some of the news people are taking time off after crazy news and weather coverage for the past 2 weeks

Don't blame them. We all need a rest from the severe weather.

OKCTalker
06-06-2013, 09:05 AM
I need a rest from the severe weather forecasters (not you, Venture79!).

okc_bel_air
06-06-2013, 09:07 AM
He is getting slammed on NBC news now.

Oklahoma TV weatherman vilified for tornado advice - US news - Environment | NBC News (http://www.nbcnews.com/id/52116284)

Anonymous.
06-06-2013, 09:17 AM
Shocking, an article that makes it sound like MM caused those people to be "sucked out of their cars and tossed from roads". Yet those instances directly related to the tornado were on on and near I-40 out towards El Reno.

At least the article mentions at the end how he did the same thing on May 20 and nobody flipped out over that. Probably because there were homes wiped from slabs.

sgt. pepper
06-06-2013, 09:51 AM
The article also mentions another forecaster giving the same advice...but failed to mention his/her name. I am very surprised he gave such advice. I am no weather expert, but that just sounds like a bad idea.

RadicalModerate
06-06-2013, 09:59 AM
(Speech Bubble above the ship)
"Well, at least the Captain and half the crew took my advice . . ."
http://radio.foxnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/1-17-Capsized-Cruise-Ship.jpg

Fortunately there weren't a whole bunch of local "cargo cult" boats jamming up the seaways.
Then it could have been really bad.

venture
06-06-2013, 10:21 AM
The story is by Reuters so not just NBC...pretty much every online outlet has the story.

This is just a mess. Now if they were able to find any link to the comments and the significant number of deaths due to the flash flooding, that would be one thing. So far haven't see any connection there. Of course people dying in flood is almost ALWAYS preventable and it is people acting irresponsibly (or make a bad judgement) that gets them trapped. Yeah that might be a cold statement, but how many times do we hear "Turn Around, Don't Drown" and stay out of flood prone areas. Taking shelter from a tornado in a storm drain, with a heavy amount of rain expected that day, was a very bad call.

I feel for the families that lost people that day, but flood deaths are some of the most easily preventable ones if people don't act irrationally. Unfortunately a large tornado moving into the Metro area again didn't make that possible for some.

stratosphere
06-06-2013, 05:20 PM
Morgan is back today. That article is ugly, but I did wonder why he told people to head south, rather unfortunate considering our roads are not well equipped to handle the mass exodus that ensued.

When the Storm turned back northeast, we got in the car and headed north and were out of harms way in 10 minutes or less.

Uncle Slayton
06-07-2013, 10:48 AM
Guess the appropriate place for this video is here. It does look like the old arcade game "Asteroids", but purports to be storm chasers using an app for their smart phones, superimposed onto a map. The tornado (obviously) is the big white spot moving across the grid. Interesting and alarming, but supportive of those warning of 'chaser convergence'. I am uncertain, but from the comments on YouTube, the crew who died may or may not be graphically represented on this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=IVUHdCGqiSI

venture
06-07-2013, 12:23 PM
Well call me shocked. I didn't realize SN had a smart phone app. :) I've used SN since it first came out as a desktop application that pulled from a GPS receiver attached to the laptop.

OKCTalker
06-07-2013, 12:27 PM
You'd think that storm chasers would stay behind to help victims (including fellow storm chasers) who had been injured or killed, but I didn't see that in the depiction.

venture
06-07-2013, 12:39 PM
You'd think that storm chasers would stay behind to help victims (including fellow storm chasers) who had been injured or killed, but I didn't see that in the depiction.

There are quite a few that do. It is a double edged sword though. Go and help and be thanked for assisting or risk also being held responsible if you lift someone the wrong way and cause further injury. Not to mention, if you aren't a trained medical professional, and trying to help someone with a serious injury, there is only so much you can do.

Have you stopped every time you passed someone broken down on the side of the road or seen an accident? In my experience people are quick to call out others, but are just as guilty of having tunnel vision when in similar circumstances.

OKCTalker
06-07-2013, 12:56 PM
Have you stopped every time you passed someone broken down on the side of the road or seen an accident? In my experience people are quick to call out others, but are just as guilty of having tunnel vision when in similar circumstances.

Yes, I usually do, and the closest I've ever come to being caught in a tornado is when I stopped to assist victims of a crash in its path at 63rd & May. Like you I am well aware that the typical person doesn't stop to render aid (they tell you that in first aid & CPR training), and that those who step in have to take charge and delegate: "You - call 911. You - block traffic. You - make sure the vehicle's engine is turned off."

I'd think that professional storm chasers would be good at this. They have their wits about them, are accustomed to witnessing chaos and panic, and they would stop to help a brother. That's why I wondered why we didn't see clusters of them in the storm's wake on this video.

venture
06-07-2013, 01:32 PM
Yes, I usually do, and the closest I've ever come to being caught in a tornado is when I stopped to assist victims of a crash in its path at 63rd & May. Like you I am well aware that the typical person doesn't stop to render aid (they tell you that in first aid & CPR training), and that those who step in have to take charge and delegate: "You - call 911. You - block traffic. You - make sure the vehicle's engine is turned off."

I'd think that professional storm chasers would be good at this. They have their wits about them, are accustomed to witnessing chaos and panic, and they would stop to help a brother. That's why I wondered why we didn't see clusters of them in the storm's wake on this video.

Well the other part is that the typical chaser is going to be positioned away from the damage area and also maybe even slightly ahead of it...so they usually aren't going to be directly exposed to the damage path in this case. Those following behind in the damage path are going to be those exposed to it. Many of the chaser reports from those who go through damaged areas usually mention them stopping to help.

For myself I've never been in the position to stop to help because I've always usually given myself a 2-3 mile, if not more, cushion between myself and the tornado and therefore removed from the damage area. At that point, emergency crews are already rushing in and those are who need to get the impacted areas - not storm chasers.

TaoMaas
06-07-2013, 03:44 PM
These guys are also there to give eye-witness reports of what the storm is doing to many, many people because radar can only tell you so much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xa6c3OTr6yA

Uncle Slayton
06-07-2013, 05:07 PM
This guy has an interesting narrative (loadedgunchasing) about the situation on the ground that day. Usual YouTube caveats apply, ignore the trolls and bullwa****a.

Page 1 of comments on May 31 El Reno tornado hitting storm chaser Mikey Gribble - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/all_comments?v=ZDl3kVRrNd0)

CuatrodeMayo
06-07-2013, 11:01 PM
Guess the appropriate place for this video is here. It does look like the old arcade game "Asteroids", but purports to be storm chasers using an app for their smart phones, superimposed onto a map. The tornado (obviously) is the big white spot moving across the grid. Interesting and alarming, but supportive of those warning of 'chaser convergence'. I am uncertain, but from the comments on YouTube, the crew who died may or may not be graphically represented on this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=IVUHdCGqiSI

Not sure I would call them "chasers" in this instance...more like "chasees"

stratosphere
06-09-2013, 03:33 PM

when was there a tornado at 63rd and May?

mkjeeves
06-09-2013, 04:11 PM

There was one there 10 to 15 years ago. It formed out by Yukon IIRC, went northeast, came across the lake, hit what was then Jumbo Sports and other stuff.

I was in Jumbo, walked outside, saw the rotation directly overhead, went to the south end of the building and looked west at an approaching debris cloud coming up behind the building at us, then I went back inside. Everyone in the store got in the bathrooms until it was done rumbling over. It took some air conditioners off the roof of that building and did other damage coming and going.

On second thought, that was Britton and May and what is now a wine store. I think the 63rd and May tornado that did a lot of damage to houses in the area was a few years later.

OKCTalker
06-10-2013, 07:16 AM

It was May 8, 2003 as I recall, the second of a two-day event that went through the metro, this one on the northerly track. There was circulation on radar but being dark no rotation was observed (if there was any). I was going east on 63rd until I got to May and found the car accident. OCFD showed up moments later and then someone said it was on the ground at Baptist (Integris) (it wasn't) and headed our way. The firefighters put all victims into their rigs and left. I've never seen that before. I was the last to leave the scene and the door was almost ripped off my car when I opened it. Those were the highest winds I've ever experienced, although I never saw the tornado due to darkness.

stratosphere
06-11-2013, 06:49 PM
There was one there 10 to 15 years ago. It formed out by Yukon IIRC, went northeast, came across the lake, hit what was then Jumbo Sports and other stuff.

I was in Jumbo, walked outside, saw the rotation directly overhead, went to the south end of the building and looked west at an approaching debris cloud coming up behind the building at us, then I went back inside. Everyone in the store got in the bathrooms until it was done rumbling over. It took some air conditioners off the roof of that building and did other damage coming and going.

On second thought, that was Britton and May and what is now a wine store. I think the 63rd and May tornado that did a lot of damage to houses in the area was a few years later.

It was May 8, 2003 as I recall, the second of a two-day event that went through the metro, this one on the northerly track. There was circulation on radar but being dark no rotation was observed (if there was any). I was going east on 63rd until I got to May and found the car accident. OCFD showed up moments later and then someone said it was on the ground at Baptist (Integris) (it wasn't) and headed our way. The firefighters put all victims into their rigs and left. I've never seen that before. I was the last to leave the scene and the door was almost ripped off my car when I opened it. Those were the highest winds I've ever experienced, although I never saw the tornado due to darkness.

Thanks, never heard of that. I guess I remember the May 6th tornado in Moore and OKC, I was still living in Norman at the time. Once I moved out of Norman, it appears they have all kinds of bad weather now. Before that it almost seemed that Norman was untouchable for many years.

CuatrodeMayo
06-14-2013, 09:58 AM
The Oklahoman seems to be going after MM and KFOR: 5 died when Oklahoma family fled to drainage tunnel to escape tornadoes | News OK (http://newsok.com/5-died-when-oklahoma-family-fled-to-drainage-tunnel-to-escape-tornadoes/article/3849538)

EDIT: I just realized this was posted in another thread. My apologies.

bchris02
06-14-2013, 12:33 PM
This keeps getting worse and worse. I am hoping this puts an end to the meteorologists pleading with viewers to try to outrun these storms. While in certain scenarios it might be an alright idea, to put the entire city in a panic frenzy is plain irresponsible and on May 31st, it caused a lot of deaths that would have been avoided if everyone would have stayed at home. Your odds are actually better staying at home. Even an EF0 tornado can be deadly if you are out in your car.

BlackmoreRulz
06-17-2013, 12:55 PM
FoxNews debating MM

OKCTalker
06-17-2013, 01:43 PM
Yesterday's DO carried a front-page story about how & where each of the victims died as a result of the May 31 storm. Every one died either in their car or from drowning. No-one died in their home.

Buffalo Bill
06-17-2013, 02:32 PM
Yesterday's DO carried a front-page story about how & where each of the victims died as a result of the May 31 storm. Every one died either in their car or from drowning. No-one died in their home.

nor did anyone die, "driving to Chickasha".

Achilleslastand
06-17-2013, 06:03 PM

The tornado you speak of was June of 98 if im not mistaken. Came across Lake Hefner went due east pretty much in the village/nh/okc/britton. China House resteraunt on n may never reopened after the damage they sustained.

OKCisOK4me
06-17-2013, 06:17 PM
The tornado you speak of was June of 98 if im not mistaken. Came across Lake Hefner went due east pretty much in the village/nh/okc/britton. China House resteraunt on n may never reopened after the damage they sustained.

Went right through also by Frontier City (not to be confused with the one that Gary England christened their radar with the name MOAR).

boscorama
06-17-2013, 06:50 PM
[QUOTE=OKCisOK4me;655553]Went right through also by Frontier City (not to be confused with the one that Gary England christened their radar with the name MOAR).[/QUOTE

Yes, it was the day before Father's Day.

OKCisOK4me
06-17-2013, 07:57 PM
Great memory!

Jim Kyle
06-17-2013, 08:22 PM
The tornado you speak of was June of 98 if im not mistaken. Came across Lake Hefner went due east pretty much in the village/nh/okc/britton.Yep. Tge storm took part of the roof off at OKC Golf & Country Club (where my HS class was having its 50th reunion at the time), and toppled the WKY radio tower. It was the first time the cell-phone-based remote video system I helped create for KWTV got battle-tested. Hank Brown had the unit in his vehicle and sent back a clip of the funnel crossing the parkway after it ripped through the yacht club at Hefner. That original unit is no longer in use, of course; today's remote relay is much better. In 1998, we had to (a) store the video on the hard drive of a desktop PC running off of an AC converter in the car, then (b) convert the video to mp4 format, (c) send the mp4 file to the station via cell phone relay (same technology as that used to download files from the web), (d) store on another hard drive at the station, (e) select which if any clip to show, and finally (f) put it on the air. The goal was to get on the air within 5 minutes after the original shot. Today, they can go on the air with no delay.

boscorama
06-17-2013, 09:45 PM
Back to Mike Morgan. Exactly what do people want him to do? Apologize during weathercast for telling viewers to drive south? Cry on the air? Resign? Get fired?

Myself, I'm somewhat annoyed with what I've seen of his return from vacation. I just don't know what to make of it. I have pangs of he should acknowledge something

... something more than the red pins honoring the tornado victims, like a bedazzled tie bonus.

Come on, Mike!

ljbab728
06-17-2013, 09:51 PM
He did something tonight that I'm sure has some connection. He revealed that the weather crew are going to start wearing small red hearts as a symbol of their feelings about the people of Moore and those who were so drastically affected by the storms.

Bunty
06-18-2013, 12:01 AM
Back to Mike Morgan. Exactly what do people want him to do? Apologize during weathercast for telling viewers to drive south? Cry on the air? Resign? Get fired?

Myself, I'm somewhat annoyed with what I've seen of his return from vacation. I just don't know what to make of it. I have pangs of he should acknowledge something

... something more than the red pins honoring the tornado victims, like a bedazzled tie bonus.

Come on, Mike!
I don't think it was a bad idea to advise to drive south if you were already on the road in your car listening to the situation on the radio. But people in their homes should have remained there and taken cover in one of the smallest rooms near the center. When Morgan said to drive south he sounded like he meant everyone do that where ever they were. After his bad advice, it's amazing that Morgan has been doing TV weather in Oklahoma ever since the 1980s.

I don't care what Morgan does, or doesn't do. If station management thinks he needs fired they will surely do it. Hopefully, more people who don't have a storm shelter will see the need to get one.

kelroy55
06-18-2013, 01:42 PM
Speaking of weather guys... The Lost Ogle had a piece on Tuttle

Aaron Tuttle is sad? | The Lost Ogle (http://www.thelostogle.com/2013/06/18/aaron-tuttle-is-sad/)

Anonymous.
06-18-2013, 01:56 PM
What the.... I had no idea Tuttle did that stuff. That is creepy.

soonerguru
06-18-2013, 03:23 PM
How does Tuttle rant about the Federal government when he work for them? Does he hate his employer? If you hate it so much, leave; there are plenty of aspiring meteorologists who would love his job.

adaniel
06-18-2013, 04:16 PM
Speaking of weather guys... The Lost Ogle had a piece on Tuttle

Aaron Tuttle is sad? | The Lost Ogle (http://www.thelostogle.com/2013/06/18/aaron-tuttle-is-sad/)

Stuff like this is the reason I'm just about done with facebook. I don't need to see your weird selfies and I don't need you spouting your political views at me. Unfortunate that he does both.