View Full Version : Foodies

Pages : [1] 2

ljbab728
12-27-2011, 11:46 PM
Here's hoping these young entrepeneurs are successful. I really love her giggle in the video.

Young immigrants take their best shot at the American dream | News OK (http://newsok.com/young-immigrants-take-their-best-shot-at-the-american-dream/article/3635463)

RadicalModerate
12-28-2011, 01:17 AM
They need to be investing in the new Braum's (just east of Penn on Hefner) rather than squandering their talents on something so . . . independent and . . . excellent.

Giggles are good.
On a sliding scale.

BoulderSooner
12-28-2011, 03:42 PM
They have some very good food Great potsnickers and pad Thai. And very very good egg rolls. And they are very friendly. I hope they do well.

JayhawkTransplant
12-28-2011, 08:40 PM
Thank you for sharing this! This is the type of restaurant that is easily overlooked but often ends up on my list of favorites!

Urban Pioneer
12-30-2011, 07:46 AM
I went there Wednesday night and really enjoyed the food. I had the teriyaki chicken, rice, and egg rolls for dinner. The chicken was good and the egg rolls simply awesome.

There were about 8 diners in the place with the husband, wife, and assistant.

CCOKC
01-05-2012, 08:24 PM
I have been to Foodies twice now and enjoyed it very much. I even got my husband to go with me and he got a burger with an egg and bacon on it. Be forewarned, all of the food is made especially to your order so it may take a little longer than other lunch places but it is definitely worth it.

Steve
01-05-2012, 10:05 PM
I really think they made a mistake calling their restaurant - a first time effort - Foodies "Express." Just seems like that's a lot of needless extra pressure.

metro
01-05-2012, 10:24 PM
Not to mention it is horrible name in general. It says nothing about their cuisine or character, or sadly, maybe it does.

ljbab728
01-05-2012, 10:41 PM
Not to mention it is horrible name in general. It says nothing about their cuisine or character, or sadly, maybe it does.

Why do you say that, metro? What is sad about their cuisine or character?

chuck johnson
01-06-2012, 10:05 AM
Why do you say that, metro? What is sad about their cuisine or character?

The name is pretty bad and it doesn't give much insight into their offerings, but I don't think it implies anything negative pr positive regarding their character.

That said, if they are successful no one will care about the name.

Steve
01-06-2012, 10:33 AM

Oh stop it now. Not looking to get into another flame war. But seriously, the name reflects nothing more than their lack of experience/expertise in marketing. Hopefully a neighborhood creative type - someone like Brian Winkeler at Robothouse - might give the kids a few tips on how to improve on it. At some point in all of our lives, we were young and chasing what seems like an impossible dream and got a helping hand from folks who simply are impressed with passion, dedication to pursuing that dream. I've seen a lot of that with Foodies Express .....

BDK
01-06-2012, 10:41 AM
I think the name is charming and will be checking the place out in the near future.

RadicalModerate
01-06-2012, 10:42 AM
I agree.

Yet, perhaps--in order to satisfy the literalist nay-sayers--the young culinary entrepraneurs might consider buying one of those rolling cylindrical hot dog cookers and putting it on the counter. Then stocking it with some gourmet frankfurters.

It's gotta be cheaper than a truck.

Skyline
01-06-2012, 12:44 PM
I like the name "Foodies",, but they should definitely drop the name "express" and add something of the Asian persuasion.

Foodies Asian Fusion Cafe.

metro
01-06-2012, 01:49 PM
Oh stop it now. Not looking to get into another flame war. But seriously, the name reflects nothing more than their lack of experience/expertise in marketing. Hopefully a neighborhood creative type - someone like Brian Winkeler at Robothouse - might give the kids a few tips on how to improve on it. At some point in all of our lives, we were young and chasing what seems like an impossible dream and got a helping hand from folks who simply are impressed with passion, dedication to pursuing that dream. I've seen a lot of that with Foodies Express .....

Was waiting for your comment, not that it was my intent. I agree Steve, they seem very ambitious and I applaud them for their efforts, but I hope they take the constructive criticism that they won't make it without a better name and marketing. That's not rude or harsh, just fact more than likely. MidTown isn't dense enough to support them as-is.

Steve
01-06-2012, 02:42 PM
So we're in agreement. It was your ".. or sadly, maybe it does" part of your comment that really threw me. Can't see where that came from.

chuck johnson
01-06-2012, 05:04 PM
Crazians's Cafe

If you've ever been to Asia or any large Asian districts, strange names are "De rigueur".

metro
01-07-2012, 05:25 PM
Chuck, no need to go to Asia, most of their names are strange here, YUM YUM, HAPPY HAPPY, Wahaha, Foodies Express, just to name a few.

Doug Loudenback
01-07-2012, 07:34 PM
On our way home from the Bricktown Harkins this evening (there, seeing The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo ... outstanding movie), somewhere around 5:20 pm or so, my wife and I and were on our way home while driving north on Walker and then it popped in my mind to shift over to Hudson to see if Foodies was open ... it was ... and we stopped. Mary Jo and I shared a bowl of tasty chicken noodle soup (rather large bowl; included noodles, lots of chicken chunks, peas and carrots) and teriyaki chicken, rice, and egg roll, and altogether it was plenty for the both of us. Although the teriyaki came with a little cup of sauce (sort of sweet, dark like soy, but not salty like soy), we also also asked for portions of sweet/sour sauce and mustard, which were gladly supplied. The sweet/sour sauce was especially tasty.

We both give the food and the young couple who own the shop high marks and we will definitely be returning.

The menu is rather eclectic, as you will see below. Although there are no curried items on the menu, when I inquired, the young man said they could use curry while cooking items as desired. Since I do, I'll be trying that out later. The pork egg roll was different than I've had elsewhere ... very crusty crust, no "softness" to it at all. I really liked it. The terriyaki chicken came on 3 wooden skewers and was more than we could comfortably eat. Since we only had water to drink, our tab was less than $10.

Click menu for larger view
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DougLoudenback/foodiesmenu_800.jpg (http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DougLoudenback/foodiesmenu.jpg)

When we arrived, we were the only persons there (I didn't count the number of tables but there aren't many, perhaps 8-10 or so). Before we left, one other fellow came in to eat.

ljbab728
01-07-2012, 07:40 PM
The prices appear to be extremely reasonable.

chuck johnson
01-08-2012, 05:17 PM
Chuck, no need to go to Asia, most of their names are strange here, YUM YUM, HAPPY HAPPY, Wahaha, Foodies Express, just to name a few.

Asians love alliteration.

Foodies
01-15-2012, 12:57 PM
Thank you very much for everyone's inputs. We are still learning, so if there is anything we do that did not completely satisfy our valued customers, please let us know. As for the name, originally, we planned to do fast food - hence the "Express" - because we were told that in this area most people do not have the time to sit down and eat lunch. But it was quite the opposite, as we soon learned after the article that Steve Lackmeyer did for us in The Oklahoman. We are now dropping the "Express", and will change the self-painted sign to something more presentable once we start to see some profits. Words cannot express the gratitude we have for everyone that had helped us out. You have made us felt very blessed. THANK YOU!!!! :)

metro
01-15-2012, 05:05 PM
Welcome to the site

Midtowner
01-18-2012, 11:52 AM
If I was to try only one thing on this menu, then judge the restaurant solely on that item, what should I order?

adaniel
01-18-2012, 12:38 PM
Gyros. Wonderful and cheap.

SSEiYah
01-19-2012, 11:12 AM
This place was great. I'm going back today to try a Gyro and maybe some of the pork balls or shrimp balls.

I went a few nights ago, around 8:30pm, the place was empty. Its very small, but it appears everything is made from scratch as the kitchen/dining room is completely open. The food is made from scratch to order, so it took a good 10 minutes. This Korean beef dish has a surprisingly good flavor.

Chicken Quesadillas, Bacon Cheddar Burgers, Buffalo Wings, Gyros and Asian food in one? Cool.

This is the Korean Beef along with Eggroll
http://i.imgur.com/E0KXH.jpg

BoulderSooner
01-19-2012, 11:57 AM
korean beef is very very good

Urban Pioneer
01-20-2012, 06:08 PM
Thank you very much for everyone's inputs.

Well that is fun. The "internets" at work!

WilliamTell
01-20-2012, 07:19 PM
looks like a good place and the price is right, im going to check it out

wsucougz
02-20-2012, 12:56 AM
Foodies is great, and really cheap. Had the Korean beef today and a couple eggrolls.

OKCTalker
03-16-2012, 01:53 PM
Steve over at OKC Central is trying to drive a little business towards Quyen Le and Bang Bui, owners of Foodies. They've had a slow start, to say the least. So your assignment this weekend is to pay them a visit, support a struggling local start-up, and post your impressions.

(And if anybody sees Bang trying to hug jbkrems, be sure to get a picture!)

Questor
03-16-2012, 07:27 PM
That's a great blog entry Steve. I love the frontage redesign... Looks very classy.

soonerguru
03-23-2012, 06:29 PM
I was in there tonight. Some dillhole grabbed their remote and turned on Bill O'Reilly! It made for a very unpleasant dining experience. How about just turning on some music? That would certainly be preferable to anything on the boob tube, let alone O'Reilly's bile.

rcjunkie
03-23-2012, 07:36 PM
I was in there tonight. Some dillhole grabbed their remote and turned on Bill O'Reilly! It made for a very unpleasant dining experience. How about just turning on some music? That would certainly be preferable to anything on the boob tube, let alone O'Reilly's bile.

Leave it on O'Reilly and I'm there, good food, good TV, what a place.

OKC Localvore
09-01-2012, 05:11 PM
Have you tried this place yet? I heard wonderful things about it and had a somewhat disappointing first experience. I want to give it another try and am wondering what others have had that is really great there?

You can the review I wrote about my visit here:

http://www.okclocalvore.com/2012/09/01/foodies-okc/

JamesFiend
09-01-2012, 05:35 PM
Have dined at Foodies a couple times since it's right down the street from work. The first time, we picked it up to go during lunch at work. The other times we've come almost early on a Saturday for lunch while it's usually pretty dead.

The potstickers and crab rangoon are both awesome as is the Bulgogi gyro. My wife has had the traditional gyro and last time got the chicken pad thai. We were both pretty unimpressed with the pad thai as well but I'm hardly an expert on the dish. I've had the bulgogi gyro every time though and loved it.

The paper menu thing is really frustrating. The first time we ordered lunch there at work I found a menu online at Urbanspoon. Unfortunately, it turned out to be an older version and the prices had since went up we found out after picking the food up. When I went in the next time I made a point to ask if they had a menu we could take with us and they told us no, that they were going to be putting out a new one within the next week.

The next time we went about a month later, I didn't even bother to ask but another customer did but they still didn't have copies available. I don't know if they just don't want to spend the money or what but it seems to me it would be a good investment especially when they seem to do a lot of to go orders.

RE: The broken potted plant. It didn't use to be like that. I think somebody probably smashed it over night recently and they are simply trying to make the best of it (it might even be fake but I think it has some xmas lights or decorative flowers on it or something.)

Overall, stick with the bulgogi gyro. It's pretty amazing and hasn't let me down yet.

Steve
09-01-2012, 05:41 PM
They're in the midst of putting out new menus, photos and graphics. The problem they seem to have to have is they can't just settle on a menu and let folks get used to it.

metro
09-01-2012, 06:35 PM
There's a bunch more reviews here:

http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=28187&highlight=Foodies

Pete
09-10-2012, 09:16 AM
Steve reports lots of recent upgrades at this restaurant:

Restaurant Makeover: Foodies Asian Diner | OKC Central (http://blog.newsok.com/okccentral/2012/09/08/restaurant-makeover-foodies-asian-diner/)

Steve
09-10-2012, 01:20 PM
Pete, the next time you're in town, let's meet at Foodies for lunch!

pickles
10-16-2012, 12:14 PM
How are these guys doing?

Steve
10-16-2012, 01:48 PM
They're doing alright. They re-introduced dinner service and they're having a bit of a challenge getting word out about that....

pickles
10-16-2012, 08:16 PM
Who's doing their P.R.? I saw they were being assisted by Winkeler when their new signage went in place, but I've seen little mention of them on social media in recent months. I'm hoping they succeed.

Rover
07-16-2013, 02:09 PM
I finally made it to Foodies. Now I totally regret taking SOOOO long to do so. It was great. Had the Korean beef Gyros and my friends had other dishes. Everyone raved.

I hope everyone remembers this place when they make lunch and dinner plans.

no1cub17
07-18-2013, 03:18 PM
Wow had no idea this place existed - will definitely be checking it out! All about quick affordable tasty asian food. Great idea! Just curious though is it against the law for restaurants here to be open on Sunday?

BoulderSooner
07-18-2013, 03:23 PM
Wow had no idea this place existed - will definitely be checking it out! All about quick affordable tasty asian food. Great idea! Just curious though is it against the law for restaurants here to be open on Sunday?

Not at all lots of places are open on Sundays

no1cub17
07-19-2013, 05:06 PM
Not at all lots of places are open on Sundays

Acknowledged - my comment was somewhat tongue in cheek. Other than S&B and whole foods, precious few of my favorites are open on Sundays. Quite frustrating actually. I can go down the list of places that are closed (Big Truck, Thai Kitchen, The Mule, Hillbilly, etc)...

Pete
07-19-2013, 05:27 PM
Wow, surprised all those places are closed on a weekend day!

no1cub17
07-22-2013, 07:02 AM
Wow, surprised all those places are closed on a weekend day!

Exactly! Glad someone else here agrees. It's mindblowing at times how hard it is to go out to eat on a Sunday. Personally I love going out on Sunday rather than Saturday - avoid the crowds, generally faster service, etc.

JarrodH
02-19-2014, 08:13 AM
Foodies has recently been bought and closed. I drove by yesterday and it appeared they had gutted the entire space.

Urbanized
02-19-2014, 08:57 AM
Yeah, I rode by last night and saw that the windows were papered. It's a shame; the owners were nice and the food was generally wonderful. I think it was just a little too (currently) out-of-the-way to attract a regular audience. I'm guilty myself of not going there often enough.

AP
02-19-2014, 09:52 AM
Man, that sucks. I really loved that place. When I lived in Midtown I ate there twice a week.

Pete
02-19-2014, 09:56 AM
As someone said in another thread, when you find yourself rooting for a place it almost always means you know they are doomed.

The property does not seem to have sold and and I can't find any building permits. Not sure about the next use.

JarrodH
02-19-2014, 09:56 AM
I've been told it was purchased by Wade Starr, formerly of the Deep Fork Group. He is doing a new concept in the space.

Paseofreak
02-19-2014, 10:33 AM
A February 6 Facebook post said "Starting Monday, Foodies will be under the care of the talented Chef Josh Richardson. We'll be on the south side at OMG! Fusion Grill. Plz support him & us. Thank You!!"

A February 10 Tweet said they were open on the Southside as OMG Fusion.

Roger S
02-19-2014, 10:40 AM
Maybe he will turn it into the late night diner everyone has been clamoring for in that area.

Paseofreak
02-19-2014, 10:53 AM
I've been told it was purchased by Wade Starr, formerly of the Deep Fork Group. He is doing a new concept in the space.

Really? What's that all about?

Martin
02-19-2014, 10:55 AM
that's kind of weird.... "omg fusion" is the site of the former august moon near i-240 & penn. the "coming soon" sign has been up for what seems like nearly two years with no activity. haven't looked lately, though. -M

Pete
02-19-2014, 10:57 AM
Josh Richardson trained at the Coach House and more recently was with the Deep Fork Group.

Sounds like he might be going out on his own at this location. Very interesting.

JarrodH
02-19-2014, 11:01 AM
I've heard Josh may have already left this project.. Interesting.