View Full Version : McNellie's

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

OKCMallen
06-19-2008, 08:55 AM
Yes, they have the $3 burgers on Wednesday!

GLORY BE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :congrats: :welcome5:

Midtowner
06-19-2008, 09:00 AM
Was there last night and Tuesday for lunch. Only had a beer, but the beer selection rivals Tapwerks.

I think McNellie's is going to cost Tapwerks a lot of business.

OKCMallen
06-19-2008, 09:55 AM
Tapwerks is going to have to try harder to get customers...they've been enjoying the "only game in town" thing for a bit and have grown soft.

FlounderinDC
06-19-2008, 09:56 AM
I went last Saturday evening. They had opened at 11:00 that morning. One of the managers talked to us as we were waiting for a cab. He said he was pleased and they only had a few hiccups. There was something with the ventilation on the 3rd floor? Not sure, my memory is hazy. I went to the 3rd floor very briefly because it was the smoking section.

Overall, I thought it was great. Obscene amount of beers...on tap and bottled. The place was nice on the inside, but not too nice and shiny. Has the Irish Pub feel, but not overly corny as some of those places can be. All kinds of people where there...hipsters, alternative folks, yuppies, college age kids, young professionals, etc. The waitstaff seemed to a little touch and go, but that is to be expected...especially when you are slammed on opening night. They were very friendly. I've been to the one in Tulsa only once so I really can't compare them.

Going back this evening for happy hour. It is a fun place and that area is getting better every day.

CuatrodeMayo
06-19-2008, 09:58 AM
Speaking of being slammed...sounds like you had fun.

FlounderinDC
06-19-2008, 10:00 AM
Tapwerks is going to have to try harder to get customers...they've been enjoying the "only game in town" thing for a bit and have grown soft.

I agree. And I for some reason have never fully liked the Tapwerks in B-town. The one that closed off of Western was 100 times better in my opinion.

McNellies is great. I just posted my thoughts on it in the Food Court board.

Turanacus
06-19-2008, 10:10 AM
I agree about the Tapwerks on Western, I've always thought that the Western Tapwerks was 70 or 80 times better than the Tapwerks in Bricktown but now that I'm really thinking about it, and reminiscing, I'm leaning towards it being 100 times better. Seriously. It was the jam. Great jukebox music, Bricktown Tapwerks charges a cover - Lame!

Midtowner
06-19-2008, 10:13 AM
Western used to be fun... I spent many a good nights at the Split-T.

Pete
06-19-2008, 11:26 AM
for some reason have never fully liked the Tapwerks in B-town.

Agree completely. Was in there once and didn't like the place at all.

McNellie's has much more character.

warreng88
06-19-2008, 01:18 PM
The only real Irish Pub I have been to is KilKenny's in Tulsa. Is it any comparison to that?

OKCMallen
06-19-2008, 01:22 PM
Kilkenney's is pretty legit, in my world. It's comparable to that, but with more americanized food.

Blangdon
06-19-2008, 01:56 PM
Went last night for an hour or so because of the "3 dollar burger" Wednesdays only to find out that their specials don't start until the second week in July. No complaints though. I enjoyed the burger nonetheless and the beer is great of course. Anyone like Fat Tire Beer? If so try the Left Hand Sawtooth. I'm convinced they have made a pretty decent replica; which is great considering you can't get Fat Tire in OK.

BFizzy
06-19-2008, 03:28 PM
It's too bad they aren't going to do the "Mug Club" like they do at the Tulsa store. You pay $35 and get your own mug with your name on it and they hang it on the wall.

Last night the GM said that the Tulsa store has an employee who just manages the mugs. At the midtown store, you have to drink either 100 or 200 beers before you can get a mug.

absonjourney
06-19-2008, 04:57 PM
Had lunch at McNellie's today with my dad who was up from Texas. Awesome cheeseburgers, ice cold Guinness and Optimater straight from the tap, and super atmosphere. Can't wait to try out the smoking level!

trison
06-20-2008, 12:21 PM
Foods great, atmosphere is fantastic.....another home run for Midtown!:congrats:

FritterGirl
06-20-2008, 12:28 PM
Went last night with a group of friends. There were 7 of us total and we sat in one of the upper sections of the non-smoking level. Great atmosphere, decent food (we shared amongst us the sweet potato fries, fish n chips, meatloaf and artichoke dip) and of course, fabulous beer list. I'm more of a cider drinker, so really appreciated their nice selection of hard ciders.

The service, however, left A LOT to be desired. Our waiter would disappear for 20+ minute stretches, and in one case, a friend, who came late to our gathering, had to wait almost half an hour for her beer to be delivered. When it came it wasn't what she had ordered. Another friend had the wrong food brought to her, and more than one person with our group noticed that the hostess greeted them with just kind of a gaping, blank stare instead of any sort of welcome. I found it ironic that the back of the hostess' t-shirt said "Where's My Server?," because there were several times when we thought ours had disappeared altogether.

That being said, they realized their errors and not only took one of our rounds completely off our tabs, but later brought us out a round of drinks on the house. Overall, the feeling was that we'd come back, but give em a few weeks to get established and work out the kinks.

My favorite part about it is getting to go into a real bar and hang out for several hours without having to deal with cigarette smoke! Great move on their part.

FlounderinDC
06-20-2008, 12:36 PM
Left Hand Sawtooth

YES! YES! YES! I was very pleased when I saw it on tap there. It is easily my favorite beer right now. Very tasty and maybe even better than Fat Tire.

Was back a McNellies for happy hour last night. Got there about 5:45 and it was busting. Several large groups between the first and second floors. The 2 downstairs bartenders were slammed and working their butts off. I ran into several people I know and they were all excited for the place. Tried to sweet potato fries and fried pickles. Both were good...

Very pleased to see it doing well.

betts
06-20-2008, 12:44 PM
I'm going for happy hour tonight, and we're talking about going there for an unofficial draft party there Thursday night.

CCOKC
06-20-2008, 01:10 PM
My husband and I went Wednesday night and we really enjoyed it. We did have one minor problem in that we ordered the spinach artichoke dip for an appetizer and did not get it before we got our meals. When we got the entrees the dip was still missing. Our waiter did not bring us our food so we notified the guy who did bring us the food we were missing the dip, he apologized asked if we still wanted it (we did) and he turned to get us one and literally 20 seconds later the dip was at the table. The order had been turned in just in the wrong order. Small deal we did not think twice about it. The mananger and the server both came over to the table and apologized which means a lot to us (just own up to your mistakes) and they comped the dip which was really not necessary but will insure that we come back. The dip was great by the way. It is cream cheese based and I love me some cream cheese.

mecarr
06-20-2008, 06:13 PM
I think these problems with service will be temporary. I notice that with a lot of restaurants have staff problems when they open up and later have it all wrinkled out.

betts
06-20-2008, 09:48 PM
I was there tonight and it was packed with people. The beer selection is amazing, and our service wasn't too bad considering how many people were there. I loved the atmosphere and the lack of cigarette smoke.

TheImmortal
06-20-2008, 10:02 PM
A buddy and I are about to venture that way. Hopefully it lives up to the expectations. I let everyone know my 2 cents for what its worth.

Pete
06-20-2008, 11:10 PM
As I predicted all the way along, this place is going to be agold mine.

How is it that OKC didn't even have an Irish pub anywhere?? It had to have been the last English-speaking city with that distinction.

And there are only a couple of places in town with any type of real beer selection?

Why the heck didn't I think of this???? :)

OKCMallen
06-21-2008, 08:06 AM
Was there last night in the smoing section. Gets a bit warm up there withpoor ventilation, but everything else was good,

Stinger
06-21-2008, 09:27 AM
Is it 21 & over? The wife and I want to go for lunch, but are unsure if the little tike can go along.

Thanks

TheImmortal
06-21-2008, 01:38 PM
My buddy and I got there around 11 or 11:30 last night and went straight upstairs to the smoking section and grabbed a spot at the bar. The place was a riot, just packed and extremely loud which was not a huge deal. I personally like to be able to hear some background music while I am drinking but it was not a huge issue. Our bartender was prompt to ask us what we wanted and was very helpful to answer any questions we had. I was disappointed to learn that their kitchen closes at 11PM, as my buddy and I were starving. But we drank until last call and then made our way to IHOP in Bricktown to sober up before the trek back to Edmond. Overall I love the atmosphere and really loved the mixture of people. There were yuppies, frat dudes, the artsy crowd, some metalheads, and various other types. I met a lot of interesting people and had a great time, just make sure to get there before 11 if you want to eat.

soonerguru
06-21-2008, 06:16 PM
I also went last night -- my third visit -- and I noticed the crowd wasn't quite as "smart" as it was last week. In fact, I encountered some real a-holes there. Hope that isn't a long-term trend.

GWB
06-21-2008, 09:27 PM
My wife and I went there today for lunch. I had a charbroiled cheese burger with pub fries. My wife had beef ribs that were braised in beer served with fresh string beans. The beef ribs were falling of the bones. They put barbeque sauce on it but not too much and it had a nice bite to it. They have a very good food selection there and we look forward to going again and trying the other items on the menu. I highly recommend this place for lunch or dinner.

metro
06-21-2008, 10:11 PM
I ate there yesterday for lunch with a colleague. I will post my review in the Food Court.

donbroncho
06-21-2008, 10:36 PM
Is it 21 & over? The wife and I want to go for lunch, but are unsure if the little tike can go along.

Thanks

I went there tonight and i saw several children inside, so I think you are good there.

As for my review of it, I absolutely loved it. I ordered a beer but a manager came over and told me that he did not put that brand in the cooler early enough, so he gave me and my friend several bottles of good beer for free.

The location is great, the inside is great and the selection is the best in town. This place puts Tapwerks to shame. McNellie's should be the anchor of that neighborhood for a long time.

Support this place. Nuff said.

bandnerd
06-21-2008, 10:48 PM
I think we have found a new place for friday happy hours for the teachers at my nearby school!

wsucougz
06-22-2008, 10:59 AM
This place is insane. Midtown already needs another bar just to bleed off some of the capacity.

Pete
06-22-2008, 05:24 PM
Midtown already needs another bar just to bleed off some of the capacity.

I was just thinking that the popularity of McNellie's is likely to lead to plenty of other spots in the immediate area.

metro
06-23-2008, 10:10 AM
Well, 1492 has a bar and Cafe Do Brasil across the street has the rooftop bar. I imagine the bar crowd will bar hop in this area.

downtown20
06-23-2008, 11:41 AM
I've been to McNellie's in Tulsa many times and it has excellent food and service. Went to the OKC McNellies a couple days ago and realize they are still getting their act together. Aside from the slow service... they were still friendly and the food was great. Their Grand Opening isn't until July still... so I am more than happy to be forgiving with them. Just glad to have them in town now.

centaurian
06-23-2008, 02:49 PM
McNellie's in Tulsa is McNellie's in Tulsa, it built its quality , atmosphere and all that from being where it is..... can you actually expect the exact same thing here?
oh gawd you do.....sad..... the truth is it will become its own unique McNellies in OKC , you cant compare the 2 side by side. OKC s will develop and evolve into its own unique place., hopefully a good one. so lets not expect it to be McNellies in Tulsa in OKC> and let it become OKCS McNellies on its own merit.

downtown20
06-23-2008, 03:05 PM
To centaurian... I don't think anyone is saying they want McNellie's in OKC to be the same as Tulsa... that's certainly not what I am saying. Just referring to the quality one can expect from it. I noticed the menu is a little different and expect it to develop a unique character... but I fully expect their quality to match that of Tulsa's Pub once business is rolling smoothly.

jbrown84
06-23-2008, 08:29 PM
Yeah it really is developing into a nightlife district. Enough to rival Barmuda if not Bricktown.

soonerguru
06-23-2008, 09:55 PM
McNellie's in Tulsa is McNellie's in Tulsa, it built its quality , atmosphere and all that from being where it is..... can you actually expect the exact same thing here?
oh gawd you do.....sad..... the truth is it will become its own unique McNellies in OKC , you cant compare the 2 side by side. OKC s will develop and evolve into its own unique place., hopefully a good one. so lets not expect it to be McNellies in Tulsa in OKC> and let it become OKCS McNellies on its own merit.

I think this dead horse has been beaten sufficiently. The valid questions raised in the thread relate to the quality of the service of the two institutions, not the style of the places. Of course they're different.

Spartan
06-24-2008, 02:33 AM
My friend used to live in D.C. and he said it reminded him of places there, sort of an "educated" crowd. I also loved seeing people WALKING up to the door from down the street.

A++

There's a restaurant in Georgetown that I was having major flashbacks to while I ate at the one in Tulsa a while ago. I think Nelson is actually from Northern Virginia, which counts as DC in my book.

Swake2
06-24-2008, 07:25 AM
There's a restaurant in Georgetown that I was having major flashbacks to while I ate at the one in Tulsa a while ago. I think Nelson is actually from Northern Virginia, which counts as DC in my book.

Um, no he's not. He's from Tulsa, went to Union. His father is a long time car Tulsa dealer. He owns Nelson Nissan and Nelson Mazda.

metro
06-24-2008, 08:04 AM
A buddy and I had lunch here last Friday. Place was packed. We had to sit at 2 of the 4 remaining seats at the bar as all the tables in the whole place were taken. It's pretty much seat yourself even though they have a "hostess" stand. I had the St. Patty's burger with Pub Fries and my colleague had the grilled chicken sandwich. I enjoyed the burger and the fries were decent. The burger came on some excellent marble rye bread. I hear the sweet potato fries are a must, but I'm not big on sweet foods so I opted out. The service was lacking to say the least and they clearly did not have enough help and the service we did get was fairly rude and seemed to be the trend. I don't know if it was that way because they were short staffed or what, but they seemed to be slow with everyone and fairly blunt and rude. Prices were a little high for lunch, I suggest they do a lunch menu with smaller portions. I'll definitely be going back, but I hope the service does improve. Either way, I'm sure the place will be a hit, just because of the bar.

ksearls
06-24-2008, 08:47 AM
Hi,

My husband and I lunched there yesterday. It was great, love the atmosphere. Sat on the second floor. I had the grilled chicken club and sweet potato fries and it was really great. Really good for bar food! T had the chili cheeseburger and he said it was great too. Good service, wow those wait units have to climb lots of stairs, kudos to them! This place is a winner and instant classic! Can't wait to drink my way through the list.

kim

mcbee04
06-24-2008, 12:01 PM
I ate dinner there with some friends last night. I think the bottom floor is 21+ but the 2nd floor was open to everyone. I had the grilled cheese with tomato and bacon. It was excellent. I tried one of their mixed beers called a "Raspberry Cream." It was a hoegaarden with a shot of something in it that turned it pink. Really good. I'm going to go back and try the "Irish Lunch Special," you get a bowl of potato leek soup, bread, and a 12 oz. Guinness for $5.50. Fantastic deal, I think.

jbrown84
06-24-2008, 02:01 PM
the pink in the Raspberry Cream is a Belgian raspberry beer called Lindermann's Framboise. It's delicious.

mcbee04
06-24-2008, 02:10 PM
Framboise! That's what it was. I'll have to steal a beer list next time. It's massive.

tburn
06-24-2008, 02:25 PM
Had late lunch on Sunday.
not crowded at all.
we sat on the 2nd floor, near the windows.
Our waiter must have had a shift change, as he disappeared and the guys in my group were getting thirsty and grumbly! A waitress took over and she was very helpful and pleasant.

our group shared an order of sweet potato fries. They were not HOT and came with ranch. I would prefer them fresh out of the fryer!
We shared an appetizer of the European Cheese & Seasonal Fruit Platter.
VERY SATISFYING, even though pricey (12.95).

I had the St. Patty Melt and tabouli - it was good.
Husb had the St. Patty Melt & Seasonal Veggies. The veggies were green beans (his fav!) BUT they were frozen and not cooked long enough to taste good. he didn't eat much of them.

We spent more than we would like for a couple of beers & burgers, but if they start having a BEER SPECIAL or meal we will make a regular stop.

I love the interior.

oh, I found it ODD that the restroom smelled horribly of old cigarette smoke. I understand the smoking area is on the 3red floor (it was closed during our visit, opens at 4pm?) but the ventilation needs work!

John
06-24-2008, 03:27 PM
We spent more than we would like for a couple of beers & burgers, but if they start having a BEER SPECIAL or meal we will make a regular stop.

After their 'grand opening' in July, they'll start having burger wednesdays ($3 burgers from 5-10) and their certain pint nights where you get to keep a glass with the purchase of one 'insert beer name here'.

OkieBob
06-27-2008, 01:10 PM
I have been a lurker on the site for some time now and I have to give my 2 cents on this "Irish Pub".

I do like their beer selection alot, being the beer snob that I am, but the service is horrible, the drinks are small and there is nothing in there to make me feel like I'm in a cozy Irish Pub. The atmosphere was cold and loud. It more reminded me of a frat house. I have always pictured Irish Pubs with more wood and an elaborate bar and back bar. I have been to some nice pubs in Dallas and Phoenix and this one can't measure up to the name. They need to add some warmth.
Our server took about 15 minutes to bring our drinks and even longer for the second round. And no it was not real busy. My friend wnated one last drink before we left and waited for ten minutes and deciced to go ahead and leave. as we exited there was our server standing outside on the sidewalk talking on her cell phone. She asked if he wanted his tab? He said, for what? She then told him to hold on while she finished her conversation on the phone. When she was done she says something to the effect of "thanks see you next time".
Sorry, no next time for me. A gazillion beers on tap is not going to cut the mustard if they can't get them to the table. Aside from the tiny drinks and bad service the lack of any remote amount of professionalism will keep me from coming back.

Of course this just my opinion. You be the judge.

Bob

Midtowner
06-27-2008, 01:38 PM
I have been a lurker on the site for some time now and I have to give my 2 cents on this "Irish Pub".

I do like their beer selection alot, being the beer snob that I am, but the service is horrible, the drinks are small and there is nothing in there to make me feel like I'm in a cozy Irish Pub. The atmosphere was cold and loud. It more reminded me of a frat house. I have always pictured Irish Pubs with more wood and an elaborate bar and back bar. I have been to some nice pubs in Dallas and Phoenix and this one can't measure up to the name. They need to add some warmth.
Our server took about 15 minutes to bring our drinks and even longer for the second round. And no it was not real busy. My friend wnated one last drink before we left and waited for ten minutes and deciced to go ahead and leave. as we exited there was our server standing outside on the sidewalk talking on her cell phone. She asked if he wanted his tab? He said, for what? She then told him to hold on while she finished her conversation on the phone. When she was done she says something to the effect of "thanks see you next time".
Sorry, no next time for me. A gazillion beers on tap is not going to cut the mustard if they can't get them to the table. Aside from the tiny drinks and bad service the lack of any remote amount of professionalism will keep me from coming back.

Of course this just my opinion. You be the judge.

Bob

Had a similar experience at lunch time. Service is hit or miss depending on the server.

It was "seat yourself," so we sat ourselves. We waited for about 10 minutes. No one even came to the table to bring menus. The final straw was when a party of five went in and were basically followed in by a server for that section and immediately waited on. We got up and left. I doubt anyone even noticed.

I don't think I'll be back for lunch until they've had time to work out the kinks in that service.

jbkrems
06-27-2008, 01:52 PM
I went for dinner last night. The food was outstanding and the service was good. There was a discrepancy about my bill, but it was fixed. I was really pleased with the staff, from the hostesses at the door, to management, to my own server. They were fairly busy this Thursday night, but they went all out to make me feel at home. This is one place where I would definitely return.

OKCMallen
06-27-2008, 02:31 PM
Maybe we should print out some of the complaints and send them to management so they can fix these things quick-fast. I want this place to last.

BoulderSooner
06-27-2008, 02:39 PM
Maybe we should print out some of the complaints and send them to management so they can fix these things quick-fast. I want this place to last.

don't worry about them lasting .. they are packed . almost 7 nights a week ..

i think the service issues are just a product of being new ..

remember .. their Grand Opening .. has not happened yet .. they are still in their "soft" period .. grand opening in on the 2nd ..

i love this pub .. and am very very happy that it is in the neighborhood.

food is great and the mgmt is very good...

FritterGirl
06-27-2008, 02:46 PM
They won't stay packed long if service issues continue to plague them, especially if those issues are brought out time and time again on message boards, or via word of mouth.

If someone knows the owner, it might be wise to point him in our direction and let him know what people are saying about the place. Look what kind of an impact some criticism (some unwarranted, other not) has had with Prairie Thunder.

I think the service issue is exactly why some folks avoid new places until they've been established for about three months.

If basic service issues aren't corrected by that time, then I don't give the place great shakes, because then it boils down to poor management and training.

Midtowner
06-27-2008, 04:04 PM
They won't stay packed long if service issues continue to plague them, especially if those issues are brought out time and time again on message boards, or via word of mouth.

If someone knows the owner, it might be wise to point him in our direction and let him know what people are saying about the place. Look what kind of an impact some criticism (some unwarranted, other not) has had with Prairie Thunder.

I think the service issue is exactly why some folks avoid new places until they've been established for about three months.

If basic service issues aren't corrected by that time, then I don't give the place great shakes, because then it boils down to poor management and training.

Many of these owners are well aware of these message boards.

edcrunk
06-27-2008, 04:57 PM
i ate there for lunch yesterday with old downtown guy, spartan & cuatro de mayo... the food was good, but i was dissapointed with the decor and atmosphere. i thought it would look like a traditional irish pub (with all the wood and such).
i just felt that it was a cheap imitation of what i am used to http://www.trinityhall.tv
doubt i will go back.

soonerguru
06-27-2008, 10:37 PM
I'll go out on a limb and defend the aesthetics. Having been to their Tulsa joint many times, I was pleasantly surprised to see they didn't totally reprise the original locale with the dark wood ambiance.

It has a modern feel, but the spareness of it -- indeed the exposed plaster -- makes it feel like it's been there a million years.

Seems to me that the dark wood would be a bit of a cliche, something you would find at a Bennigan's or something. As it is, the interior is very unique -- a plus in my book. I love the fixtures and the bank of windows.

All in all, it's a winning atmosphere. Now, if the next time I go I'm besieged by a bunch of cheesedick frat guys, then I may have to reconsider my position.

The Old Downtown Guy
06-28-2008, 12:03 AM
I just passed by Plaza Court on my way home from Galileo's, where I went to hear the three piece version of the Panhandler's . . . great country, rootsy, rocky, blusey, folksy, anywayyouwant it band. McNellies was still packed as was 1492 . . . lots of cars in all the parking lots . . . Midtown is rockin' tonight.

BTW, S---t, P--s, F--k, C--t, C------ker, M-----F---er and T--s . . . Rest in peace George . . . you are the best and you added so much joy and laughter to our culture. I will miss you brother.

mecarr
06-28-2008, 07:29 AM
After the sushi restaurant opens up by 1492, then I think "that's it" for the forseeable future when it comes to restaurants, which I'm okay with since there'll be quite a selection. But now we need something in midtown other than restaurants, retail shops would be nice.

OkieBob
06-28-2008, 01:29 PM
i ate there for lunch yesterday with old downtown guy, spartan & cuatro de mayo... the food was good, but i was dissapointed with the decor and atmosphere. i thought it would look like a traditional irish pub (with all the wood and such).
i just felt that it was a cheap imitation of what i am used to Trinity Hall Irish Pub and Restaurant, Dallas, Texas - Failte & Welcome to our Pub (http://www.trinityhall.tv)
doubt i will go back.

Oh I loved Trinity Hall as well as the Dubliner when I lived in Dallas. The owner of The Dubliner is Ireish I think? Fergal or something like that.