View Full Version : Nordstrom Rack

Pages : 1 [2]

zookeeper
04-04-2013, 09:03 PM
Belle Isle Station has some nice stores and they're keeping it up well. If we could magically make the Wal-Mart go away and become a Costco it would be perfect.

metro
04-04-2013, 09:52 PM
Belle Isle -Nice stores, LOL

zookeeper
04-04-2013, 10:06 PM
Belle Isle -Nice stores, LOL

There's nothing wrong with Bell Isle Station. I didn't mean it was a luxury center but that the stores are nice, especially the west side of the center. The worst part is the Wal-Mart. If you think it's not nice, why would Nordstrom select it as a new location for Nordstrom Rack? Doesn't the snark get old?

Mississippi Blues
04-04-2013, 10:08 PM
Doesn't the snark get old?

It's metro we're talking about here, of course it doesn't.

+1 on everything you said though.

Mastermind
04-04-2013, 11:47 PM
YES! THANK YOU, PETE! I was thisclose to giving up, but something made me want to check the forums, and I see this wonderful news! Now I can finally buy clothes I actually like in person again :Smiley173:woowoo:

Plutonic Panda
04-05-2013, 01:46 AM
Nordstrom Rack says it will open an Oklahoma City store this fall | News OK (http://newsok.com/nordstrom-rack-says-it-will-open-an-oklahoma-city-store-this-fall/article/3779903)

metro
04-05-2013, 10:00 AM
There's nothing wrong with Bell Isle Station. I didn't mean it was a luxury center but that the stores are nice, especially the west side of the center. The worst part is the Wal-Mart. If you think it's not nice, why would Nordstrom select it as a new location for Nordstrom Rack? Doesn't the snark get old?

Wasn't trying to be snarky, just thought it was funny someone said Belle Isle is nice. I've never heard anyone say that about Belle Isle, especially when we knew the potential it had but the developers lacked any sense of vision or pride. Like many on OKCTalk discussed at the time, we could have renovated the old Belle Isle power plant into something like Pratt Plant aka Power Plant Live! in Baltimore.

Don't forget Belle Isle had a nice pond too, so we could have even had some nice water features as well. Just think something like this plopped in between PSM and Classen Curve. Would have been very impressive! Alas we get one of the most unkept Walmart's with a sea of parking instead. For comparison, here is our old Belle Isle plant.

traxx
04-05-2013, 03:48 PM
Belle Isle Station has some nice stores and they're keeping it up well. If we could magically make the Wal-Mart go away and become a Costco it would be perfect.

So many things wrong with this statement. Where to start.

So Shoe Carnival, Ross, Game Stop etc. are nice?

Make Wal-Mart go away and become Costco. One's a big box store, the other is...a big box store. Sounds like six of one and half a dozen of the other.

I'm still sick that they tore down Belle Isle power plant, drained the lake and put up a bunch of ugly boxes. But jeez, people bought 'em.

Plutonic Panda
04-05-2013, 04:05 PM

Make Wal-Mart go away and become Costco. One's a big box store, the other is...a big box store. Sounds like six of one and half a dozen of the other.

I'm still sick that they tore down Belle Isle power plant, drained the lake and put up a bunch of ugly boxes. But jeez, people bought 'em.Just because Walmart is a big box store doesn't mean it's not nice. I'm not a big fan of Walmart by any means, but there are some pretty nice Walmart's scattered around the country. The nicest I can think of in OKC is off of I-35 in Edmond.

Rover
04-05-2013, 04:20 PM
It is about the merchandise, not the store. They have great house brands and the stores I have been to aren't selling cheapened versions of what they sell in the department store, but cheapER prices on the same merchandise. It is just some are last season or overruns. This is a very good addition to the market.

And, I think once people learn about their house brands they will look at putting a department store here.

soonerliberal
04-05-2013, 04:32 PM
It is about the merchandise, not the store. They have great house brands and the stores I have been to aren't selling cheapened versions of what they sell in the department store, but cheapER prices on the same merchandise. It is just some are last season or overruns. This is a very good addition to the market.

Mens' brands that the Rack has that are hard to find in OKC: 7 For Mankind, Joe's Jeans, Penguin, Boss, Diesel, plus a ton of shoes... a definite positive addition to OKC.

zookeeper
04-05-2013, 05:50 PM

I'm still sick that they tore down Belle Isle power plant, drained the lake and put up a bunch of ugly boxes. But jeez, people bought 'em.

Ahh...the retail police. I didn't know such a harmless statement could possibly bring about a response like this.

There were many problems with the old Belle Isle power plant. It was dangerous, nobody wanted to buy it and take the responsibility for it, the costs to rehab that particular plant were enormous, they said at the time that insurers wouldn't insure it as there had been some teenage deaths. You have to remember all this before playing developer at the keyboard. Maybe they could have, maybe they couldn't. My statement said nothing about what MIGHT have been able to go in 20 years ago.

The difference between Wal-Mart and Costco is huge. One is a membership store with leadership that is completely different than the people over in Bentonville.

Plutonic Panda
04-05-2013, 07:31 PM

And, I think once people learn about their house brands they will look at putting a department store here.Well, I agree about Nordstrom being a great addition to our market here. I do think this will lead to a full sized store here. OKC is really stepping up it's game and I believe it's only matter of time before we see other great stores start to pop up here.

Plutonic Panda
04-05-2013, 07:32 PM
Mens' brands that the Rack has that are hard to find in OKC: 7 For Mankind, Joe's Jeans, Penguin, Boss, Diesel, plus a ton of shoes... a definite positive addition to OKC.I thought Boss was a Dillard's exclusive? Would be awesome if they do carry that line though.

bchris02
04-05-2013, 08:00 PM
Just because Walmart is a big box store doesn't mean it's not nice. I'm not a big fan of Walmart by any means, but there are some pretty nice Walmart's scattered around the country. The nicest I can think of in OKC is off of I-35 in Edmond.

Nice Wal-Marts are an exception rather than the rule. The one in Belle Isle is horrible, almost as bad as the one on N Penn and Memorial.

Even ones that have a nice appearance like the WMNM at Penn and Britton, have such horrible service its a deal breaker for me. It's 6PM, evening rush, and only 1 cashier working? Crest Foods generally has most of their checkout lines open during peak times and therefore you move through pretty quickly.

I never knew about the power plant, and that's awesome what was done in Baltimore. It's quite fitting though in a city that for the most part cares nothing about charm, character, and history to raze more beautiful architecture and squander potential for a true upscale shopping district to put in a Wal-Mart. Belle Isle (and Lower Bricktown) are perfect examples of why OKC just can't shake the stereotype it has no matter how much progress there is.

bchris02
04-05-2013, 08:01 PM
Well, I agree about Nordstrom being a great addition to our market here. I do think this will lead to a full sized store here. OKC is really stepping up it's game and I believe it's only matter of time before we see other great stores start to pop up here.

If Von Maur does real well, it may show upscale retailers there is a market for it here and eventually lead to a Nordstrom or Saks.

The retail world doesn't realize it yet, but I believe that if Tulsa can support something, OKC can and then some.

bluedogok
04-05-2013, 08:52 PM
If the Belle isle Power Plant had been near downtown like the one in Baltimore or the Seaholm plant in Austin, you probably could have make the economics work. Since it wasn't in a higher property value area the comps for it are suburban office/retail buildings in the area, it wasn't feasible. I know that Benham looked at buying it and making it into our offices but they couldn't make the numbers work. The bulk of the cost was environmental remediation, in fact that is what was the majority of the cost of the property as the facility was shut down long before those rules came into effect. The remediation for Seaholm (which I came close to changing jobs to work on that project before moving to Denver) was performed by the City of Austin as it was an Austin Energy (city utility) facility built between 1950-55 and was operational until 1989. Belle Isle was built in 1907 and shut down before Seaholm was built, when the city is paying for remediation (like with Seaholm) it can help make the pro forma work.

Plutonic Panda
04-05-2013, 08:55 PM
Nice Wal-Marts are an exception rather than the rule. The one in Belle Isle is horrible, almost as bad as the one on N Penn and Memorial.

Even ones that have a nice appearance like the WMNM at Penn and Britton, have such horrible service its a deal breaker for me. It's 6PM, evening rush, and only 1 cashier working? Crest Foods generally has most of their checkout lines open during peak times and therefore you move through pretty quickly.I can't argue with you on customer service. I've been so mad at them before it is unreal. Maybe it's karma coming back and biting in the ass for answering the store phones and pretending to work there back when I younger. I would go with my friends and walk around the store and answer the phone and act stupid. It was hilarious at the time, but boy I bet we pissed some people off real good. :P

BTW, if you haven't already, I'd recommend watching a few Walmart pranks or people of Walmart videos on Youtube. There was one video that had 15 million views and was a Walmart of OKC edition and had various people walking around. There are some WEIRDOS out there, me included. ;)

zookeeper
04-05-2013, 09:51 PM
Like I said in my first post, it would be nice to see a Costco come here and take that Wal-Mart space, if we're playing fantasy retail. The bad service at WM and disorganized stores aren't just here! Look at this from two weeks ago Customers Flee Wal-Mart Empty Shelves for Target, Costco - Bloomberg (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-03-26/customers-flee-wal-mart-empty-shelves-for-target-costco.html?cmpid=yhoo)

traxx
04-08-2013, 04:17 PM
The difference between Wal-Mart and Costco is huge. One is a membership store with leadership that is completely different than the people over in Bentonville.

Pretty much what I figured. It's a political reason that you want Costco instead of Wal-Mart. Sam's is also a membership store but I bet you'd have problems with that too. Costco gets the hipster vote because it's headquartered in Kings County Wa. instead of redneck, red state, backwater Bentonville, Arkansas.

Pete
04-08-2013, 04:22 PM
Guys, we are way, way off topic here.

This thread is for Nordstrom Rack. Thanks.

Rover
04-08-2013, 05:42 PM
This actually seems like a pretty big footprint for a Rack.

SomeGuy
05-03-2013, 05:08 PM
Looks like they've started working on that building. They are currently repainting it and doing some work inside now

TechArch
07-03-2013, 12:23 PM
I drove by today and the ceiling tile grid is up. It is an empty box other than that right now.

Larry OKC
07-10-2013, 12:31 PM
Drove by htere last week it struck me that the space is still empty...progress on this seems to be extremely slow. They had started almost a year ago???? We were talking about them getting it knocked out and open by Christmas of last year...maybe by Christmas this year???

Plutonic Panda
07-10-2013, 03:10 PM
This, the Microsoft Store and the Von Maur is very weird. I know they are pretty much done deals, they just seem really shaky. I just don't like projects that move really slowly, esp. the ones where you can't really see the "progress" being made. Just makes me think they're up in air and could fall anytime.

NWOKCGuy
07-17-2013, 03:10 PM
Haven't read through this whole chain - but there's a sign up for it now. Sorry if this is a repost.

bchris02
07-17-2013, 03:46 PM
This, the Microsoft Store and the Von Maur is very weird. I know they are pretty much done deals, they just seem really shaky. I just don't like projects that move really slowly, esp. the ones where you can't really see the "progress" being made. Just makes me think they're up in air and could fall anytime.

I have heard its typical for Von Maur locations to be very slow to open simply because of the quality of construction that goes into them.

Microsoft on the other hand...

TechArch
07-17-2013, 04:56 PM
The Nordstrom Rack sign is up at Belle Isle Station sign at the intersection of Classen and Northwest Expressway.

Soonerman
07-17-2013, 07:28 PM
I have heard its typical for Von Maur locations to be very slow to open simply because of the quality of construction that goes into them.

Especially considering that old Sears store needs a lot of work done to it.

Plutonic Panda
07-17-2013, 09:06 PM
I saw it today as well. Should've took a picture, just wasn't thinking about it.

progressiveboy
07-17-2013, 09:52 PM
I really find lots of good quality stuff at the Rack. I shop at the Northpark Dallas Park Lane location which is my favorite one. I also shop at the one in Plano near my home. This will be a good addition to the retail scene in OKC and feel it will be a hit. I have heard that Von Maur is very similar to a regular Nordstrom.

Mastermind
07-23-2013, 02:54 AM
The Rack is officially opening on September 12!!!!! Just checked their site to see if they updated their new store opening page and can't wait any longer :D

Pete
07-29-2013, 02:18 PM
From today, courtesy of Metro:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/wikiphotos/nordstromrack.jpg

ljbab728
08-22-2013, 02:50 PM
Opening on Sept. 12th.

http://www.oklahoman.com/racking-up-the-deals/article/3874400

Plutonic Panda
08-22-2013, 05:02 PM
That will be nice. Wish they would've included some landscaping in the parking lot, but this will be a great addition to OKC.

bchris02
08-22-2013, 05:38 PM
That will be nice. Wish they would've included some landscaping in the parking lot, but this will be a great addition to OKC.

I agree, but it's not like it would have made much of a difference being the Belle Isle shopping center. Nordstrom Rack though typically goes into centers like that. The one in Charlotte went into a struggling shopping center off S Park Ave, which is not the most upscale center or area.

ljbab728
08-22-2013, 09:00 PM
I agree, but it's not like it would have made much of a difference being the Belle Isle shopping center. Nordstrom Rack though typically goes into centers like that. The one in Charlotte went into a struggling shopping center off S Park Ave, which is not the most upscale center or area.

While we not care for the aesthetics of Belle Isle I certainly wouldn't characterize it as a struggling shopping center.

Mississippi Blues
08-23-2013, 01:08 AM
I really don't like the way the brown clashes with the grey. It won't stop me or anyone else from shopping there so it's really a non-issue, but I just wanted to say it & get it off my chest.

catch22
08-23-2013, 11:08 AM
While we not care for the aesthetics of Belle Isle I certainly wouldn't characterize it as a struggling shopping center.

I don't believe he was, he was using Charlotte as an example that a nice shopping center is not a requirement for them. While not saying Belle Isle is bad either.

Mississippi Blues
08-23-2013, 01:20 PM
I don't believe he was, he was using Charlotte as an example that a nice shopping center is not a requirement for them. While not saying Belle Isle is bad either.

It does look like he's implying that Belle Isle is a struggling shopping center by saying Nordstrom Rack's typically go into shopping centers like "that" & then mentions the Nordstrom Rack in Charlotte is in a struggling shopping center. I don't read minds though so I won't say what he actually meant.

catch22
08-23-2013, 02:48 PM
I'll let him respond, but the way I read it was a) They are not so picky when it comes to the shopping center b) a worst case scenario qualifier was they located in a really bad shopping center in charlotte. Both are separate statements where a =! b but b validates a, but a does not correlate to b in this instance.

Mississippi Blues
08-23-2013, 03:08 PM
I'll let him respond, but the way I read it was a) They are not so picky when it comes to the shopping center b) a worst case scenario qualifier was they located in a really bad shopping center in charlotte. Both are separate statements where a =! b but b validates a, but a does not correlate to b in this instance.

Hmm. I didn't read it at all like that, but that may be how he meant it. I have no clue.

bchris02
08-23-2013, 03:31 PM

This is how I meant it. Belle Isle, with all its problems, is way better than the shopping center they chose in Charlotte. Of course, Charlotte has a full-line store and OKC does not, but Nordstrom Rack is not Nordstrom. They aren't picky about the shopping centers they choose, the appearance, the landscaping, etc. Hopefully this eventually leads to a full store in OKC.

Mississippi Blues
08-23-2013, 03:57 PM
I do have hopes that this will lead to a full scale Nordstrom opening up in OKC. I don't know why it would exactly, but it would be nice. :)

Mastermind
08-24-2013, 01:06 AM
I do have hopes that this will lead to a full scale Nordstrom opening up in OKC. I don't know why it would exactly, but it would be nice. :)
I really hope so too. But of course it will all depend on the numbers...which I'm worried about, since a lot of people complain it's more pricier than TJ Maxx, Marshalls, etc.

bluedogok
08-24-2013, 11:34 AM
The space where the Rack store went into had sat vacant for many years IIRC, I think it used to be Linen's & Things. The one in South Austin went into a former CompUSA and a closed Sprout's store (it closed before the merger with Sunflower which had a location a few miles away) and that strip center had some similar issues to Belle Isle, some of the large tenants shut down or closed a large number of stores across the country. I think Nordstrom looks for a "distressed location" for cost savings and with the downturn it made those big box locations easier to find in even stronger big box malls.

Mastermind
08-28-2013, 09:05 AM
My goodness following them on twitter is killing me! And the worse thing is that I can't go on opening day 'cause of school :(
https://twitter.com/belleisle_rack

Larry OKC
09-03-2013, 01:12 PM
mastermind: priorities priorities priorities....just skip school and go shopping!:wink:

Patrick
09-06-2013, 08:15 AM
I wouldn't call Belle Isle station a "distressed location." The center does quite well.

Mastermind
09-11-2013, 01:41 AM
Apparently there was a private opening party yesterday (probably for mostly bloggers, which is what they usually do for new store openings). I'm not finding a lot of photos though... wish OKC was more active in social media :( And lol @Larry OKC I may love Nordstrom, but school is my top priority right now :D

LakeEffect
09-11-2013, 09:26 AM
Apparently there was a private opening party yesterday (probably for mostly bloggers, which is what they usually do for new store openings). I'm not finding a lot of photos though... wish OKC was more active in social media :( And lol @Larry OKC I may love Nordstrom, but school is my top priority right now :D

If you think OKC isn't active in social media, you must not be using social media...

Look at https://twitter.com/_jenniferjames for a couple pics and a video.

Plutonic Panda
09-12-2013, 10:12 AM
''Nordstrom Rack opens at Belle Isle Station

The outlet division of Nordstrom carries designer clothes at less than retail price. The store opens at 9 a.m. Thursday.

Pulling carts brimming with designer jeans, coats and topped with a handbag, Janis and Jessica Scaramucci stopped short of entering the shoe department at Nordstrom Rack to discuss their next move.

Delores Donnelly cheers as she enters Nordstrom Rack on Tuesday, during a pre-opening special event. The store opens at 9 a.m. Thursday. Photo by Bryan Terry, The Oklahoman Bryan Terry
Do they fight the crowd and go in, searching for the perfect pair? Or should they move on and call the shopping excursion a success?

Either way, the seasoned shoppers were thrilled the Nordstrom name is finally on a storefront in Oklahoma City.

“I love Oklahoma City, but we're really kind of a shopping nowheresville,” said Janis Scaramucci, of Norman. She's a longtime Nordstrom shopper and visits the store in other cities while traveling.

Nordstrom Rack, at 1741 Belle Isle Boulevard, opens Thursday. The Scaramuccis and about 750 other people were attending an invite-only preview on Tuesday for customers who've shopped at a Nordstrom before, said Kate DeToye, a spokeswoman for Nordstrom''

Read more here: Nordstrom Rack opens at Belle Isle Station | News OK (http://newsok.com/nordstrom-rack-opens-at-belle-isle-station/article/3881743)

Mastermind
09-12-2013, 07:15 PM
I stopped by as soon as I got out of school. They surprisingly still had plenty of free tote bags left, and I went around 5pm.
I was also surprised they carried Burberry, Diane von Furstenburg, and Kate Spade. Nordstrom Racks all differ in the brands they carry, and it was really good to see :D
They could work on the layout though. I thought all the accessories would be on one side of the store, but women's sunglasses were placed in front of the entrance, handbags were on the left, jewelry, etc was on the right side.. it'll probably change though, once they figure out what works and doesn't.

I honestly never expected to see a Rack in OKC within the two years I've lived here. So so grateful :)

Oh and I'm sorry for my social media comment, but coming from the Northeast, I couldn't help it :P

ljbab728
10-23-2013, 11:10 PM
Tulsa is in our wake for a change.

Oklahoma, nation retail briefs | News OK (http://newsok.com/oklahoma-nation-retail-briefs/article/3896808)

TULSA — Nordstrom Rack is coming to Tulsa with a new store in the Woodland Plaza shopping center next year. The 33,000-square-foot location is expected to open in the spring. Nordstrom Rack, the off-price division of Nordstrom Inc., sells name-brand clothes, accessories and shoes at a discount. The first Nordstrom Rack in the state opened in Oklahoma City last month.