View Full Version : McNellie's

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6

edcrunk
06-28-2008, 02:51 PM
never made it to dubliners... what part of town is it in?

OKCMallen
06-30-2008, 07:54 AM
a bunch of cheesedick frat guys

WHat does being in a fraternity have to do with anything? Stay classy, San Diego.

BFizzy
06-30-2008, 11:44 AM
WHat does being in a fraternity have to do with anything? Stay classy, San Diego.

Frat guys make non-frat guys feel insecure.

Midtowner
06-30-2008, 11:55 AM
All in all, it's a winning atmosphere. Now, if the next time I go I'm besieged by a bunch of cheesedick frat guys, then I may have to reconsider my position.

What is a cheesedick frat guy?

OKCMallen
06-30-2008, 12:23 PM
What is a cheesedick frat guy?

And how do you knwo that their colelctive dick looks/feels/tastes like cheese?

Midtowner
06-30-2008, 12:52 PM
And how do you knwo that their colelctive dick looks/feels/tastes like cheese?

Implicit in your question is that *I* know the flavor of any phallus. I completely deny that. Further, unless it is a tradition for certain fraternities to dip their junk in bags of cheetos (TKE?), then I have no idea what guru is driving at.

OKCMallen
06-30-2008, 01:54 PM
Implicit in your question is that *I* know the flavor of any phallus. I completely deny that. Further, unless it is a tradition for certain fraternities to dip their junk in bags of cheetos (TKE?), then I have no idea what guru is driving at.

Haha, I was redirecting at guru in jest. :) This thread is making me want a hoegaarden at McNellies...

BDP
06-30-2008, 03:59 PM
What's the word on live music at this place? IS the upstairs still going to be used for bands and, if so, is the set up nice?

OKCMallen
06-30-2008, 04:04 PM
I would think it would be a little cramped upstairs if they have a ful-size band...

Midtowner
06-30-2008, 04:19 PM
There really isn't anywhere to put a traditional band.

jbrown84
06-30-2008, 07:55 PM
Seems to me that the dark wood would be a bit of a cliche, something you would find at a Bennigan's or something. As it is, the interior is very unique -- a plus in my book.

I agree. Love the look of the place. Very restrained.

jarrington00
06-30-2008, 08:59 PM
All McNellie's could use is a rooftop patio overlooking downtown.

CuatrodeMayo
07-02-2008, 08:11 AM
Grand opening today! The mayor and bagpipes are here.

Why at 9 am? There is almost nobody here.

metro
07-02-2008, 08:13 AM
Of course, the city and city agencies always like to schedule events when most of the general public can't come. That's how they keep the good ole boy network alive. I'm glad times are slowly changing though.

FritterGirl
07-02-2008, 08:21 AM
It could also be because mornings are often the best times to do special events such as this (ribbbon cuttings, ground breakings, etc.), in order to draw the media there.

By 11 a.m., most media outlets have got their noon packages pretty well wrapped up. Their p.m. coverage is mostly saved for bigger news stories, and breaking news events, not pub grand openings.

That said, an official evening "Grand Opening" party would be fun.

DelCamino
07-02-2008, 08:29 AM
Metro, what the heck are you talking about?

Your continued comments, weak and unsubstanitated, against the city and an imaginary 'good ol' boy' network, kill your credibility.

I've been on the 'inside' for 18 years and still can't find this network. Think about it: What possible reason would the city and city agencies have for scheduling an event when most of the general public cant come. Balderdash!

Just maybe, it's due to schedules and such, media time cycles and the like. And....you can bet that McNellie's, the private business for whom this event is happening, had something to do with the timing.

Get real................

metro
07-02-2008, 08:33 AM
DelCamino, I know your new, but I think my credibility has been proven over the last 4+ years on this site and my involvement with the city and other public groups. Yes, perhaps the McNellies comment was a little out of line, but what about agencies like OCURA, who are known for scheduling odd meeting times, locations and often cancelling them for a to be determined date and time at the last minute. Public agencies such as OCURA rarely post their meetings well in advance so the public can make plans to attend them. I know, I've tried attending them as have other of my friends that are on the "inside" as you say. I have a city document stating their meetings are to be held on a certain day and time each month in their chambers, but I know (and several key people in this city) know they go into "executive session".

Answer me this, why doesn't such a vital public agency have a website or have no desire whatsoever to have a website? Why aren't the meetings of their minutes available online through having their own website or through the cities website, after all, they are a city agency funded by taxpayers.

FritterGirl
07-02-2008, 08:36 AM
This is not a thread about OCURA. Can we for once keep them out of this? Go whine about them in another thread.

OkieHornet
07-02-2008, 08:37 AM
never made it to dubliners... what part of town is it in?

lower Greenville.

DelCamino
07-02-2008, 08:48 AM
Not that any of this is related to this topic..............

No one ever said it was easy following government. Meetings are posted and held all the time. And yes, occaisionally they are rescheduled due to things such as a lack of quorum that isn't known until the meeting is held.

I agree completely that OCURA should have a public website, but because there isn't one doesn't reflect they are a closed and secretive agency. You're as welcome as you can be to march up to the 24th floor and obtain hard copies of minutes of the meetings. While websites are convenient, as of this date, no law requires such a site, and to imply, that merely because the office isn't run in the manner which you believe it should be, that the office is then somehow incahoots with the underworld, well, is a reach.

Never having had trouble accessing info from OCURA, knowing when and where their meetings are held, knowing they are public meetings, and attending many of them, I'd be interested in knowing specifics of your experiences with these secret meetings.

DelCamino
07-02-2008, 08:52 AM
...and Metro, I hope you don't believe that a member's post count or Join Date is an accurate indication of how long they have been aware of what's been said on this forum. I assure in my case, it's not.

DelCamino
07-02-2008, 08:53 AM
Sorry FritterGirl, you're right...........

jbrown84
07-02-2008, 12:12 PM
This is nothing like OCURA scheduling. Completely different. I'm sure there will be festivities tonight, but this was probably the only time Mick could fit it into his schedule. No reason to get bent out of shape, metro.

BDP
07-02-2008, 12:37 PM
Can I get a balderdash emoticon?

Euphoria
07-02-2008, 03:00 PM
I ate lunch there today with some co-workers. Two of us ordered the fish & chips. Granted, I've had better in London but I haven't had better in OKC. They were very good.

One of the other guys got the open-faced chili cheeseburger and said it was outstanding. The fourth member of our party ordered their version of a shepards pie. He didn't comment (he was to busy eating) but it looked VERY good.

Service was excellent and I loved the atmosphere. Also, our waitress advised us that they'd be starting a "beer college" that included beer tastings which would be open to the public. She wasn't sure what kind of charge would be involved or a timeframe but we signed up for the newsletter.

Overall I was quite impressed. I'll definately go back.

positano
07-03-2008, 01:39 PM
KUDOS
Meatloaf / meatloaf sandwich is outstanding. One of the best things on the menu.

CONCERNS
Staff doesn't know the beer menu very well (yet). I ordered a couple of beers (draft) I'm very familiar with and I'm confident they didn't bring what I ordered. Not a big problem - I'm sure it will continue to improve.

mwmcl
07-08-2008, 08:44 AM
The McNellie's Building in OKC has more character than the McNellie's Building in Tulsa.

The Tulsa location will always be special because it was his first building, but I think this location might turn out to be his best restaraunt by far. The third floor has amazing potential.

Pete
07-08-2008, 09:13 AM
The third floor has amazing potential.

Unfortunately, I'll never step foot up there as long as they allow smoking.

I know they are actively working on banning smoking in all indoor businesses in OK, so I'm hopeful that change will come soon.

mwmcl
07-08-2008, 09:37 AM
^^^

As a functioning asthmatic, I begrudgingly agree. It would have been nice to have some sort of rooftop patio for all the smokers.

But I'll have to game up and allow my lungs to take a pounding and enjoy some some of the many, many Scotches they have available.

MestaParkMan
07-08-2008, 09:46 AM
I agree! Smoking should banned in all public places. It would be better if no one smoked anymore but a ban would have immediate positive benefits for the employees of these types of establishments.

I tried to go back to McNellies last friday night and passed on the 45 min plus wait for a table. We had dinner at Irma's and it was delish! It looks parking be an ongoing issue for this neighborhood.

mwmcl
07-08-2008, 09:54 AM
parking will indeed be at a premium. I've resigned to hitting lunch at 11 AM or 1 PM... otherwise the parking is insane. As it is at Irma's and such.

Maybe the best thing to do is park behind Cafe de Brasil and walk across the street. If the wait is too long then go to Brasil or Irma's and finish the night with a pint at McNellie's

Pete
07-08-2008, 10:21 AM
Don't forget Prairie Thunder has some really nice lunch options as well.

As far as the parking, it seems the little garage behind Plaza Court is not being used as much as it should be. Not only by the McNellie's patrons but also those that go to the Y.

But it's true, there is plenty of parking across the street.

MestaParkMan
07-08-2008, 10:27 AM
Don't forget Prairie Thunder has some really nice lunch options as well.

As far as the parking, it seems the little garage behind Plaza Court is not being used as much as it should be. Not only by the McNellie's patrons but also those that go to the Y.

But it's true, there is plenty of parking across the street.

I try to walk when it is not to hot and also when I plan on having a few pints.

I ride my bike when I go to the Y. I park my bike on the parking deck and one huge drawback is that it is hard to tell when it is full and then good luck turning around! I have seen people parking at the EMSA parking lot in the evenings and weekends.

Pete
07-09-2008, 06:34 PM
Haven't seen this posted yet, but they have a dedicated website for the OKC location, complete with menu, specials and beer guide. Also has several photos of the interior:

McNellies - Oklahoma City (http://mcnelliesokc.com/)

jungllejane
07-12-2008, 11:46 AM
the pink in the Raspberry Cream is a Belgian raspberry beer called Lindermann's Framboise. It's delicious.

LOVE that beer--they also serve it at Mahogany..

smacketyanne
07-13-2008, 11:33 PM
I had the Lindemanns raspberry at Prohibition Room when they opened. They also have the Peche. Both are very good. Fruity but not too sweet.

bronchograd05
07-25-2008, 09:07 AM
I've been several times now and it just seems to get better every time. The staff and bartenders seem very knowledgeable about the beer selection now, and the food is fantastic. I found a pretty cool video interview with the chef, Steven:

NewsOK.tv (http://www.newsok.tv/?titleID=1641807788)

Also, the website (mcnelliesokc.com) now lists its pint night schedule for the next 2 months on the home page. During these nights they let you come in and order the featured beer, then you get to keep the specialized mug for that beer when you're done. I haven't gone to one yet but a friend of mine said they're pretty crazy and that they run out of the pint glasses pretty quick. Have to say I'm excited for Left Hand Sawtooth night on August 11th!

Easy180
07-25-2008, 02:15 PM
I did see the pint night promo and it's nice to see it in OKC...Too bad you are only limited to one though as the Flying Saucer's in Texas give you as many as you drink

Went for the first time a couple weeks back and left impressed...Beer prices seem pretty reasonable and the $3 burger with fries was good...Downstairs was crazy loud until 7 or so and we literally had to shout but after it died off a little loved the place

OKC4me
08-14-2008, 09:44 PM
Well, because of this thread, I just went and ate there. I had the hamburger and sweet potato fries. Really good. I also had to try the raspberry beer that was mentioned. I really liked it. My female friend didn't like it! I also tried a Mexican beer called Modelo Espcial. I actually liked it too.

I would definately go back. I had a really hot waitress, so that was nice too!

tburn
09-29-2008, 11:25 AM
We went for lunch on Sunday
shared the beer chili & fish n chips.
both great - delish & crispy batter on the fish.
fries just okay. don't think they are fresh cut.

I wish they would serve the fish n chips in rolled newspaper!
maybe with historic Irish headlines ...

I also think they should play irish music, intead of 80-90's pop.

We don't eat out very often - maybe 1-2 times per week on the weekends and I think my standards are in the minority - I want more of an "experience" when I dine out. especially in a themed restaurant.

Midtowner
09-29-2008, 11:43 AM
Well, because of this thread, I just went and ate there. I had the hamburger and sweet potato fries. Really good. I also had to try the raspberry beer that was mentioned. I really liked it. My female friend didn't like it! I also tried a Mexican beer called Modelo Espcial. I actually liked it too.

I would definately go back. I had a really hot waitress, so that was nice too!

Framboise?

Might as well order a cosmopolitan (costs about the same).

Easy180
09-29-2008, 08:47 PM
I also think they should play irish music, intead of 80-90's pop.

Mix of both would be best...The ONLY thing I don't like about Dan McGuinness in Moore is they blare Irish music the whole damn time...I'm all for a theme and all but that crap music starts to ruin my buzz after an hour or so

metro
03-16-2009, 12:08 PM
Got this in their email newsletter:

What is Planned for St. Patrick's Day
We're bringing in the bagpipers and some Irish Step Dancers. Plus, Steven Paizis, our talented chef, is going to make some traditional Irish fare, including Guinness stew.

In addition, we're closing down a portion of Walker Street (the east side of the Pub) and putting up a giant tent. Therefore, we will have plenty of room for those of you planning to stop by for a pint.

* Pub Opens at 11:00 AM
* Beer Tent Opens at 2:00 PM

OKCMallen
03-16-2009, 02:14 PM
Framboise?

Might as well order a cosmopolitan (costs about the same).

haha, I'd make fun of one of my close friends if they ordered this, but as far as messageboard posters go, let the guy enjoy his fruitbeer. :kicking:

native
03-17-2009, 05:11 AM
How long will the festivities last? I won't be able to make it down till the evening.

LakeEffect
03-17-2009, 06:06 AM
How long will the festivities last? I won't be able to make it down till the evening.

2 am... closing time. Their Activity Permit to close Walker goes until 5 am I believe.

native
03-17-2009, 07:09 AM
Cool, I'm looking forward to getting done with work already...C

native
03-17-2009, 07:10 AM
I wonder if they will be serving Boxty. I love me some good Boxty.

Ezrablum
04-30-2010, 01:19 AM
I just want to gush about Mcnellie's for a second. This place rules. I have been going there on Wednesday nights for several weeks now. Their burgers are delicious, and on Wednesday nights .... well you just can't beat the $3 price tag.

You get a choice for your cheese (I like swiss) and you can get half sweet potato fries and half regular fries if you feel like mixing it up.

With an astounding beer collection, Mcnellies just can't be beat. nom, nom, nom

See you next Wednesday?

Caboose
04-30-2010, 06:53 AM
I just want to gush about Mcnellie's for a second. This place rules. I have been going there on Wednesday nights for several weeks now. Their burgers are delicious, and on Wednesday nights .... well you just can't beat the $3 price tag.

You get a choice for your cheese (I like swiss) and you can get half sweet potato fries and half regular fries if you feel like mixing it up.

With an astounding beer collection, Mcnellies just can't be beat. nom, nom, nom

See you next Wednesday?

I like McNellie's, but to be honest I don't care for their burgers. They really aren't worth the $3, much less whatever the full price must be.

metro
04-30-2010, 08:27 AM
Agreed they aren't great, but for $3bux, you're not out much, and it's better atmosphere than McDonalds.

anesthesiapro
04-30-2010, 10:04 AM
Love third floor ciggy time!!!

Ezrablum
04-30-2010, 10:37 AM
I like McNellie's, but to be honest I don't care for their burgers. They really aren't worth the $3, much less whatever the full price must be.

I would like to know, for the sake of reference, where you like to go to get a really good hamburger. I need to know what sort of standards I am missing out on. I just called to verify and they told me their meat is never frozen and is delivered fresh from local sources. That's a standard that I hold when looking for a good burger. For the price the only competition you might find is from one of the freeze-dried national corporate big chains, and I do not support them or their disgusting excuse for all-beef patties.

Is it the best burger I have ever tasted? No. Is it pretty decent? Yes. Is it affordable? Most definitely.

Matt
04-30-2010, 10:50 AM
It's hard for me to order a burger at McNellie's when Irma's is right next door. . .

metro
04-30-2010, 12:42 PM
Exactly, Irmas next door, get the No Name Burger. Also Nic's is just 2 miles down 10th. Ezra, I think most of their burgers are good at McNellies, but not the 3 dollar burger.

BoulderSooner
04-30-2010, 02:52 PM
Exactly, Irmas next door, get the No Name Burger. Also Nic's is just 2 miles down 10th. Ezra, I think most of their burgers are good at McNellies, but not the 3 dollar burger.

the 3 dollar burger .. is just the normal burger .. just cheaper on Wed.

JerzeeGrlinOKC
05-01-2010, 02:54 PM
the 3 dollar burger .. is just the normal burger .. just cheaper on Wed.

I don't think they take as much care with the 3 dollar burgers as they do normally, probably because of the demand. The place is packed, and who wouldn't order a 3 dollar burger? They won't ask you how you like the burger because they just make them well done regardless. I've gotten the burger there on other days besides wednesday and both times the burger was much juicier and they did it medium rare for me (which is how I like it).

But Irma's is much better any day of the week, I have to admit. We end up at McNellie's after work more often though for the beer. I tend to go to Irma's on 63rd for lunch anyhow because I work in that area.

Ezrablum
05-04-2010, 06:47 AM
The last few times I have gone, it was not cooked to "well done". It had a nice thin pink line in the middle.

JerzeeGrlinOKC
05-08-2010, 09:59 AM
The last few times I have gone, it was not cooked to "well done". It had a nice thin pink line in the middle.

Really? Hmm. Did they ask you how you wanted it?

OKCMallen
05-10-2010, 10:41 AM
I went Friday. I just realized for the first tme they use cheater "pint" glasses. I will be going back almost never because of this.