View Full Version : Burger King admits burgers, Whoppers contained horse meat

Dustin
02-01-2013, 09:25 PM
Burger King admits selling beef burgers and Whoppers containing horse meat | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2271440/Burger-King-admits-selling-beef-burgers-Whoppers-containing-horse-meat.html)

Uhh... WTF!

This issue is in the UK but it kinda makes you wonder where they are getting their meat here in the US...

ljbab728
02-01-2013, 10:29 PM
Burger King admits selling beef burgers and Whoppers containing horse meat | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2271440/Burger-King-admits-selling-beef-burgers-Whoppers-containing-horse-meat.html)

Uhh... WTF!

This issue is in the UK but it kinda makes you wonder where they are getting their meat here in the US...

I think it's unlikely that any of it comes from Europe and according to this CNN article none of that meat was sold in stores.

http://money.cnn.com/2013/01/31/news/companies/burger-king-horse-meat/index.html

citizenkane
02-01-2013, 10:46 PM
Horse meat is actually really tasty. It's far better than beef, in my opinion.

ljbab728
02-01-2013, 10:49 PM
Horse meat is actually really tasty. It's far better than beef, in my opinion.

I'll take your word for it. LOL

Easy180
02-02-2013, 05:16 AM
Taco Bell says damn finally someone trumped our sand meat

BBatesokc
02-02-2013, 05:41 AM
Wouldn't bother me and yes, it is leaner than the beef.

bucktalk
02-02-2013, 05:50 AM
So THAT'S why I kept saying, "HEY!" after eating at Burger King!

RadicalModerate
02-02-2013, 05:52 AM
Hearing this over their Muzak system reminded me of the superiority of "free range" products . . .
Pc3OnSQc48s

GaryOKC6
02-02-2013, 05:55 AM
I had a horse Steak in Xtapa once. I did not know it until after the fact. It was good but I probably would not have eaten it if i knew what it was beforehand. I don't really eat at Burger Kink but I doubt it would stop me if I did. I guess it is the norm in Europe.

RadicalModerate
02-02-2013, 06:11 AM
Remember the old, old rumor about McDonald's putting worms in their burgers? We actually considered going to a bait shop, buying a bunch of worm containers, disposing of the contents and scattering the empty containers around the big trash dumpster behind one of the local locations. But we were kids and the cost of the bait for the prank put the kibosh on the plan.

kevinpate
02-02-2013, 08:01 AM
One wonders if the UK Version of their old jingle went like this:

Hold the pickle
Hold the lettuce
Special orders don't upset us
All we ask is
that you let us
Serve up your neigh

OKCisOK4me
02-02-2013, 09:37 AM
Their burgers do taste different than other fast food burgers. so that quarter pounder was a quarter horse, aye?

MustangGT
02-02-2013, 11:40 AM
Had it before outside the USA. It really is tasty and flavorful.

RadicalModerate
02-02-2013, 05:54 PM
Remember that scene in Pulp Fiction? . . . The one where the Scientologist/Hired Killer is discussing the relative merits of dining opportunities with his cohort at the moment who later went on to apply his talents to keeping Snakes on Airplanes off the "plates" offered to diners therin or thereon? No? too bad.

(that is what is technically known as a set-up =)

[the vinnie barbarino guy]: So . . . if they call a Quarter Pounder With Cheese a "Royale" in Paris . . . would Brits say "neigh" to calling it a Prime Minister? And Scotsmen scarfing down McHaggis on a Wee Bun look up to utter "nae"?

[his parner in slime]: Don't even get me started on "tater tots" . . . those irish m*****f***s will start calling for another famine.

Mel
02-02-2013, 06:42 PM
just don't eat the soylent green.

RadicalModerate
02-02-2013, 07:12 PM

Uhh... WTF!
W

Neo-Viking Hunter Gatherers of the lawyer persuasion Wonder (dang, where is Phil Hartman when you need him?) does the complaint in the topic relate more closely to the claiming, by Burger King that they don't use horsemeat protein in their burgers but only in their Whoppers . . . or Whut? I think that an "Uff Da" is even more appropriate to the situation than a WTF. (hey . . . i'm tired of lutefisk . . . gimmie some o' them McD's Fish Nuggets . . . =)

Oh! Wait!! Here he is now . . .
Please . . . please . . . Be Advised that nine out of ten Caveman Lawyers prefer Soylent Yellow or Blue to green on a Whopper.
(with the possible exception of Arby's "roast beast" Horsey Sauce.)"
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_gTmdbGeiE-E/R5fNmr5n8AI/AAAAAAAAB1g/BJ044997zBQ/s320/Unfrozen_Caveman_Lawyer.jpg

Got That? . . . i didn't think so . . . =)
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_gTmdbGeiE-E/R5fNmr5n8AI/AAAAAAAAB1g/BJ044997zBQ/s320/Unfrozen_Caveman_Lawyer.jpg

soonermike81
02-04-2013, 01:47 PM
I had a horse steak in Belgium and it was pretty good, reminded me of beef steak. Seemed a little stinkier/gamier to me. Pretty good though.

frontallobotomy
02-04-2013, 01:51 PM
Now we know why this was taken off the air.....

RadicalModerate
02-06-2013, 10:16 AM
Last Night, Jay Leno:
" . . . I think people should have started getting suspicious about horsemeat in the burgers when they put them up on the counter for customer pickup saying, ' . . . and they're off . . .'"

ctchandler
02-06-2013, 06:00 PM
RM,
I'm getting a little tired of the jokes about horse meat, and I really wish everyone would rein in the horse meat puns! I think I had Horseburger last night by mistake. Never again. Had terrible night mares. I was wondering, are Burger King's burgers best served as an horse d'oeuvre or as a mane course? I've tried Burger Kings and Wendy's burgers and I have to say Burger King wins by a nose.
C. T.

Last Night, Jay Leno:
" . . . I think people should have started getting suspicious about horsemeat in the burgers when they put them up on the counter for customer pickup saying, ' . . . and they're off . . .'"

RadicalModerate
02-07-2013, 05:43 AM
I hope the rumor that they are including roadkill in Smashburgers isn't true . . .

frontallobotomy
02-07-2013, 07:07 AM
rm,
i'm getting a little tired of the jokes about horse meat, and i really wish everyone would rein in the horse meat puns! I think i had horseburger last night by mistake. Never again. Had terrible night mares. I was wondering, are burger king's burgers best served as an horse d'oeuvre or as a mane course? I've tried burger kings and wendy's burgers and i have to say burger king wins by a nose.
C. T.

lol

SoonerDave
02-07-2013, 07:20 AM
RM,
I'm getting a little tired of the jokes about horse meat, and I really wish everyone would rein in the horse meat puns! I think I had Horseburger last night by mistake. Never again. Had terrible night mares. I was wondering, are Burger King's burgers best served as an horse d'oeuvre or as a mane course? I've tried Burger Kings and Wendy's burgers and I have to say Burger King wins by a nose.
C. T.

:clap:

As a self-proclaimed Encourager of Really, Really Bad Puns, I hereby anoint you King for a Day.

As an aside, I hear the queen knighted a Burger King owner as "Sir Horses of the Liver.." :rimshot:

RadicalModerate
02-07-2013, 09:13 AM
I second the annointing . . .
(to take a bit of the heat off, and neutralize--or geld--the issue, perhaps Burger King should own it and start using "Camptown Races" in their advertising campaigns . . . that, or do as one of Jay's writers suggested and start calling those breakfast treats, "Sausage Sea Biscuits")

(i guess it isn't true that the knighthood of "Sir Horses of the Liver" included kidney and blood pudding clusters . . . (brits eat fish for breakfast (shudder). they call them "kippers" . . . fish for breakfast. can you imagine? i think "Mad Cow Disease" started long before they would have us believe it did . . .)

[Edited to Add]:
Monty Python Ad that never ran:

Wife: "Blimey, 'arry . . . Wot's that in yer breakfast bowl?"

'usband: "Mutton, Honey . . . an' why is it that ya' keep droppin' yer aitches?"

Wife: "Old sheep meat for breakfast?"

'usband: "Aye . . . an' it's goood too . . . nas an' croonchy . . . Loook!: It's even bein' marketed as 'Blimey'!"

Wife: "Wot a coincidence! Will wonders never cease . . ."

(cut back to regular programmeing . . . "new tricks" . . . "downton abbey" . . . "some other BBC detective show" . . .)

ctchandler
02-07-2013, 02:40 PM
Did you read about that woman that was sent to the hospital after eating a horse meat burger... Her condition is said to be stable.

Tesco's is a supermarket in England that has also been accused of selling horse meat.
C. T.

RadicalModerate
02-07-2013, 03:29 PM
+10 to The King ^^^^^^^^^^. . .
(b.t.w.: the propah spellin' is 'orse meat . . . and as we speak, the very same people who are confirmin' the veracity that lies beneath them very royal bones under that parkin' lot--King Richard . . .? The . . .?--are even now working on a formula t' turn boneless horses into sushi . . . and serve it on na'an wraps from lorries . . .)

TAlan CB
02-08-2013, 08:03 AM
just don't eat the soylent green.

But it taste better.... like pork

Larry OKC
02-08-2013, 12:49 PM
Saw an article yesterday where an English maker of frozen lasagna has recalled their product because of testing that showed it contained 60%+ horse meat. If I recall correctly, the Burger King incident only revealed trace amounts of horse meat/DNA

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-202_162-57568409/u.k.-recalled-lasagna-products-contain-60-percent-horsemeat/

seems it has spread to Sweden...
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-202_162-57568409/u.k.-recalled-lasagna-products-contain-60-percent-horsemeat/

RadicalModerate
02-08-2013, 04:33 PM
Angry French Food Industry Spokespersons
Speak Out Against Overreaction to Classic French Cuisine
In the Form of FauxLasagne
22_SjK9CIps
ask: what about that fake crab stuff, huh?

ctchandler
02-08-2013, 06:17 PM
I thank all of you for supporting me for the lofty position of King yesterday. It was a humbling experience and I will treasure every moment of the day. As far as Lasagne, I thought the following Movie was excellent and you should all rent it when you get a chance.
C. T.
Angry French Food Industry Spokespersons
Speak Out Against Overreaction to Classic French Cuisine
In the Form of FauxLasagne

RadicalModerate
02-08-2013, 07:19 PM
KuMQjKiaDTg

. . . yet, not so much Le King of Le Burgers, eh? . . .
I the lowly aristocratic 'orsman named Chevalier (by coincidence? non!)
continue to fart in your general British direction . . . zoot alors!

http://www.renaud-bray.com/ImagesEditeurs/PG/963/963262-gf.jpg

Better to be the 'ow you say . . . Jacques in Le Box than El Roy d'Burgers . . .
(ain't thet right torea?)

Dustin
02-09-2013, 10:50 PM
Aldi confirms up to 100% horsemeat in beef products | Business | guardian.co.uk (http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2013/feb/09/aldi-100-percent-horsemeat-beef-products)

Silvermoon
02-10-2013, 04:12 PM
The most informative book on the subject of cows and horse meat, I've found so far is "Cows,Pigs,Wars and Witches:The Riddles of Culture" by Marvin Harris
The danger of America having the scared horse is much like India's sacred cow, and is becoming very real.
The change of the way we think about horses in America, caused by Vegan fanatics and even well intentioned rescue groups, has been a costly one. Horse meat is rich in protein, was a staple to the American diet during the great depression, used an ingredient in many a salami and other staple dishes, and was used as hearty scraps for pets as found in the fictional Henry and Ribsy books.

The horse Bi-products market in America was a 2.5 million dollar export for the United States until the ban of Slaughtering Horses for human Consumption 2007. Until then Bi-Product plants in Calif., Texas all the way to Illinois, employed thousands of people.As well this market required boxing, shipping, trucks and planes etc.all income producing. The plants, now closed and plants for horse meat production have moved to Mexico and Canada where horses are shipped for production.
The horse Bi-product market can easily sound cruel. That is until you consider the options. Horses are a noble animal, with nobility comes purpose. In a world where 800 million people suffer from hunger and malnutrition and 934 million do not have enough to eat and 15 million children die yearly from starvation, we need to be responsible with the agriculture we are provided with.
While it sounds kind, to take on an aging unridable horse as a pet, it is also a bit indulgent to feed that pet considering that a horse weighing approximately 1000 pounds requires approx. 11 pounds of grain ($12.00 for 50lbs) 13 pounds of hay ($110.00 per 1000 lb 4X5 round bail mixed hay ) as well as needed minerals,worming and shots. (prices are for current winter 2013 drought) How many people could eat from these grains and feeds, how many cows, pigs, chickens etc could eat well ?
Horses that are rescue still have to go somewhere when they are too old to stand and I see nothing noble about throwing horses into landfills especially considering the aging, injured unridable horse population in the United States runs over 65 thousand horses a year.
If the bi-products produced by horses only if to feed pets, zoo animals or starving polar bears, would be is far better than discarding into waste.
I'm well aware that I have strayed from the original conversation, but I find it appalling that people of one belief could make the 97% of the population feel guilty for eating meat, eggs and cheese. The goal and belief's of these many powerful lobbists groups are varied, in their finances alone one can find what they promise verses what they deliver to be very different.As well money from their donors rarly goes to where promised, and that is their right.
Our right and freedoms should not be in question because of their belief's.We should not be in question because their well intentioned donors are told their funds will go to local shelters when in reality shelters are funded by local municipalities. As well what does it say to our Allies across the world that we think a main staple of their died should be disposed of in landfills instead of to supply the main staple of their diet.
Agriculture in America needs the backing and support of the public for the continued success of all. I personally do not want my food supply or even pet foods ,coming from unregulated parts of the world. By allowing animal protection groups to have a say in American agriculture and regulation, America's farming traditions are disappearing with regulations, driving the family out of the farm.

RadicalModerate
02-10-2013, 11:08 PM
The most informative book on the subject of cows and horse meat, I've found so far is "Cows,Pigs,Wars and Witches:The Riddles of Culture" by Marvin Harris
The danger of America having the scared horse is much like India's sacred cow, and is becoming very real.
driving the family out of the farm.

Interesting observations . . . and well quoted!
So . . . If some sticky rice and kelp were added to this,
would it then be . . . oh dunno . . . Sushi d' Bayou?
2YZJt_Bw3eo#at=27
no doubt about the freshness as compared to "the old grey mare" . . .
even if served from a truck . . .

Plutonic Panda
02-19-2013, 01:14 AM
To add to the discussion. New Bill Would Allow Horse Meat Processing In Oklahoma - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports | (http://www.news9.com/story/21237350/new-bill-would-allow-horse-meat-processing-in-oklahoma)

ctchandler
02-19-2013, 01:37 PM
From my friend in London,
"Roses are red,
Apples are fruity,
Don't eat steak pie,
It might be Black Beauty.".
C. T.

WilliamTell
02-19-2013, 05:24 PM
When i was in europe 5 years ago for two weeks i did stop by burger king and had a whopper that i thought was better than usual.

Something about it gave it a little kick.....

But no seriously, im not a fan of this whole not eating attractive animals. We'll gladly butcher cows, pigs, and chickens by the millions in this country but mention lamb, goats or horses and somehow you are a terrorist.

I'm all against animal abuse, but having the opportunity to visit a cattle processing plant in the past i got to see first hand how insanely quick the whole process is. Now if you want to see something disturbing view what the rabbi butchers do to cattle. There is nothing humane about it compared to modern non jewish butchering.

RadicalModerate
02-19-2013, 09:42 PM
From my friend in London,
"Roses are red,
Apples are fruity,
Don't eat steak pie,
It might be Black Beauty.".
C. T.

If the Revolutionary War of Independence were held today, the Brits would win.

For a long time I thought lamb was the Brussels Sprouts of meat.
Then I learned that I had had mutton foisted upon me and that skewed my opinion.
Now lamb is one of my favorite things . . . I actually liked BBQ'd goat the first time I had it.
Goat prepared "Indian (east version) Style" is excellent.

I wonder if there would be an uproar if Burger King tried to to add raw fish to the menu . . .

ljbab728
02-19-2013, 09:44 PM
If the Revolutionary War of Independence were held today, the Brits would win.

They lost????

RadicalModerate
02-19-2013, 09:47 PM
Yes. They lost. =)
I know because we Amurcuns/Colonials prefer chili to curry.

Has it occured to anyone else that EU might have an underlying, deeper, layer of flavor if pronounced correctly?
Eeeeeeeeyuuuuuuuuu

ljbab728
02-19-2013, 09:49 PM
Yes. They lost. =)
I know because we Amurcuns prefer chili to curry.

I love curry. Will I be deported to England soon?

RadicalModerate
02-19-2013, 11:32 PM
Deported? . . . nah . . . "Transported" maybe . . . say . . To Australia . . !
MeG-hNXXy6I

Remember: "Vegemite on Kanga-Veal" with a side o' fries ain't all it's cracked up to be . . .
(no matter how fine the restaurant outback may appear to be.)

Even Abraham "The Human Pyramid Builder" Maslow agreed.
(about the quality of the food . . . and the service . . .
good ol' abe . . . always the neigh-sayer . . . =)

Larry OKC
02-20-2013, 02:42 PM
Looked for M*A*S*H's Colonel Potter's rant on Horse vs. Cows online but couldn't find it. If someone can & post...

RadicalModerate
02-20-2013, 02:58 PM
Is that the Colonel Potter of the famous "Potted Meat Product" . . . "Vienna Sausages" (w/free gelatin) . . . Authentic Chorizo at Buy For Less . . . or is it the other Colonel . . . that Fried Chicken guy who looked sort of like the Kentucky Monopoly Man in a white suit with a beard and no derby?

(i'll look it up . . . in the meantime . . . =):

Herb: "Blimey, Edna! Oyv gotta bit o' pigeon in here wif me chicken!"
Edna: "Fer cryin' out loud, 'erb, call it squab and get over it . . ."
Edna: "Duck! Quick! It's a friggin flyin' chair! (thanx Mr. Williams a.k.a. Danny)

oh! while you are waiting . . . here's a bit of an appetizer/tapa/other h-word'ourve . . . to keep you patient.
it's a sort of James "Connections" Burke, New World Order KinderExperimentConcoction, that we call, "How Soylent Red Became Soylent Green" . . .

Of9zj9MV3IQ

'ope that dunna put yer off yer feed . . . oh, my goodness . . . the haggis (really mediterranean chicken) awaits! =)