04-05-2012, 11:02 AM
development
|category1=Bricktown
|category2=Restaurants
|category3=Current
|category4=Bars
|
|project=Skinny Slims
|address=201 E. Main St. (http://g.co/maps/t3dyj)
|status=Opened 2013
|owner=
|cost=
|architect=
|start=
|finish=
|contractor=
|height=
|sq. feet=780
|acerage=.02
|other=
|
|image=http://www.okctalk.com/images/wikiphotos/skinnyslims1.jpg
|

Information & Latest News
Links
County Assessors Record (http://www.oklahomacounty.org/assessor/Searches/AN-R.asp?ACCOUNTNO=R020025200)
Website (http://skinnyslims.com/)
Gallery
Restaurant / Food Service
Restaurant Buildings

Spartan
04-05-2012, 11:11 AM
Cool! I always thought this building had such incredible potential.

Urbanized
04-05-2012, 11:14 AM
Sweet! I had noticed some work going on over there recently. Looks like a good addition. Glad to see that cool little building retained. Anything that would give Main some vibrancy and help tie BT and Deep Deuce together is welcome in my book.

Skyline
04-05-2012, 11:36 AM
Is this going to be another "Dollhouse" or Rok bar type of place?

J. Pitman
04-05-2012, 11:40 AM
Is this going to be another "Dollhouse" or Rok bar type of place?

Looks like a cool hole in wall neighborhood bar to me.

Larry OKC
04-05-2012, 11:56 AM
Interesting angle that seems to continue on in a direct line on the backside of the buildings to the left. Was there a road or something that dictated that angle sometime back?

betts
04-05-2012, 12:02 PM
I love that building. Excellent news!

Urbanized
04-05-2012, 12:53 PM
Interesting angle that seems to continue on in a direct line on the backside of the buildings to the left. Was there a road or something that dictated that angle sometime back?
Railroad tracks. The entire area behind the building, extending to Deep Deuce, was once a massive rail yard. The Walnut Street Bridge still has the historic locomotive blast shields installed on the underside. Preserving those was a part of the reconstruction of that bridge.

Rail is what created Bricktown (and to some extent OKC) in the first place.

kevinpate
04-05-2012, 01:48 PM
Looks like a cool hole in wall neighborhood bar to me.

Doesn't appear big enough to be anything but. No stage area in the drawing either (not there would be room for one in the first instance.) I've often worried someone would end up razing this and just put more parking in that sliver of space so this is very very good news. I prefer a smaller hole in da wall setting to a club setting any night.

Questor
04-05-2012, 06:53 PM
Yes, looks like a great place for a pub.

metro
04-05-2012, 10:50 PM
Cool! I always thought this building had such incredible potential.

This

oakhollow
04-06-2012, 09:45 AM
I've always thought the garage building, the silver building on the other side of the bridge, had a ton of potential for a cool little sports bar. If it's a nice day out open up the garage door for fresh air and leave it closed if its chilly or too windy. I think Main Street has tons of potential

dankrutka
04-06-2012, 10:12 AM
I've always thought the garage building, the silver building on the other side of the bridge, had a ton of potential for a cool little sports bar. If it's a nice day out open up the garage door for fresh air and leave it closed if its chilly or too windy. I think Main Street has tons of potential

I've always thought Main Street might be the last place in Bricktown that could develop a local feel (ala MidTown or Plaza) that you don't necessarily get in the rest of Bricktown.

Pete
04-07-2012, 09:06 AM
Really a tiny building; less than 30 seats including the barstools.

Also, note there is no kitchen -- just a bar and a cooler.

Still, looks like a cool little spot, especially the deck out front.

Spartan
04-07-2012, 11:25 AM
I've always thought Main Street might be the last place in Bricktown that could develop a local feel (ala MidTown or Plaza) that you don't necessarily get in the rest of Bricktown.

Definitely, it has great in-tact old fashioned character. The bridge and the tracks create some interesting spaces as well, such as this building that we're discussing.

mcca7596
04-07-2012, 12:57 PM

I've always thought the west end of Main (west of oklahoma) would be the best spot for a strip of national retailers (other than Automobile Alley).

betts
04-07-2012, 01:02 PM
I've always thought the west end of Main (west of oklahoma) would be the best spot for a strip of national retailers (other than Automobile Alley).

Agree completely.

king183
04-07-2012, 04:53 PM
Really a tiny building; less than 30 seats including the barstools.

Also, note there is no kitchen -- just a bar and a cooler.

Still, looks like a cool little spot, especially the deck out front.

I just drove by to see this building. It is definitely tiny. It seems like it will make an excellent neighborhood bar where you'll probably get to know everyone who frequents it.

metro
04-07-2012, 09:29 PM
I emailed Pete pcs of the building last night, hopefully he'll post soon.

ThomPaine
04-10-2012, 08:45 PM
http://skinnyslims.com/

Looks like they have one in Springfield, MO.

Two Yelp Reviews: http://www.yelp.com/biz/skinny-slims-springfield-2

GaryOKC6
04-11-2012, 09:07 AM
http://skinnyslims.com/

Looks like they have one in Springfield, MO.

Two Yelp Reviews: http://www.yelp.com/biz/skinny-slims-springfield-2

OKLAHOMA CITY – Skinny Slims Public House, an English-style pub with an extensive beer menu, is moving into a historic triangular building in Bricktown that has been vacant for years.

Pub owners Brad Hitchings and Ben Yore opened their first Skinny Slims in Springfield, Mo., a year ago. They settled on Bricktown as the ideal spot for a second pub after coming across the 805-square-foot brick building at 201 E. Main St. They also have plans to open a third pub in Denver.

Hitchings was busy this week doing remodeling work at the Bricktown building, which was built in 1920, according to the Oklahoma County assessor’s office. The building needs extensive construction to transform it into the cozy watering hole that Hitchings said he envisions – it has no electricity or water.

“All the landlord gave me is three walls and a roof,” he said.

Hitchings said he hopes to have Skinny Slims open in the next 60 days, with a small menu of food items and about 100 kinds of beer. The pub also will have a full bar and a large patio.

“It’s going to just be a place to hang out,” he said. “You put 10 people in here and it looks busy.”

No one seems to know much about the history of the small triangular building, but Hitchings has heard stories that it was once used as layover station for railroad workers.

Chad Elmore, sales associate for InterWest Realty, negotiated the Skinny Slims lease for building owner Larry Crowe. The space was last inhabited by a hot dog vendor more than 10 years ago, Elmore said.

“As soon as I showed them the space, they said ‘This is done, make it happen,” Elmore said. “It’s going to be a small cozy pub with a really warm feel to it.”

Skyline
04-11-2012, 09:18 AM
Good to know that the owners already have experience. Always ups the chances for success. Over the years Bricktown has had more than it's share of restaurants and bar owners that lacked the experience needed to survive the long haul.

Larry OKC
04-11-2012, 09:24 AM
805 sf...That IS a tiny place...smaller than my smallish 2 bed apartment...LOL

Pete
04-26-2012, 03:37 AM
From Metro:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/slim42512.jpg

jedicurt
04-26-2012, 09:53 AM
I looked at this building last night before the Thunder game... It sure is small, but makes me really curious as to how they are going to utilize the space! can't wait for this place to open

sooner88
04-26-2012, 11:31 AM
That building looks tiny. Could be a pretty nice spot to swing by a grab a drink before a game or concert

kevinpate
04-26-2012, 12:43 PM
I looked at this building last night before the Thunder game... It sure is small, but makes me really curious as to how they are going to utilize the space! can't wait for this place to open

The layout for the space shown back in post numero uno makes a lot of sense and maximizes the space as well as it can be. I'm not a big patio type person myself, but the one they plan certainly ought to help their bottom line by permitting more folk to enjoy part of an evening there.

mdeand
04-26-2012, 10:36 PM
Just think how little it will cost to heat and cool the place.

Corey
04-27-2012, 12:20 PM
Cool little building. Being it's such a short walk from Level, I'll be sure to check it out.

dankrutka
08-15-2012, 08:57 PM
What's the story on this place? I thought this could be a nice little connection between Deep Deuce and Bricktown...

BadBear
08-16-2012, 06:45 AM
They appear to have added a walk-in fridge on the west side of the building. It's covered with some wallpaper looking fake brick, it looks horrible. That is the only change I've seen however.

wschnitt
08-16-2012, 07:33 AM
They appear to have added a walk-in fridge on the west side of the building. It's covered with some wallpaper looking fake brick, it looks horrible. That is the only change I've seen however.

Work almost stopped on this for 2 months at least but activity has picked back up this week.

LakeEffect
08-16-2012, 07:33 AM
It's covered with some wallpaper looking fake brick, it looks horrible. That is the only change I've seen however.

Really? I don't recall administratively approving that. Hmmm. Now that I'm not staff, I can't check it either. I'll do some digging though.

wschnitt
08-16-2012, 07:35 AM
I do not think so either. I am going to go past there on my way home from the boathouse and will scope it out.

Pete
08-16-2012, 07:39 AM
Here's what was approved by the BT DRC:

http://www.okctalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1467&d=1336860980

LakeEffect
08-16-2012, 07:42 AM

Ok, I checked BCA-12-00001, the Administrative Approval for the work being done. It specifically says "erect a new walk-in cooler to the west of the existing structure. The walk-in cooler will be faced in brick to match the existing structure." And, for good measure, the plans specifically show brick, not a wall covering, around the walk-in.

LakeEffect
08-16-2012, 07:43 AM
There's also a detail drawing for the walk-in that shows full-depth brick.

Rover
08-16-2012, 11:19 AM
This is very much like one of my favorite Mexican restaurants at Manhattan Beach years ago. Seated about 10 inside and had tables outside. Small can still crank out good drinks/food.

BadBear
08-16-2012, 01:55 PM
I'll be walking by it later today, I'll check and maybe snap some pictures. I haven't inspected it closely, but I am positive the last time i walked by it was not real brick. Hopefully I'm wrong.

wschnitt
08-16-2012, 06:38 PM
Its bad. Basically they punched a hole in the wall about the same size as the fridge door. Then they covered the fridge in brick tiles and put the fridge up next to the building with the door facing interior so it can be opened from the inside. REALLY REALLY CRAPPY work. It is a commercial walk in fridge but still.

I was wrong, BadBear was correct.

Urbanized
08-20-2012, 11:43 AM
It's thin brick. That is, it is actual terra-cotta brick material, but in thin slices that are individually stuck to the wall and grouted, rather than physically stacked on one another in courses with mortar.

LakeEffect
08-20-2012, 12:07 PM
It's thin brick. That is, it is actual terra-cotta brick material, but in thin slices that are individually stuck to the wall and grouted, rather than physically stacked on one another in courses with mortar.

But it's still not what was presented to be the material...

Urbanized
08-20-2012, 02:04 PM
I wasn't defending or indicting, only reporting...

BoulderSooner
10-01-2012, 01:01 PM
This looks like it is just about ready to open. The rooftop patio is really coming along.

rooftop??

Pete
10-01-2012, 01:11 PM
It's just an enclosure, probably for HVAC equipment:

http://www.okctalk.com/attachments/urban-development-buildings/1468d1336860981-skinny-slims-skinnyslims4.jpg

BoulderSooner
10-01-2012, 01:14 PM
thanks pete

GaryOKC6
10-01-2012, 01:48 PM
Well at least they are doing something. I have been by there several times and there is never anyone there. It seems like this is taking forever for such a small space.

Pete
10-02-2012, 07:58 AM
From Metro:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/skinnyslims10112.jpg

Pete
10-02-2012, 09:33 AM
Yesterday, courtesy of Sid:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-PZQANauYMzE/UGsDTjtR4QI/AAAAAAAEZwY/HMyZkX2r-zg/s903/IMG_20121001_192154.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-y-h5_pZynDs/UGsDTu618zI/AAAAAAAEZwY/PSWxz2kTga8/s903/IMG_20121001_192319.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-t2Mm-fr3t4g/UGsDTo6nOhI/AAAAAAAEZwY/-HNov0uwBXI/s903/IMG_20121001_192333.jpg

HangryHippo
10-02-2012, 09:43 AM
While I'm excited at the prospect of a new establishment, two things come to mind when looking at these photos:

1) I hope they landscape
2) That looks to be some shoddy construction work

jedicurt
10-02-2012, 11:15 AM
While I'm excited at the prospect of a new establishment, two things come to mind when looking at these photos:

1) I hope they landscape
2) That looks to be some shoddy construction work

nice to know i wasn't the only person who thought both of those things when i saw the photos...

wsucougz
10-02-2012, 11:26 AM
Looks like they just sprayed a bunch of "great stuff" foam into the gap where the new cooler add-on meets the existing building, and the roof enclosure looks like absolute garbage. I hope it's taking a long time due to Bricktown pulling the plug on them.

fromdust
10-02-2012, 05:52 PM
Looks like they just sprayed a bunch of "great stuff" foam into the gap where the new cooler add-on meets the existing building, and the roof enclosure looks like absolute garbage. I hope it's taking a long time due to Bricktown pulling the plug on them.

you think the roof enclosure looks like garbage, but it looks like it's not done. it's just waiting to be bricked up.

Rover
10-02-2012, 06:07 PM
you think the roof enclosure looks like garbage, but it looks like it's not done. it's just waiting to be bricked up.

The approved drawings don't show it as brick...just cheap wood paneling.

fromdust
10-02-2012, 07:30 PM
The approved drawings don't show it as brick...just cheap wood paneling.

it sucks, haha

dankrutka
10-02-2012, 10:00 PM
Does anyone have any contact info for the group doing this restaurant. Now might be a good time to let them know that people are not happy with the quality of their work... and it could hurt business. OKCTalk pressure has been fairly effective in the recent past.

OSUPeterson
10-03-2012, 03:27 PM
Does anyone have any contact info for the group doing this restaurant. Now might be a good time to let them know that people are not happy with the quality of their work... and it could hurt business. OKCTalk pressure has been fairly effective in the recent past.

"Hi [Insert contact name], Im calling cause I saw pictures of your place that is still in the process of being remodeled on this local blog. Six people think it looks like crap. Fix it now or we will wage a holy forum war against you without you probably even knowing."

That will go over well...

OSUPeterson
10-03-2012, 03:28 PM
With that snarky comment out of the way, I would be surprised if they did not go over it with some finishing touches. Its not like they are opening tonight with it looking this way.

Pete
10-03-2012, 03:49 PM
I'm not sure the role of the design committee -- in this case, Bricktown -- once plans are approved.

I know the planning office sends out inspectors and my guess is that they continually check to make sure what is built matches the approved specs.

Cafeboeuf could probably educate us all on this process.

kevinpate
10-03-2012, 06:46 PM
... I know the planning office sends out inspectors and my guess is that they continually check to make sure what is built matches the approved specs.

Maybe I'm just cynical, but I don't think they have near enough manpower to continually check on things.