View Full Version : Penn Square Theater purchased by AMC

Pages : [1] 2

OKCTalker
10-24-2012, 11:42 PM
Dickinson management is notifying corporate discount ticket holders that they are closing after this Sunday, and to use any tickets or coupons by then.

Wow! Right before the holidays when there are lots of shoppers and Christmas releases. Wonder what will become of the space.

Pete
10-25-2012, 07:55 AM
Interesting.

And I agree, very strange timing.

Roadhawg
10-25-2012, 08:09 AM
wow... that is strange

betts
10-25-2012, 08:40 AM
I'm not surprised. Back in the day when I lived near there we used to go to movies there because it was never crowded, even on opening day of really popular movies. I always wondered how they could afford to stay open. It's a shame, because you never had to worry about a movie being sold out.

GaryOKC6
10-25-2012, 09:55 AM
I'm not surprised. Back in the day when I lived near there we used to go to movies there because it was never crowded, even on opening day of really popular movies. I always wondered how they could afford to stay open. It's a shame, because you never had to worry about a movie being sold out.

I am not suprised. It was kind of a crummy theater compared to the others in OKC. Seats were small and boxey. the screens were small. The plus was it was a great place to park the kids while you shopped.

jbkrems
10-25-2012, 11:42 AM
I wonder what Penn Square Mall intends to do with that space of the mall. That is a lot of square footage they are going to have lease out, either to a new movie theater, or they will have to gut the whole deal into stores.

betts
10-25-2012, 12:48 PM
I wonder what Penn Square Mall intends to do with that space of the mall. That is a lot of square footage they are going to have lease out, either to a new movie theater, or they will have to gut the whole deal into stores.

If there as many stores on the waiting list at Penn Square as we've been told, I doubt Penn Square minds having that much space to deal with.

GaryOKC6
10-25-2012, 02:39 PM
If there as many stores on the waiting list at Penn Square as we've been told, I doubt Penn Square minds having that much space to deal with.

Microsoft is suposed to be putting in a "real" store. They pulled a huge building permit. Possible they can take the space.

Tydude
10-25-2012, 03:28 PM
i am hearing rumors that AMC is going to take over the space and put a new movie theatre in the space

poe
10-25-2012, 03:38 PM
My vote would be for new stores.

HangryHippo
10-26-2012, 10:30 AM
i am hearing rumors that AMC is going to take over the space and put a new movie theatre in the space

AMC would be a nice upgrade from Dickinson, but I find it hard to believe that Penn Square would let AMC in the theatre space in lieu of cutting their waiting list of stores...

MonkeesFan
10-26-2012, 01:16 PM
AMC would be a nice upgrade from Dickinson, but I find it hard to believe that Penn Square would let AMC in the theatre space in lieu of cutting their waiting list of stores...

I agree but I will see it when I believe it

zookeeper
10-26-2012, 01:22 PM
Brianna Bailey is reporting in the Journal Record that AMC has signed a lease to takeover the theater in November and then do a complete remodel that sounds like a huge renovation after the holidays. AMC to take over Penn Square Mall cineplex | The Journal Record (http://journalrecord.com/2012/10/26/amc-to-take-over-penn-square-mall-cineplex/)

Pete
10-26-2012, 01:30 PM
Great news for Penn Square.

That theater needs a big makeover and this sounds like it will be one of the nicer cinemas in town after the remodel.

zookeeper
10-26-2012, 01:38 PM
This is no big deal but Brianna might want to fix her opening sentence which says AMC is based in Atlanta, AMC HQ has always been in Kansas City.

I agree that this sounds like a great deal for Penn Square and AMC.

jedicurt
10-26-2012, 02:02 PM
This is no big deal but Brianna might want to fix her opening sentence which says AMC is based in Atlanta, AMC HQ has always been in Kansas City.

and they are building new offices in Leawood, KS that they are supposed to move into sometime next year

zookeeper
10-26-2012, 02:32 PM
and they are building new offices in Leawood, KS that they are supposed to move into sometime next year

Leawood is a very wealthy suburb of Kansas City in Johnson County, I imagine those offices will be pretty nice!

MonkeesFan
10-26-2012, 02:49 PM
Great news for Penn Square.

That theater needs a big makeover and this sounds like it will be one of the nicer cinemas in town after the remodel.

That is indeed great news for Penn Square

HangryHippo
10-26-2012, 02:53 PM
Would someone with a subscription be willing to post the article here so that we can read it?

Nevermind: Found this article that describes the plan pretty well. AMC Theatres Headed to Penn Square Mall Beginning Nov. 9; Enhancements on the Way - DailyFinance (http://www.dailyfinance.com/2012/10/26/amc-theatres-headed-to-penn-square-mall-beginning-/)

Sounds like a nice win for Penn Square Mall. I'm really glad Simon is in control Penn Square. They seem to be a great company.

OKCTalker
10-26-2012, 03:25 PM
We prefer going to Tinseltown for movies even though PSM is closer. The ticket prices were a bit lower and it's a quick drive over/back. To a far lesser extent, our perception is that crime is more of a problem at PSM than Tinseltown.

Perhaps AMC can improve things, but we're pretty driven by ticket prices. When the lights go down and the movie starts, it doesn't matter how much they spent on TI.

jn1780
10-26-2012, 06:29 PM
We prefer going to Tinseltown for movies even though PSM is closer. The ticket prices were a bit lower and it's a quick drive over/back. To a far lesser extent, our perception is that crime is more of a problem at PSM than Tinseltown.

Perhaps AMC can improve things, but we're pretty driven by ticket prices. When the lights go down and the movie starts, it doesn't matter how much they spent on TI.

I see more Tinseltown in your future. AMC is probably going the luxury theater route and will actually raise prices.

I wonder if they will maintain 10 auditoriums? I wouldn't be surprised if they sacrificed 1 or 2 in order to make a bigger grand auditorium.

Ginkasa
10-27-2012, 12:48 AM
How big are their current auditoriums? If they've already got at least a few that are decent sized, it might not be worth the expense - especially if they're going the luxury root with higher prices for fewer seats. Either way, I doubt their auditoriums have the depth for something like Grand Auditoriums at Warren or the Ciné Capri at Harkins (if that's what you were trying to suggest).

ShiroiHikari
10-27-2012, 01:25 PM
I've only been to this theatre once. Maybe it's just me, but once I bought the ticket and stepped inside, it was like I'd stepped into a 1990s time warp. Also the hallways outside the auditoriums were really dark. When was the last time this place had a remodel? Guess it doesn't matter now since AMC is stepping in.

SoonerQueen
10-27-2012, 01:50 PM
When I go to my movie previews they are usually held at either the Harkin's or the AMC at Quail Springs.I hate going to the QSM24 because the refreshments cost so much. The Harkin's have refillable cups which saves money and their refreshments cost less. When we pay for a movie we usually pick Tinseltown. I like the close to the building parking, and the popcorn is the best in town. Plus the prices are less for admission. Tinseltown is one of the best kept secrets in OKC.

duckman
10-28-2012, 04:20 PM
I only go to Tinseltown when I have my bullet proof vest on.

SoonerQueen
10-29-2012, 01:39 AM

We go there all the time and have never seen any violence.I feel perfectly safe going to the movies there. Violence can happen anywhere. You just have to be aware of what's going on around you.

kevinpate
10-29-2012, 07:14 AM

I suspect if one delved into the details, crime reports over the past decade would suggest a much lower need for a vest at Tinseltown than some other area theaters, such as the ones at/near Penn Square Mall, Bricktown or Crossroads.

jbrown84
10-29-2012, 03:50 PM
I would have preferred they cut it up into a couple new stores, but this is a pretty good alternative.

sooner88
10-29-2012, 07:41 PM
Dickinson has been at the bottom of the list for awhile now since there are so many options, but not knowing that it was closing, we went to see Argo on Sunday mainly because of timing. The thing that struck me most was the price. For 2 students it was $18, which puts it on par or above every other theatre in the City (and Warren). The quality of the theatre was almost laughable, I'm glad to see that something new is coming in.

Tydude
11-22-2012, 08:53 AM
AMC Penn Square is open and will remain open through out the renovations

BDP
11-26-2012, 01:17 PM
Who ran the theaters before Dickinson? I feel like AMC opened the theater after the last major renovation, but that was when I was like 12, so I could easily be wrong. Or was it General Cinemas?....

Pete
11-26-2012, 01:34 PM
General Cinemas was the operator when the theater first opened in May of 1988.

OKCTalker
11-26-2012, 02:01 PM
Tickets prices at the AMC Penn Square are $9.75 for adults, $8.75 for seniors and $6.50 for children.

May I be the first to say HOLY COW!?

HangryHippo
11-26-2012, 03:53 PM
Tickets prices at the AMC Penn Square are $9.75 for adults, $8.75 for seniors and $6.50 for children.

Those are higher than the AMC theatre at Quail Springs, which I believe are ONLY $9.50, but there is matinee pricing. Something along the lines of $7.00 per adult if the movie starts before 6 pm.

jn1780
11-26-2012, 09:53 PM

What did Dickinson charge? You would think AMC would have waited until the their improvements were actually completed.

Pete
11-26-2012, 10:02 PM
Hey, that's cheap by California standards! I typically pay $12-$15 and there is a new luxury theater near me that charges $20 or more.

But I agree, why raise prices before they do the renovations?

MikeLucky
11-27-2012, 08:20 AM
Would someone with a subscription be willing to post the article here so that we can read it?

Nevermind: Found this article that describes the plan pretty well. AMC Theatres Headed to Penn Square Mall Beginning Nov. 9; Enhancements on the Way - DailyFinance (http://www.dailyfinance.com/2012/10/26/amc-theatres-headed-to-penn-square-mall-beginning-/)

Sounds like a nice win for Penn Square Mall. I'm really glad Simon is in control Penn Square. They seem to be a great company.

I don't have access to the JR article, but the dailyfinance article mentions NOTHING about sound or video enhancements... Personally, the seats and concession upgrades are nice, but unless the sound and video is done right, even a personal butler for each moviegoer doesn't appeal to me that much.

But honestly, there's nothing they can do that would make me go there as opposed the Warren. The fact that they DON'T mention any of the actual video and sound details tells me they will probably mail it in on that... but who knows.

sooner88
11-27-2012, 08:46 AM
Those prices look very similar (if not the same) from Dickinson, which I agree is too high when you compare it to other local theaters.

HangryHippo
11-27-2012, 11:56 AM
I don't have access to the JR article, but the dailyfinance article mentions NOTHING about sound or video enhancements... Personally, the seats and concession upgrades are nice, but unless the sound and video is done right, even a personal butler for each moviegoer doesn't appeal to me that much.

But honestly, there's nothing they can do that would make me go there as opposed the Warren. The fact that they DON'T mention any of the actual video and sound details tells me they will probably mail it in on that... but who knows.

I hadn't thought about this, but you're absolutely right. I've seen no mention of improving the audio/visual experiences. I took my little cousins to see a movie there recently and the sound and video were pretty damn bad. Definitely hope to see some upgrades, but it's worrisome that there's been no mention of such things.

jn1780
11-27-2012, 04:56 PM
I really doubt they would install powered recliners, but not improve the audio/visual equipment. Probably just on par with the other AMC theaters and nothing special or noteworthy.

OKCisOK4me
11-27-2012, 05:26 PM
So the theater closed on 10/28 as Dickinson and is now owned and operated by AMC....?

Pete
11-27-2012, 05:29 PM
So the theater closed on 10/28 as Dickinson and is now owned and operated by AMC....?

Yes:

AMC Penn Square 10 - Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 73118 - AMC Theatres (http://www.amctheatres.com/movie-theatres/amc-penn-square-10)

OKCisOK4me
11-27-2012, 05:39 PM
Well, that's good. I've never been a fan of the General Cinemas when they were the operator and I never went to Dickinson as I despise going to malls unless I absolutely have to. Hope AMC does well in the spot.

MikeLucky
11-28-2012, 08:03 AM
I really doubt they would install powered recliners, but not improve the audio/visual equipment. Probably just on par with the other AMC theaters and nothing special or noteworthy.

You would be surprised... Most consumers are way more concerned with concession prices and the creature comforts than they ever are in the actual quality of A/V equipment. Many new theaters will routinely buy used equipment for brand new theaters. And, since this particular theater already has equipment, I wouldn't be surprised if they just used all the existing items.

Honestly, most people may not even notice a difference, or care one way or another. I am on the other end of the spectrum. I would rather sit in a normal seat and experience a sound and visual experience that is top notch. I mean, what is the point of going to watch a movie at a theater if it isn't a spectacular audio-visual experience? Just my opinion.

OKCTalker
11-28-2012, 09:33 AM
Tickets are less expensive at the OKCMOA ($8 for adults, $5 for members), and the experience is far superior to a conventional theater. Not to mention the downstairs option of having dinner and a cocktail before or after.

Pete
11-28-2012, 12:14 PM
$1.6 million building permit issued today for this remodel.

MikeLucky
11-28-2012, 12:22 PM
$1.6 million building permit issued today for this remodel.

Well, unless they plan on spending about half of that on digital projectors ALONE... it appears this would be a purely cosmetic remodel.

Pete
11-28-2012, 12:32 PM
Remember that building permits don't include furniture, fixtures or equipment.

MikeLucky
11-28-2012, 12:57 PM
Remember that building permits don't include furniture, fixtures or equipment.

Oh, well nevermind then. lol. New equipment status still to be determined...

adelewolf
12-01-2012, 03:37 PM
It said on their sign in the mall that they were closed for remodeling and they've already opened back up. I haven't been back since then, but just walking by, it doesn't look like a whole lot has changed.

bigokc
12-01-2012, 07:53 PM
Oh, well nevermind then. lol. New equipment status still to be determined...

After speaking to one of the managers on my visit this weekend, they updated me on the timeline of the renovation and the improvements that would be made. They DEFINITELY are upgrading all 35mm projectors to all digital video and sound (starting this month). At the start of the year they will begin renovations on each theater (while remaining open during this time) installing all recliners into every theater, adding free-style coke machines that are self-serve, repainting, and new carpet installation. Very much looking forward to this new addition to Penn Square!

Rick

MikeLucky
12-03-2012, 07:40 AM
After speaking to one of the managers on my visit this weekend, they updated me on the timeline of the renovation and the improvements that would be made. They DEFINITELY are upgrading all 35mm projectors to all digital video and sound (starting this month). At the start of the year they will begin renovations on each theater (while remaining open during this time) installing all recliners into every theater, adding free-style coke machines that are self-serve, repainting, and new carpet installation. Very much looking forward to this new addition to Penn Square!

Rick

That's great news...

catch22
12-03-2012, 09:48 AM

Rick

About time a movie theater does that. I hate paying $4.00 for a 32oz cup of ice with 5oz of diet coke in it -- and not getting a free refill.

When I worked at one of the popular Australian themed steakhouses, I was told by a manager that the total cost to fill a 20oz glass with soda and a little bit of ice was $0.01. Iced tea was $0.005 per glass.

MikeLucky
12-03-2012, 11:50 AM
About time a movie theater does that. I hate paying $4.00 for a 32oz cup of ice with 5oz of diet coke in it -- and not getting a free refill.

When I worked at one of the popular Australian themed steakhouses, I was told by a manager that the total cost to fill a 20oz glass with soda and a little bit of ice was $0.01. Iced tea was $0.005 per glass.

Boomerang Bistro?
Kangaroo Kafe?
Deli Down Unda?

Gosh, what could it be?!?!

;)

catch22
12-03-2012, 05:03 PM
Boomerang Bistro?
Kangaroo Kafe?
Deli Down Unda?

Gosh, what could it be?!?!

;)

Remember I am part Australian, so I could be referring to a place "dawn unduh".

zookeeper
02-04-2013, 06:30 PM
I feel special. :) I was at Penn Square today and got a mini tour of the new theater construction. The guy said he really wasn't supposed to do it but he'd show me a few things and OKCtalk folks, this place is going to be fabulous! What's been said a couple of posts up is all true, but the scope of it I didn't realize. Renovation isn't even the right word to use, we won't recognize it when they're through.

OKCTalker
02-06-2013, 10:58 AM
Too bad that they raised prices so far so quickly, and while construction was just beginning. Were it me, I would have dropped prices as an apologetic gesture, shown everyone what was coming, had a huge grand opening, and then raised prices. What they've done is driven customers to their competitors which will do everything they can to keep them.

Anonymous.
02-08-2013, 07:56 AM
AMC is definitely overpriced... 9 dollars for a ticket then snacks on top pushes towards 20 dollars for a movie trip.

I almost exclusively watch new releases @ Tinseltown now. It is way more reasonable and the experience is just the same (if not better seating). Plus you don't have to walk through the mall to get to the movies, which is a huge turnofff when going to Quail Springs at least.

HangryHippo
04-25-2013, 02:28 PM
Has anyone been since the renovations kicked into high gear? Is it a good improvement?

MonkeesFan
04-28-2013, 06:17 AM
I feel special. :) I was at Penn Square today and got a mini tour of the new theater construction. The guy said he really wasn't supposed to do it but he'd show me a few things and OKCtalk folks, this place is going to be fabulous! What's been said a couple of posts up is all true, but the scope of it I didn't realize. Renovation isn't even the right word to use, we won't recognize it when they're through.

Sounds great!