View Full Version : Double Fatality Traffic Accident in Norman

AltusBorn
12-12-2012, 11:14 AM
Norman Police Press Release
Authorized by Chief Keith L. Humphrey
December 12, 2012, 11:55 A.M.

Norman police officers investigating yesterday’s six-car collision on North Flood Avenue have released the names of the drivers involved. David Tompkins, age 27 and a resident of Moore, OK, was transported by EMSSTAT to Norman Regional Hospital, where he died. David Jester, age 25 and a resident of Norman, died at the scene. Representative of the Office of the State Medical Examiner transported Jester’s body to their facility in Oklahoma City.

David Lee Gibbs, age 48 of Norman, sustained injuries in the collision, as did Robert Thomas Lorrah, age 38, who is also a Norman resident. Two other drivers--Brian Scott McDonald, age 21 of Alex, OK, and Nicholas Heath Taylor, age 31 of Norman—were also involved but did not reported any injuries.

Preliminary information indicates that the 2000 GMC Yukon, driven by Tompkins, crossed into oncoming traffic while traveling south on Flood Avenue. The collision remains an open investigation under the direction of Master Police Officer S. Praizner and other members of the department’s Collision Investigation and Reconstruction Team.

MonkeesFan
12-12-2012, 03:26 PM
Tompkins is alive or no?

kevinpate
12-12-2012, 04:16 PM
Tompkins is alive or no?

According to the article both Tompkins and Jester died, with Jester passing at the scene and Tompkins passing at the hospital after transport. Very close in age to my two oldest children, and from their school if I understand correctly. Very sad.

venture
12-12-2012, 08:56 PM
Terrible news. I travel that way nearly every day and there really isn't anything that can be done to make it safer.

RadicalModerate
12-12-2012, 10:39 PM
Terrible news. I travel that way nearly every day and there really isn't anything that can be done to make it safer.

Surely you don't really mean that . . . (regarding "safety potentiality")
I would bet that operator error in the form of a cellphone and "being late" contributed to the cause.

Plutonic Panda
12-13-2012, 03:04 AM
Terrible news. I travel that way nearly every day and there really isn't anything that can be done to make it safer.If it is that dangerous than maybe they should just remove the road all together?

venture
12-13-2012, 08:02 AM
If it is that dangerous than maybe they should just remove the road all together?

I would think Hwy 9 in far east Norman is a better candidate for being dangerous than Hwy 77 at Tecumseh.

Plutonic Panda
12-13-2012, 01:41 PM
I would think Hwy 9 in far east Norman is a better candidate for being dangerous than Hwy 77 at Tecumseh.Yeah I have heard bad things about Hwy 9. Never been on it though.

YO MUDA
12-14-2012, 05:24 PM
I avoid HWY 9. People always in a hurry and pass in no passing zones and on the right. Scary.

kevinpate
12-14-2012, 10:37 PM
Fwiw, when i need to leave norman going east on 9, i often take e robinson or alameda out to 84th street and then go south to Hwy 9. safer in my opinion.