View Full Version : Any Lake Woods residents?

s00nr1
08-03-2012, 04:35 PM
Just wondering if there are any Lake Woods residents here that could help me with a few questions regarding the neighborhood. My wife and I are looking at moving from SE Norman to Moore and this is one of the neighborhoods we have fixed in on but we are worried about possible noise from the railroad track as well as downwind smell of the Moore water treatment plant. Thanks!

G.Walker
08-03-2012, 06:14 PM
Just wondering if there are any Lake Woods residents here that could help me with a few questions regarding the neighborhood. My wife and I are looking at moving from SE Norman to Moore and this is one of the neighborhoods we have fixed in on but we are worried about possible noise from the railroad track as well as downwind smell of the Moore water treatment plant. Thanks!

We recently moved to Moore from Norman also, we looked at Lakewood but was turned off by the railroad and small lots. We ended up in Rock Creek, and it's great, Talavera would have been our next choice.

s00nr1
08-03-2012, 06:49 PM
We recently moved to Moore from Norman also, we looked at Lakewood but was turned off by the railroad and small lots. We ended up in Rock Creek, and it's great, Talavera would have been our next choice.

Interesting you reference small lots in Lake Woods as all the homes we are looking at in there have lots ~ 10,000 sq ft. We are looking at Rock Creek, Creeks at Wimberley, and Talavera as well but Talavera is quite a bit more per sq ft compared to the others and the lots are tiiiny. Lake Woods just seems to have the best location as I work on the OU campus and my wife works downtown.

G.Walker
08-03-2012, 07:48 PM
Interesting you reference small lots in Lake Woods as all the homes we are looking at in there have lots ~ 10,000 sq ft. We are looking at Rock Creek, Creeks at Wimberley, and Talavera as well but Talavera is quite a bit more per sq ft compared to the others and the lots are tiiiny. Lake Woods just seems to have the best location as I work on the OU campus and my wife works downtown.

Rock Creek was a good choice we are happy with, bigger homes, clubhouse with pool, ponds, and great community. We both work in th city, takes us about 20 mins...don't know your price range but most homes in this addition are $200,000+, you should give Rock Creek more thought :D

Garin
08-03-2012, 08:11 PM
You should come a little further north to SW 134th and Penn an addition called vitage farms

94GTStang
08-07-2012, 09:09 PM
Rock Creek was a good choice we are happy with, bigger homes, clubhouse with pool, ponds, and great community. We both work in th city, takes us about 20 mins...don't know your price range but most homes in this addition are $200,000+, you should give Rock Creek more thought :D

That's only in the Rock Creek Estates. The rest of the edition (Rock Creek) doesn't have the pool/clubhouse option.

I'm in Creeks and I love it here. The park is an easy walking distance and they just put in a play ground up the street in our greenbelt area. However, all the lots are filled but there are a handful of homes for sale.

We used to live in the duplexes across from Lake Woods (the brick ones not the ghetto blue ones) back in 2007-09 when we were building in Creeks. The train is loud but you get used to it. The smell was few and far between and it never got inside the house. We almost bought a house in Lake Woods, but after wondering how hard it would be to resell with the trains, we opted to build in the Creeks. Haven't looked back!

I will say that I wasn't too impressed with Talavara. I found the homes overpriced for the sqft and amenities that were put in them. We looked at a Mashburn home on Vitoria and while it was nice, we were able to build a house 150sqft bigger on a bigger lot for almost the same price. A year or so later I saw that they were able to squeeze in two more homes next to it which really sandwiched it in.

Easy180
08-07-2012, 09:40 PM
Live just south of this addition and the trains aren't bad as long as you sleep with fans...Smell used to be worse but rarely notice it now cause either they upgraded the waste water plant or are getting close

s00nr1
08-07-2012, 09:50 PM
Thanks for all the great responses everyone! The wife and I actually put in an offer that was accepted for a home in the Forrest Brook addition off of 4th and Bryant. We are keeping our fingers crossed that everything will go as planned so we can close at the end of the month.

94GTStang
08-07-2012, 10:04 PM
Thanks for all the great responses everyone! The wife and I actually put in an offer that was accepted for a home in the Forrest Brook addition off of 4th and Bryant. We are keeping our fingers crossed that everything will go as planned so we can close at the end of the month.

Ah! Thats a really nice edition. Small and quiet with some nice scenery. Good luck!

zcamaro70
08-07-2012, 10:37 PM
Just a quick comment on Rock Creek. I actually live in the Rock Creek addition and help with the home owners committee(Developer still controls everything though). The pool in Rock Creek Estates is for every home in either Rock Creek or Rock Creek Estates. We are actually exploring installing a splash pad or another pool in the east portion of Rock Creek.

Creeks at Wimberley is a very nice neighborhood as well(Several residents in our neighborhood want a playground like the one just completed there). On a side note, some people selling/realtors have been telling new residents in Creeks at Wimberley that they have access to the pool in Rock Creek which makes for a very unpleasent converstation when you explain otherwise. One gentleman was very irate and cussed us out recently. If anyone has questions about Rock Creek feel free to ask, I should be able to answer them.

94GTStang
08-07-2012, 11:31 PM
This I did not know! I can not remember who told me, but someone said that the pool was only for the Estates residents. It's nice to see that it is open for everyone in the neighborhood though! Rock Creek is getting huge and it would be nice to see them putting in another pool. I'm sure with the heat, the only pool is getting busy!

Sorry to hear about the Creeks resident getting upset. Luckily I don't know them. Maybe they came from Heatherwood instead lol

G.Walker
08-08-2012, 07:41 AM
This I did not know! I can not remember who told me, but someone said that the pool was only for the Estates residents. It's nice to see that it is open for everyone in the neighborhood though! Rock Creek is getting huge and it would be nice to see them putting in another pool. I'm sure with the heat, the only pool is getting busy!

Sorry to hear about the Creeks resident getting upset. Luckily I don't know them. Maybe they came from Heatherwood instead lol

I live in Rock Creek Estates, just around the corner from the pool, and actually most of the people that come to the pool are kids walking from Rock Creek, which tends to make it kinda crowded. The pool has not be active as of late, because of the extremely hot weather. However, I hope they do build a pool/splash pad in Rock Creek to alleviate some congestion at the Rock Creek Estates pool, it can really get crowded at times.

hrdware
08-09-2012, 07:22 AM

Not a bad area. I live just north of there in the Oak Creek edition.

bille
09-10-2012, 12:17 PM
Lakewoods was really one of my top choices initially. There were several houses we liked in there and we kept revisiting but in the end the train and more importantly the smell (holy crap can it get bad) kept us from the area. I know the waste water plant is on the list of things to fix but I can't imagine living there (what would amount to almost four years now) and still have this problem. Not to mention how embarrassing it would be explaining to friends and family what that horrid smell is surrounding your beautiful neighborhood of $200k+ homes. I still like the neighborhood, still wouldn't move there.

We opted for The Falls, a much smaller neighborhood further east down 34th street (at Sunnylane). Moreover it's another addition done by Rocky Clark. Despite not living in Rock Creek I do know a lot of people that live there (that neighborhood is rather large!), I know alot about the HOA, and have connections/contacts there as well. The pool situation at Rock Creek is better than it was (now that the key cards are being used) but it's still a mess considering the size of the neighborhood. The location/size was due to the fact that Rocky had intended on there being a second pool at some point but I think considering the money to build it, the existing home owners bitching/complaining about the current setup, and the fact that all of his family living in Rock Creek would soon be relocating to Joshua's Landing he opted to abandon that idea and leave it to the HOA to figure it all out. No facts on that last part, just my intuition based on conversations I've had with Rocky.

G.Walker
09-10-2012, 12:58 PM
I live in Rock Creek Estates, and while having the pool is nice, it gets very crowded from Rock Creek residents, however word in the neighborhood is that they are considering building another pool in the east Rock Creek area, and more than likely our HOA dues will go up, boooooooooooooo!!! Nonetheless, its a nice community, and we haven't had any problems so far. Rock Creek Estates is now built up, no more lots available.

bille
09-10-2012, 01:20 PM
At least you have enough homes to have money left over to do things! Our rates ($250 currently) hardly gives us much to work with considering we only have 127 homes..well, once all the homes are done anyway. We aren't completely full yet, but close. It didn't help that we were left with a huge debt by the developer that we had no control over. I won't get into it here but your HOA is well aware of what happened to us (I personally warned them) so you wouldn't go through what we did. It sucked, was pretty unfair, and we're just now overcoming that a year and a half later. Whatever happens with the new pool or any new construction for that matter, hopefully the HOA is getting any promises from R&R in writing!

s00nr1
09-12-2012, 08:58 AM
We closed on our home in Forrest Brook last Wednesday and have settled in to the point of having unboxed and located most of the important day-to-day items. The neighborhood is nice and quiet and we really like its small size (as compared to Rock Creek) and quaint feel in a fairly heavily-wooded area of Moore. Even though Lake Woods would have been more conveniently located to my office I can say that we are very happy with our choice.

bille
09-12-2012, 09:13 AM
Is anybody living in the old house in there?

Growing up nearby we use to visit the land there and all of Forrest Brook (as well as more land going North/South/East was all owned by him. There were several homes all side by side on the land and it had one gravel road entrance with a chain link gate coming from the neighborhood to the West (which is still there, of course now it's all paved). Anyway, for those that know what I'm talking about they may think how strange and neat it is to see all of that area developed now yet they left the one 'old' house.

We drove through there a year or two ago and noticed the original place was vacant/for sale.

s00nr1
09-12-2012, 08:52 PM
That old home does indeed have a family living in it and they are taking excellent care of the property. While the design of the home itself is out of the norm for the rest of the neighborhood they have done such a good job with the landscaping you hardly even notice.

emtefury
09-12-2012, 09:47 PM
I was looking at houses in Lake Woods. It makes sense now why some have been sale for a long time. I guess the word has gotten out.