View Full Version : Oklahoma Weather Discussion - December 2012

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]

Bill Robertson
12-27-2012, 08:13 AM
Take it for what it's worth. Heck at this point, this is probably when we'd get the foot of snow - when it isn't expected. :-PI'm going to try and forget I read this.

kelroy55
12-27-2012, 09:47 AM
Believe it or not, their signal boosts farther than the bounds of Oklahoma City proper...

No way

pw405
12-27-2012, 11:25 AM
so are there any models for the predicted storm on NYE?

kelroy55
12-27-2012, 12:34 PM
so are there any models for the predicted storm on NYE?

Yes, several

Anonymous.
12-27-2012, 12:49 PM
As it stands now, it looks to stay above 32F for most of OK for the NYE storm. But not by much.

Bill Robertson
12-27-2012, 12:54 PM
As it stands now, it looks to stay above 32F for most of OK for the NYE storm. But not by much.This would be a case where not much is usually enough to make me happy.

OKCisOK4me
12-27-2012, 02:21 PM
Weather Channel, Accuweather & even KFOR have nothing on the 31st or the first so I'm fine with that.

venture
12-27-2012, 05:47 PM
Weather Channel, Accuweather & even KFOR have nothing on the 31st or the first so I'm fine with that.

You might want to recheck. They all are calling for rain.

Model forecast sounds show we'll be about 2-3 degrees to warm for it to freeze, which means a very cold rain. We'll have to see though since upper air temps will be very close to allow for a snow mixture. If anything, hopefully we can get surface temps just above freezing and keep upper air temps below to get a nice snowfall that isn't going to mess roads up.

Back to near term really quick.

Do not be shocked if we see an advisory go up tonight for freezing drizzle and freezing fog. Hopefully enough salt is on the roads to keep them from icing up. Might get a very picturesque scene at dawn if we get a nice crystal coating on everything.

OKCisOK4me
12-27-2012, 05:52 PM
Yeah, one of them showed rain on Tuesday.

zookeeper
12-27-2012, 05:58 PM
Believe it or not, their signal boosts farther than the bounds of Oklahoma City proper...

And, they're on cable systems all over the state. I know the Ardmore cable system used to have 2 DFW network affiliates and 3 OKC.

venture
12-27-2012, 06:09 PM
Uhh...

Yeah, one of them showed rain on Tuesday.

I'm so confused. LOL

Plutonic Panda
12-27-2012, 06:21 PM
By Michael Armstrong, News 9 Weather - bio | email

Light freezing drizzle and freezing fog will be possible tonight and early Friday morning south and east of a line from Ponca City to Enid to Clinton to Hobart. The threat area includes the OKC metro.
This is a situation where the amounts are not nearly as important as the type of precipitation. As a result, a thin glaze of ice will be possible on roadways creating potentially slick driving conditions for the Friday morning commute. Increasing north winds after 8 a.m. will help reduce the threat of icing during the late morning and afternoon hours.

Drivers are encouraged to check in early tomorrow morning on driving conditions for your area in case you need to give yourself extra time.

Icy Conditions Possible For Early Friday Morning - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports | (http://www.news9.com/story/20436325/icy-conditions-possible-for-early-friday-morning)

OKCisOK4me
12-27-2012, 06:44 PM
Uhh...

I'm so confused. LOL

You ever have those days where you get the day disassociated with the date? I was thinking of Tuesday as the 2nd...my baddddddd.

OKCisOK4me
12-27-2012, 06:45 PM
By Michael Armstrong, News 9 Weather - bio | email

Light freezing drizzle and freezing fog will be possible tonight and early Friday morning south and east of a line from Ponca City to Enid to Clinton to Hobart. The threat area includes the OKC metro.
This is a situation where the amounts are not nearly as important as the type of precipitation. As a result, a thin glaze of ice will be possible on roadways creating potentially slick driving conditions for the Friday morning commute. Increasing north winds after 8 a.m. will help reduce the threat of icing during the late morning and afternoon hours.

Drivers are encouraged to check in early tomorrow morning on driving conditions for your area in case you need to give yourself extra time.

Icy Conditions Possible For Early Friday Morning - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports | (http://www.news9.com/story/20436325/icy-conditions-possible-for-early-friday-morning)

Glad I don't have to work til 11!

Plutonic Panda
12-27-2012, 07:00 PM
Glad I don't have to work til 11!haha I don't work at all. I have school. But not until the 22nd.... hell yeeeaaaaaaah lol

kelroy55
12-27-2012, 07:01 PM
And, they're on cable systems all over the state. I know the Ardmore cable system used to have 2 DFW network affiliates and 3 OKC.

What will they think of next? j/k

venture
12-28-2012, 01:17 AM
Loop (http://rapidrefresh.noaa.gov/HRRR/jsloopLocalDiskDateDomain.cgi?dsKeys=hrrr_jet:&runTime=2012122805&plotName=acsnw_t5sfc&fcstInc=60&numFcsts=16&model=hrrr&ptitle=HRRR%20Model%20Fields%20-%20Experimental&maxFcstLen=15&fcstStrLen=-1&resizePlot=1&domain=t5)

Short term HRRR model runs continue to develop some scattered snow showers in the morning dropping a quick dusting up to 1-2 inches in places. Not sold on it, just passing it along. :)

OKCisOK4me
12-28-2012, 01:57 PM
Sold...

Plutonic Panda
12-28-2012, 03:33 PM
Sold...Good note...good note

Plutonic Panda
12-28-2012, 03:35 PM
I guess this is kind of related I don't know. That massive pile up they had... people are being fined for it, everyone of em'.

OHP Fines Drivers In Christmas Morning Pile-Up - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports | (http://www.news9.com/story/20445186/ohp-fines-drivers-in-christmas-morning-pile-up)

Bunty
12-28-2012, 04:40 PM
I guess this is kind of related I don't know. That massive pile up they had... people are being fined for it, everyone of em'.

OHP Fines Drivers In Christmas Morning Pile-Up - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports | (http://www.news9.com/story/20445186/ohp-fines-drivers-in-christmas-morning-pile-up)GOOD! People have to learn to slow down somehow in bad weather. Besides, all the delay in your schedule from an accident and having to leave your car with the weather real cold isn't worth the risk of driving near the speed limit under such conditions.

OKCisOK4me
12-28-2012, 08:12 PM
GOOD! People have to learn to slow down somehow in bad weather. Besides, all the delay in your schedule from an accident and having to leave your car with the weather real cold isn't worth the risk of driving near the speed limit under such conditions.

So I guess the state of Texas should take a page from Oklahoma and fine all 200 of those in that pile up on I-20 because they weren't driving properly in dense fog? That's the most assinine thing I've read today...

Bill Robertson
12-29-2012, 05:46 AM
Sold...

Yep! We actually had to shovel snow yesterday. Something we did not do after the Christmas day storm everyone talked about for two weeks. Weather is a very fickle thing.

Jim Kyle
12-29-2012, 06:55 AM
GOOD! People have to learn to slow down somehow in bad weather. Besides, all the delay in your schedule from an accident and having to leave your car with the weather real cold isn't worth the risk of driving near the speed limit under such conditions.So what do you do when the highway has a posted minimum speed of 40 MPH and, due to black ice, the maximum safe speed is around 0 MPH? In freeway traffic, regardless of weather conditions, the only "safe" speed is to move with the prevailing traffic flow.

I would agree with a hefty fine for the original semi driver who jackknifed on the bridge and became the proximate cause of the whole mess. As for the rest, the only reasonable charge would be DIO (Driving In Oklahoma) during bad weather...

OKCisOK4me
12-29-2012, 08:42 AM
Um, they do: Authorities: Smoke from marsh fires, fog to blame for 79-car pileup near Port Arthur | khou.com Houston (http://www.khou.com/news/local/Deputies-20--to-30-car-pileup-in-Port-Arthur-due-to-smoke-haze-136728798.html)

Yeah, but it wasn't a citation for all 79 drivers.

jn1780
12-29-2012, 09:50 AM
Citations are more useful before the crash. Lol A $250 ticket doesn't sound that bad compared to your car being totaled and having to pay medical bills. But its easier for the OHP to catch someone when their going 0 miles per hour. :)

OKCisOK4me
12-29-2012, 10:32 AM
Actually, I could be misreading that. I'm not sure how many vehicles were involved in the 22 crashes. If it is the full 79 then I would assume they determined which cars were responsible for those separate crashes. For example, if someone stopped before, a crash ahead and 3 vehicles slide into it subsequently it isn't likely they would cite car 1, but they could 2-4.

I've been to several hundred crashes as a firefighter/EMT. It is pretty rare for citations not to be issued, regardless of the reason for the crash -- especially if it involved private property (off the ROW) or another vehicle. Insurance companies I'd assume use those citations and the accident report/drawing to decide whose insurance to collect from. :)

And of course I could have read the article about the 21 car pile up wrong. It seemed to me that the OHP issued citations to all 21 vehicles involved. Kinda hard to miss a pile up of cars on a bridge. Where ya gonna slide to on ice??? Extra question marks for OHP, not you Sid ;-)

venture
12-29-2012, 10:47 AM
So what do you do when the highway has a posted minimum speed of 40 MPH and, due to black ice, the maximum safe speed is around 0 MPH? In freeway traffic, regardless of weather conditions, the only "safe" speed is to move with the prevailing traffic flow.

I would agree with a hefty fine for the original semi driver who jackknifed on the bridge and became the proximate cause of the whole mess. As for the rest, the only reasonable charge would be DIO (Driving In Oklahoma) during bad weather...

I thought it was fairly common sense that posted speeds are only during ideal driving conditions. So whatever is posted as a min or max does not apply during inclement weather. Typically most people adhere to this and the right lane or cleared lane during winter weather is usually traveling at a reasonable speed...normally around 35-45 mph depending on how bad things are. You will always have the dumbass in the pick up or SUV barrel by in the snow packed lane at 60 mph because 4 wheel drive makes them invincible. Then a mile down the road you see their front end smashed as they are kissing the median.

I have to save I agree with the fines. I drive fairly defensively. I'm not going to ride someone's tail, especially in less than ideal conditions. If other people want to do that, that is on them. When they rear end people they are the ones at fault for opening themselves up for getting a ticket and being liable for any damages/injuries.

If someone isn't comfortable with the road conditions and they feel like they must speed up with the flow of traffic, then I would hope they do the smart thing and get off the road.

I would say a lot of this is just due to people here not growing up and learning how to properly drive in various conditions, but it really isn't much different during severe weather. Pouring down rain and zero visibility, and idiots will still try to do the speed limit. Even in near zero visibility foggy conditions people will just speed right along driving with the force to protect them from the vehicle stopped in front of them that they can't see.

In the end...I say fine away. It is their own stupid fault.

venture
12-29-2012, 10:48 AM
And of course I could have read the article about the 21 car pile up wrong. It seemed to me that the OHP issued citations to all 21 vehicles involved. Kinda hard to miss a pile up of cars on a bridge. Where ya gonna slide to on ice??? Extra question marks for OHP, not you Sid ;-)

If you are paying attention to what is in front, unless you are right there at the initial impact, you should have plenty of control of your vehicle to stop. If you were following too close or going to fast to assure you can stop, you are at fault and its time to pay up.

Plutonic Panda
12-29-2012, 12:44 PM
Sunny Saturday, but wet weather could return Sunday night | NewsOK.com (http://newsok.com/sunny-saturday-but-wet-weather-could-return-sunday-night/article/3741681)

Jim Kyle
12-29-2012, 12:52 PM
If you are paying attention to what is in front, unless you are right there at the initial impact, you should have plenty of control of your vehicle to stop. If you were following too close or going to fast to assure you can stop, you are at fault and its time to pay up.You can be stopped dead with several feet separating your vehicle from the one in front of you, and someone can smash into your rear with enough force to put you into the car in front. Does that warrant a ticket for you? That exact thing happened to my wife several years ago on NW 122 near St. Andrews Drive; OCPD didn't ticket all four drivers involved, just the one at the back who caused all the commotion.

I'm not saying that's what happened here, but ticketing all drivers certainly sounds like overkill in this case. Of course, on black ice any speed at all is arguably "too fast for conditions" so it's probably legally correct. Having once slid more than two blocks downhill from NW 10 and Council, after carefully starting up from the stoplight but losing traction immediately, my sympathies are with the people near the back of the mess who had no way to control things...

OKCisOK4me
12-29-2012, 02:41 PM
If you are paying attention to what is in front, unless you are right there at the initial impact, you should have plenty of control of your vehicle to stop. If you were following too close or going to fast to assure you can stop, you are at fault and its time to pay up.

Did I imply that? No. Trust me, Im as defensive as they come...especially having just purchased a new car, lol. Don't take it out of context.

Jon27
12-29-2012, 02:56 PM
Can we set up a separate thread to talk about the accident, and debate the driver's getting the tickets? I like reading this thread for Venture's forecast, and other's insight on it. The accident should be discussed in another thread.

OKCisOK4me
12-29-2012, 03:02 PM
Can we set up a separate thread to talk about the accident, and debate the driver's getting the tickets? I like reading this thread for Venture's forecast, and other's insight on it. The accident should be discussed in another thread.

Sorry Chris, I suffer from the same issue...clicking a new post and reading nothing that has to do with the subject. Back to topic...

I do hope Monday morning weather isn't crappy. I gotta work :-(

Plutonic Panda
12-29-2012, 03:43 PM
Can we set up a separate thread to talk about the accident, and debate the driver's getting the tickets? I like reading this thread for Venture's forecast, and other's insight on it. The accident should be discussed in another thread.I'm sorry I started all this. lol I didn't really know whether or not I should've started a new thread when this was kinda related to weather or what. But I certainly didn't mean to start a full page of it. My bad.

venture
12-29-2012, 05:16 PM
Rainageddon looks on track for later tomorrow through Monday. ;)

Looks like most of the state will see close to a half inch of rain...yes a full half inch of rain. I'll pause while you all recover from the shock.

So here is the play by play for every 3-6 hours based on GFS and NAM 18Z runs. Side by side comparison and all too. How is that for service? I'm in a good mood though, Storage Wars Texas marathon about to start. ;)

Forecast is for OKC Metro area based on upper air sounding from Norman.

Main thing with this to keep in mind is that we are going to be 2-4 degrees at the surface away from an ice storm. The upper air temps look like they'll be 3-5 degrees warmer than the surface temps so the chance to get any snow is going to be next to zero with the way it looks. So the key to watch will be surface temps...if they come in lower than expected, we might be in trouble. I hate cold rain, but I'll take it over an ice storm if the upper temps aren't in line to just give us solid snow.

TimeGFSNAM03Z MonDry - Low 30sDry - Mid 30s06Z MonIso. Lt Rain - Low 30sIso. Drizzle/Flurries - Low 30s09Z MonLt Rain - Low 30sLt Rain - Low 30s12Z MonRain - Low 30s Lt Rain/Sleet - Low 30s15Z MonRain - Low 30sRain - Mid 30s18Z MonLt Rain - Mid 30sLt Rain - Mid 30s00Z TueDrizzle - Mid 30sDrizzle/Lt Rain - Mid 30s03Z TueN/ADrizzle/Lt Rain - Low 30s06Z TueDry - Low 30sDry - Low 30s

Easy180
12-30-2012, 09:58 AM
Most of the hourly charts show OKC staying just above freezing until 2AM Tuesday morning...Plans to go out on NYE are tentative right now unless the weather folks can say zero chance of snow or ice through 1AM

Plan to take a cab home but a combo of slick roads and drunk drivers isn't very appealing

SoonerQueen
12-31-2012, 10:27 PM

These are just some interesting weather facts from 2012.

Praedura
01-01-2013, 12:41 PM
Some of you may have seen this, but for those who haven't, it's rather cute.

Zach Nash from City Hall originally posted a pic to the MBG facebook page:

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/301812_583117678371409_153215358_n.jpg

Then he had fun with it and posted another version with the caption "What a difference 6 hours can make":

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/382856_583306151685895_709355477_n.jpg

RadicalModerate
01-01-2013, 01:55 PM
Excellent.
(isn't the proper spelling "Rainaggedon"? =)
(sub.ref. Post #403, above =)

Thanks Again and a VERY Happy New Year to All (especially Venture because he controls the weather)

boscorama
01-01-2013, 07:02 PM
Bye bye, 2012.

venture
01-01-2013, 08:51 PM
For those that haven't noticed, we have moved to the Jan '13 thread now. :)

http://www.okctalk.com/current-events-open-topic/32981-oklahoma-weather-discussion-january-2013-a.html