Restaurants

Current

no

Address: 1212 N Walker
Phone: (405) 525-9235
Hours: Tue-Sun 7 am - 2 pm
Development: Twelve Twelve
Links:
Official Website (http://www.wafflechampion.com/)
Facebook Page (https://www.facebook.com/wafflechampion?fref=ts)
Yelp (http://www.yelp.com/biz/waffle-champion-oklahoma-city-2)
Urban Spoon (http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/46/1627388/restaurant/Midtown/Waffle-Champion-Oklahoma-City)

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/wcwiki1.jpg

Information & Latest News
Gallery

MDot
09-28-2011, 08:59 PM
There will be a waffle truck on the streets of OKC soon!

Hallelujah!

BBatesokc
09-29-2011, 06:29 AM
I'd have to see the menu. It'd have to be pretty creative for me to seek out a waffle truck.

chuck johnson
09-29-2011, 02:46 PM
If it's a legit Belgian waffle, then that's enough to know. They are nothing like the round American kind. It's a completely different type of batter, square, and has deeper pockets. A plain Belgian waffle beats a loaded American one any day. Add nutella and/or powdered sugar and it's even more amazing.

lasomeday
09-29-2011, 03:04 PM
Its a gourmet waffle truck will all kinds of waffles. She has a facebook page.

betts
09-29-2011, 03:12 PM
I wonder if they will sell crepes as well. The mention of nutella brought that to mind. I really like waffles, but I 'm even fonder of crepes.

lasomeday
09-29-2011, 03:21 PM
NO JUST WAFFLES! It is a waffle truck, not a crepe truck!

https://www.facebook.com/#!/wafflechampion

MDot
09-29-2011, 03:28 PM

There you go betts, no crepes. Lol

chuck johnson
09-29-2011, 04:05 PM
It lists poutine too. I can't wait for this truck.

MikeOKC
09-29-2011, 04:09 PM
"Gourmet waffles?"

I'm with Brian, it needs to be really something special to look for this truck.

But, I love to see the entrepreneurship, so good luck to the waffle truck!

Larry OKC
09-29-2011, 04:21 PM
I want REAL waffles, NOT these large squared "belgian" styled ones that nearly every one sells now. Waffle House has the right style but I don't care for their batter.

kevinpate
09-29-2011, 05:08 PM
Dinna see a thang about having wings, but fb shows a menu sportin' spicy cheese curds on fries as being something special.

To each their own I suppose.

chuck johnson
09-29-2011, 05:38 PM
Dinna see a thang about having wings, but fb shows a menu sportin' spicy cheese curds on fries as being something special.

To each their own I suppose.

Poutine is a French Canadian dish that sounds awful in theory but is really good. You can also find it in states that border Canada, but to find it in Oklahoma is extraordinary. It's just french fries, gravy, and cheese curds. The curds taste like sour cream. So imagine potatoes with gravy and sour cream. It's not that crazy from that perspective.

Personally, I think it's a great development. In cities where the food truck have really been successful, their offerings have always been more exciting than the standard fare of tacos and burgers. It's a great opportunity for restaurateurs to test exotic concepts without the fear of failure. The food scene here is very lacking and driven by too many chains. We need to support local talent that is trying to break through.

metro
09-29-2011, 06:19 PM
Poutine is a French Canadian dish that sounds awful in theory but is really good. You can also find it states that border Canada, but to find it in Oklahoma is extraordinary. It's just french fries, gravy, and cheese curds. The curds taste like sour cream. So imagine potatoes with gravy and sour cream. It's not that crazy from that perspective.

Personally, I think it's a great development. In cities where the food truck have really been successful, their offerings have always been more exciting than the standard fare of tacos and burgers. It's a great opportunity for restaurateurs to test exotic concepts without the fear of failure. The food scene here is very lacking and driven by too many chains. We need to support local talent that is trying to break through.

Well said chuck, well said

BBatesokc
09-29-2011, 06:39 PM

Actually, NOT JUST WAFFLES..... if you bother to read the info section "We make sweet and savory waffles, poutine, and more" and their menu - which has a "Not Waffles" section.

BBatesokc
09-29-2011, 06:41 PM
Looked over the menu.... its varied and creative enough that I'd certainly seek it out for a try.

kevinpate
09-29-2011, 06:42 PM
As I noted, to each their own.

If someone wants gravy and curds, spicy or otherwise, on fries, that's up to them. I've known folks who order brown gravy or catsup on a chicken fry. Doesn't mean I'm gonna copy their order though.

SkyWestOKC
09-29-2011, 06:52 PM
Hmm....interesting concept. Will have to give this a try sometime.

RadicalModerate
09-29-2011, 08:23 PM
I think The Giant Food Corporation Conglomerate recently hired some housemovers to figure out a way to put a Waffle House on Wheels. (And IHOP supposedly has similar plans in the works).

Even KFC is jumping on the Bandwagon by adding CHICKEN(!!!???) to Waffles.
As a side dish.

chuck johnson
09-29-2011, 08:27 PM
"If you've never been to a Waffle House, imagine a gas station bathroom that sells waffles." -Jim Gaffigan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qz1cfwFmv1w

SkyWestOKC
09-29-2011, 08:33 PM
I think The Giant Food Corporation Conglomerate recently hired some housemovers to figure out a way to put a Waffle House on Wheels. (And IHOP supposedly has similar plans in the works).

Even KFC is jumping on the Bandwagon by adding CHICKEN(!!!???) to Waffles.
As a side dish.

Chicken and waffles is actually an amazing combination.

chuck johnson
09-29-2011, 08:38 PM
Chicken and waffles is actually an amazing combination.

Agreed. Go to Mama E's for some great ones. Chicken and waffles with syrup and powdered sugar is a revelation.

RadicalModerate
09-30-2011, 08:43 AM
Chuck Johnson: I was reviewing this thread, beginning at the top, and was just getting ready to look up that exact Jim Gaffigan clip when . . . BINGO!!!! There it was!!!!! =)

I hope that when the Heath Department descends upon The Waffle House on Wheels to check their permits and so forth that they don't uncover a bunch of Eggo boxes in the trash. That would be scandalous!

(what's wrong with this guy? what does he have against waffles? next he will be dissing The Baconmobile . . .)

I've never had chicken and waffles, but it sounds at least as good as chicken and biscuits (which I love) . . .

With any luck, maybe we can look forward to a Hot Pockets Truck.
(Or for those with more cosmopolitan tastes, A Totino's Pizza Roll Truck).

N-i9GXbptog

metro
10-24-2011, 08:11 AM
Waffle Champion started up on Saturday

Debzkidz
10-24-2011, 08:59 AM
Agreed. Go to Mama E's for some great ones. Chicken and waffles with syrup and powdered sugar is a revelation.

Or try them during brunch at Cheevers. Delicious!

SSEiYah
10-24-2011, 02:19 PM
https://s-hphotos-iad1.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/331493_10150367956209456_608659455_8084466_3454268 3_o.jpg

S'more, Nutella, Marshmallow, graham crackers and a Bacon, Egg, Cheddar Belgium Sammie. These are addicting. Will have to try the the Ham/Havarti and Pulled Pork/Blue Cheese versions next time.

BBatesokc
10-24-2011, 08:30 PM
Went today with a group. I had the pulled pork and the s'more. Others had the traditional waffle with powdered sugar and syrup and the ham/havarti.

It was all simply 'okay.' Nothing I would ever want again for lunch. I would try the breakfast(ish) waffles in the morning, but so far they are only doing lunch.

My group took a couple of bites, tossed them and we all went to Big Truck Taco (just a block up the street).

Again, not saying it was bad, just not something we wanted to eat. We all agreed it would be great at 2am after drinking and dancing all night.

Also, the truck is pretty tiny and has no graphics on it. You can only read the name when you're 5-10' from it. People driving by have no idea who it is or what they are serving.

My prediction.... if they remain a lunch only truck they won't make it. I think they should be a late night/early morning truck. But, what do I know.

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/7781/screenshot20111024at928.png

krisb
10-24-2011, 10:49 PM
I was in DC last week and ate at a waffle joint called Wicked Waffle. They have delicious breakfast waffles along with an array of waffle sandwiches for lunch. Check out their website for images and a full menu, www.wickedwaffle.com.

shriekingviolet
10-25-2011, 04:01 AM
I'm a little disappointed to see a waffle truck come to town without the fantastic, classic Liege waffle on its menu. Liege waffles are sweet waffles made with large pearled sugar mixed into the batter, which melt and caramelize during the cooking process. You do not pile these pieces of heaven with extra toppings because they're sweet on their own. They're a glorious treat, but so hard to find in the US.

RadicalModerate
10-26-2011, 03:13 PM
I may not know a lot about waffles . . .
But I do know that "shriekingviolet" is one of the best "handles" ever.

BBatesokc
10-28-2011, 08:53 AM
On another thread an issue came up of a restaurant manager getting their feelings hurt based on a negative review I and others had posted. It was pointed out that the restaurant (Divine Swine) didn't handle their reaction to the review very professionally. Just wanted to share, I posted a fairly neutral review (leaning on the negative) on Waffle Champion at UrbanSpoon and they replied via email....

Hi Brian! Thanks for stopping by! Great ideas on the late night stuff! Yeah we are going to start hitting the late night and after bar crowd this weekend.

See ya around :)
-Tara

This is how you address criticism and not ostracize patrons! Kudos, and I will most likely give try another Waffle or two and report back.

BigBadBen
10-28-2011, 01:31 PM
I guess I am completely out of the loop & clueless about trends, because I didn't realize there was such a public outcry for waffles that we needed a mobile waffle unit....

I like waffles as much as the next guy, but the idea of buying one out of the back of a truck doesn't appeal to me.

I see Taco trucks, Sandwich Trucks, etc, because they are foods you eat with your hands. But waffles? Whats next? Spaghetti Trucks? Soup Trucks? heh heh

Maybe I don't get it, I dunno.... :)

That being said.... Roscoe's Chicken & Waffles sounds good!

chuck johnson
10-28-2011, 04:00 PM
I think the the unexpected is what's so exciting about the food truck trend. Across the country you're seeing Indian Curry trucks, Korean Tacos, etc. Hopefully this spreads to OKC.

metro
10-28-2011, 07:24 PM
I guess I am completely out of the loop & clueless about trends, because I didn't realize there was such a public outcry for waffles that we needed a mobile waffle unit....

I like waffles as much as the next guy, but the idea of buying one out of the back of a truck doesn't appeal to me.

I see Taco trucks, Sandwich Trucks, etc, because they are foods you eat with your hands. But waffles? Whats next? Spaghetti Trucks? Soup Trucks? heh heh

I don't think you get it, but anywho, they are made more like waffle sandwiches.

Martin
10-28-2011, 08:43 PM
went tonight at h&8th... i had the s'mores waffle and it was pretty tasty! -M

RadicalModerate
10-28-2011, 10:15 PM
"I guess I am completely out of the loop & clueless about trends, because I didn't realize there was such a public outcry for waffles that we needed a mobile waffle unit...."

On account of reading all of the Visionary Urban Planner (mostly non-local) stuff in here--when combined with and compared to The EnvironMentalistConcernite Doctrines with which we are all familiar--I must say that I have some reservations about this whole "Food Truck Trend".

In fact, I view it as disturbing:
Where, on the [e.g. S'MoresWaffle] bill to the customer/consumer is the Fossil Fuel Use Tax?
Not to mention The Carbon Footprint Surcharge?

Why . . .
Without those restraints to Free Trade these rogue culinary vehicles could be migrating out of The Urban Core even unto those construction sites contributing to the dreaded Sprawl!

Rover
11-04-2011, 10:20 AM

Waffles are very popular street food in Belgium and not just at breakfast. There are all sorts of street vendors and small shops selling them to go. It is fun and tasty. There are all kinds of localized and ethnic foods and variations that are appropriate for street selling. Glad to see OKC branching out from tacos and burgers. It's a great big fun world out there...time to bring it in to OKC.

BTW, watch "Eat Street" on the Cooking Channel. Lots of great creative street food.

BBatesokc
11-04-2011, 10:23 AM
I went back this week and got one for dessert to split with the wife. Regular waffle with syrup and powered sugar. It was tasty, but I thought $3.25 was a bit steep.

BigBadBen
11-18-2011, 08:25 AM
I don't think you get it, but anywho, they are made more like waffle sandwiches.

I gotchya.

I was just thinking going to the truck and getting a stack of waffles with butter & syrup on a styrofoam plate & plastic spork. heh

metro
11-18-2011, 01:45 PM
I totally swear by their BBQ pulled pork and blue cheese slaw waffle and their Peanut Butter, Fresh Whipped Cream, and Graham crackers waffle. This is definitely my new favorite food truck.

CaptDave
09-29-2012, 08:49 AM
Another addition to a thriving area of town.

Waffle Champion goes from wheels to bricks in Oklahoma City | NewsOK.com (http://newsok.com/waffle-champion-goes-from-wheels-to-bricks-in-oklahoma-city/article/3714061?custom_click=pod_headline_business)

metro
09-29-2012, 10:41 PM
Wy is this guy taking all the credit when we all know its been the two girls running the truck?

ljbab728
09-29-2012, 10:47 PM
Wy is this guy taking all the credit when we all know its been the two girls running the truck?

Maybe I missed something. What does this have to do with who's running the truck and what is he taking credit for?

CaptDave
09-30-2012, 08:20 PM

"Woodruff is self-financing much of the venture."

I think that is sufficient reason for him to take credit......

metro
10-01-2012, 09:55 PM
Yeah I just think its tacky not giving credit to the people running it who are the face of the brand, that's like Chris Lower taking all the credit for BTT and Mutts, the twins are the star of the show and they do lots of the media publicity.

Steve
10-01-2012, 10:04 PM
Restaurant partnerships change. For example, the twins have quietly left day-to-day operations at Big Truck Tacos.

RadicalModerate
10-01-2012, 11:33 PM
I honestly hope dat that struggling little fambly, nearly perfect, little flowering, FamilyAsianFusionSpot, working so hard to perfect their menu in order to satisfy the "Hungering Hoards" of the "NewCrop" of MidTownPlazaEaters is fairing well . . . I think it was just south of 1492? or the other place . . . the one without waffles . . . or bricks . . . whatevah . . .

(Note to Self: Tomorrow: for sure Fresh Fishmonger Fish on a bed of Sacrificed Butternut Squash w/rice at home ala jack pepin =)
so . . . critical question . . . is Avalon or Gulfport d' best? Can't afford t' fly down to the Gulf for fresh fish . . . but jist axin' . . . locally . . . ya know?)

(to Steve2: "the twins" . . .?????)
(to metro: "tacky"????? i'm not sure you know the meaning of the word. does "cuisine" ring a bell in your dreams? rhetorical question: the answer in no. in a good whey. =)

Luv youse guys . . . no kiddin' . . .

("The Twins????---steve?)

Geez . . . almost forgot . . .
"Fried Chicken" . . . except tofu . . . on waffles with bricks.
Waffle Panini!!!!
Move over Panera . . .
There's a new sandwich in town . . .

One thing I know for sure:
There is far too much diversity on them Learnin' TV Channels.
Not countin' OETA/Create.
Or FoodTVNetwork . . .

Leggo Mah Eggo . .
Nuf said? =)

[pro'ley not but daz ok . . . =]

I want to publicly apologize for accidentally agreeing with ljbab near the top of this message.
(thank you)

LakeEffect
10-02-2012, 10:04 AM
Restaurant partnerships change. For example, the twins have quietly left day-to-day operations at Big Truck Tacos.

Really? Are they involved in Mutt's? Or something else?

BBatesokc
10-15-2012, 11:35 AM
Since Waffle Champion has been around awhile and is now regularly doing late breakfast times (10am) the wife and decided to try them again as I've been pretty neutral on them thus far.

Really glad we did. Stopped by their usual NW 23rd and Walker location on Sunday around 11am. Probably 20 or so people there eating and enjoying the sunshine. We did the bacon, egg, cheese waffle and some sort of blueberry compote waffle. Both were absolutely incredible!

The waffle itself tastes different than when they first opened and the ingredients seemed really fresh and well balanced. Each is big enough to share (if you can stand relinquishing any of its goodness) which is a good thing, because I still consider them to be a bit pricey. $8 for the bacon, egg, cheese and $7 for the blueberry = $15 and some change (with no drink purchase) to eat brunch on the side of the road on NW 23rd.

Will be interesting to see if their brick-and-mortar location to open in Midtown can draw enough business. I know I'll give it a try.

metro
10-15-2012, 03:08 PM
Coming soon sign went up on 1212 building today

Urban Pioneer
06-22-2013, 08:47 PM
Looks like their soft opening middle of July.

Praedura
07-01-2013, 01:40 AM
http://dl.dropbox.com/s/0ess7284x80165t/waffle_hiring.jpg (https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=500794176655377&set=a.211915675543230.49780.157433530991445&type=1)

Pete
07-01-2013, 08:55 AM
Just announced on Facebook they will be opening July 26th.

BBatesokc
07-01-2013, 09:41 AM

Eaten from the Waffle Champion truck several times, I couldn't even tell you who served me, what they looked like or their gender. Meaning their personality didn't shine enough in any direction to make an impression.

The only food truck I've encountered where the face(s) behind the food made part of the positive experience for me is Roxy's Ice Cream Social. The couple that own and operate that truck are a big factor to its success.

That aside, I still don't see how a brick and mortar Waffle Champion is going to make a profit in that area. I hope I'm wrong - because I like their product - I'm just skeptical.

MGintheBLC
07-01-2013, 02:20 PM
"Woodruff is self-financing much of the venture."

I think that is sufficient reason for him to take credit......

Exactly, it is not like Emeril Lagasse (or any other celeberity chef) is really back there cooking your food at any of their namesake restaurants. They front staff can be replaced easily. It has been Todds finances, ideas, and business practices that have made the venture a success.

PS. They are not really twins...

Urban Pioneer
07-02-2013, 05:46 AM
We're doing their audio system. I'm convinced this place will likely be an "institution". Our generation's Cattlemen's. You ought to see the inside. Todd is modest, but can I say "diner"! I think we're finally getting one downtown in this type of concept.

betts
07-02-2013, 05:59 AM
I consider waffles the base of the food pyramid, so I'm happy.

catch22
07-02-2013, 06:24 AM
I consider waffles the base of the food pyramid, so I'm happy.

Post of the year award.

Praedura
07-03-2013, 07:00 PM
Cool, reflective pic of the window front:

http://distilleryimage7.ak.instagram.com/08bb77e2e40a11e2896522000a1fb320_7.jpg

As you can tell by the sign, this is in Oklahoma City. :)

Urban Pioneer
07-21-2013, 10:11 PM
Opening looks like the first week of August now. Gas service troubles. I think we're going to deliver their custom audio console tomorrow or Tuesday. May take a few pics.