View Full Version : OkcTalk hacked?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Lauri101
12-24-2012, 06:21 AM
The only way I can get into site is through mobile version- Internet explorer on p&c shows a bunch of hacker crap. Anyone else having problems?

BBatesokc
12-24-2012, 06:32 AM
I can get to the site on my Mac, but if i click the link to see new posts it errors out. Some other links are acting odd too.

venture
12-24-2012, 06:48 AM
Yeah noticed it last night. Not sure if they try to do a new build version and it screwed things up or not. The post formatting tools are all completely gone right now.

SoonerDave
12-24-2012, 06:54 AM
Things are acting very strangely for me - some links work, some don't, and route to page of garbage at www.io-trio.com (?)

Ginkasa
12-24-2012, 06:55 AM
I can access the site on my PC, but only if I manually go to each forum. I can load the "New Posts" page, but it won't load any of the threads or anything.

LandRunOkie
12-24-2012, 07:17 AM
The post editing features also are gone, something I make regular use of...

Pete
12-24-2012, 08:27 AM
We had a little glitch starting yesterday but are now back to normal.

We did have to restore the site from about noon yesterday (Sunday Dec. 23rd) so if you posted between then and around 9:00AM on Monday, those posts were lost.

Sorry for the trouble but all should be well now.

Snowman
12-24-2012, 08:35 AM
Yesterday links were trying to route to some random German domain extension for me

kevinpate
12-24-2012, 08:38 AM
yeah, AVG alerted to backdoor exploits sometime yesterday. Glad it is resolved. Have some time to kill before I drive to Dallas. Would just as soon slash and dash it here since the lovely has a bake fest of her own slated for this morning.

CuatrodeMayo
12-24-2012, 08:57 AM
Yesterday links were trying to route to some random German domain extension for me

Still doing that for me...

CuatrodeMayo
12-24-2012, 09:08 AM
Actually, I've narrowed it down to Forum, What's New, and Project Map buttons. Additionally, clicking the OKC Talk logo and New Posts does the same.

Jim Kyle
12-24-2012, 10:27 AM
This link still goes astray: http://www.okctalk.com/current-events-open-topic/32941-frequent-okctalk-poster-shot-death.html

Time is 11:26 Central...

Note that first page is okay, but going to second page still gets edico...

Pete
12-24-2012, 10:35 AM
This link still goes astray: http://www.okctalk.com/current-events-open-topic/32941-frequent-okctalk-poster-shot-death.html

Time is 11:26 Central...

Note that first page is okay, but going to second page still gets edico...

Jim, try hitting refresh on your browser.

Jim Kyle
12-24-2012, 10:43 AM
I just did; this is the link I get, still: http://edico-equipment.de/clicker.php

Finally cleared my browser cache and that got rid of it. Thanks, Sid!

CuatrodeMayo
12-24-2012, 12:34 PM
There you go.

CuatrodeMayo
12-24-2012, 12:46 PM
If anyone is still experiencing the issue, try clearing your browser cache.

Here's a link to a page with how to do that for pretty much all of the browsers: How to Clear Your Browser's Cache (with screenshots) - wikiHow (http://www.wikihow.com/Clear-Your-Browser's-Cache)

If you are running an iPad, follow these steps (worked for me):

To clear the Safari Cache on your iPad complete the following steps:

Go to the Settings App on your iPad
Tap the Safari sub-menu
Within the Safari menu, tap the "Clear Cookies and Data" button
In the pop-up window, tap "Clear"

Additionally, from this screen, you can close the Safari application (if it is already running) to ensure a fresh start

Double tap home button
Press and hold the safari App icon, hold until the icons begin to "jiggle" and the red minus overlay presents itself
Tap the red minus overlay in the top left corner of the Safari application and tap the home button

Lauri101
12-24-2012, 02:01 PM
If you are running an iPad, follow these steps (worked for me):

This works for IPhone also- thanks!

Easy180
12-25-2012, 03:27 PM
Alright I'm an idiot...Getting this error when clicking What's New still after clearing my cookies and data an iPhone 4s

http://edico-equipment.de/clicker.php?do=getnew&exclude=24&contenttype=vBForum_Post

bluedogok
12-25-2012, 06:05 PM
I had to change my bookmark and drop the index.php from it, I am able to access it fine with just http://www.okctalk.com/
I was still getting the .de redirect when using my bookmark.

bluedogok
12-25-2012, 06:08 PM
The FORUM button at the top still has the index.php and still goes to the redirect.

kevinpate
12-25-2012, 06:29 PM
The FORUM button at the top still has the index.php and still goes to the redirect.

doesn't for me. Goes where it should.

bluedogok
12-25-2012, 06:56 PM
I cleared the cache again and it works properly now....

SoonerBoy18
12-26-2012, 06:08 PM
Every time I log in, it says "Thank you for logging in. "$$brefino[username]"

Plutonic Panda
12-27-2012, 12:43 PM
Every time I log in, it says "Thank you for logging in. "$$brefino[username]"Yeah it does that for me too. There should be a report forum for glitches and sort.

Pete
12-27-2012, 01:39 PM
^

That's just a vBulletin glitch that will likely be fixed with the next patch.

It's been that way since a major upgrade months ago.

Pete
12-28-2012, 01:06 PM
Sorry for the recent troubles.

Seems as if there was an old flash chat application (installed long before I bought the site) that was providing problems and a possible entry point for hackers.

Still doing some work behind the scenes but all seems to be well now.

Anonymous.
12-28-2012, 01:14 PM
Looks like today's posts were lost in going to the backup.

Pete
12-28-2012, 01:17 PM
Yes, we reverted to the midnight backup.

kelroy55
12-29-2012, 09:33 AM
Sorry for the recent troubles.

Seems as if there was an old flash chat application (installed long before I bought the site) that was providing problems and a possible entry point for hackers.

Still doing some work behind the scenes but all seems to be well now.

Whew.... thought I got banned lol

Lauri101
12-29-2012, 01:31 PM
finally got back in - automatic punishment for hackers s/b to cut off their fingers!

Pete
12-29-2012, 01:31 PM
For some reason, these attacks are largely coming from Vietnam of all places.

OKCDrummer77
12-29-2012, 01:34 PM
For some reason, these attacks are largely coming from Vietnam of all places.

Are there too many negative reviews of Pho restaurants on here?

Jim Kyle
12-29-2012, 01:56 PM
For some reason, these attacks are largely coming from Vietnam of all places.With the prevalence of botnets everywhere, the actual starting point could be almost anywhere. Since every injection I've seen here in the last week or two has had the single word "ok" as its only content, I'd bet on the control point being in Florida, USA, via SE Asia... My second guess would be eastern Europe.

JamesFiend
01-09-2013, 05:43 AM
Getting another trojan alert from COMODO

Just the facts
01-09-2013, 06:34 AM
To add to what James just posted - I am getting a similar notice from Norton.

Pete
01-09-2013, 09:57 AM
Working on it.

Should be resolved soon.

Urban Pioneer
01-09-2013, 03:53 PM
OKC Talk is acting up today. Really hard to do very basic stuff like editing text.

Pete
01-09-2013, 05:05 PM
I'm paying someone to do a full site clean-up and it will take a few days to complete.

Lots of remnants of stuff that pre-dated my ownership, and we have to literally go file by file and check to see if they are corrupted.

Sorry for the trouble but should be completely fixed soon.

RadicalModerate
01-09-2013, 06:02 PM
(weary of wandering thru the choppy jungle of possibly faux alerts from "avast" . . .)
(and bearing in mind the heavy burden of previously observed hackers from French IndoChina . . . )

I wonder if what "They" are after is an authentic Noodle Joint with barbeque . . .
Like . . . Maybe . . . Pho Q? =)

Just kidding, Pete. I know you are far more invested and preturbed by this sort of annoyance than those of us who simply use the site as an opportunity to make things better.

Pete
01-09-2013, 06:26 PM
Not only am I'm frustrated and perturbed it's taking a lot of my time and now will cost at least several hundred dollars to get this fixed.

But it will get done...

Appreciate the patience and loyalty to the forum!

HangryHippo
01-10-2013, 08:47 AM
When I type in okctalk.com into Google Chrome browser on my desktop PC, I'm getting a warning each time that looks like this:

I could usually click a link and it would load the page for me and there'd be no other problem other than that annoying warning instead of taking me to okctalk.com.

And starting yesterday this same warning has started popping up on my iPhone as well and I can't find a way to get around the warning on my phone when I'm viewing the site in the mobile layout. So, I end up switching to the full-site and loading the page and then switching back to the mobile layout, but when I do this, it's not loading properly and the formatting is all gone so I can't tell what are new posts as it's just a white background with the links to threads. Does that make sense?

Is anyone else having these particular issues?

BBatesokc
01-10-2013, 08:51 AM
@OnlyOne - I just checked with my iPhone 4s and the site loaded and fine and links seem to work as expected.

However, one thing I noticed is I can't "Reply With Quote." I just get the spinning wheel and nothing ever happens.

educator1953
01-10-2013, 09:01 AM
Got a Norton warning for this site.

SoonerDave
01-10-2013, 09:09 AM
I can second the issue BBatesOKC is having with the "Reply With Quote" not working. Just spins forever. And I've also had the "Invalid forum specified" message for eons, but just assumed it was a holdover from a bad bookmark link following some of the recent changes that I'd just been too lazy to delete and recreate...but perhaps its actually a problem..??

HangryHippo
01-10-2013, 09:27 AM
However, one thing I noticed is I can't "Reply With Quote." I just get the spinning wheel and nothing ever happens.

I forgot, but this is another issue I'm having on my iPhone. I can't reply to any threads via my phone. I click the button "Reply thread" but nothing ever loads. I've cleared my history, cookies, cache, anything and everything that can be cleared on an iPhone, I've tried clearing and nothing seems to fix it.

OklahomaNick
01-10-2013, 09:35 AM
I got a Google Chrome warning this morning.

It said: Danger Malware Ahead.
Google Chrome has blocked access to www.okctalk.com

Content from artprasy.com, a known malware distributor, has been inserted into this page.

HangryHippo
01-10-2013, 09:45 AM
I got a Google Chrome warning this morning.

It said: Danger Malware Ahead.
Google Chrome has blocked access to www.okctalk.com

Content from artprasy.com, a known malware distributor, has been inserted into this page.

I had this exact same issue about two weeks ago, but it happened only once and I haven't seen it again.

Pete
01-10-2013, 10:16 AM
I've hired a company to do a comprehensive cleaning of the site.

It will take a few days but will also serve to identify and close whatever access these hackers have gained.

Sorry again for the trouble but please bear with us.

venture
01-10-2013, 01:45 PM
I had this exact same issue about two weeks ago, but it happened only once and I haven't seen it again.

I've started to get it as well on Chrome. I decided to bypass it since Avast is blocking the trojan each time it tries to install itself.

Pete, I know its early but any idea if any data (emails, passwords, etc) were compromised from all of this?

I'm wondering where they are inserting things. I would think the ads portion is the first hole, but adblock is running on chrome for me so all that is blocked.

Plutonic Panda
01-10-2013, 04:20 PM
Whenever I log in, it say's warning this site is infected with malware and visiting this site is dangerous for your computer ect.... Just though I'd let you know. :)

Pete
01-12-2013, 06:34 AM
We should be good to go now.

So sorry for the problems but we spent a lot of time and money to get things cleaned and fixed and hopefully that's the end of it.

Thanks for your patience!

Bailey80
01-12-2013, 08:34 AM
So glad you're back. I need my OkcTalk fix!

HangryHippo
01-12-2013, 08:43 AM
Agreed! Thanks for the work, Pete!

venture
01-12-2013, 10:10 AM
Thanks Pete, we all appreciate it. :)

OUman
01-12-2013, 04:18 PM
Yep, definitely appreciate the time and money (and effort) being put into the site, thank you Pete.

RadicalModerate
01-12-2013, 05:21 PM
My long, long overdue check to Pete will be in the mail on Monday.
(please note that i didn't say is IN the mail . . . =)
I support NPR and PBS and this is far more entertaining and enlightening.
(plus i finally have the IRS and OTC dogs at bay . . . =)

Seriously (not including the fact that the check WILL be in mail) . . .
Did all of the recent site disruption have anything to do with the recently headlined Java7 et.al. flaw (that actually started to be headlined last summer and maybe before that?)

Just curious . . . Plus I can't seem to find the "Java"off button on the new laptop and the trusty ol' Windows 2000 tower is running Java 1.(something)

Snowman
01-12-2013, 06:11 PM
Did all of the recent site disruption have anything to do with the recently headlined Java7 et.al. flaw (that actually started to be headlined last summer and maybe before that?)

Just curious . . . Plus I can't seem to find the "Java"off button on the new laptop and the trusty ol' Windows 2000 tower is running Java 1.(something)

In any case I would recommend turning off the Java browser plugin, it has been one of the worst security issues for users for a couple years and currently gives people little benefits. It was never as popular as the Java environments that allows standard applications to run on any operating system and it is rare to see it used on any modern website. Googleing: disable java plugin <broser> (version if IE), should get you get you instructions for it.

JohnH_in_OKC
01-12-2013, 09:19 PM
Everyone needs to IMMEDIATEDELY disable Java until its vulnerabilities are fixed or, most likely, say goodbye forever to an outdated, hackable Internet tool.

Yesterday, PC Magazine website published the following article: How to Disable Java (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2414191,00.asp) How to Disable Java | PCMag.com (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2414191,00.asp)

Also, the Naked Security website wrote last August 30th: How to turn off Java on your browser - and why you should do it now (http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2012/08/30/how-turn-off-java-browser/) How to turn off Java on your browser ? and why you should do it now | Naked Security (http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2012/08/30/how-turn-off-java-browser/)

Doug Loudenback
01-12-2013, 10:50 PM
In my tests with Firefox, Chrome and IE Explorer, everything seems to be working OK.

Doug Loudenback
01-12-2013, 11:06 PM
I should also have said that I took seriously JohnH_in_OKC's post, and I've read the same elsewhere. A downside to disabling Java is that I notice that posts are not available for editing, else I would have put this follow-up message in the above post but as edited. After Java releases a version that takes care of the security flaw, I'm sure that I'll enable Java again.