View Full Version : Oklahoma Weather Discussion - January 2013

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Plutonic Panda
01-15-2013, 01:26 AM
Actually, I would still have to. We only shut down if air to ground lightning is within 5 miles. Or if there is freezing fog.Ah, I see. Well stop being selfish and think everyone else instead yourself. lol Just kidding :D

catch22
01-15-2013, 01:42 AM
Ah, I see. Well stop being selfish and think everyone else instead yourself. lol Just kidding :D

Until you've done this from 5am-noon in 35mph north winds with heavy snow and hardly any breaks, you will continue to enjoy your winter precipitation.

http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/photos/0/7/9/0990970.jpg
http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/photos/6/0/0/0818006.jpg
http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/photos/6/1/8/0764816.jpg

Plutonic Panda
01-15-2013, 01:45 AM
Oh my. Yeah I could see why you wouldn't want any wintery precip lol..

Bill Robertson
01-15-2013, 07:09 AM
Yep, catch22. I'm in a similar situation. I'm the building & grounds manager for CBP Air Training. Our ramp, taxiway, drives and walks have to be plowed, shoveled and de-iced no matter what. Missions must go on. That's why I always hope against nasty winter weather. On the day after Christmas in 2009 I had to try three or four different routes to even get here. But my crew and I did and we got our place cleaned off. Don't EVER want to do that again.

ou48A
01-15-2013, 11:28 AM
As a person who worked outside in the energy business in extreme weather for several years I can appreciate the hardship that it is.
Very few people who have never worked in the extremes for several years have a good perspective of how this impacts the human body.
As I have grown older I’m very thankful that I no longer work out side in the extreme weather.

Bill Robertson
01-15-2013, 12:28 PM
As a person who worked outside in the energy business in extreme weather for several years I can appreciate the hardship that it is.
Very few people who have never worked in the extremes for several years have a good perspective of how this impacts the human body.
As I have grown older I’m very thankful that I no longer work out side in the extreme weather.

Exactly. And I've pretty much been in the office for the past 20 years or so. The only time I'm out in it is winter weather so I'm not acclimated anymore.

Anonymous.
01-18-2013, 07:24 AM
Boring weather on the horizon until about the last few days of January into Feb.

Uncle Slayton
01-20-2013, 02:47 PM
Can we declare winter over or what? I'm seriously looking at putting out an early garden if there's not even a hint of wretched weather in the offing.

bandnerd
01-20-2013, 03:20 PM
Can we declare winter over or what? I'm seriously looking at putting out an early garden if there's not even a hint of wretched weather in the offing.

As soon as you do that, you know we'll get a major ice storm or something. It's like when you wash your car, it rains. Maybe we should all wash our cars more often. Or plant a garden early.

If you want to start a garden, then start seeds indoors. It'll give you that gardening feeling, but the plants will be safer and you won't have to start all over if it does get icy/snowy/bad weather.

venture
01-20-2013, 04:28 PM
I really don't see any major cold snaps for the next couple of weeks. Doesn't look like we will have more than a week of winter we already did. LOL

Plutonic Panda
01-20-2013, 04:47 PM
Getting reeeeeaaaaaal tired of all this crap! No snow! No rain! No Dust storms! No tornados! No hailstorms! Man, If I ever get my hands on a weather control machine. :evilsmile lolz

Easy180
01-20-2013, 05:01 PM
What happened to Damon Lane's predictions? Lol

ou48A
01-21-2013, 01:13 PM
Jed Castles KWTV 9 OKC
Indicated on his noon WX forecast that we had a chance of rain in about 9 or 10 days but nothing was showing up before that.

venture
01-21-2013, 01:30 PM
If we just look at the 12Z morning run for GFS...the precip chances look like this:

Sunday Jan 27th - Light, < 0.10"
Monday/Tuesday Jan 28/29 - Northern OK over 0.5", Eastern OK over 0.5", less than a 0.5" for Central and SW OK. Side note for this...NW OK could be all snow for this, so might not be so boring looking outside for them.
Monday Feb 4th - Light
Tuesday Feb 5th - Better chance mainly Northern 2/3rds of OK

damonsmuz
01-21-2013, 01:31 PM
What happened to Damon Lane's predictions? Lol

Which one? :)

Uncle Slayton
01-21-2013, 01:46 PM
Two more years til retirement and I swear to god, I'm moving to Minot ND. As someone pointed out upthread, no tornadoes, no snow, ice, etc...very disappointing .

Plutonic Panda
01-22-2013, 12:57 PM
Hmmm Apparently OKC doesn't rank in the top five coldest cities in the US. I never knew.

Oklahoma City too warm to rank among America's coldest cities | NewsOK.com (http://newsok.com/oklahoma-city-too-warm-to-rank-among-americas-coldest-cities/article/3748101)

ou48A
01-22-2013, 01:27 PM
The 3 month forecast. I hope this is wrong.
VIDEO: Forecast for the Next 3 Months (http://www.weather.com/video/forecast-for-the-next-3-months-33830)

adaniel
01-22-2013, 02:02 PM
Hmmm Apparently OKC doesn't rank in the top five coldest cities in the US. I never knew.

Oklahoma City too warm to rank among America's coldest cities | NewsOK.com (http://newsok.com/oklahoma-city-too-warm-to-rank-among-americas-coldest-cities/article/3748101)

Who authorized this breathtaking piece of hard hitting journalism? I had no idea Barrow, Alaska and International Falls, Minnesota were colder than OKC.

ShiroiHikari
01-22-2013, 02:33 PM
Maybe I should make like my father and move to fricking Arizona. At least it's SUPPOSED to be hot and bone-dry there.

venture
01-22-2013, 03:03 PM
Maybe I should make like my father and move to fricking Arizona. At least it's SUPPOSED to be hot and bone-dry there.

Only a matter of time until we start seeing sand dunes start popping up in more places around here.

Plutonic Panda
01-22-2013, 04:32 PM
Who authorized this breathtaking piece of hard hitting journalism? I had no idea Barrow, Alaska and International Falls, Minnesota were colder than OKC.I know right. Hmmmm. I guess I had everything confused. Next you know I'm going to find out that Anchorage receives more snow a year than we do or that on average the Sahara desert is hotter than Oklahoma. ;)

BG918
01-22-2013, 08:57 PM
The GFS is showing a weather pattern shift with storms moving from the Rockies into Oklahoma around the 28th and again around the 31st. So some good news potentially on the horizon.

Bunty
01-23-2013, 04:13 PM
Meanwhile, Thursday afternoon,1/24, will be 30 to 35 degrees cooler than this afternoon and cloudy with a slight chance of rain or drizzle..

OKCisOK4me
01-24-2013, 02:08 AM
and, meanwhile, next Monday will be back up to 73 degrees. Gotta love this weather...sucks for spring and summer though cause I hate mosquitoes!

venture
01-24-2013, 11:26 AM
So looking at the morning model runs, the drought will continue. Shocker I know! One thing to keep in mind is that once a drought has been established as long as it has here, it is nearly impossible to break with out some major game changer (i.e. tropical storm).

Precip Chances...
Sunday Jan 27 - Mainly far NE OK, some drizzle I-35 and east.
Tuesday Jan 29 - SE OK
Saturday Feb 2 - Extreme SE OK
Tuesday Feb 5 - Drizzle I-35 and east, maybe heavier over SE OK

Temps will continue to be on a roller coaster. Some days in the 30s and 40s, some in the 60s and 70s, and back again. Most of the arctic air (teens or colder) looks like it won't ever make it south of Nebraska.

Anonymous.
01-24-2013, 12:37 PM
Yup. If you notice this and last year all the major weather events have been further east. Arkansas especially has seen way more action the last few years than OK.

A drought compounds on itself and each of these systems coming out of the west have little to no moisture to work with until they get into the eastern part of the state and ride through the Mississippi Valley.

We need another tropical storm Erin:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/ea/Erin_2007_rainfall.gif/800px-Erin_2007_rainfall.gif

OKCisOK4me
01-24-2013, 05:31 PM
Is that a giant ham bone over Kentucky?!? Man, reminds me of a childhood book, 'Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs'. The illustrations always made me hungry! Haven't seen the movie and don't care to...

NoOkie
01-25-2013, 07:09 AM
Is that a giant ham bone over Kentucky?!? Man, reminds me of a childhood book, 'Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs'. The illustrations always made me hungry! Haven't seen the movie and don't care to...

The kids wanted to go see it, so we did. I was really surprised at how good the movie is. Not a straight adaptation of the book, but charming and funny.

Anyway, back on topic. When do the dust storms start?

Roger S
01-25-2013, 12:17 PM
Anyway, back on topic. When do the dust storms start?

Farming practices have improved since the Dust Bowl era. I don't expect we'll be seeing any dust storms of that eras magnitude.

ou48A
01-25-2013, 01:35 PM
Farming practices have improved since the Dust Bowl era. I don't expect we'll be seeing any dust storms of that eras magnitude.While farming practices have improved…..
That doesn’t mean that significant dirt storms cannot still occur…. They in fact still do. I have lived though a few.
Without rain dirt / sand in our air will be a problem in much of Oklahoma.

Roger S
01-25-2013, 02:28 PM
That doesn’t mean that significant dirt storms cannot still occur…. They in fact still do. I have lived though a few.

Of the magnitude that took place during the Dust Bowl?

OKCisOK4me
01-25-2013, 02:51 PM

There was a dust storm a few weeks or a month ago around Lubbock that was pretty insane. It had, for the most part, dissipated by the time it reached Central Oklahoma but it was a beast for sure.

Here's a nice one in West Texas from November 2011:

Bird's eye view of West Texas dust storm (http://digitaltexan.net/2011/state/birds-eye-view-of-west-texas-dust-storm/article9750/#.UQL-EfIzRIs)

venture
01-25-2013, 02:55 PM
There was a dust storm a few weeks or a month ago around Lubbock that was pretty insane. It had, for the most part, dissipated by the time it reached Central Oklahoma but it was a beast for sure.

Here's a nice one in West Texas from November 2011:

Bird's eye view of West Texas dust storm (http://digitaltexan.net/2011/state/birds-eye-view-of-west-texas-dust-storm/article9750/#.UQL-EfIzRIs)

It should be noted how many times our skies have been hazy or even obstructed by dust from Texas or Kansas. Once the wind picks it up it doesn't settle very easily. It will be a gradual evolution as we continue to dry out even further. Now it can all change, but its pretty hard to reverse a drought in our part of the country. If we were in the Midwest or Great Lakes, its not as challenging.

OKCisOK4me
01-25-2013, 03:26 PM
Wouldn't all of this be due to the jet stream?

Why has the jet stream changed?

Is it due to human involvement?

I mean, I'm not a big believer of the whole Inconvenient Truth, Al Gore film but why has it been dry so frequently for the last few years?? Is it a natural cycle and we're just putting a greater dent in it by more humans being present or what?

Roger S
01-25-2013, 03:32 PM

I lay the blame on the Devon Tower for altering the Jet Stream. ;)

ou48A
01-25-2013, 03:48 PM

I have experienced dust storms in the heart of the old dust bowl that old times said were just as bad, save one or 2 storms….the difference is the frequency and irrigation.

Yes, significant dust storms still occur on the high plains that still cause very serious problems for some folks...
This just isn’t getting very much news media coverage, yet.
This will be increasingly impact the OKC area, if these areas don’t get good moisture soon.

venture
01-25-2013, 04:11 PM

I mean, I'm not a big believer of the whole Inconvenient Truth, Al Gore film but why has it been dry so frequently for the last few years?? Is it a natural cycle and we're just putting a greater dent in it by more humans being present or what?

I personal don't believe we have enough historical data to concretely say we have had an impact. However, we can look at the growth of the human population and really any CO2 producer and the decline in CO2 consuming organisms and eventually there is going to be a trade off. CO2 is a green house gas and the more of it around, the warmer things will get. So the less plant life around to eat up the CO2 the worse off things will get.

I have my faith in nature though that it will do what it always does...balance things back out. Might not be good for us, but we aren't the only living organism on this grain of sand.

Uncle Slayton
01-25-2013, 05:04 PM
I personal don't believe we have enough historical data to concretely say we have had an impact.

I have my faith in nature though that it will do what it always does...balance things back out. Might not be good for us, but we aren't the only living organism on this grain of sand.

Brilliant. Thank you. Somewhere out there, HWTJ's hands started twitching uncontrollably and he's having recurring urges to stop what he's doing and graph something.

venture
01-25-2013, 05:12 PM
Brilliant. Thank you. Somewhere out there, HWTJ's hands started twitching uncontrollably and he's having recurring urges to stop what he's doing and graph something.

Well just keep in mind what I'm saying. As all carbon dioxide producing species increase in population, more green house gases are going to be produced. We produce it more than just exhaling. So more of us, more carbon dioxide in the air. Seeing as we each produce about 1000 lbs of CO2 a year just from breathing, increasing the population as fast as we are now is going to catch up with us at some point.

OKCisOK4me
01-25-2013, 06:05 PM
I personal don't believe we have enough historical data to concretely say we have had an impact. However, we can look at the growth of the human population and really any CO2 producer and the decline in CO2 consuming organisms and eventually there is going to be a trade off. CO2 is a green house gas and the more of it around, the warmer things will get. So the less plant life around to eat up the CO2 the worse off things will get.

Well, that's my point. That, maybe, it's a 70 or 80 year cycle that dust storms will come and go in this region of the country while the jet stream goes through its migratory pattern, if you will. It's the meteorological portion of the ecological system.

So, I'd assume that before the 1930s Dust Bowl, there was another drought of the magnitudes 70 or 80 years beforehand that affected our very region. How many people were in this region to record those? Are there records of that happening here during that time frame? I mean, there were settlers making their way out west at that time, but this area was Indian Territory then. The AT&SF may have been surveyed in the 1870s if I recall correctly so other than that, are there records of weather events?

Plutonic Panda
01-25-2013, 09:25 PM

I mean, I'm not a big believer of the whole Inconvenient Truth, Al Gore film but why has it been dry so frequently for the last few years?? Is it a natural cycle and we're just putting a greater dent in it by more humans being present or what?Check out Haarp and decide for yourself what you think about it.

LocoAko
01-26-2013, 08:53 AM
Check out Haarp and decide for yourself what you think about it.

Hopefully you're not serious?

OKCisOK4me
01-26-2013, 09:13 AM
Hopefully you're not serious?

Young minds are impressionable...

Jim Kyle
01-26-2013, 09:43 AM
Well, that's my point. That, maybe, it's a 70 or 80 year cycle that dust storms will come and go in this region of the country while the jet stream goes through its migratory pattern, if you will. It's the meteorological portion of the ecological system.Actually that's an excellent suggestion. Tree-ring research ought to be able to shed light on it, too; such a cycle of extreme drouth conditions ought to show up quite clearly in the tree rings if anyone looked for it.

Back in the mid-40s, when I was still in junior high school, I was an avid reader of "Popular Science" and "Mechanix Illustrated" magazines, and one of my favorite writers was a fellow named Willy Ley. He wrote about all sorts of things, and even touched on the possibility of splitting the atom (a year or two before Trinity and Hiroshima). One of his articles, about the importance of cycles in human events and in nature, has stuck with me over the years. Starting with the 11-year sunspot cycle, he explored other, longer-term cycles as shown by history. One of his examples was a 400-year cycle of the geographical positioning of power, and he wrote that this cycle predicted a swing of the center of power from the region bordering the Atlantic, over to Asia, beginning in the late 40s, peaking in the 22nd century, and returning to the Atlantic region in the 24th. It's a bit too soon to know for sure, but the powers in Asia are certainly more prominent now than they were 70 years ago, and those around the Atlantic seem to be shrinking...

Meteorologists are aware of seasonal cycles of the jet stream and speak of it all the time. It's not unreasonable to suggest that longer cycles may also exist...

Plutonic Panda
01-26-2013, 12:58 PM
Hopefully you're not serious?;)

LocoAko
01-26-2013, 06:15 PM
;)

Heh. Phew. :)

SoonerDave
01-26-2013, 09:01 PM

Ironically enough, I was reading a story today about the area around the old Chernobyl reactor that was cordoned off and abandoned as dangerously unlivable due to radiation...but in the intervening quarter-century has now become a natural hotspot for several varieties of animals, none of which are showing up with three eyeballs or two heads. Once again, God shows us that He really is in control and, somehow, manages to keep thing going in spite of man's profound, self-absorbed, "wisdom."

Sorry, don't mean to diverge, just echoing Venture's point that somehow these things balance out. God is a God of order, not chaos, and that's right back where things are going to go.

jn1780
01-27-2013, 01:13 PM
Ironically enough, I was reading a story today about the area around the old Chernobyl reactor that was cordoned off and abandoned as dangerously unlivable due to radiation...but in the intervening quarter-century has now become a natural hotspot for several varieties of animals, none of which are showing up with three eyeballs or two heads. Once again, God shows us that He really is in control and, somehow, manages to keep thing going in spite of man's profound, self-absorbed, "wisdom."

Sorry, don't mean to diverge, just echoing Venture's point that somehow these things balance out. God is a God of order, not chaos, and that's right back where things are going to go.

Yeah, lower forms of life with shorter lifespans often thrieve when humans are not around. Long term exposure to radation is the least of their problems. Lol

venture
01-27-2013, 06:24 PM
Oh hey a weather update...for reals!

Tuesday - Slight Risk of severe weather...yes, I understand it's winter but bahhh...I give up with these so called seasons we are suppose to have, anyway... Slight risk of severe weather. Decent storm is going to be kicking out and unlike Spring storms, you don't need CAPE values over 3000 to get a decent show. Looks like instability will be setting up early over Central OK (gradually moving east through the day). CAPE values in some spots could push 1000-1500. EHI values will be decent, but nothing to signify end of the world stuff. LI's are relatively slow, but this time of year still decent. Could see storms start up just North and West of I-44, which the heavier precip in SW OK. Storms will migrate east of I-35 probably by lunch time (give or are take a couple hours).

SPC is hinting at an upgrade to Moderate for those out in AR, NE TX, and NW LA...possibly far SE OK. This really isn't that out of the ordinary since the Southeast US gets into their severe weather season about this time of year. However, it does seem to be a wee bit further west and well north of the usual areas for this time of year (all the way north into IL and IN).

It probably won't be a lot for us. Typically early season storms tend to rocket east pretty quickly leaving us views of "what could have been" out on the Eastern horizon as we fall through the cracks in the clay of our yards.

Uncle Slayton
01-27-2013, 06:30 PM
You can go ahead and say it. We're done w/ snow this season,aren't we?

jn1780
01-27-2013, 07:09 PM
You know he can't say that! Lol It will probably snow that second week of March knowing the weather we been having lately.

venture
01-27-2013, 07:30 PM
You know he can't say that! Lol It will probably snow that second week of March knowing the weather we been having lately.

I was going to say Mid July, but March is probably more realistic. ;)

Looking long range...looks like more of the same. Some dips in to the 30s/40s and then peaks in the 60s/70s. So annoying. Bugs are starting to come back and I enjoy my reprieve from having to deal with spiders and scorpions.

venture
01-27-2013, 07:57 PM
Duplicate.

venture
01-28-2013, 10:37 AM
So of course the month I take out the severe weather images from the front, is the month we have severe weather chances. Sigh.

Anyway. Risk increasing throughout the day. Looks to be mainly after midnight tonight for Central through SW OK. Maybe late evening today over NE OK. Main risks today are winds, half, and a tornado or two. Yeah...screw the season. LOL

Everything should still push east of I-35 by Noon tomorrow it appears where severe weather risks increase at a pretty good clip.

Just keep the weather radios plugged in for this evening in case things get a little crazy.

venture
01-28-2013, 10:42 AM
http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/outlook/day2otlk_1730.gif

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/outlook/day2probotlk_1730_any.gif

DAY 2 CONVECTIVE OUTLOOK
NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK
1130 AM CST MON JAN 28 2013

VALID 291200Z - 301200Z

...THERE IS A MDT RISK OF SVR TSTMS FROM NRN LA...CNTRL AND ERN
AR...EXTREME SWRN TN AND NWRN TO WCNTRL MS...

...THERE IS A SLGT RISK OF SVR TSTMS OVER A PORTION OF THE SRN
PLAINS...LOWER THROUGH MID MS VALLEY INTO WRN PARTS OF THE TN AND OH
VALLEYS...

...SYNOPSIS...

THE HIGH AMPLITUDE UPPER TROUGH NOW OVER THE WRN U.S. WILL ADVANCE
EWD...WITH MODEL CONSENSUS INDICATING THAT THE TROUGH AXIS WILL BE
LOCATED FROM MN THROUGH CNTRL/ERN TX BY THE END OF THIS PERIOD. MID
LEVEL JET AND ATTENDANT VORT MAX LOCATED WITHIN BASE OF THE TROUGH
SHOULD EJECT FROM THE SRN PLAINS THROUGH THE LOWER-MID MS VALLEY
TUESDAY NIGHT. AS THIS OCCURS A CYCLONE WILL DEEPEN AND LIFT NEWD
THROUGH THE MID MS VALLEY REGION. A POLAR FRONT WILL EXTEND FROM THE
SFC LOW OVER IA SWWD INTO CNTRL/SRN HIGH PLAINS EARLY TUESDAY...WITH
A PACIFIC FRONT/DRYLINE EXTENDING SWD THROUGH WRN TX. POLAR FRONT
WILL ADVANCE SEWD DURING THE DAY...WHILE THE PACIFIC FRONT SURGES
EWD AND MERGES WITH DRYLINE...CONTINUING THROUGH THE LOWER MS VALLEY
OVERNIGHT.

...SRN PLAINS THROUGH LOWER MS VALLEY REGION...

POTENTIAL EXISTS FOR A SIGNIFICANT SEVERE WEATHER EVENT TUESDAY WITH
DAMAGING WIND AND TORNADOES THE PRIMARY THREATS...ESPECIALLY DURING
THE EVENING AND OVERNIGHT IN MODERATE RISK AREA. OBSERVATIONS SHOW A
RESERVOIR OF MIDDLE TO UPPER 60S DEWPOINTS FROM CNTRL INTO SRN TX.
SLY BOUNDARY LAYER FLOW ALREADY EXISTS FROM THE SRN PLAINS INTO THE
LOWER MS VALLEY AND WILL STRENGTHEN TUESDAY IN ASSOCIATION WITH AN
INTENSIFYING LLJ. WIDESPREAD MULTI-LAYER CLOUDS WILL LIMIT BOUNDARY
LAYER WARMING DURING THE DAY. HOWEVER...MID 60S DEWPOINTS SHOULD
ADVECT AS FAR NORTH AS SERN OK INTO CNTRL AR AND NRN MS BENEATH A
PLUME OF 6.5 C/KM MID LEVEL LAPSE RATES RESULTING IN AT LEAST
500-1000 J/KG MLCAPE.

STORMS ARE EXPECTED TO DEVELOP WITHIN PRE-FRONTAL CONFLUENCE BAND
ACROSS CNTRL/ERN OK INTO NCNTRL/NERN TX EARLY TUESDAY AND SHIFT EWD
AND NEWD DURING THE DAY. OTHER STORMS MAY DEVELOP FARTHER SOUTH
THROUGH ERN TX DURING THE AFTERNOON ALONG MERGING PACIFIC FRONT AND
SHIFT EWD THROUGH THE LOWER MS VALLEY. THE BOUNDARY LAYER WILL
MOISTEN SUFFICIENTLY FOR THIS ACTIVITY TO BECOME SFC BASED. STORMS
WILL BE EMBEDDED WITHIN STRONG DEEP LAYER FLOW WITH A 50+ KT SLY LLJ
AND MID LEVEL WINDS INCREASING TO 80 KT. STORMS ARE EXPECTED TO
EVOLVE INTO A PREDOMINANT QLCS WITH EMBEDDED SUPERCELL AND BOWING
SEGMENTS POSING A RISK FOR DAMAGING WIND AND TORNADOES. TORNADO
THREAT MAY INCREASE OVERNIGHT...ESPECIALLY IN MODERATE RISK AREA
WHERE LLJ INTENSIFYING TO IN EXCESS OF 70 KT WILL BE COLLOCATED WITH
NRN EDGE OF MID 60S DEWPOINTS.

Praedura
01-28-2013, 01:13 PM
Not pertinent to any current conditions -- just thought that this was funny:

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/14821_158891750925861_1758836092_n.jpg (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=158891750925861&set=p.158891750925861&type=1&relevant_count=1)

venture
01-28-2013, 08:31 PM
We are upgraded to a slight risk for the overnight. Hail, wind and a tornado or two. A few cells have already developed out there. One near Mulhall, another near Guthrie, Cashion, and finally one between Yukon and Mustang. All move NE @ 35 mph.

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/outlook/day1otlk_0100.gif

venture
01-28-2013, 08:32 PM
http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/md/mcd0062.gif

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 0062
NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK
0929 PM CST MON JAN 28 2013

AREAS AFFECTED...N-CNTRL OK

CONCERNING...SEVERE POTENTIAL...WATCH POSSIBLE

VALID 290329Z - 290530Z

PROBABILITY OF WATCH ISSUANCE...40 PERCENT

SUMMARY...ISOLATED TSTMS MAY BE INITIATING WITHIN THE WARM/MOIST
SECTOR ACROSS CNTRL OK. ENVIRONMENT IS FAVORABLE FOR SUPERCELLS WITH
ALL SEVERE THREATS POSSIBLE.

DISCUSSION...A SHORT NNE TO SSW BAND OF ISOLATED SHOWERS HAS FORMED
IN THE PAST HALF HOUR FROM LOGAN TO NRN GRADY COUNTIES...E OF THE
SURFACE DRYLINE IN WRN OK. ALTHOUGH LARGE-SCALE ASCENT WAS NOT
ANTICIPATED TO STRENGTHEN SUBSTANTIALLY TILL AFTER 09Z PER MOST
MODEL GUIDANCE...IT IS POSSIBLE THAT THIS CONVECTION MAY BECOME
SUSTAINED AS WEAK MID-LEVEL HEIGHT FALLS OVERSPREAD THE REGION BY
06Z. EVENING FORECAST SOUNDINGS ALONG WITH MODIFIED 00Z OUN/LMN
RAOBS SUGGEST MODEST MLCAPE AND MID-LEVEL LAPSE RATES SHOULD PERSIST
AMIDST A HIGHLY FAVORABLE LOW/MID-LEVEL WIND PROFILE FOR UPDRAFT
ROTATION. THUS...IF CONVECTION CAN BECOME SUSTAINED...RISKS FOR
SEVERE HAIL/WIND AND A TORNADO OR TWO WOULD DEVELOP.

venture
01-28-2013, 09:05 PM
HRRR short term looks like this. Existing activity should remain fairly minimal and continue to move off to the North and East and should end by 1AM.

Next round fires up in the Panhandles and SW OK around 4AM. Should have a pretty good line that will be near Central OK by 6AM. It will be out of the metro area by 10AM it appears. It is forecasting that the storms should intensify right overhead during this time frame, so the morning commute could be pretty interesting.