View Full Version : Sam Bradford makes major donation to OU.

ou48A
06-23-2012, 01:44 PM
Sam Bradford makes major donation to OU.

http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/062312aaa.html

Thank you Mr. Sam Bradford.
It’s always good to see former OU athletes donating back to the OU cause.;)

blangtang
06-23-2012, 04:10 PM
Half a mill, thats chump change! I remember when Roy Williams donated a mill for that indoor practice building.

rcjunkie
06-23-2012, 05:23 PM
Half a mill, thats chump change! I remember when Roy Williams donated a mill for that indoor practice building.

Just curious, how often do u donate and how much was your last donation

Easy180
06-23-2012, 05:31 PM
Always wonder when the pros donate to their colleges with already massive funding why they don't give to their high schools instead...Can you even donate to a school to specifically build an Easy180 stadium? Just wondering if that is even possible with public schools

Roadhawg
06-23-2012, 05:42 PM
Always wonder when the pros donate to their colleges with already massive funding why they don't give to their high schools instead...Can you even donate to a school to specifically build an Easy180 stadium? Just wondering if that is even possible with public schools

I don't see why it wouldn't be.

Snowman
06-23-2012, 05:48 PM

There are conditional gifts made all the time, I remember hearing about some pros bankrolling their high school teams a new or refurbishment to the weight room, training areas and/or arena. It probably just is not one of the bigger news items unless it is a school or player near you.

Easy180
06-23-2012, 06:01 PM
There are conditional gifts made all the time, I remember hearing about some pros bankrolling their high school teams a new or refurbishment to the weight room, training areas and/or arena. It probably just is not one of the bigger news items unless it is a school or player near you.

I would think if I were in that position I would go high school since it would surely make more of a difference...Half a mil at OU probably just gets you a Boren Christmas card lol

ljbab728
06-23-2012, 08:11 PM
Sam is in the middle of a 6 year contract worth $13 million per year, not counting bonuses. The gift was worth half of one months salary. That's not chicken feed no matter how you figure it.

soonermike81
06-23-2012, 11:38 PM

I'm pretty sure he only gave $100,000. Adrian Peterson, however, just gave $1 million recently.

OKCisOK4me
06-24-2012, 12:52 AM
I think its great he made the donation! Even as an oSu fan...way to go Sam.

ljbab728
06-24-2012, 01:08 AM
I think its great he made the donation! Even as an oSu fan...way to go Sam.

Class is class no matter what school you're from. That's why all Oklahomans appreciate Barry Sanders as well.

Spartan
06-24-2012, 01:23 AM
How could people write anything negative about this? This is fantastic, athletes don't give back often enough, IMO - Sam is setting a great example.

ou48A
06-24-2012, 09:05 PM
Half a mill, thats chump change!

There are reasons why the majority of NFL players are basically broke with in 3 years of leaving the league.

Something tells me Sam Bradford won’t be one of those players.
Something tells me Sam Bradford will be able to use his NFL money to make far more money......
and that we haven’t seen the last of his donations to OU.

Good luck Sam and thanks.

Snowman
06-24-2012, 10:16 PM
Good points, I hope he is spreading out donations as he gets the money. It helps that he is at the position that gets the most money per year.

blangtang
06-24-2012, 11:50 PM
Just curious, how often do u donate and how much was your last donation

I forgot to push the sarcasm button when I posted that...oops

on the other hand, I suppose I'll try to donate single figures once i pay off my student loans incurred at OU. lol!

1972ford
06-24-2012, 11:50 PM
wish they would donate to help keep college tution rates the same year after year

rcjunkie
06-25-2012, 12:50 AM
I forgot to push the sarcasm button when I posted that...oops

on the other hand, I suppose I'll try to donate single figures once i pay off my student loans incurred at OU. lol!

Nice cover up, are you in politics.

jedicurt
06-25-2012, 03:08 PM
that's wonderful, and i'm glad he did

but i still have to say that it is only a major donation if you are looking at it from our perspective or even from Sams... but in the eyes of the university, this is no way a major donation. When Charles and Peggy Stephenson's give money, those are major donations

http://www.ou.edu/content/publicaffairs/archives/StephensonGift.html
http://srtc.ou.edu/about.php
http://normantranscript.com/local/x518978100/Couple-give-15-million-for-life-sciences-research-center/print

that's 12 million to OU HSC
and 21 million to the OU Research Campus (6 and 15 million respectively)

ou48A
06-25-2012, 03:32 PM
Relative to Charles and Peggy Stephenson age and approximant net worth from the $3.52 billion dollar sale of Vintage Petroleum to OXY and given the net worth and relatively youthful age of Sam this is still a major donation for Sam.

As I mention earlier I am sure Sam will donate more money…. when he makes bigger money via business ventures. I won’t be surprised if Sam isn’t someday making million dollar+ donations to OU.

jedicurt
06-25-2012, 06:40 PM
i'm sure he will as well... i just wanted to get the point across that to the university, $500,000 is nice, and always welcome... but in no way a "major" donation for them

ou48A
06-25-2012, 07:04 PM
i'm sure he will as well... i just wanted to get the point across that to the university, $500,000 is nice, and always welcome... but in no way a "major" donation for them

I guess it might depend on your definition of what major is but the way I look at it is……..
If the donation is worthy of being mentioned by Boren its major event for OU.

Now I know that OU has received many donations much larger than Sam’s and even larger than what these fine folks have donated.
I guess this is a good problem to have, but we sure could use a lot more of donations………...................................... .. of all sizes.

jedicurt
06-25-2012, 07:38 PM
yes, it is all a mater of what you define as major... and boren mentioning it just means they are trying to get good PR out of it (in my opinion) not that it is a major contribution...

While it is great that Sam is giving back to his school, i just don't see how i can define a major contribution to be anything less than at least $1 Million for a University that gets as many donations as OU does. and i think $1 million is putting that on the very very low end

ou48A
06-25-2012, 07:45 PM
yes, it is all a mater of what you define as major... and boren mentioning it just means they are trying to get good PR out of it (in my opinion) not that it is a major contribution...

While it is great that Sam is giving back to his school, i just don't see how i can define a major contribution to be anything less than at least $1 Million for a University that gets as many donations as OU does. and i think $1 million is putting that on the very very low end

That’s fair enough.

Easy180
11-04-2012, 08:10 AM

Guess you are right...Wes Welker foundation just donated 24k to Jefferson Middle School to help rebuild their sports fields...This matters much more than anything donated to major college programs

Teo9969
11-04-2012, 10:47 AM
Nice cover up, are you in politics.

He was clearly being sarcastic :D