View Full Version : Sam's coming to Moore?

Pages : [1] 2

Tavia
01-13-2013, 02:52 PM
Was wondering if anyone else saw the mention in Saturdays business section regarding a future Sam's club? The article was in reference to WalMart slowing down on grocery store openings etc.

soonerliberal
01-13-2013, 05:24 PM
“Despite our current wave of grocery expansion, Walmart isn't ready to give up market share. It has planned, or has under way, eight new stores for the Oklahoma City metro area. These include two new Sam's Clubs, at Fox Lake in Edmond and on 149th street (near) Moore. Four new Walmart Neighborhood Markets are planned and two new Walmart Supercenters, one of which is under construction in Choctaw.”

Price Edwards & Co. reports on retail property in Oklahoma City | NewsOK.com (http://newsok.com/price-edwards-co.-reports-on-retail-property-in-oklahoma-city/article/3745245)

catch22
01-13-2013, 07:50 PM
I wonder if it will be in OKC proper or Moore proper? The article mentioned 149th street which would be OKC.... Would be good to recover some tax revenue that we are leaking to Moore.

Jesseda
01-14-2013, 06:20 AM
I wonder if it will be in OKC proper or Moore proper? The article mentioned 149th street which would be OKC.... Would be good to recover some tax revenue that we are leaking to Moore.

I wonder with all the retail that is planned on i-44 between s.w 59th all the way to 104th that the sams club might be built on i-44 and a 149th. It makes since, that area is about to pop with restaurants, hotels and retail that is already in the works

SoonerDave
01-14-2013, 09:06 AM

Yeah, wondered that myself. Lived in S. OKC all my life, and always get a little frustrated that people don't seem to understand at a civic level that 149th can't be Moore, because Moore doesn't have a "149th." The overlap of Moore schools up to 82nd in OKC surely is part of that "border obscurity," but its still frustrating. I tell people where I live, and if they say, "oh, that's Moore, right" I politely correct them and say "no, I live in Oklahoma City," not because I dislike Moore or anything, but because I don't live in Moore - any more than I live in, say, Yukon, or Edmond, or Pauls Valley.

Heck, I've even gotten into mild debates with people who try to tell me SW 89th is "Moore.."

MikeLucky
01-14-2013, 10:18 AM
Price Edwards & Co. reports on retail property in Oklahoma City | NewsOK.com (http://newsok.com/price-edwards-co.-reports-on-retail-property-in-oklahoma-city/article/3745245)

“Despite our current wave of grocery expansion, Walmart isn't ready to give up market share. It has planned, or has under way, eight new stores for the Oklahoma City metro area. These include two new Sam's Clubs, at Fox Lake in Edmond and on 149th street (near) Moore. Four new Walmart Neighborhood Markets are planned and two new Walmart Supercenters, one of which is under construction in Choctaw.”

Please, dear little baby Jesus let the second one be planned for Hwy. 9 and 77 in Norman... (fingers crossed)

Dubya61
01-14-2013, 11:03 AM
Please, dear little baby Jesus let the second one be planned for Hwy. 9 and 77 in Norman... (fingers crossed)

Great post: evokes Ricky Bobby and PWT!

catch22
01-14-2013, 02:21 PM
I wonder with all the retail that is planned on i-44 between s.w 59th all the way to 104th that the sams club might be built on i-44 and a 149th. It makes since, that area is about to pop with restaurants, hotels and retail that is already in the works

If they do, I hope it's not on JR's golf course.

Jesseda
01-14-2013, 05:40 PM
If they do, I hope it's not on JR's golf course.

I asked about it on the city of moores facebook page and the response was "Exact plans for this store are yet to be confirmed. Our Economic Development Department has been working with this project for some time now and we are optimistic. As soon as the company makes their location known, we will provide that information. Stay tuned!!"

So to me it sounds like its going off 19th street probably around fritts farm area or the area by were they are planning on removing/relocating the trailer park

jn1780
01-14-2013, 07:02 PM
Why would they say 149th though? If its 149th I would say its going to go on I-44. Anywhere west of Santa Fe and east of May would seem kind of odd.
Must be the case where they know they want to build one, but they don't know where exactly. There use to be one on 1-35 a long time ago where jc-penny's is now.

catch22
01-14-2013, 10:08 PM
Because 149th is the same street as 19th...

Was probably just speaking off the top of his mind and wasn't being very specific.

flintysooner
01-15-2013, 10:07 AM
If you read the entire Price Edwards report referenced in the article you'll find on Page 14 - "2012 Year-End Oklahoma City Retail Market Summary Moore-Norman Submarket" - the following:

The Moore development is set to add a Hemisphere's store in 2013 and, rumored at this point, a new Sam's Club.

Martin
01-15-2013, 10:16 AM
Because 149th is the same street as 19th...

i think you mean stella road... :P -M

Dubya61
01-15-2013, 10:48 AM
i think you mean stella road... :P -M

I love it that the intersection of SE 149th and Choctaw Road has signs up that indicate it's also the intersection of NE 120th and Stella Road.
I just smirk. I know it's really 19th St! I do get confused when I drive down Sooner Road but can only find 12th St in Norman. Thank goodness Sunnylane is named the same thing all the way from Classen and Porter to Coltrane!

Jesseda
01-15-2013, 11:49 AM
I love it that the intersection of SE 149th and Choctaw Road has signs up that indicate it's also the intersection of NE 120th and Stella Road.
I just smirk. I know it's really 19th St! I do get confused when I drive down Sooner Road but can only find 12th St in Norman. Thank goodness Sunnylane is named the same thing all the way from Classen and Porter to Coltrane!

The road name changes onthe same roads are confusing as heck in this metro. Eastern to toby keith back to eastern then martin luther king. wish main roads would be kept the same name when it goes into multi cities in the metro.

ctchandler
01-15-2013, 12:01 PM
SoonerDave,
When you have Fairview, a Moore school on 89th, and the middle school, plus Kingsgate, Houchin, and a couple of others it's pretty easy to assume it's "Moore", but the fact(?) is, it's Cleveland County and education is provided by the county that we reside in. I knew that 82nd was the border for OKC/Moore schools, but didn't think about the fact that they were also in Cleveland county. Is that where the line is? I suppose it must be. My wife worked for Moore schools (school nurse) and was responsible for five schools and they were all in OKC.
C. T.
p.s. I placed the "?" next to the word "fact" because I wouldn't bet my life on it. Does the county line really begin at 82nd?

Yeah, wondered that myself. Lived in S. OKC all my life, and always get a little frustrated that people don't seem to understand at a civic level that 149th can't be Moore, because Moore doesn't have a "149th." The overlap of Moore schools up to 82nd in OKC surely is part of that "border obscurity," but its still frustrating. I tell people where I live, and if they say, "oh, that's Moore, right" I politely correct them and say "no, I live in Oklahoma City," not because I dislike Moore or anything, but because I don't live in Moore - any more than I live in, say, Yukon, or Edmond, or Pauls Valley.

Heck, I've even gotten into mild debates with people who try to tell me SW 89th is "Moore.."

SoonerDave
01-15-2013, 12:21 PM
SoonerDave,
When you have Fairview, a Moore school on 89th, and the middle school, plus Kingsgate, Houchin, and a couple of others it's pretty easy to assume it's "Moore", but the fact(?) is, it's Cleveland County and education is provided by the county that we reside in. I knew that 82nd was the border for OKC/Moore schools, but didn't think about the fact that they were also in Cleveland county. Is that where the line is? I suppose it must be. My wife worked for Moore schools (school nurse) and was responsible for five schools and they were all in OKC.
C. T.
p.s. I placed the "?" next to the word "fact" because I wouldn't bet my life on it. Does the county line really begin at 82nd?

Nope. The Oklahoma-Cleveland County border is 89th street. Fairview, on the north side of 89th, resides in Oklahoma County. Kingsgate, Houchin, Sky Ranch, Red Oak, etc., are all in Cleveland County, but they're all Oklahoma City addresses. Westmoore is in OKC as well. Southmoore, OTOH, has a Moore address. I'm making purely a guess that at least part of it is due to the fact that Moore, as the story goes, actively opposed/fought the annexation craze OKC went on back in the 50's/60's, and eventually OKC gave up the fight. The result is Moore now sits quite literally on SW OKC's doorstep, with a thriving school system that's drawn more than a few folks out of the OKC district as a result...but that's a thread for a different day, I s'pose.

You've also hit indirectly on a bit of a sore spot. Its been a long time since I drilled through all the details, but that oddity of the Moore district going as far north as 82nd creates a weird "bermuda triangle" for property taxes, where I think there's a double-hit that goes into Moore and OKC coffers if you live in just the right spot. I also recall knowing there was nothing I could do about it, so didn't remember the details, but I know my folks groused about it, too, and that was a loong time ago.

Don't know the exact genesis of Fairview being a Moore school, or why the district goes as far up in OKC as it does. Heck, if you go just a little bit farther north and west, you end up in the Western Heights district...

Jesseda
01-15-2013, 01:08 PM
Nope. The Oklahoma-Cleveland County border is 89th street. Fairview, on the north side of 89th, resides in Oklahoma County. Kingsgate, Houchin, Sky Ranch, Red Oak, etc., are all in Cleveland County, but they're all Oklahoma City addresses. Westmoore is in OKC as well. Southmoore, OTOH, has a Moore address. I'm making purely a guess that at least part of it is due to the fact that Moore, as the story goes, actively opposed/fought the annexation craze OKC went on back in the 50's/60's, and eventually OKC gave up the fight. The result is Moore now sits quite literally on SW OKC's doorstep, with a thriving school system that's drawn more than a few folks out of the OKC district as a result...but that's a thread for a different day, I s'pose.

You've also hit indirectly on a bit of a sore spot. Its been a long time since I drilled through all the details, but that oddity of the Moore district going as far north as 82nd creates a weird "bermuda triangle" for property taxes, where I think there's a double-hit that goes into Moore and OKC coffers if you live in just the right spot. I also recall knowing there was nothing I could do about it, so didn't remember the details, but I know my folks groused about it, too, and that was a loong time ago.

Don't know the exact genesis of Fairview being a Moore school, or why the district goes as far up in OKC as it does. Heck, if you go just a little bit farther north and west, you end up in the Western Heights district...

I live in moore and dont really understand why Moore schools are in Oklahoma City. the new Elementry school that is going to be built this year is going in on portland and I believe 134th. To me that is way to far from moore actual borders. I dont get it, I guess what someone said earlier that it is a county thing, but why call it moore schools if its almost 4-5 miles away from the towms borders

SOONER8693
01-15-2013, 04:03 PM
I live in moore and dont really understand why Moore schools are in Oklahoma City. the new Elementry school that is going to be built this year is going in on portland and I believe 134th. To me that is way to far from moore actual borders. I dont get it, I guess what someone said earlier that it is a county thing, but why call it moore schools if its almost 4-5 miles away from the towms borders
The Moore school district extends from the Mustang district boundry on the west to the Bethel school district boundry on the east. And on the north from approx 82nd street to Franklin road on the south. That means Bob Stoops kids should go to a Moore school, but, I'm sure strings can be pulled to remedy that. His new house is between Indian Hills and Franklin road. That is probably a discussion for another thread.

Dubya61
01-15-2013, 05:02 PM
The Moore school district extends from the Mustang district boundry on the west to the Bethel school district boundry on the east. And on the north from approx 82nd street to Franklin road on the south. That means Bob Stoops kids should go to a Moore school, but, I'm sure strings can be pulled to remedy that. His new house is between Indian Hills and Franklin road. That is probably a discussion for another thread.

Moore SD would actually run up against Little Axe and McLoud before it touched Bethel.

SOONER8693
01-15-2013, 05:29 PM
Moore SD would actually run up against Little Axe and McLoud before it touched Bethel.
You may be right, but, I believe those are north and south of the Moore district.

Zuplar
02-14-2013, 08:27 AM
I sure would enjoy a Sam's coming to this area. It seems like there is kind of a gap between the one in Norman and the one off of I-40.

LovableGoober
02-17-2013, 05:56 AM
That means Bob Stoops kids should go to a Moore school, but, I'm sure strings can be pulled to remedy that. His new house is between Indian Hills and Franklin road. That is probably a discussion for another thread.

Bob Stoops' kids go to a private school.

rcjunkie
02-17-2013, 03:50 PM
Bob Stoops' kids go to a private school.

Absolutely untrue, I know for a fact. The boys (twins) go to Whittier Middle School and the daughter goes to Norman North High School.

SOONER8693
02-17-2013, 04:51 PM
Absolutely untrue, I know for a fact. The boys (twins) go to Whittier Middle School and the daughter goes to Norman North High School.

I believe you are correct. The new house is however, in the Moore school district.

rcjunkie
02-18-2013, 07:17 AM
I believe you are correct. The new house is however, in the Moore school district.

Again this untrue, its very close, but definitely in Norman School District

vaflyer
02-18-2013, 08:19 AM
Again this untrue, its very close, but definitely in Norman School District

Norman public schools northern boundary is on Franklin Rd. in this area. The Stoops' house is north of Franklin Rd so they are in the Moore school district. If you go to the Norman Public School webpage, you will find a map of the district and elementary school lines. That map will verify this information.

Note: the Stoop's house is in the City of Norman but is in the Moore Public School district.

venture
02-18-2013, 08:54 AM
So....Sam's is coming to Moore?

SoonerDave
02-18-2013, 08:56 AM
So....Sam's is coming to Moore?

Yup, it's opening up in Bob Stoops' new house.

Plutonic Panda
02-18-2013, 10:52 AM
So....Sam's is coming to Moore?I am sure they probably will. There is a gap and Walmart has already announced an expansion, so I don't see why not.

venture
02-18-2013, 11:03 AM
I am sure they probably will. There is a gap and Walmart has already announced an expansion, so I don't see why not.

I was pointing out the actual subject on this thread that was completely derailed. :)

Plutonic Panda
02-18-2013, 04:49 PM
Oh haha. I see lol... Yeah, I was curious what Bob Stoops had to with a new Sam's opening up in Moore. :)

Jersey Boss
02-18-2013, 06:22 PM
Wasn't there a SAM'S previously in Moore? I'm thinking it was in the general area where PENNY'S is now, on the East side of I-35, 19th St exit. Failed for some reason.

SoonerDave
02-18-2013, 10:48 PM
Wasn't there a SAM'S previously in Moore? I'm thinking it was in the general area where PENNY'S is now, on the East side of I-35, 19th St exit. Failed for some reason.

It was originally a similar concept named "Super Saver." It lasted for a few years, wasn't very compelling, and was (oddly enough), bought out by Sams and run for maybe six months before being shut down.

Bimmerdude
02-20-2013, 06:05 AM

Yeah, I always wondered why Sam's and that Outlet Mall of America place failed. Granted, the flea market that took up shop after the outlet mall vacated didn't fair too well either.

SoonerDave
02-20-2013, 07:28 AM
Yeah, I always wondered why Sam's and that Outlet Mall of America place failed. Granted, the flea market that took up shop after the outlet mall vacated didn't fair too well either.

I believe Sam's bought that location to purposely shut it down, because a decent warehouse club in that area kept people away from what was then the primary location just off I-40 in west OKC. The Outlet Mall was a nasty pit of a place from Day One.

I know there were rumblings about Sams a while back, but some double-secret negotiations were still pending. Have to assume something is imminent. I for one would be delighted to have a Sam's over in Moore, be a much shorter drive for us from our confines..

chrisok
02-20-2013, 08:18 AM
It was originally a similar concept named "Super Saver." It lasted for a few years, wasn't very compelling, and was (oddly enough), bought out by Sams and run for maybe six months before being shut down.

Not to derail the subject, but for those of you who watch Duck Dynasty, the owner of the Super Saver was the father of Korie (Duck Commander CEO's wife).

Bimmerdude
02-20-2013, 08:42 AM
I believe Sam's bought that location to purposely shut it down, because a decent warehouse club in that area kept people away from what was then the primary location just off I-40 in west OKC. The Outlet Mall was a nasty pit of a place from Day One.

I know there were rumblings about Sams a while back, but some double-secret negotiations were still pending. Have to assume something is imminent. I for one would be delighted to have a Sam's over in Moore, be a much shorter drive for us from our confines..

Yeah, living in Moore, it's either Norman, or drag your behind to MWC for Sam's.

Zuplar
02-20-2013, 10:42 AM
Not to derail the subject, but for those of you who watch Duck Dynasty, the owner of the Super Saver was the father of Korie (Duck Commander CEO's wife).

That's pretty interesting. I'll have to remember that one.

bille
02-20-2013, 11:46 AM

That's my understanding/remembering of how it went down. Super Saver opened in Moore not too long after Sams in MWC. Sam's bought out Super Saver pretty quick, just after a year or two iirc and quickly converted it to a Sams for another year or so, perhaps less. That was years ago but I'm thinking they ultimately closed it because it was pulling too much business from Sams in MWC as well as Walmart, which back then was located just a 1/4 mile north.

That's pretty interesting that Super Saver has ties to Duck Dynasty..

LovableGoober
02-21-2013, 06:44 AM

Then something must have changed. They used to go to All Saint's Catholic.

bille
02-21-2013, 11:42 AM
Then something must have changed. They used to go to All Saint's Catholic.

Probably got too expensive to send all of his kids there.:D

Jesseda
04-12-2013, 12:13 PM
I heard the plan looks like sams will be built in moore at the old walmart site which is currently convergy. Walmart still owns the land and building.

Roger S
04-12-2013, 12:38 PM
I heard the plan looks like sams will be built in moore at the old walmart site which is currently convergy. Walmart still owns the land and building.

You heard correctly.

Charlie40
04-12-2013, 01:03 PM
How reliable is your source for this info on Sams? I called the city and they know nothing about Sams comming to Moore

Roger S
04-12-2013, 01:20 PM
My sources are very reliable... It is still in the conceptual phases though.

Charlie40
04-12-2013, 01:28 PM
My sources are very reliable... It is still in the conceptual phases though.

So how long would you estimate untill this is built? Months? Years?

Roger S
04-12-2013, 01:38 PM
That I'm not sure about and since it is still conceptual there is still the chance it might not happen at all.

I do know that once it goes to the design phase that Walmart usually wants it done yesterday. So at that point it begins to move very quickly.

Zuplar
04-12-2013, 03:45 PM
That I'm not sure about and since it is still conceptual there is still the chance it might not happen at all.

I do know that once it goes to the design phase that Walmart usually wants it done yesterday. So at that point it begins to move very quickly.

This is exactly how I see Walmart being. Once they get the project going, it always seems like their buildings are up and running in no time. You got to like that efficiency.

Jesseda
04-12-2013, 08:36 PM
Lets just say the big guys came to town on thurday and talked about the future moore location. It all put into play, if you notice there is a for lease sign on the building convergy is in.

seaofchange
04-13-2013, 12:15 AM

The land is two lots and the split is about 1/5 the way through the building. The eastern lot is owned by Convergys. The western lot is owned by HMFIC 2, LLC. I believe the 'for lease' sign is on the HMFIC portion of the building. Im pretty sure Walmart sold the property in 2001?

MikeLucky
04-15-2013, 09:40 AM
From what I understand, Wal-Mart doesn't own any of their structures... they have someone else build it and then sign a 99-year lease. When they move out the owner can then lease it to someone else, but it's ALWAYS as the "secondary" occupant that would have to vacate if the "primary" occupant (Wal-Mart) ever wanted to move back in.

It's what I've been told, but I don't have any way to confirm this... I will say that this move, as well as many other examples, definitely follow that information.

The land is two lots and the split is about 1/5 the way through the building. The eastern lot is owned by Convergys. The western lot is owned by HMFIC 2, LLC. I believe the 'for lease' sign is on the HMFIC portion of the building. Im pretty sure Walmart sold the property in 2001?

HMFIC??? Really? lol

G22
04-15-2013, 08:01 PM
I think Sam's is going in West of Fitness One.

bhawes
04-15-2013, 08:14 PM
I thought Costco was going west of Fitness One.

Roger S
04-16-2013, 06:57 AM
I think Sam's is going in West of Fitness One.

Nope. It will be where the old Walmart was located. Where Convergys is now.

SoonerDave
04-16-2013, 07:19 AM
Nope. It will be where the old Walmart was located. Where Convergys is now.

When?

MrZ
07-13-2013, 02:25 PM
Has anyone heard any further info on this Sam's? Would be nice not to have to drive to Norman for one.

Roger S
07-13-2013, 03:37 PM
The plans were completed a few weeks ago. Shouldn't be long before they start mobilizing on it but I have not heard an exact date.

MrZ
07-13-2013, 04:06 PM
Awesome! Thanks!

The plans were completed a few weeks ago. Shouldn't be long before they start mobilizing on it but I have not heard an exact date.

venture
07-13-2013, 04:15 PM
So would that mean convergys had to finda new home?