View Full Version : Moore Medical Center Damage

Pages : [1] 2

Charlie40
05-28-2013, 10:19 AM
Has anyone heard if the Moore Medical Ctr will be stripped down to the metal frame and rebuilt or is it too damaged and will have to be torn down completely and rebuilt or never rebuilt ?

Also any word on the Camden Shopping ctr on 19th close to Santa Fe? when I drove through there on Saturday I couldn't tell if the structure was still sound or if it will have to be torn completely down and rebuilt ?

Also has anyone been in contact with Jim Evans agency? he was my Insurance guy with State Farm and there building was just north of Tinker credit union and is pretty much demolished from the storm.

HangryHippo
05-28-2013, 10:28 AM
Has anyone heard if the Moore Medical Ctr will be stripped down to the metal frame and rebuilt or is it too damaged and will have to be torn down completely and rebuilt or never rebuilt ?

Also any word on the Camden Shopping ctr on 19th close to Santa Fe? when I drove through there on Saturday I couldn't tell if the structure was still sound or if it will have to be torn completely down and rebuilt ?

Also has anyone been in contact with Jim Evans agency? he was my Insurance guy with State Farm and there building was just north of Tinker credit union and is pretty much demolished from the storm.

I wondered this myself. Doesn't Norman Regional own the complex? Perhaps they'll use this as a chance to consolidate in Norman?

Charlie40
05-28-2013, 10:55 AM
I wondered this myself. Doesn't Norman Regional own the complex? Perhaps they'll use this as a chance to consolidate in Norman?

Yes Norman Reginal owns MMC so with Norman reginal as close as it is they may decide rebuilding the Moore hospital is too cosly. I dont know how much Business the Moore hospital had but wouldn't be more than the 2 Norman hospitals I wouldnt imagine.

kevinpate
05-28-2013, 11:55 AM
Just me thinking aloud. If I were king for a day of NRHS, I'd look at the Moore site as a location for a new specialty center, rather than consider a rebuild scenario.

Charlie40
05-28-2013, 12:26 PM
Just me thinking aloud. If I were king for a day of NRHS, I'd look at the Moore site as a location for a new specialty center, rather than consider a rebuild scenario.

Yeah they may do something like that or clear and sell the property.

OKCTalker
05-28-2013, 12:32 PM
Could this be a second chance for Integris? Moore was in bankruptcy when acquired by Norman six years ago for $34 million. Integris was second at $32 million, and its CEO Stan Hupfield said, "We are hopeful they (Norman) will serve the citizens of Moore with the kind of care they deserve. We will continue to look for ways Integris can serve that community as well. We are pleased that the community of Moore will continue to have a hospital and we look forward to serving the Moore community through our clinics and hospitals."

I'm not sure that a specialty hospital makes sense. Obamacare in trying to curtail the use of specialty centers, and cutting back reimbursements for their services.

G.Walker
05-28-2013, 02:07 PM
Whatever they need to do, they need to do it quick, I don't like the idea of a city with 60,000 residents not having a close emergency room to go to.

Charlie40
05-28-2013, 04:58 PM
Whatever they need to do, they need to do it quick, I don't like the idea of a city with 60,000 residents not having a close emergency room to go to.

Norman or Southwest Medical Ctr. those are likely our choices for now and from now on.

Easy180
05-28-2013, 06:44 PM
Dan Mcguinness had a Facebook post stating even though they made it through the entire strip center will be bulldozed. Said they will be back just not sure of the location

Questor
05-28-2013, 07:46 PM
Yeah, the liquor store to the left of Dan McGuinness looks absolutely terrible. Can't imagine the strip mall has any structural integrity left because of it.

On Moore Medical Center, FYI many of the doctors that had offices in there have already relocated to the Norman Regional HealthPlex on Tecumseh Road.

Zuplar
05-28-2013, 08:32 PM
I mean with Norman Regional and even OU Medical somewhat close I don't see the need. There is also a St. Anthonys off of I44. Maybe do an urgent care with some emergency room capabilities, but anything serious I wouldn't mess with that hospital anyways. Leave it to the big boys who have the proper equipment. I know with the Integris in Yukon I've heard of too many horrors of Doctors getting in over their head because they weren't staffed adequately and didn't have the proper equipment. This even happened to a family member. Since then it's been known as the butcher shop.

jn1780
05-28-2013, 08:46 PM
I got a text from state farm saying Jim Evans is relocated to 515 Telephone road

venture
05-28-2013, 09:54 PM
In the Transcript today: Officials unsure if Moore Medical Center will be rebuilt » Headlines » The Norman Transcript (http://normantranscript.com/headlines/x2026366387/Officials-unsure-if-Moore-Medical-Center-will-be-rebuilt)

The gist...they are still waiting to see if they need to do a complete rebuild or repair the existing frame. For now everyone has been relocated either to the Porter campus, the Healthplex or other clinics.

They are dedicated to Moore, so I feel there will be a hospital or at least some facility there.

G.Walker
05-28-2013, 10:02 PM
Something needs to be available to Moore residents. I live in east Moore, closer to Sooner, and nothing is close now. That extra 10 mins to have to drive to Norman for an emergency can determine life or death.

venture
05-29-2013, 07:55 AM
Well we got our answer: Moore Medical Center to be demolished » New and Developing » The Norman Transcript (http://normantranscript.com/new/x857485524/Moore-Medical-Center-to-be-demolished)

HangryHippo
05-29-2013, 08:16 AM
I believe this will work out okay. Wasn't that hospital on financially shaky ground? Maybe they can build something a little smaller with more urgent services and let patients travel to the other regional facilities.

bombermwc
05-29-2013, 09:17 AM
Keep in mind that there are other ER options in the area...although none of them are super close. Places like the Heart Hospital on 240. And also remember that until MMC, Midwest City was the ER for Moore. Midwest City ambulances covered the area and transported to Midwest Regional. Moore wasn't at large as it is now either. With the growing population, i'm sure you'll see something there, but it probably won't be what MMC was. Remember when Schuster built MMC (which was doomed from day 1 with him in charge), it was meant to be independant (The ER was contracturally staffed by Midwest City physicians/nurses) so it covered more services than a new center will.

What I would imagine the new center will be, is more ER like the free-standing centers. It will have limited care but can cover most ER visits. Anything major would then tranfer to Healthplex or Regional. You'll probably see a lore more Outpatient type work and i would bet more physician offices rather than services. Lab work facilities, maybe an MRI or something like that....but you will not see a full-service hospital there with the Healthplex so close (from the same owners). If Integris owned it, it would be a different story. But since Norman owns it, you won't see them creating competition for their own facilities. I'm not dissing Norman here, but by being owned by them, it simply alters what the purpose of the place will be.

I, for one, hope that they take a more vertical approach and sprawl it out less.

Zuplar
05-29-2013, 11:52 AM
I believe this will work out okay. Wasn't that hospital on financially shaky ground? Maybe they can build something a little smaller with more urgent services and let patients travel to the other regional facilities.

I agree.

Zuplar
05-29-2013, 01:26 PM
Got this from one of the local hospitals.

G.Walker
05-29-2013, 01:52 PM
As a Moore resident, I don't think there needs to be a full scale hospital in Moore, but they need something like those mini St. Anthony's Healthplexes scattered around the metro. They need something for emergencies, with a population of over 60,000 and growing, this needs to be addressed, and the population of Norman is not getting any smaller.

HangryHippo
05-29-2013, 02:55 PM
Something like the St. Anthony healthplex is exactly what Moore needs. I couldn't think of it for my earlier but that's precisely what I had in mind. Moore shouldn't compete with the larger hospitals in OKC and Norman, but they need some sort of facility and one of those plexes would work.

bille
05-30-2013, 12:00 PM
The original Moore hospital (now the school admin building, that was also nearly wiped completely out) couldn't hang and even with the major growth of Moore after the '99 tornado the new medical center couldn't be profitable. Norman had to give it life support just so it would stay open and it nearly bankrupted them in doing so, right? I still can't understand why Norman opted to buy the MMC but personally I'd see this as a way for them while still saving face.

Sure somebody could put in a St Anthony type center but it's not like MMC was a major hospital, how different could it be?

OKCTalker
05-30-2013, 12:15 PM
I understand that MMC went on a hiring binge after NRH bought them. When they realized that this was unsustainable, cutbacks ensued and morale hit the floor.

Because MMC was financially unsuccessful both before and after the NRH acquisition, a different business model must be implemented if another group wants to enter this space. You know that the City of Moore and Moore Chamber are doing everything they can to make that happen.

G.Walker
06-03-2013, 07:58 PM
Well the NRHS is committed to rebuild in Moore, good deal.

Moore Medical Center to be demolished | The Journal Record (http://journalrecord.com/2013/06/03/moore-medical-center-to-be-demolished-health-care/)

Easy180
06-03-2013, 08:05 PM

Moore Medical Center to be demolished | The Journal Record (http://journalrecord.com/2013/06/03/moore-medical-center-to-be-demolished-health-care/)

That is a good deal...Wifey delivered both of our kiddos there...Well run hospital (non financially speaking)

HangryHippo
06-04-2013, 07:25 AM

Yep, and it sounds like they're also committed to right-sizing that facility and providing what Moore needs while allowing their newish healthplex and Norman Regional handle the rest. Good ideas all around.

venture
06-04-2013, 11:17 PM
Yep, and it sounds like they're also committed to right-sizing that facility and providing what Moore needs while allowing their newish healthplex and Norman Regional handle the rest. Good ideas all around.

Yup. Glad to hear they are staying in Moore. Also agree with you that the right sizing of the facility is going to really going to help the long term stability of the facility.

catch22
06-25-2013, 08:12 AM
They will be announcing future plans for the Moore Medical Center today.

Zuplar
06-25-2013, 09:47 AM
I guess that's to coincide with the demo?

macfoucin
06-25-2013, 10:51 AM
Demolition Begins At Moore Medical Center; Will Be Rebuilt - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports | (http://www.news9.com/story/22681354/demolition-begins-at-moore-medical-center-center-will-be-rebuilt)

It was announced at the end of Tuesday's remembrance ceremony that the building will be replaced. An advisory committee will soon begin meeting to determine what the new Moore Medical Center will look like.

Until the center is rebuilt, a temporary site will be set up.

OKCisOK4me
06-25-2013, 02:59 PM
Will they build the same footprint or will they be looking at a new design? Was thinking a round shaped building...

jn1780
06-25-2013, 08:30 PM
Will they build the same footprint or will they be looking at a new design? Was thinking a round shaped building...

An advisory committee will determine what is practical for the Moore. I wouldn't be surprised if it was smaller facility.

Zuplar
06-25-2013, 09:27 PM
An advisory committee will determine what is practical for the Moore. I wouldn't be surprised if it was smaller facility.

I'd bet on it, but I've been wrong before.

MWCGuy
06-26-2013, 01:27 AM
A couple of things to note:

The Tornado hitting Moore Medical Center is blessing in disguise for the Norman Regional System. They overpaid for MMC when they got into a bidding war with INTEGRIS when the Schuster (SP) Group went belly up leaving several Oklahoma Communities scrambling to save their local hospitals and pay back pay to the employees who stuck it out after the bankruptcy commenced. Over paying for MMC and the construction of the Healthplex put them deep in debt. The changes in the health care laws changed the situation from bad to worse. Medicare reimbursements were cut and many people are not paying their medical bills because they believe the government is going to pick up the bill where insurance does not. The hype for the left and the right have left many patients confused on what or if they have to pay.

The insurance policy payout and not having to pay for the cost of operating MMC is going to save the Norman Regional System millions.

Before the tornado they were on the market to be sold and it was not exactly a secret either. The employees were told INTEGRIS, Mercy and Saints had each solicited offers and they were just going through the final process to pick who the winning bidder would be.

Now that Moore is no longer in the picture, this may have given the Norman Regional System a reprieve allowing to survive a little longer on their own. If they do reopen, I am willing to be it will be a free standing ER with medical offices and outpatient surgery on sight. Everything else will likely be piped down to the campuses on Tecumseh and Porter. They could easily run the same type facility Saints is running in Midwest City and on SW 134th. They already have their own ambulance service. To help secure a hospital in some form I'm willing to bet Moore would be willing to switch from Midwest EMS to Norman Regional/EMSTAT for their city ambulance service.

The other thing that should be noted is that INTEGRIS owns vacant land at the corner of SW 34th and Telephone that is big enough for a new hospital. Even if Norman Regional were to abandon the site of MMC INTEGRIS would likely start construction by fall.

July is the beginning of FY2014 for most of the city's hospitals. I am going to look into my crystal ball and predict one or more of the following:

1. Norman Regional announces a name change to Mercy, Saints or INTEGRIS.
2. Norman Regional announces they will open a Urgent Care/Clinic at the site of Moore Medical or some place close by.
3. INTEGRIS announces the construction/ground breaking of INTEGRIS Health Hospital Moore

Then again I could be wrong and none of these could happen.

HangryHippo
06-26-2013, 08:17 AM
A couple of things to note:

The Tornado hitting Moore Medical Center is blessing in disguise for the Norman Regional System. They overpaid for MMC when they got into a bidding war with INTEGRIS when the Schuster (SP) Group went belly up leaving several Oklahoma Communities scrambling to save their local hospitals and pay back pay to the employees who stuck it out after the bankruptcy commenced. Over paying for MMC and the construction of the Healthplex put them deep in debt. The changes in the health care laws changed the situation from bad to worse. Medicare reimbursements were cut and many people are not paying their medical bills because they believe the government is going to pick up the bill where insurance does not. The hype for the left and the right have left many patients confused on what or if they have to pay.

The insurance policy payout and not having to pay for the cost of operating MMC is going to save the Norman Regional System millions.

Before the tornado they were on the market to be sold and it was not exactly a secret either. The employees were told INTEGRIS, Mercy and Saints had each solicited offers and they were just going through the final process to pick who the winning bidder would be.

Now that Moore is no longer in the picture, this may have given the Norman Regional System a reprieve allowing to survive a little longer on their own. If they do reopen, I am willing to be it will be a free standing ER with medical offices and outpatient surgery on sight. Everything else will likely be piped down to the campuses on Tecumseh and Porter. They could easily run the same type facility Saints is running in Midwest City and on SW 134th. They already have their own ambulance service. To help secure a hospital in some form I'm willing to bet Moore would be willing to switch from Midwest EMS to Norman Regional/EMSTAT for their city ambulance service.

The other thing that should be noted is that INTEGRIS owns vacant land at the corner of SW 34th and Telephone that is big enough for a new hospital. Even if Norman Regional were to abandon the site of MMC INTEGRIS would likely start construction by fall.

July is the beginning of FY2014 for most of the city's hospitals. I am going to look into my crystal ball and predict one or more of the following:

1. Norman Regional announces a name change to Mercy, Saints or INTEGRIS.
2. Norman Regional announces they will open a Urgent Care/Clinic at the site of Moore Medical or some place close by.
3. INTEGRIS announces the construction/ground breaking of INTEGRIS Health Hospital Moore

Then again I could be wrong and none of these could happen.

You think the Norman Regional Health System is going to be sold off in its entirety to Saints or Integris? I just don't see that happening.

MWCGuy
06-27-2013, 12:26 AM
The Norman Regional Health System has been debt for sometime. Most of that debt they incurred when they purchased Moore Medical Center. My sisters are nurses, older sister works at Mercy and younger sister works at INTEGRIS and Saints. (most nurses in okc work at more than one hospital) The hospital rumor mills are pretty accurate they new about INTEGRIS' partnership with Lakeside months before it happened. They tell me that an announcement was due to roll out around the time the tornado hit. However, the tornado put the plan on hold until they could figure out the outcome of Moore Medical Center. Now that Moore is a memory, that may save the Norman Regional System.

soonermike
10-29-2013, 10:03 AM
The Norman Regional Hospital Authority has approved plans for a new, 100,000-square-foot, $28.8 million facility for the town of Moore, which was hit by a devastating tornado in May.

Plans approved for new hospital in Moore | News OK (http://newsok.com/plans-approved-for-new-hospital-in-moore/article/3898771)

Easy180
10-29-2013, 10:07 AM
Quite the upgrade for Moore!!

MonkeesFan
10-29-2013, 10:18 AM
The Norman Regional Hospital Authority has approved plans for a new, 100,000-square-foot, $28.8 million facility for the town of Moore, which was hit by a devastating tornado in May.

Plans approved for new hospital in Moore | News OK (http://newsok.com/plans-approved-for-new-hospital-in-moore/article/3898771)

I sort of wish they would leave it blank because what if another torando hits it and they have to rebuild again?

venture
10-29-2013, 10:39 AM
I sort of wish they would leave it blank because what if another torando hits it and they have to rebuild again?

So are they just suppose to leave every lot blank because of a "torando" coming through at some point?

Here is the photo from the article...

http://d6673sr63mbv7.cloudfront.net/archive/x1909752484/g0002580000000000008085b14c9d59ce72a8d227b2df7a620 eda5857f5.jpg

MonkeesFan
10-29-2013, 10:57 AM
So are they just suppose to leave every lot blank because of a "torando" coming through at some point?

http://d6673sr63mbv7.cloudfront.net/archive/x1909752484/g0002580000000000008085b14c9d59ce72a8d227b2df7a620 eda5857f5.jpg

Yeah, what is the point of rebuilding over and over since Moore is a tornado magnet?

That is ugly and it looks like a business building than a hospital

venture
10-29-2013, 11:06 AM
Yeah, what is the point of rebuilding over and over since Moore is a tornado magnet?

That is ugly and it looks like a business building than a hospital

To highlight the idiocy of your statement...you are suggesting we just shouldn't rebuild because of tornadoes? So why not apply that concept to EVERY place a tornado hits in Oklahoma? Here is a map of roughly 60% of the tornadoes that have happened since 1950 (there were about 3500 but only 2500 can be displayed at once). Using your glorious logic...Oklahoma would be one big open field.

http://www.weatherspotlight.com/screencap/oct13/oktor.png

As far as the look of the building. If you bothered to read the article, it is mostly going to be an office building with some hospital functions - ER and such. It isn't going to have a full in-patient operation. They also wanted to stick with the look of the Healthplex as well.

Jesseda
10-29-2013, 11:24 AM
Does anyone know how big the old hospital was

Jesseda
10-29-2013, 11:33 AM
the only thing I don't like is that it looks to be a lot of glass

Dustin
10-29-2013, 11:47 AM
the only thing I don't like is that it looks to be a lot of glass

Ya and what's up with that red thing on the side of the building? Are they making fun of all the blood that was shed on May 20th? All the survivors should sue!

KayneMo
10-29-2013, 11:57 AM
I love it! Especially the curved facade.

kevinpate
10-29-2013, 12:00 PM
There are some odd thoughts in this thread. Of course, that might help explain how we have the govt. that we do.

catch22
10-29-2013, 01:17 PM
Looks good. Moore doesn't have much of a modern look. This will be a good change up of the Moore "architectural" theme.

Zuplar
10-29-2013, 01:36 PM
I feel like this is overkill for the fact that Norman Regional has a big new hospital not too far down the road. Of course maybe they know something I don't and that it really is needed. I just hate to see them get in over their head and go bankrupt and leave Moore again without a hospital.

Hopefully it turns out well, I think it looks nice and will look very good next to the Warren.

Dar405301
10-29-2013, 01:56 PM
I love it

jerrywall
10-29-2013, 02:18 PM
I'm sure. And I like the glass look. Very clean. It's not just here that I've noticed it; it seems like lots of buildings lately have gone for the glass heavy look. As someone who's replaced 3 roofs in 5 years, and had 2 cars "totaled" for hail damage, it just always gives me a chuckle. I'm sure they use stuff that is plenty storm resistant though.

jn1780
10-29-2013, 04:20 PM
I feel like this is overkill for the fact that Norman Regional has a big new hospital not too far down the road. Of course maybe they know something I don't and that it really is needed. I just hate to see them get in over their head and go bankrupt and leave Moore again without a hospital.

Hopefully it turns out well, I think it looks nice and will look very good next to the Warren.

They are eliminating inpatient services so they are adapting to the changes of the healthcare industry in the area. I said before when the Moore Medical Center was destroyed that they would build a slightly smaller facility that is more in line to what St. Anthony built on I-44.

jn1780
10-29-2013, 04:26 PM

Its a smaller version of the building in Norman.

And 5 stories will make it the tallest building in Moore.

Plutonic Panda
10-29-2013, 04:41 PM
Just out of curiosity, what is maximum height limit in Moore?

Zuplar
10-29-2013, 05:16 PM
They are eliminating inpatient services so they are adapting to the changes of the healthcare industry in the area. I said before when the Moore Medical Center was destroyed that they would build a slightly smaller facility that is more in line to what St. Anthony built on I-44.

And I had thought it was going to be smaller as well, I guess it's just hard to tell from the renderings. It looks nicer IMO, I'm nor sure on how big the old one was, but either way it looks like an upgrade.

BG918
10-29-2013, 05:59 PM
Were there in-patient services in the old hospital? Or are they trying to consolidate those at the Healthplex in Norman?

venture
10-29-2013, 06:37 PM
Were there in-patient services in the old hospital? Or are they trying to consolidate those at the Healthplex in Norman?

From what I understand in-patient for Moore will be consolidated at the Healthplex, though majority of it will still be at the Porter main hospital.

G.Walker
10-29-2013, 08:07 PM
It was stated in the original press release that this was phase one, and that expansion will be contemplated if necessary, including an inpatient tower.

http://www.normanregional.com/en/newsroom.html?news_id=323

Plutonic Panda
10-29-2013, 09:16 PM
It was stated in the original press release that this was phase one, and that expansion will be contemplated if necessary, including an inpatient tower.

Norman Regional Health System - Newsroom (http://www.normanregional.com/en/newsroom.html?news_id=323)

Here is another rendering from the press release provided by G.Walker:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7396/10567775343_ef11f5db9a_h.jpg

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5538/10567670186_3be2b66808_h.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7379/10567901533_736fc8f671_h.jpg

Services and areas found at the modular ED will include:
*A Trauma area
*Seven Fast Track rooms
*One Isolation room
*Six treatment rooms
*One Triage area
*X-ray
*CT
*Ultrasound
*Lab
*A Storm Shelter

Plutonic Panda
10-29-2013, 09:22 PM
BTW, just in case anyone missed my question, I looked on Google and nothing, does anyone know the heigh limit in Moore?