View Full Version : John Fullbright

RadicalModerate
08-20-2012, 07:54 AM
I would have posted this on the "Feel Good Music" thread but it's getting really full and a little slow to load.

I first encountered this tune, awhile back, on one of those local NPR/APR/APM programs that comes on during the weekend. I'm not sure if it was the one hosted by the owner of the Blue Door or the show originating in Tulsa. Last weekend, this young man from Oklahoma was the in-studio guest on the program from Tulsa. He is simply a genius. Some have compared him to Bob Dylan, but this song reminds me of something from the Threepenny Opera by Bertolt Brecht and composer Kurt Weill. I have to say that he looks nothing like I pictured him . . . My mind's eye had him looking a lot older and more like James McMurtry. Not that this matters a bit, except to the Nashville Music Star Making Machine. =)

kj141rdReMM

And here's the first song that I ever heard by this amazing talent. He is as good a guitar player as he is a keyboard player and lyricist.

q5teMqHsThI

I'll be watching The Gazette for any upcoming appearances in OKC. Heck, maybe I'll try to locate his website to check a concert schedule.

RadicalModerate
08-20-2012, 10:19 AM
Well . . . Dang:
http://www.stubwire.com/event/thepeacelovegoodwillbenefitconcert/cocacolabricktowneventcenter/oklahomacity/3122/
A local concert for charity. Who woulda' thought it. 'scuze me . . . "thunk" =)

Did I forget, as points of reference, The Best of Garth Brooks . . . Townes van Zandt . . . with a touch of Shel Silverstein/Bobby Bare?
Probably I did.

Ironically . . . I will be on the road back to St. Paul when the event takes place.
And lovin' it. Sincerely.

Don't miss the other local concert worth seeing:
Devo/Blonde . . . On my birthday. At the Zoo Amphitheater.
(they are sorta good too . . . in a semi-OETA/Nostalgia kinda way . . . without all that CelticDooWop stuff. =)

(Adele? Ms. Wolfe? . . . this is all sort of burlesqueesque . . . ain't it? =)

Bigrayok
08-20-2012, 11:25 AM
I have seen John Fulbright perform live a few times. He is a good writer. He needs to work on his stage presence a little when he performs. He always looks uncomfortable when he is singing. He needs to act like he is enjoying himself when he performs. He almost looks like he is in pain.I hope he can develop an audience outside of Oklahoma. I think he is starting to. He needs to keep playing live as much as possible. There are a lot of talented singer songwriters in Oklahoma. Samantha Crain from Shawnee is one. Greg Johnson at the Blue Door does a lot to promote the local singer songwriters. I enjoy seing live music shows at the Blue Door and the Rodeo Opry in the stockyards. Two different venus, the Blue Door is a little more edgy than the Opry which is more of a country and western show, but both are fun places to see live music in a smoke free environment in Oklahoma City.

Bigray in Ok

soonerguru
08-20-2012, 12:05 PM
I have seen John Fulbright perform live a few times. He is a good writer. He needs to work on his stage presence a little when he performs. He always looks uncomfortable when he is singing. He needs to act like he is enjoying himself when he performs. He almost looks like he is in pain.I hope he can develop an audience outside of Oklahoma. I think he is starting to. He needs to keep playing live as much as possible. There are a lot of talented singer songwriters in Oklahoma. Samantha Crain from Shawnee is one. Greg Johnson at the Blue Door does a lot to promote the local singer songwriters. I enjoy seing live music shows at the Blue Door and the Rodeo Opry in the stockyards. Two different venus, the Blue Door is a little more edgy than the Opry which is more of a country and western show, but both are fun places to see live music in a smoke free environment in Oklahoma City.

Bigray in Ok

Agree 100% on Samantha Crain. Looking forward to her new album (coming out early 2013).

VickiFarmer
08-20-2012, 03:41 PM
Fullbright website: http://www.johnfullbrightmusic.com/

Bigrayok
08-21-2012, 03:33 PM
Fullbright website: http://www.johnfullbrightmusic.com/

Wow, John Fullbright has some good dates booked in different states including an appearance on A Prarie Home Companion. This will help his exposure outside of Oklahoma tremendously. Austin, Fayetville, Cincinnati, and Chicago are booked. Not to shabby.

Bigray in Ok

RadicalModerate
09-06-2012, 09:01 AM
Not too shabby, indeed. =)

I guess "The Big Question" is whether success will spoil John Fullbright.
(i hope that Garrison K. doesn't ask him too many awkward questions along the lines of, "so . . . how would you define your music . . .?" on account of his, John's, lack of stage presents.)

Bigrayok
09-07-2012, 03:10 PM
Not too shabby, indeed. =)

I guess "The Big Question" is whether success will spoil John Fullbright.
(i hope that Garrison K. doesn't ask him too many awkward questions along the lines of, "so . . . how would you define your music . . .?" on account of his, John's, lack of stage presents.)

John is a pretty funny guy when he is talking even though he comes across as kind of dry. He is a good story teller. I hope he continues to grow and improve as a writer and performer.

Bigray in Ok