View Full Version : Greek House in Norman

soonermike81
06-21-2012, 02:01 PM
I know this is an OKC forum, but I just had to give this place some props. I think they may serve the best gyros in the OKC metro area. I haven't been to this place since I was at OU (over 10 years ago). My wife and I stopped by and grabbed some gyro platters to go while in town recently. Nothing has changed, still a tiny hole in the wall like it used to be. The same little old Greek lady, who doesn't speak English, was still working behind the counter. Only thing that changed was the price. A gyro platter was like 7 bucks, where is used to be $4-5 from what I remember back then. However, I'm sure as cost of supplies, rent, etc. goes up, they had to raise their prices like any other restaurant. They still load up the platter with tons of gyro meat though, which is something us poor college kids used to love about the place. Nothing has changed there. My wife and I ate one of the two platters and were full. And the gyro meat was excellent! Fresh off the broiler, the meat was flavorful and tender. As we left, that same sweet old lady was waving bye, and saying "bye" in her broken English like she used to 10 years ago, lol! The place is amazing, and I highly recommend it for anyone in Norman looking for a good meal.

Martin
06-21-2012, 02:04 PM
whew... when i read the thread title i thought it was to say that greek house had closed.

definitely the best gyros in the metro area. i'd say mediterranean grill in south okc is runner-up.

-M

ou48A
06-21-2012, 03:47 PM
People who have lived and travel the world say the Greek House has the best Gyros they have ever had.
When I was a student I could eat 2 Gyros, now I can’t even finish one

The little old Greek lady does speak English, not very well, but I can understand her.
She is very nice to me.

jdcf
06-21-2012, 08:16 PM
Wonderful place. We generally do take out though; it can sure get hot in there.

Mydalmationis8
06-23-2012, 08:44 PM
The owners are Angelo and Helen Dimas, and they are there from the time the door opens to the time it closes. Their son is Bill, who is sometimes there. I've heard that Angelo and Helen want to retire and are willing to sell the place (they own the building) for $300,000. That's pretty steep. Anyway, here is a story about them from the student newspaper a few years ago:

http://tinyurl.com/6mdzfnt

catcherinthewry
06-28-2012, 08:04 PM
People who have lived and travel the world say the Greek House has the best Gyros they have ever had.

I agree. I have eaten gyros all across the country and have never found one better.

mugofbeer
06-28-2012, 09:10 PM
I've eaten there since I left Norman in 1983. I still make a point to go there for a meal when I can. No other Gyros I've had matches them for quality, quantity and price. Even the fries are great.

catcherinthewry
10-22-2012, 07:05 AM
I heard The Greek House was recently sold. I hope the quality stays the same. Best gyros I've ever had.

Mydalmationis8
10-27-2012, 06:40 AM
See my post about the Greek House in the Norman community thread.

soonermike81
10-27-2012, 12:07 PM
whew... when i read the thread title i thought it was to say that greek house had closed.

definitely the best gyros in the metro area. i'd say mediterranean grill in south okc is runner-up.

-M

Recently had Mediterranean Grill on S. Western for the first time, and it was awesome! Gyros were good and falafel is the best in OKC by far. Probably my favorite Greek place in OKC now, just because it's so hard to find good falafel around here. Still can't beat Greek House prices though.