View Full Version : IOC drops wrestling from 2020 olympic games

Hawk405359
02-12-2013, 07:07 AM
IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/ioc-drops-wrestling-2020-olympics-111816483--oly.html)

Given how good of a tradition we have in this state for collegiate wrestling, I thought this might be of interest to someone. It's a really weird decision to get rid of one of the oldest Olympic games, while adding sports like golf, or keeping dressage. Nothing against those events, if you're good at them, all the power to you, but since there's apparently a limited number of events the IOC can hold, I don't see how they're more legitimate Olympic events than wrestling is.

kelroy55
02-12-2013, 10:14 AM
Seems stupid to me

betts
02-12-2013, 12:16 PM
I think this is ridiculous. I didn't know much about wrestling until my son told me he wanted to participate when he started middle school. My first thought was.....ugh. But, as he competed over his high school years and first year of college, I realized that this is a sport that requires tremendous training, endurance and mental preparation. When you're on that mat, you can't hide behind a teammate. And, finally, wrestling is one of the original Olympic sports. If we can have beach volleyball, curling and badminton as Olympic sports, but do not deem wrestling as worthy, that cheapens the Olympics, IMO.

foodiefan
02-12-2013, 12:26 PM
I think this is ridiculous. I didn't know much about wrestling until my son told me he wanted to participate when he started middle school. My first thought was.....ugh. But, as he competed over his high school years and first year of college, I realized that this is a sport that requires tremendous training, endurance and mental preparation. When you're on that mat, you can't hide behind a teammate. And, finally, wrestling is one of the original Olympic sports. If we can have beach volleyball, curling and badminton as Olympic sports, but do not deem wrestling as worthy, that cheapens the Olympics, IMO.

Absolutely agree. . .

OKCisOK4me
02-12-2013, 03:47 PM
Does this mean they're going to drop other forms of martial arts? Cause that's the road it seems they're headed down...

Hawk405359
02-12-2013, 04:03 PM
Doubtful. Two of the sports in the running to replace wrestling are martial arts (Karate and Wushu)

OKCisOK4me
02-12-2013, 04:09 PM
Well, it'll be interesting to see how this impacts collegiate wrestling. I mean, other than making an appearance in future Olympics, what do collegiate wrestlers do after they've graduated? I'm gonna guess that most go into an educational/coaching career or some other career based upon their major. Good way to get a free ride through college but kinda a dead end sport now.

MonkeesFan
02-12-2013, 04:53 PM
I do not care about that olympics but that is very stupid

Jersey Boss
02-12-2013, 06:13 PM
Well, it'll be interesting to see how this impacts collegiate wrestling. I mean, other than making an appearance in future Olympics, what do collegiate wrestlers do after they've graduated? I'm gonna guess that most go into an educational/coaching career or some other career based upon their major. Good way to get a free ride through college but kinda a dead end sport now.

I do not believe this will impact collegiate wrestling at all. What do the vast majority of any collegiate athletes do after graduation? They get a job that is more likely than not based on their major, or in some instances post graduate studies.

BlackmoreRulz
02-12-2013, 06:35 PM
...or MMA

OKCisOK4me
02-12-2013, 06:41 PM
I do not believe this will impact collegiate wrestling at all. What do the vast majority of any collegiate athletes do after graduation? They get a job that is more likely than not based on their major, or in some instances post graduate studies.

Yes, that's why I typed that. Kinda answered my own question in my post. It's like the commercial you see during NCAA games for any sport that they air on TV...talking about how 80% (somewhere there about) will not go into professional sports after graduation so "choose your career and choose it wisely" or something like that.

RadicalModerate
02-12-2013, 10:36 PM
All of this is just one more proof (or indication) that "the inmates are running the asylum" (asylum=IOC vs. Olympics).
I think that even Aristotle would be miffed. Why . . . This might even perplex Plato! fer cryin' out loud.
Why . . . Next thing you know they will be dissin' the discus! japin' the javelin! shortin' the shotput! hockin' on hockey . . . oh, wait . . .

ewoodard70
02-13-2013, 09:22 AM
With wrestling there is still the world championships in both Greco-Roman and Freestyle. Collegiate wrestling is Folkstyle wrestling, which combines elements of Greco and Freestyle. The ways to score point, the point systems, and periods are different for each style as well. The problem I have with wrestling in this country is that it is not covered by the likes of ESPN, NBC etc...
I believe that if the major sports media outlets would cover collegiate wrestling and the Greco and Freestyle nationals, then more people would see what a great sport this is.

Just the facts
02-13-2013, 09:39 AM
Does it get more exciting than this?

OBTQJamXEQo

ljbab728
02-13-2013, 08:42 PM
The problem I have with wrestling in this country is that it is not covered by the likes of ESPN, NBC etc...
I believe that if the major sports media outlets would cover collegiate wrestling and the Greco and Freestyle nationals, then more people would see what a great sport this is.

It is not without coverage.

http://web1.ncaa.org/NCAATV/exec/query

From that link:

Thursday 03/21/2013 NOON ESPN3 Individual Mats (1-4) - Live Division I Men's Wrestling Division I Championship First Round (Session 1)
Thursday 03/21/2013 7:00 PM ESPN3 Individual Mats (1-4) - Live Division I Men's Wrestling Division I Championship Consolations (Session 2)
Friday 03/22/2013 11:00 AM ESPN3 Individual Mats (1-4) - Live Division I Men's Wrestling Division I Championship Quarterfinals & Consolation (Session 3)
Friday 03/22/2013 11:00 AM ESPNU Live Division I Men's Wrestling Division I Championship Quarterfinals & Consolation (Session 3)
Friday 03/22/2013 7:00 PM ESPNU Live Division I Men's Wrestling Division I Semifinals (Session 4)
Saturday 03/23/2013 11:00 AM ESPNU Live Division I Men's Wrestling Division I Championship Medal Round (Session 5)
Saturday 03/23/2013 8:00 PM ESPN Live Division I Men's Wrestling Division I Final (Session 6)

There is little national interest for individual duals but much of that and conference championships are carried both live and in replay by smaller networks. Granted Oklahoma isn't the nation, but I see much of that locally including high school wrestling.

Any loss of interest in the US had little if any affect on the decision to drop the sport in the Olympics. The US isn't going along peacefully on any decision to drop sports where we have good chances for success.

ewoodard70
02-15-2013, 10:54 AM
Did not know this, thanks for the info.

BlackmoreRulz
02-18-2013, 05:04 PM
Here is a video that the Edmond North team put together for how they are going to adapt:
JgFGAlefQwY

jn1780
02-18-2013, 08:15 PM

Not any more dead end than it was before. I don't know the statistics on the matter, but I sure the universities give out more money to football and basketball players because they make them more money.

ljbab728
02-18-2013, 09:18 PM
Not any more dead end than it was before. I don't know the statistics on the matter, but I sure the universities give out more money to football and basketball players because they make them more more money.

What exactly are you referring to when you say the universities are giving out money to football and basketball players?

jn1780
02-18-2013, 09:48 PM
What exactly are you referring to when you say the universities are giving out money to football and basketball players?

Worded wrong. I was referring to scholarships

ljbab728
02-18-2013, 09:51 PM
Worded wrong. I was referring to scholarships

That's what I figured but wanted to be sure.

BlackmoreRulz
02-19-2013, 05:13 AM
Universities are allowed 9.9 scholarships per year which kinda sucks when a team consists of ten weights.

Hawk405359
05-29-2013, 12:59 PM
Update on the this. Wrestling is among a list of three sports hoping for a final spot in the 2020 games, along with squash and baseball/softball. One of those three will make the summer games.

RadicalModerate
05-29-2013, 01:20 PM
What kind of "Squash"? (it makes a difference =)

The Olympic Games without wrestling aren't The Olympics at all.
(i guess i should get over it . . . eh? =)

(insert Youtube Clips involving VeggieTales, Teletubbies, and something by Andy Kaufmann to illustrate the "thinking" of the "IOC")

As a compromise, how about an enhanced Javelin Throw . . .
Perhaps involving IOC OfficialDeciders?

Well . . . that or a form of Frisbee Golf with a Well Honed Discus.
same targets.

Thanks, Hawk....for bringing me up to speed on the most recent Olympics Debacle . . . =)

Oh!: In order to accomodate the neglected native folk of Australia, a Boomerang will henceforth be known as an acceptable alternative to a discus.

bluedogok
05-29-2013, 08:54 PM
Not much of a wrestling fan but that goes back the ancient Olympics, to me that would have to stay.

BlackmoreRulz
09-08-2013, 09:39 AM
Wrestling was just reinstated for the 2020 & 2024 games!

Urban Pioneer
09-08-2013, 10:00 AM
That's awesome!

betts
09-08-2013, 10:34 AM
Excellent news.

Mel
09-08-2013, 03:11 PM
Yes!

MonkeesFan
09-09-2013, 03:54 AM
Dropping it in the first place was a stupid move and probably got bashed for it so they decided to put it back, right?

CaptDave
09-09-2013, 07:34 AM
^ Quite likely. I never understood that decision.

BlackmoreRulz
09-09-2013, 11:06 AM
Wrestling was removed from the Olympic "core" sports for whatever reason, golf and rugby was installed as "core" sports. Wrestling won a majority of the voting IOC members over baseball/softball and squash to be included as an added sport for 2020 and 2024, after that wrestling will have to win another vote to stay in the games unless it is readded as a core sport.