View Full Version : Vito's

LowRyter
03-13-2012, 06:09 PM
best Veal in town

greatest hostess in the State.

please don't hold my endorsement against her.

OKCTalker
03-13-2012, 10:50 PM
Cathy. Co-owner & Sean's wife. She's into hugs so you can hold it against her.

RadicalModerate
03-14-2012, 07:28 AM
We love Vito's.
It may be our favorite Italian Restaurant.
(And we love the Irish Pub next door--Sean's place--just as much.)

Never had a bad meal at either of them.

jbkrems
03-14-2012, 02:39 PM
I don't think the food at Vitos or the Irish Pub is any good. Both places are very bland to me. And, if I go to a restaurant and the owner/hostess wants to hug me... sorry if this sounds cold, but that's not professional to behave that way towards your guests.

RadicalModerate
03-14-2012, 02:47 PM
Jeez, jb . . .

I feel sorta sorry for you . . .
Especially with the recent demise of a couple of Denny's locations.

If the food is too "bland", wherever you wander, have you thought about carrying around a squirt bottle of that Rooster Sauce (S'riccha).
You haven't?

Destined for blandness purgatory i guess.

So . . . What are you whuppin' up fer St. Paddy's Day?
The standards are sorta bland. Y' know?

citizenkane
03-14-2012, 03:58 PM
I don't think the food at Vitos or the Irish Pub is any good. Both places are very bland to me. And, if I go to a restaurant and the owner/hostess wants to hug me... sorry if this sounds cold, but that's not professional to behave that way towards your guests.

I completely agree. I've been there 4 or 5 times and have never had a good meal. As you said, the food is very bland.

LowRyter
03-14-2012, 05:31 PM
wow, I like Sean and Cathy and love the food.

Did y'all try the veal? the reuben? what did you eat that was so bad?

perhaps, you might say where you do like to eat?

I know that this entire board is complete downer. I haven't read a post yet that wasn't ruined by someone.

jbkrems
03-14-2012, 10:07 PM
Radical Moderate: I go to a lot of restaurants that I enjoy with professional staff and food that has a lot of FLAVOR and is not bland. I don't need to bring my own sauce to any restaurant I patronize. St. Patrick's Day is Sat night this week; I have special plans that will remain private and not discussed here.

LowRyter: I did not try the veal; I do not like reubens, anywhere. Sorry. There are a lot of places I go and like; but that is not the subject of this particular thread. But, moreover, I do not like to go places where management or staff tries to be physical towards guests (e.g. giving hugs), that is not professional, nor is it appropriate, at any restaurant, except for handshakes or things like that.

LowRyter
03-14-2012, 10:25 PM
wow jb. you went our of your way to dis her without providing very much substance. You were encouraged to provide suggestions for other places and foods you like, so it was sorta "in subject".

So far as being "appropriate", prolly not appropriate to participate in any of my threads. I just don't like it when posters are so cold. It's so un warm, y'know?

anyway, good luck having that stick removed........

man, this board really sux.

ljbab728
03-14-2012, 10:32 PM
wow jb. you went our of your way to dis her without providing very much substance. You were encouraged to provide suggestions for other places and foods you like, so it was sorta "in subject".

So far as being "appropriate", prolly not appropriate to participate in any of my threads. I just don't like it when posters are so cold. It's so un warm, y'know?

anyway, good luck having that stick removed........

man, this board really sux.

No offense, LR, but if you came here looking for a place where everyone agrees and pats each other on the back, this isn't for you. Disagreements happen constantly and are encourgaged and allowed as long as no personal attacks are involved.

The moderators do try to keep each thread on subject but diversions do happen somtimes.

MikeOKC
03-14-2012, 10:37 PM
Kathy and Sean are two very nice people. I stopped in quite often at Sean's pub when it was up the street further north, but haven't been in for a while. I love the food at Vito's and am glad to think of it again as we're overdue for a Vito's night. It's nice to support a local business and two incredible people.

Btw LR, this board is a great place. Sure there are disagreements, how could there not be? But it's a nice group of people if you give us a chance.

jbkrems
03-15-2012, 01:56 AM
LowRyter: The admins to this board do not like the threads to be "hijacked" to become a different subject. I like to respect the rules around here. I have found Kathy to be too "touchy feely" for me; its not professional to be that way towards guests, and there are other restaurants I try not to patronize for similar reasons. The food at both restaurants was also very bland, to me. Maybe I ordered the wrong item (but I would NOT order a reuben anywhere, including Charlestons, but I go to Charlestons all the time, and their food is not bland at all). I am very picky about ordering veal and would not get it the first time anywhere, unless it was a veal chop.

Mike: I agree; Kathy & Sean are very nice people. But Kathy is too nice (hugging customers is not appropriate), and I'm just not a fan of their food or their style of hospitality which I find not professional. Like I said, their food can be kind of bland. But we can agree to disagree and not take it personally. Alright ?

Larry OKC
03-15-2012, 08:55 AM
Where is Vitos?

RadicalModerate
03-15-2012, 09:21 AM
West side of N. May Ave. just south of Grand (south of the Firestone store).
Shares an entrance with Sean Cummings Pub.

FritterGirl
03-15-2012, 09:56 AM
There are a lot of places I go and like; but that is not the subject of this particular thread. But, moreover, I do not like to go places where management or staff tries to be physical towards guests (e.g. giving hugs), that is not professional, nor is it appropriate, at any restaurant, except for handshakes or things like that.

I certainly respect your opinion, but I've only seen Kathy hug those people that she knows personally, or are long-time patrons. She's a charming, delightful person. As for it being appropriate, I believe it depends upon the context of the situation. She has been the hostess/owner of that business for many years and has a loyal patron base. If she is "touchy-feely" with them and they accept and reciprocate, I see no harm in the matter. Professional doesn't have to be shallow and cold.

jbkrems
03-15-2012, 10:03 AM
FritterGirl: This may surprise you, but I think Kathy tried or did hug me the first time I was there. I felt that was inappropriate; that's not professional, not for a first-time guest.

swosuknight
03-15-2012, 03:28 PM
Wow, I am glad I read these posts. I sure would hate to find myself in some establishment where the owners and staff were "too nice"!

RadicalModerate
03-16-2012, 07:38 AM
Probably just trying to atone for the "bland" food, in advance.

OKCTalker
03-16-2012, 10:42 AM
jbkrems had too many hugs and bland meals inflicted on him as a child, and this is how he's dealing with it.

jbkrems
03-16-2012, 03:53 PM
OKCtalker: That's not true. Well, maybe bland meals, but my parents gave me a lot of hugs, and I appreciate hugs from people I know and love. I don't appreciate hugs from people I really don't know, like restaurant owners and staff.

Larry OKC
03-19-2012, 09:46 AM
West side of N. May Ave. just south of Grand (south of the Firestone store).
Shares an entrance with Sean Cummings Pub.

Thanks for the info, will look for it the next time I am that way...know where the Firestone store is (but never been in)....haven't heard of Sean Cummings Pub either (but not a bar person)...LOL

Rover
03-26-2012, 07:55 PM
I certainly respect your opinion, but I've only seen Kathy hug those people that she knows personally, or are long-time patrons. She's a charming, delightful person. As for it being appropriate, I believe it depends upon the context of the situation. She has been the hostess/owner of that business for many years and has a loyal patron base. If she is "touchy-feely" with them and they accept and reciprocate, I see no harm in the matter. Professional doesn't have to be shallow and cold.
+1
Food is very good. Owners are delightful and local. This is the kind of place we should support.

MikeOKC
03-26-2012, 08:20 PM
+1
Food is very good. Owners are delightful and local. This is the kind of place we should support.

You make a very good point, Rover. Local, in this case, makes all the difference. Nobody at a chain restaurant is going to give three hoots if you're a regular - and might not even notice! I love Vito's, as I said earlier in the thread. Also, Sean's Irish Pub has great live music every night of the week - real Irish/Celtic, an incredible bagpiper plays regularly. Fun without being too LOUD.

Larry OKC
03-28-2012, 01:41 PM
Bagpipes can be played softly....who knew? :sofa:

kevinpate
03-28-2012, 09:37 PM
... Nobody at a chain restaurant is going to give three hoots if you're a regular - and might not even notice! ...

I don't understand where such thoughts arise from. We've routinely found great staff in both local chow shops and chain outlets, and that never surprised us. In part because we've both worked food industry in our younger days and in part because most chain outlets are staffed and managed by local folk, just like local owned shops.

kevinpate
03-28-2012, 09:38 PM
Bagpipes can be played softly....who knew? :sofa:

They make a nice ringtone for the phone too. I get some odd looks if my ringer is set on high though.

ctchandler
03-29-2012, 12:36 PM
Isn't Louie's a chain? They treat me like family every time I go in. I think it's all in owner/management style and they can be just as concerned about your business either way. They need customers to stay in business and local staff knows that.
C. T.

oneforone
03-30-2012, 04:20 AM
OKCtalker: That's not true. Well, maybe bland meals, but my parents gave me a lot of hugs, and I appreciate hugs from people I know and love. I don't appreciate hugs from people I really don't know, like restaurant owners and staff.

Well it could be worse... like maybe a punch in the face with every meal. I am sure you might be able to find a place in NYC ran by mobsters that would be happy to provide that kind of service.

On the other hand.... I think it's best to report to the staff when things don't taste so great. In most mom and pop places, they will offer to bring you something else provided you don't make an ask of yourself in the process.

The wife and I were at Old Chicago the other night and she politely noted to the staff that she didn't like her food. They brought her something else and only charged us for my plate and the drinks. I left the waitress a generous tip because she went to the effort to have the issue fixed.