View Full Version : Satellite TV

Roadhawg
08-28-2012, 08:52 AM
I currently have Dish and getting tired of them, the schedule they show isn't always what's on, plus they are dropping the Big ten Network. Since I'm a Husker fan this is not good. So...... anybody out there have DirectTV and do they like it? I'm not able to get ATT UVerse and hate Cox.

Just the facts
08-28-2012, 09:14 AM
We have DirecTV (13 years now) but it is getting so darn expensive. I am on the verge of just going Windows Media Center in the whole house and dropping service all together.

Roadhawg
08-28-2012, 09:15 AM
That crossed my mind as well since I can hook up the laptop to the TV

Just the facts
08-28-2012, 09:17 AM
WMC has a pretty good selection of free programming and will connect seemlessly to NetFlix and other on-deman services. I actully run it in 2 rooms now just because I don't want to add $10 to our monthly bill.

GaryOKC6
08-28-2012, 09:17 AM
Direct TV starts out cheap but has a way of constantly increasing their price to where it is more than Cox after a while. After the first year I had to cancel. I ended up going back to dish. I would like to have Uverse but it is not available in my area yet.

BoulderSooner
08-28-2012, 09:30 AM
if you are a sports fan Direct TV is top notch .... i will say that cox has very much improved their service in the last 5 years

Roadhawg
08-28-2012, 09:43 AM
The plus side of cable is it doesn't go out every time it rains.

Jim Kyle
08-28-2012, 10:16 AM
I've had DirecTV for many years now (don't really remember when I started but it was sometime in the 90s) and it's fine except during T-storms. There's a lot of duplication across channels, and the cost seems to keep rising (now about $125/month with 3 premium packages and no pay-TV movies). However it seems better than any of the alternatives. We quit Cox in favor of DTV, and recently explored UVerse but canceled it before actual installation since it didn't look all that inviting.

Dubya61
08-28-2012, 10:24 AM
Currently using Dish, but must abandon it, as they quit carrying AMC. I know this isn't the Crossroads Mall thread, but I've gotta have my zombies (Walking Dead). ATT Uverse and Cox not available to me. Don't have a decent Internet connection at home, so I almost have only one other option: DirecTV.

MikeLucky
08-28-2012, 11:27 AM

First off... It's not a for sure that the Big Ten Network is leaving the Dish Network lineup. They need to reach a deal before September 1st or then it will drop. This is a pretty standard contract negotiation posturing that happens with all of the networks and the carriers. Sometimes they DO get dropped, but for the most part it's something that gets resolved.

And, as for the issue of losing your signal every time it rains... you need the dish to be adjusted and installed better... it will greatly reduce the amount of times you lose any signal.

Just the facts
08-28-2012, 11:54 AM
And, as for the issue of losing your signal every time it rains... you need the dish to be adjusted and installed better... it will greatly reduce the amount of times you lose any signal.

My signal almost never goes out and when it does it is usually for less than 1 minute.

MikeLucky
08-28-2012, 02:23 PM
My signal almost never goes out and when it does it is usually for less than 1 minute.

Exactly... I've had Dish Network for about 5 years now, but just recently upgraded to the Hopper. Before the Hopper I almost NEVER lost signal, but when the installer checked my dish he said the signal was coming in the range of the 50's for strength. He made some adjustments and tightened things up and I'm now pulling in the 80's for signal strength and it takes a very, very heavy downpour to do much to my reception... even then I might lose my HD channels for 10 or 20 seconds, but haven't had the standard def channels even blip on me.

Just the facts
08-28-2012, 03:01 PM
We actaully switched from cable because we kept losing the signal at random times and it would be out for long periods of time (probably waiting for a repairman to track down and fix the problem).

Jim Kyle
08-28-2012, 04:02 PM
That was why we switched, also.

WilliamTell
08-28-2012, 05:55 PM
I've had dish for 4 years now and the only times ive lost signals have been during heavy thunderstorms or hail. Possibly 3-5 times a year, for about 1-3 minutes. I wonder if you guys had old equipment or never had it installed properly.

bluedogok
08-28-2012, 09:35 PM
My cable in The Village went out when the wind blew, that is why I switched to Directv in 1999 and have had it ever since. I have some of the sports packages so it would be difficult for me to move to Comcast for TV (I have Comcast for internet), not that I care to. My Directv price has gone up at pretty much the same rate as cable, makes sense because they are all fighting the providers on costs.

Roadhawg
09-02-2012, 02:14 PM
Looks like Dish and the B1G have kissed and made up :)