REMEMBER...A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH MEANS CONDITIONS ARE
FAVORABLE FOR SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS IN AND CLOSE TO THE WATCH
AREA. PERSONS IN THESE AREAS SHOULD BE ON THE LOOKOUT FOR
THREATENING WEATHER CONDITIONS AND LISTEN FOR LATER STATEMENTS
AND POSSIBLE WARNINGS. SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS CAN AND OCCASIONALLY
DO PRODUCE TORNADOES.

OTHER WATCH INFORMATION...CONTINUE...WW 321...WW 322...WW
323...WW 324...

DISCUSSION...TSTMS ARE STARTING TO FORM OVER W CNTRL AND SW OK.
CURRENT CHARACTER/MOVEMENT OF THIS ACTIVITY SUGGEST THAT STORMS ARE
ROOTED ABOVE THE BOUNDARY LAYER. THE TSTMS MAY CONTINUE TO INCREASE
IN COVERAGE/STRENGTH AS FORCING FOR ASCENT INCREASES WITH CONTINUED
ESE MOTION OF UPR LVL IMPULSES...AND WITH NOCTURNAL INCREASE IN LLJ.
SETUP APPEARS AT LEAST CONDITIONALLY FAVORABLE FOR LOCALLY DMGG WIND
GUSTS / HEAT BURSTS...AND POSSIBLY SVR HAIL. ADDITIONAL STORMS...OR
A COMPLEX OF STORMS...MAY MOVE SSE INTO NRN OK FROM KS LATER THIS
EVE...POSING A FURTHER THREAT FOR HIGH WIND...SVR HAIL ...AND
POSSIBLY ISOLD TORNADOES.

AVIATION...A FEW SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS WITH HAIL SURFACE AND ALOFT
TO 2.5 INCHES. EXTREME TURBULENCE AND SURFACE WIND GUSTS TO 65
KNOTS. A FEW CUMULONIMBI WITH MAXIMUM TOPS TO 550. MEAN STORM
MOTION VECTOR 30025.

venture
05-30-2012, 05:42 PM
Watching Amarillo radar light up while enjoying 70 deg in Portland Oregon. 2200Z HRRR got it pretty good although a bit to the east.

Say venture79, your avatar sure looks like landing at pdx( portland, Or ) with Mt. Hood in the background. My second guess would be landing at SeaTac.

Miss the thunderstorms... Very quiet in Oregon.

Mike

Yeah HRRR is doing alright as usual. :) That is SeaTac with Rainier in the background.

venture
05-30-2012, 05:44 PM
Chat room is going at http://www.weatherspotlight.com/chat.html

If anyone has an issue getting in let me know via PM here. CoverItLive changed their system overnight and they are now wanting to charge like $45 a month instead of allow people to use it free with ads. So needless to say, I need to find a new software suite to use. LOL

OKCisOK4me
05-30-2012, 06:05 PM
The way it looks on radar, other than the lone storm west of the metro, it looks as if the majority of it will come through late tonight.

venture
05-30-2012, 06:14 PM
Main complex should be into OKC by right around Midnight.

Roadhawg
05-30-2012, 06:55 PM
Venture... is the chat room working? I haven't had a post show up in about 15 minutes and I refreshed a couple times.

Roadhawg
05-30-2012, 06:56 PM
ooops nevermind

sacolton
05-30-2012, 07:04 PM
Look at the size of that monster storm coming from the north! It's Stormageddon! (screams)

OKCisOK4me
05-30-2012, 10:25 PM
Lol

ljbab728
05-30-2012, 10:39 PM
It looks like the storm intenstiy has gone down considerably as it approaches the metro.

Bunty
05-31-2012, 12:09 AM
It might be good for a meteorological study as to why that storm system diminished so much before it could drop very deep into Oklahoma. Eventually, the storms weren't even following the gust front. The storms turned east and started drying up. However, the east side of it maintained some strength as it approached the Tulsa area.

Dustin
05-31-2012, 12:34 AM
http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/420240_10150735103385984_1719986891_n.jpg

bandnerd
05-31-2012, 06:13 AM
It might be good for a meteorological study as to why that storm system diminished so much before it could drop very deep into Oklahoma. Eventually, the storms weren't even following the gust front. The storms turned east and started drying up. However, the east side of it maintained some strength as it approached the Tulsa area.

Dry slot!

;)

venture
05-31-2012, 08:58 AM

Started to see some of this discussion come out from the SPC late last night. There was two ways it was going to go yesterday...

1) The Tuesday storms worked over the atmosphere so much that they removed most of the moisture for the storms to feed off of in Western and Central OK.
- or -
2) The dry atmosphere would aid in the ability for winds to pick up speed without having to put up with much resistance from a moisture rich atmosphere.

So like we've seen in the past, it is a very fine line to balance between. Luckily we only saw sporadic reports for 60-75 mph wind gusts as the line came through. Had we seen a bit more moisture return in northern OK, that would have assisted the complex in staying together. We still would have needed some dry air to assist with getting the wind speeds up. Luckily it was a bit too dry so we were able to avoid a derecho from forming. Everything else was in place for it to occur, except for that one little thing.

Kaye
05-31-2012, 09:30 AM
It just felt dryer yesterday than Tuesday. I'm very glad for the way it turned out, especially considering the damage caused by Tuesday's storms.

Easy180
05-31-2012, 06:05 PM
Was watching The Weather Channel last night at 9:00 and it played out exactly as their computer model timeline...Was glad to see it cause I had to catch up from two hours of sleep Tue night

venture
05-31-2012, 09:34 PM
Wait...they still show weather on The Weather Channel? :) Sorry, stopped watching it probably 10 years ago when they went over the top with their tv programming breaking away from actual weather coverage to series.

venture
05-31-2012, 11:48 PM
Quick blurb for tonight...

Tomorrow - Severe risk pretty marginal. Could see storms from the TX PH/SW KS roll through overnight as part of a complex. Some areas could see heavy rain.

Saturday - Slight risk of severe weather as another complex could form west and move SE over the state. More juice in the state as the atmosphere will be recovered by then from yesterday's front. Nothing outrageous just yet.

Longer range...GFS keeps us in a period of instability for the next week or so. Won't get into specifics right now, but could see at least an outside risk of severe weather somewhere in the state everyday through Monday the 11th (that as far as the current run has gone up to so far...rest still processing). It is almost as if our severe weather season was delayed about a month-ish...so our May will actually happen in June.

SoonerQueen
06-01-2012, 01:01 AM
All I want to request is that when planning the weather, let's cut out the hail. I can handle rain, thunderstorms, tornado warnings, high wind, but this softball size hail has to go.We drove the cars to Penn Square Mall parking garage to keep them safe, but the house has 5 broken windows and probably needs a new roof again. Oh well, the joys of living in OKC.lol

Easy180
06-01-2012, 04:04 AM
Wait...they still show weather on The Weather Channel? :) Sorry, stopped watching it probably 10 years ago when they went over the top with their tv programming breaking away from actual weather coverage to series.

Think it's only on for one hour a night lol

Roadhawg
06-01-2012, 07:05 AM
Just when I thought it was safe to take the top of the jeep down.