Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Pete
08-08-2006, 10:07 AM
Restaurants
Bars
Current
Midtown
no

Address: 1100 Classen Dr. (http://g.co/maps/2u9dv)
Phone: (405) 601-7468
Hours: Mon-Sun 11 am - 2 am
Development: Plaza Court
Links:
Official Website (http://www.mcnelliesokc.com/site/sections/2)
Menu (http://www.mcnelliesokc.com/site/sections/10)
Yelp (http://www.yelp.com/biz/mcnellies-public-house-oklahoma-city)
Urban Spoon (http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/46/662687/restaurant/Midtown/McNellies-Public-House-Oklahoma-City)
Eat Around OKC (http://www.eataroundokc.com/restaurant/james-e-mcnellies/)

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/mcnellieswiki1.jpg

Information & Latest News
Gallery

jbrown84
08-08-2006, 11:10 AM
Looks like it will be a great addition.

Pete
08-08-2006, 11:35 AM
I think Midtown is really starting to gain some much needed momentum.

And with the absurd prices being asked at the new downtown condo projects ($600K+ for the Browstones at Maywood and The Hill) I'm seriously considering buying a home in the Univeristy section of Heritage Hills as an investment.

You can buy a darn nice place for about $250K there and I've gotta believe that entire area is really going to take off at some point.

wsucougz
08-08-2006, 02:20 PM
Doesn't look took bad. Beer looks a little pricey for OKC, though.

Stinger
08-08-2006, 03:09 PM
My Tulsa friends love it. I may have to preview it before it comes to OKC.:Smiley051

TStheThird
08-08-2006, 03:42 PM
McNellie's is a good place my friends... will be a welcome addition to OKC.

Pete
08-31-2006, 07:32 AM
Biting into OKC: At 27, entrepreneur expands McNellie’s to OKC, adds another Tulsa restaurant, bar

by Kirby Lee Davis
The Journal Record
8/31/2006

TULSA – Entrepreneur Elliott Nelson will open two restaurant/bars and one English pub over the next seven months, carrying his James E. McNellie’s flagship into the Oklahoma City market.

This represents the start of a long-term expansion plan by Nelson, who hopes to open two McNellie’s and one other restaurant/bar concept every year. His target market: midsize urban areas.

“I’m kind of looking in secondary markets,” he said, “some cities other people may not look at, like Omaha (Neb.), Des Moines (Iowa).”

Nelson, 27, intends to open his second McNellie’s Irish pub and restaurant on St. Patrick’s Day, almost three years to the day after the first one launched his food-service career. The Oklahoma City bar will fill 7,000 square feet across two floors of the triangular Plaza Court building at 10th and Walker, within walking distance of the several thousand employees of St. Anthony Hospital, Bone and Joint Hospital, and other health care operations.

Contractor Mickey Payne of the Happy Hammer in Tulsa will handle that $1 million renovation project, as he does all of Nelson’s construction needs. For this one, he will work from designs by Duvall Architects of Tulsa.

Nelson expects the new restaurant to carry not just the same menu and beer choices – McNellie’s is known for offering 60 taps on each of its two floors – but also a staff of 45.

Across the corner from the original McNellie’s in Tulsa’s “Blue Dome” District, Nelson has started renovation work for El Guapo’s. That 332 E. First St. eatery will provide both Tex-Mex and traditional Mexican food on more than its two bricked floors.

“We’re actually building a full rooftop bar,” he said of the 7,200-square-foot site. “This will be the first rooftop bar in Tulsa.”

Payne’s workers should complete its $750,000-plus renovation in January, though Nelson doubts El Guapo’s will be ready for New Year’s celebrations. Shelby Navarro provided the architectural work.

A staff of 40 should manage its 240 customer seats.

In a 1,500-square-foot brick building at 28th and Harbor in Tulsa’s Midtown region, Nelson expects to open The Colony by Oct. 1. This “little British pub,” decked out with a large Union Jack on the outer wall, marks the Notre Dame graduate’s first small bar – though he doubts it will be his last.

“I think every neighborhood should have a pub,” he said with a smile.

As The Colony required only a simple cleaning and furnishing effort, Nelson projected its cost at only $50,000. Since it will offer limited food items, he thinks it will require a staff of only seven to 10 – much like The Continental, his jazz club and cocktail lounge that opened at the end of April next door to Tulsa’s 7,200-square-foot McNellie’s.

That 2,300-square-foot bar, started at a cost of $300,000, has “more or less” hit expectations through its first four months.

“We expect to do a lot better in the winter,” said Nelson, whose family has an extensive history in the Tulsa automotive market.

The Continental draws some strength from McNellie’s, which Nelson will expand to 9,500 square feet by stretching it across the floor above The Continental. The extra space will allow Nelson to add several recreational games as well as bump the Irish bar’s seating to 260-plus from its existing 225 customer spaces across two floors.

Nelson hopes to complete that $200,000 project within a few months.

“It’s a real advantage to have a destination neighborhood,” he said of the Blue Dome District. He believes the area is achieving that level of acceptance, just as he hopes McNellie’s helps create that in the Plaza Court area.

“What I really like to do is be in old buildings,” he said. “That’s the trick; finding the building and getting the people to listen to you and what you want to do.”

From these projects, Nelson expects to build total revenue of $8 million next year.

“Ten million would be amazing,” he said. “If we can get $10 million, that would be great, but $8 million will probably be the target.”

He hopes to build both McNellie’s and El Guapo’s – and perhaps The Colony – into growth engines for future duplication, including further expansion in Tulsa.

“I believe there’s room for a second McNellie’s in Tulsa,” he said. “I like building places that are affordable and accessible to everyone, because in that way you’re offsetting any downturn in the economy.”

jbrown84
08-31-2006, 08:55 AM
That's really cool that it will be on both floors of the Plaza Court.

Midtowner
08-31-2006, 09:00 AM
Can't wait for it to open. I expect it'll become an after-school favorite place for me to hang out on Thursdays.

Edna's still maintains a special place in my heart though...

Pete
08-31-2006, 09:56 AM
That's really cool that it will be on both floors of the Plaza Court.

I think that's so they can have a smoking room upstairs, ala their Tulsa location.

TStheThird
09-01-2006, 11:40 AM
I am excited about this. I hope they serve a good Newcastle... the one and only!

The Old Downtown Guy
09-02-2006, 02:47 PM
I am excited about this. I hope they serve a good Newcastle... the one and only!

Their website www.mcnellies.com has a complete list of both bottled and on-tap beers. It's quite a lineup. Newcastle Brown Ale is one of 27 bottled beers from England that they offer. This place is suds-city with about a bizillion beers available. Opening in the SE corner of Plaza Court in Spring 2007 I believe. I'll buy the first round.

TStheThird
09-02-2006, 10:49 PM
I'll be there.

Pete
09-07-2006, 08:09 AM
Plaza Court to house Irma's II, pub, French bakery
By Steve Lackmeyer
Business Writer

Banta Development on Wednesday announced anchor tenants for MidTown's Plaza Court Building -- a mix they hope will transform the area into a new downtown destination.

Irma's II, James E. McNellies Public House and Prairie Thunder all are scheduled to open this winter. The Plaza Court Building is one of more than 30 properties bought by developer Greg Banta in the past year as part of his planned MidTown Renaissance project.

"What we really want are local restaurateurs, not national chains," said David A. Ortenburger, president of Banta Realty Advisors. "We've turned down more tenants than we've accepted. Plaza Court is the heart of our development, and it has got to be right."

One tenant, Irma's, is well known to local burger lovers. Lines are the norm at the existing restaurant at NW 63 and Western Avenue.

"I was there yesterday and there was still a wait when I left," Ortenburger said.

Irma's owner Chris Lower said he and his partners see MidTown as an ideal spot for a second location.

"The area has been challenged for the last few years, but with what Greg (Banta) is doing, I have every expectation it's going to come back in a big way and we want to be part of that."

Lower said the second Irma's will include up to 15 outdoor patio tables and possibly an expanded dinner menu targeting nearby Heritage Hills residents.

"We're close enough to downtown I think we'll get a lot of their business," Lower said. "And I think Heritage Hills has traditionally been under-served when it comes to restaurants."

Lower promised the second location will match the same quirky old fashioned diner feel at NW 63 and Western.

"Irma will be in the building," Lower joked.

Lower and Ortenburger share excitement over the second restaurant anchor, James E. McNellies Public House. The Irish bar and grill will occupy two floors at the Plaza Court.

While the first floor will include a neighborhood pub and restaurant, the second floor will include a live music stage, shuffle board and other amusements.

"They're very successful in Tulsa," Ortenburger said. "They have over 60 beers on tap, excellent food, and a really comfortable atmosphere."

Ortenburger said the third tenant, Prairie Thunder, will be a bakery that he said will complement, not compete, with Brown's Bakery across the street.

"It will have very high end ovens coming from France," Ortenburger said. "They will offer pastries and different types of loaves of bread. There are no ovens like this in the state of Oklahoma."

"We've turned down more tenants than we've accepted. Plaza Court is the heart of our development, and it has got to be right."David A. Ortenburger, president, Banta Realty Advisors

Midtowner
09-07-2006, 09:14 AM
Plaza Court's going to end up being what Bricktown could have been -- great local restaurants.

Can't wait for this to materialize.

This Irish Bar is going to steal some of my business away from Edna's.

Karried
09-07-2006, 09:25 AM
Whoo Hoo, I'm buying my green outfit as we speak... one of my favorite authors is Maeve Binchy. She writes primarily about Ireland and I love reading about all characters and of course, the Irish pubs. I always wanted to visit Ireland.. I'm going to add that to my To Do before I Die List..

This is exciting stuff!

Pete
09-07-2006, 10:10 AM
It seems pretty clear that Midtown will continue to be the spot for locals and more urban types, while Bricktown will be more for toursits and families.

And I think that's a great plan.

BDP
09-07-2006, 10:20 AM
And I think that's a great plan.

100% agree. This is what I have been hoping to see for some time.

jbrown84
09-07-2006, 11:35 AM
This is coming together really well. :D

Stinger
09-07-2006, 12:49 PM
This Irish Bar is going to steal some of my business away from Edna's.
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but is Edna's your place, Midtowner? I've been meaning to give it a shot, but haven't yet. What's it like? What would you compare it to?

Easy180
09-07-2006, 12:57 PM
Hey Stinger...Edna's is a great little dive...Their "lunchboxes" sound nasty, but are great

Shot of Amaretto submerged in a glass of Coors Light topped off with some OJ (or something close to that)

The inside is similar to a smaller Hudson's, but with much better scenery if you know what I mean :omg:

Midtowner
09-07-2006, 01:31 PM
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but is Edna's your place, Midtowner? I've been meaning to give it a shot, but haven't yet. What's it like? What would you compare it to?

It's a true dive. It's not really 'my place.' I probably go there about once per month. Even so, if I had a "my place," that'd probably be it. Lots of us law students like to go there after class on Thursdays. There's a 50/50 chance I'll end up there tonight.

Midtowner
09-07-2006, 01:33 PM
Hey Stinger...Edna's is a great little dive...Their "lunchboxes" sound nasty, but are great

Shot of Amaretto submerged in a glass of Coors Light topped off with some OJ (or something close to that)

The inside is similar to a smaller Hudson's, but with much better scenery if you know what I mean :omg:

Better scenery? You talkin' bout 'Edna????:tweeted:

Careful with the jukebox, if you play "her song," Edna, the 70+ year old proprieter will be dancing on the bar.

trison
09-07-2006, 06:51 PM
Things are really starting to happen in Midtown. Hopefully 10th and Walker will become a nice restaurant row. Plenty of space to the north.

trison
09-07-2006, 06:57 PM
Midtown is alive and well

asta2
02-05-2007, 09:24 AM
So whatever happened? Could they not get financing? Haven't heard anything about them at all lately.

jbrown84
02-05-2007, 09:30 AM
It's still happening. I just talked to a guy at Banta Companies a few days ago. All of the announced tenants are still on the way.

metro
02-05-2007, 11:29 AM
So whatever happened? Could they not get financing? Haven't heard anything about them at all lately.

This is exactly how so many rumors start on this website. If you take the time to go back one page to the original article. You will read the following:

Nelson, 27, intends to open his second McNellie’s Irish pub and restaurant on St. Patrick’s Day, almost three years to the day after the first one launched his food-service career. The Oklahoma City bar will fill 7,000 square feet across two floors of the triangular Plaza Court building at 10th and Walker, within walking distance of the several thousand employees of St. Anthony Hospital, Bone and Joint Hospital, and other health care operations.

It is clearly not St. Patrick's Day yet. Be patient Danielson. All the tenants that were announced for Plaza Court (except Subway) were announced for late spring or later this year.

jbrown84
02-05-2007, 11:45 AM
Having been by there recently, it doesn't look like they will be ready to open that soon.

trison
02-05-2007, 01:15 PM
It took a lot longer to get permits from the city. Also they had to bring in all new utility service to the building to be able to handle the new restaurants. Construction has started on Irma's, Praire Thunder Baking and McNellies. Also King Emporium looks like it's about ready to open. Go take a look at the lobby. It looks amazing.

Pete
02-05-2007, 02:10 PM
It would be great if somebody could go by there and get some photos. :)

Stinger
02-05-2007, 02:11 PM
I drove by Saturday (2-3-07). I can't see McNellies or Irmas opening very soon. Very little progress since I drove by in November.

trison
02-05-2007, 03:26 PM
I think Plaza Court tenants will be open around May. Also new Latin Cuisine and Sushi Restaurants are coming at 12th and Walker. Pizza place not far behind.

metro
02-05-2007, 08:50 PM
I live a few blocks away, I'll try to swing by and get pics this week.

Turanacus
03-13-2007, 10:36 AM
a great bar in plaza court, awesome location with a neat environment.

jbrown84
03-13-2007, 10:44 AM
Is it open, Turanacus?

metro
03-13-2007, 11:52 AM
No, Turanacus is full of it. I drove by it just a few days ago. Workers were inside doing "gut" work but its still got a long way to go. The original press release said they intend to be open by St. Patty's but I just don't see it opening until the middle to end of next month (April). On another side note, King Emporium is open now but to me it looks like they sell junk. It's almost a cross between a very small thrift store and an antique store.

jbrown84
03-13-2007, 12:03 PM
On another side note, King Emporium is open now but to me it looks like they sell junk. It's almost a cross between a very small thrift store and an antique store.

Hmm. Well it's better than nothing?

What about Irma's?

floater
03-13-2007, 12:15 PM
No, Turanacus is full of it. I drove by it just a few days ago. Workers were inside doing "gut" work but its still got a long way to go. The original press release said they intend to be open by St. Patty's but I just don't see it opening until the middle to end of next month (April). On another side note, King Emporium is open now but to me it looks like they sell junk. It's almost a cross between a very small thrift store and an antique store.

Hold on there, metro. "great bar in plaza court" doesn't necessarily mean he's been there and that it's open.

Turanacus
03-13-2007, 12:17 PM
Turanacus is full of what Metro?

I was referring to McNellies being a cool bar and Plaza Court being a neat environment, with the roundabouts and all. This area is improving nicely. Awesome location as many "locals" can make the drive through neighborhoods, can't wait till it opens.

jbrown84
03-13-2007, 12:18 PM
It sure did sound like a review of a place that is already open. It was so brief, you couldn't tell. It looked like a johnnyboy post.

Turanacus
03-13-2007, 12:23 PM
my bad . . .

jbrown84
03-13-2007, 01:17 PM
no problem, all is cleared up now.

metro
03-13-2007, 01:32 PM
It sure did sound like a review of a place that is already open. It was so brief, you couldn't tell. It looked like a johnnyboy post.

Exactly, it sure sounded like a quick review to me, so my apologies Turanacus, but you didn't imply that it wasn't open either since many were asking, "what's the status on this?" You're statement implied of more of "it's awesome". Right now the only open businesses in Plaza Court are Subway and King Emporium. Whomever made the remark that it's better than nothing, I'd have to disagree. I don't see the need for this place or it staying around long, Plaza Court is so small it will fill up fast (almost already has anyways). I'd rather see something fill a niche there like a dry cleaners or something else.

Pete
03-13-2007, 01:54 PM
Wow, has this taken a very long time... I wonder why??

It would be interesting to interview several developers and businesses that have opened recently in OKC to determine if there are some city procedures that need to be addressed.

Sometimes it's a simple case of construction delays but if there are hold ups with permits and inspections, citizens need to know that and action should be taken.

Can you imagine how much money McNellie's lost by not be open for St. Patty's?

BG918
03-13-2007, 08:54 PM
Once it opens the people of OKC will love McNellie's. If it's anything like the Tulsa one it will be a great pub and a nice anchor for that part of Midtown.

asta2
03-15-2007, 07:22 AM
Speaking of...I heard a rumor that there once was a club in the basement of Plaza Court and there is talk of bringing one back. Anyone heard this? I think the club was called Live or Look.

HOT ROD
03-15-2007, 11:40 AM
That would be great, got to have good nightlife in urban districts!!! Just imagine the options that we will soon have in the city (and the proximity of most to downtown!!!): A-Alley, Midtown, Bricktown, South Downtown, Uptown, Paseo, 39th Street, Meridian, N. Western, Capitol Hill, S. Western, more?

I think it is great - most big cities have lots of nightlife areas and it seems OKC has definitely got/is getting that message. I and my girl will be in the city for the Arts Festival - I hope McNellie's is open by then and hopefully more announcements to come.

Superhyper
03-18-2007, 10:27 PM
McNellie's is a delightful Pub, while i'm not old enough to comment on their rather large supply of booze, their food and atmosphere is great! Mr. Nelson is a really friendly guy, and really knows what he's doing. I hope the one opening here is as good as the Tulsa location.

soonerguru
03-19-2007, 09:03 AM
The club in the basement of the Plaza Court building was none other than The Bowery, one of the most legendary Punk/New Wave venues in the United States.

It later relocated to the old church on Classen Blvd.

Many, many seminal bands and artists played The Bowery, and the Replacements even recorded a live album there called "The **** Hits the Fans."

Pete
03-19-2007, 11:40 AM
I believe the Bowery was still operating in the Plaza Court until around 1980.

I know McNellie's is planning to have live music as well, and that will be a great addition to that area.

metro
03-19-2007, 11:48 AM
I drove by earlier today and saw no work going on in there today. There was some boxes and a ladder. Looks like they've barely started anything yet. Maybe electrical and that's about it.

Turanacus
03-19-2007, 02:56 PM
I checked it out today as well, they still have a long ways to go.

oumoodman85
03-19-2007, 03:17 PM
I visited McNellie's for the first time last Friday and was very impressed.

The owner was on hand making preparations for St. Pattie's Day and was very friendly. Had I known beforehand about the plans to branch out in OKC I would have asked more questions.

But the sweet potato fries were amazing, as was the beer selection!

metro
03-19-2007, 03:42 PM
oumoodman, just to clarify, you might mention you were at the one in Tulsa

oumoodman85
03-19-2007, 03:53 PM
Thought from my statement about "branching out to OKC" it was implied.

Also, anyone paying any attention to this thread would no the OKC location was yet to be completed.

BUT, for the record, yes the location I referred to in the post above was in Tulsa.

Pete
03-19-2007, 05:34 PM
Something has clearly gone wrong at that location...

Has there been a hold up with permits or perhaps cash flow problems for McNellie's?

Almost no progress has been made in months -- just hope this project doesn't end up dying on the vine.

soonerguru
03-20-2007, 10:51 PM
I went to McNellie's tonight and spoke to a manager there. He said zoning and permitting issues have held it up but that they are convinced they will be open by Labor Day.

mwmcl
03-21-2007, 10:13 AM
McNellie's needs to hurry up and open... I know its been delayed for good reason but come on.

Hopefully E can make his new Public House shine like the original.

trison
03-21-2007, 10:19 AM
Part of the slow down was that McNellies decided to expand their space which required them to redraw the space and resubmit to the city. McNellie's is expecting great things from this location and they want to have it right on the front end. Smart if you ask me....nothing worse than remodeleding after your opened.

I also noticed that they recently have cut open an area between the first and second floors for the stairway and elevator. The on-site job supertindent said that they are getting ready to start blowing and going.

I'm ready for a burger and beer!