View Full Version : Garage sale signs

seajohn
10-17-2012, 02:21 PM
It's been a long time since we had a garage sale. I went to get permit for one last week, and the information sheet we got says in HUGE letters that you may only have one sign, and it can only be posted at the location of the sale. Other signs are illegal.

When did this happen? Most of the traffic for garage sales comes from people driving by on a main street and seeing a sign, not from looking at the Transcripts classified section. It makes it questionable as to whether it's even worth the effort to put a sale together. I understand that a lot of people don't pick up their garage sale signs after the sale, but there are better ways to deal with it other than shutting down signs totally.

Seems to be obvious that the Transcript has its fingers in the pockets of the city council. Next time some bozo comes knocking on my door asking for my vote for them for city council, guess what question I'm going to ask them?

BBatesokc
10-17-2012, 02:58 PM
I remember reading that and we haven't had a garage sale in years. Saying it and enforcing it are two different things. Put one in your yard and one at the end of the street and the worst that will happen is the crabby neighbor at the end of your street will pull it up and throw it away.

You're also suppose to report all the money you make during the garage sale and pay the taxes on it. I'd love to know the compliance rate on that.

dankrutka
10-17-2012, 08:48 PM
I remember reading that and we haven't had a garage sale in years. Saying it and enforcing it are two different things. Put one in your yard and one at the end of the street and the worst that will happen is the crabby neighbor at the end of your street will pull it up and throw it away.

You're also suppose to report all the money you make during the garage sale and pay the taxes on it. I'd love to know the compliance rate on that.

This. Fort Worth has the same rules and I helped with a garage sale down there this summer and we just put up a bunch of signs. I took them down at the end, and nothing ever happened.

stick47
10-18-2012, 05:58 AM
This can only water down the peoples respect for other ordinances IMO.
City officials & legislators who can't perform their real duties are the ones who perpetuate this climate of stupid laws. Weed 'em out!