View Full Version : Disney Buys Lucasfilm, Star Wars Ep VII Coming 2015

venture
10-30-2012, 02:37 PM
Huge news as Disney acquires another major franchise to go with the purchases of Pixar and Marvel.

Breaking: Disney to Acquire Lucasfilm, Star Wars Episode 7 Coming in 2015! - ComingSoon.net (http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=96524&utm_campaign=facebookfan&utm_source=facebookfan&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=web_app)

Under the deal, Disney will acquire ownership of Lucasfilm, a leader in entertainment, innovation and technology, including its massively popular and "evergreen" Star Wars franchise and its operating businesses in live action film production, consumer products, animation, visual effects, and audio post production. Disney will also acquire the substantial portfolio of cutting-edge entertainment technologies that have kept audiences enthralled for many years. Lucasfilm, headquartered in San Francisco, operates under the names Lucasfilm Ltd., LucasArts, Industrial Light & Magic, and Skywalker Sound, and the present intent is for Lucasfilm employees to remain in their current locations.

jn1780
10-30-2012, 03:07 PM
Thought Phantom Menace and Jar Jar Binks were bad? Just wait until Disney gets their hands on Starwars.

Edit: But kids love it, so Im sure it will make Disney big money.

venture
10-30-2012, 03:11 PM
Thought Phantom Menace and Jar Jar Binks were bad? Just wait until Disney gets their hands on Starwars.

I'm actually thinking it will be good for the franchise. Considering what Disney has done with Iron Man, The Avengers, Pirates, and National Treasure. They can do an action movie and keep too much of the childish stuff out.

HewenttoJared
10-30-2012, 03:18 PM
They can't be any worse than I-III. I'm excited. Anyone else a fan of the post-episode 6 books? The Thrawn series would make an excellent set of movies! A Vong movie series would be a bit dark.

OKCisOK4me
10-30-2012, 03:34 PM
I read one Star Wars book where Leia and Han have twins (whatdya know) and Luke goes to some planet where they're manufacturing soldiers (IIRC) and has to fight his way out, but he's a master jedi by this time so...

Glad to know that Disney is going to continue the franchise. As far as Lucas was concerned, he was going to leave it as is.

mcca7596
10-30-2012, 03:44 PM

The originals were pretty corny too, when you look at it objectively.

ShiroiHikari
10-30-2012, 03:59 PM
On the light side: Maybe Disney will do a decent release of the original theatrical cut of the original trilogy.

On the dark side: We really don't need any more Star Wars movies.

kevinpate
10-30-2012, 04:59 PM
star wars, twilight, star wars, twilight, star wars, twilight, star wars, twilight, ... fergitaboudit! Just give me more Broadwalk Empire, True Blood and someone for the love of all that is interesting oddity, please, please go back and finish up Carnavale'

OKCisOK4me
10-30-2012, 05:36 PM
The originals were pretty corny too, when you look at it objectively.

No doubt, especially with the advances in special effects, you go from Episodes 1-3 with sweet gleaming technological flying pods to Episodes 4-6 with clunkers that look like they've been subjected to years of decay (not to mention if you watch closely, even on the blurays, you can still see the outlines around the models in the space fighting scenes) and now we'll be going to even better special effects in Episodes 7-9 which means everything worked out real swell for the galaxy. It's like owning a crappy car in the middle of your life, lol.

windowphobe
10-30-2012, 05:42 PM
Best tweet resulting from the announcement: "Hans Christian Andersen shot first." (via @meadabawdy)

HewenttoJared
11-01-2012, 09:21 PM
http://media-cache-ec6.pinterest.com/upload/458311699548763664_iPpARNPS.jpg

bchris02
11-02-2012, 08:47 PM
No doubt, especially with the advances in special effects, you go from Episodes 1-3 with sweet gleaming technological flying pods to Episodes 4-6 with clunkers that look like they've been subjected to years of decay (not to mention if you watch closely, even on the blurays, you can still see the outlines around the models in the space fighting scenes) and now we'll be going to even better special effects in Episodes 7-9 which means everything worked out real swell for the galaxy. It's like owning a crappy car in the middle of your life, lol.

Every Star Wars fan should write Disney suggesting not to overdo it on the special effects. They are needed but it doesn't need to be shiny and glitzly like Ep I-III were. Not sure it will do any good but it couldn't hurt. I will say it can't be much worse than Episodes I and II. If the Marvel series is any indication, these next three Star Wars movies will be far better than the prequels.

HewenttoJared
11-02-2012, 09:38 PM
The plot statements aren't really encouraging. They aren't following any of the book story archs. Lame.

kevinpate
11-03-2012, 06:16 AM
http://media-cache-ec6.pinterest.com/upload/458311699548763664_iPpARNPS.jpg

Still laughing at this! Well played.

HewenttoJared
11-05-2012, 02:23 PM
Hopefully Whedon or Abrams

Force is strong with dream `Star Wars' directors | Entertainment | The Seattle Times (http://seattletimes.com/html/entertainment/2019610885_apusdisneylucasfilmdirectors.html)

Or Darabont. ;)

OKCisOK4me
11-05-2012, 05:58 PM
Still laughing at this! Well played.

Apparently I'm more of a trekkie than a Star Wars fan. What did I miss? Who is Andy?

Martin
11-05-2012, 06:30 PM
Who is Andy?

it's a toy story reference. -M

http://images2.fanpop.com/image/answers/691000/691762_1277335473881.57res_500_275.jpg

ShiroiHikari
11-05-2012, 07:58 PM
Ugh, no, I don't want Abrams doing Star Wars. I've never understood what the big deal is about that guy. His Star Trek movie sucked. Of course, that's just my opinion; take it or leave it.

Whedon might be able to do a good job with it. I think his sense of humor would suit Star Wars well.

Hawk405359
11-05-2012, 08:46 PM
The deal was for $4 billion, and he donated it all to charity. Sure, it's not like he needs the money, but that's still really impressive to me.

venture
11-09-2012, 12:31 AM
Toy Story 3's Michael Arndt to Draft Star Wars: Episode VII? - ComingSoon.net (http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=96840&utm_campaign=facebookfan&utm_source=facebookfan&utm_medium=referral)

The site is also reporting the rumor that Arndt's treatment includes the characters of Luke Skywalker, Princess Leia and Han Solo and, in light of recent news (http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=96758), it's very likely that Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher and Harrison Ford will return to their respective roles.

I would imagine this is going to be a one time thing in Episode 7 before they pass the torch on.

MonkeesFan
11-09-2012, 04:34 AM
Dumb!!! ENOUGH Starwars!!!!

BrettM2
11-09-2012, 05:49 AM

Then don't buy a ticket to watch it... There are plenty of other people who will be excited about it.

kevinpate
11-09-2012, 06:16 AM

These are not the movies you are looking for.

HewenttoJared
11-09-2012, 06:37 AM
Toy Story 3's Michael Arndt to Draft Star Wars: Episode VII? - ComingSoon.net (http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=96840&utm_campaign=facebookfan&utm_source=facebookfan&utm_medium=referral)

I would imagine this is going to be a one time thing in Episode 7 before they pass the torch on.

There can't be a fat Master Skywalker. :(

BBatesokc
11-09-2012, 07:18 AM
We could be up to Star Wars XXII and I'd still be in line to buy a ticket. I haven't liked them all, but I've seen them and will continue to do so. Sort of like the Batman and 007 movies - there have been some really bad ones, but the good ones make up for it.

venture
11-09-2012, 08:27 AM
We could be up to Star Wars XXII and I'd still be in line to buy a ticket. I haven't liked them all, but I've seen them and will continue to do so. Sort of like the Batman and 007 movies - there have been some really bad ones, but the good ones make up for it.

Yup same for me. I'll be there opening day to watch. I'm really hoping we see some throw back to the old sith empire or at least something getting away form the "rule of 2". Just something about seeing more bad guys than just one here and there.

Now the one thing I know everyone is going to cringe about, are we going to see the force ghost of Anakin by Hayden in this. With computer technology I guess they don't have to go down that road if they can get a good voice actor, but you know that is going to be out there.

MonkeesFan
11-09-2012, 03:08 PM
Then don't buy a ticket to watch it... There are plenty of other people who will be excited about it.

I am not going to but they might be excited about it only to see that the new star wars might be crap

jn1780
11-09-2012, 06:02 PM
There can't be a fat Master Skywalker. :(

Yeah, amazing how a smuggler(Ford) is in better shape than a Jedi Master. Lol

venture
11-09-2012, 06:28 PM
Geek alert, fyi. LOL

Just another random thought, I do wonder how much respect they are going to give to canon lore already established. Of course my interest is pretty well rooted in the Sith side of the storyline. Once Vader and Sidious are gone, that end of the Darth Bane line of Sith and the classic "Rule of Two". Then you have two factions...Lumiya's Sith and then the One Sith by Darth Krayt. The Lumiya story line has a lot of interesting twists to it, especially when it comes to the Solo family. However, the Krayt story line seems to take us back to an Old Republic like setting with one Dark Lord of the Sith ruling over many lessor Sith Lords.

One Sith - Wookieepedia, the Star Wars Wiki (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/One_Sith)
Lumiya's Sith - Wookieepedia, the Star Wars Wiki (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lumiya%27s_Sith)

Will be interesting at least to see the old characters again and for them to actually reference a lot of what happened. It was a bit clunky going EP 4-6 to 1-3. The one thing that sticks out is Obi-Wan calling Vader "Darth" in Ep 4, when that is merely a title.

HewenttoJared
11-10-2012, 06:48 AM
I really doubt they'll have Caedus in there, but maybe some other apprentice of hers.