View Full Version : New Website devoted to OKC's mid-century architecture

lrostochil
09-15-2012, 10:24 AM
I just wanted to let you guys know that the OKC Mod Squad, a group of mid-century modern devotees, has put together a website about all of the great modern architecture here in the Metro, and we will be adding more buildings and articles every week.

I'm sure that a lot of you very well informed Talkers out there may be able to contribute information about buildings, architects, etc., and we'd love to have your input.

Here's the site:

OKC Mod (http://okcmod.com)

Pete
09-15-2012, 10:30 AM
Really nice!

So many of these mid-century buildings have been changed or demolished.

I really loved the whole United Founders Plaza development and besides the Tower, most of it is completely changed.

Thanks for sharing and for the hard work.

lrostochil
09-15-2012, 10:48 AM
Thanks, Pete. Yeah, there's not much left that's totally original about the Founders Plaza, but it still looks pretty good compared to a lot of other mid-century developments in town. Putting together the website has been a real labor of love, and we're really hoping that shining the spotlight on some of the endangered buildings we feature might help save them. Fingers crossed!

flintysooner
09-15-2012, 11:37 AM
You've done a great job!

Might consider adding just off hand:
South Walker Church of Christ - 5217 S Walker
Exchange Avenue Baptist Church -

Praedura
09-15-2012, 11:44 AM
kewl!

I'm not sure that Mummers qualifies as mid-century modern, though.

lrostochil
09-15-2012, 10:52 PM
Thanks for the tips. Exchange Avenue is on the list (my grandfather's firm designed the round buildings there in the 50's), but I haven't added the one on S. Walker -- will definitely do so. Thanks!

lrostochil
09-15-2012, 10:56 PM
We loosely define MCM as 1945-1970, so Stage Center just squeaks in (it opened in 1970). Besides, it's such a unique and thoroughly modern design and is one of OKC's best architectural treasures, so we happily included it on the site.