View Full Version : DT Getting Ready for NBA Playoffs

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Pete
03-08-2012, 05:38 PM
Also for the Barons...

Wonder what Devon Tower will do? Perhaps fire up the LED lights??

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/thunderbanner.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/thunderbanner2.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/thunderbanner3.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/thunderbanner4.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/thunderbanner5.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/thunderbanner6.jpg

metro
03-08-2012, 09:14 PM
Great post Pete. Can't wait!!

MDot
03-08-2012, 09:15 PM
The Thunder banner on the Oklahoma Tower is new. Definately interested to see how that turns out.

I'm excited to see this stuff once it all goes up simply because it means it's that time of year again.

HOT ROD
03-08-2012, 09:34 PM
he^^ Yeah!!!

Pete
03-09-2012, 07:21 AM
That banner on Oklahoma Tower is going to be HUGE!

Really great to see such a coordinated effort by a bunch of different downtown owners/entities. There is lots to be said for the unifying power of pro sports franchise.

Jchaser405
03-09-2012, 08:20 AM
I'm glad the Barons are getting some love for their accomplishments. Huge year for OKC!

Skyline
03-09-2012, 08:23 AM
What nothing going up on First National Tower?

BDP
03-09-2012, 09:20 AM
What nothing going up on First National Tower?

Maybe a For Sale sign?

I kid.

They should just do blue and orange lights. That's cooler than any banner they could do, imo.

Bullbear
03-09-2012, 10:07 AM
Maybe a For Sale sign?

I kid.

They should just do blue and orange lights. That's cooler than any banner they could do, imo.

I agree some great lighting on the building would be awesome. the current lights however need replaced.. maybe in future "reno" they will get some great LED Color wash lights to change the top of the building with events and seasons.. I would love to see that

Pete
03-09-2012, 10:31 AM
Aren't the P180 lights all LED's? Is it possible to change the spectrum of them?

Not sure if they went with LED's for the new street lights (I know this was discussed) but even if they did, I'm sure they bought single-color fixtures.

OKCisOK4me
03-09-2012, 11:01 AM
Personally, I think that banner on the Oklahoma Tower looks gawdy....

I thought FNC just recently got new lights?? They rotate different colors as I've seen the tower lit in blue on the corners...

Bellaboo
03-09-2012, 12:17 PM
Personally, I think that banner on the Oklahoma Tower looks gawdy....

I doubt they cover the windows (and the vent) on the Oklahoma Tower. This banner has no deminsions on it like the others. Probably someone playing around.

MDot
03-09-2012, 12:24 PM
I doubt they cover the windows (and the vent) on the Oklahoma Tower. This banner has no deminsions on it like the others. Probably someone playing around.

If it does cover the windows, I would hate to be working in one of the offices that is covered.

BoulderSooner
03-09-2012, 12:52 PM

it does they just were not printed on the pic ... 144' by 180'

Pete
03-09-2012, 01:42 PM
I believe the Thunder actually pay for the banners.

I guess Chase wasn't interested.

Urbanized
03-09-2012, 02:45 PM
The banners covering windows are most likely similar to what is on bus wraps; you can see out but not in. When you're on the inside looking out it's like looking through a screened window. ACM@UCO had banners like this since inception covering the 4th floor windows. Though they recently replaced with more permanent signage on the brick on a couple of facades, the window-covering banner is still in place on the north facade. Looks fine from the inside.

BDP
03-09-2012, 02:50 PM

From what I've heard, it would have to be a banner of James Cotter himself for it to be considered. ; )

HOT ROD
03-09-2012, 11:07 PM
i remember during the 2010 Olympics, Vancouver had many skyscrapers wrapped. Of course, this is far more expensive than banners; so it depends on if OKC will get wraps or banners.

it would be a bit difficult to wrap Chase Tower due to all of the white beams that go up the entire building. Leadership and Oklahoma Tower are OBVIOUSLY the easiest to wrap.

Judging from the renderings, it looks like OKC will just get banners this time. But hopefully, as OKC Thunder continues to make the playoffs we can see a wrap or two for OK tower and Leadership.

I totally agree about the lighting of FNC, they should change colours of the lights and I'd like to see the beacon come back too. ... On that note, why isn't Sandridge required to have aviation market beacons on top? It sure would add to the skyline without them lighting their building IMO, as the beacons would at least help one identify the otherwise dark skyscraper. Ditto that for City Place and Leadership.

HOT ROD
03-09-2012, 11:09 PM
it IS great to see both of OKC's pro teams getting to the playoffs, and some LOVE. Although it is interesting that the Barons are getting banners on city owned buildings while Thunder's banners are on private towers. ...

Bellaboo
03-10-2012, 06:57 AM
I believe the Thunder actually pay for the banners.

The playoff banners from the Cox Center are recycled by the Thunder in the summer. I bought several of these this past fall. They cut the material to make a pretty cool laptop carrying bag. They sell these for $5.00 each at the Thunder store. These are some kind of vinyl, but look great with the different print patterns. They sow a small 'property of the OKC Thunder' patch on the corner of the case, with the recycled symbol. I bought 5 of them and gave away as Christmas gifts.

Spartan
03-10-2012, 11:38 AM
How do we lose to Cleveland while the city is gearing up downtown to get it ready for a deep run into the playoffs?

Lafferty Daniel
03-10-2012, 12:43 PM
How do we lose to Cleveland while the city is gearing up downtown to get it ready for a deep run into the playoffs?

The same way that Michael Jordan and the Bulls didn't win every single game they played.

Every team has off days. And it looked like we didn't care or have energy from the start.

kevinpate
03-10-2012, 01:47 PM
The playoff banners from the Cox Center are recycled by the Thunder in the summer. I bought several of these this past fall. They cut the material to make a pretty cool laptop carrying bag. They sell these for $5.00 each at the Thunder store. These are some kind of vinyl, but look great with the different print patterns. They sow a small 'property of the OKC Thunder' patch on the corner of the case, with the recycled symbol. I bought 5 of them and gave away as Christmas gifts.

Dinna know that. Cute lil' novelty gift idea.

metro
03-10-2012, 05:01 PM
The same way that Michael Jordan and the Bulls didn't win every single game they played.

Every team has off days. And it looked like we didn't care or have energy from the start.

Well said.

HOT ROD
03-11-2012, 06:42 PM
it still sucks to lose to Cleveland, AT HOME.

I love my hometown and absolutely love the THUNDER, but I get so sick and tired of the team not being consistent. To me, it just fuels the fire of the talking heads who already consistently try to AVOID anything positive about OKC and/or the Thunder. They are always quick to tout off 'chicago or miami' being the best in the NBA, best record in the NBA, and their games (along with those of Boston and LA). But when OKC actually IS the best or HAD the best home record, well - that didn't get a mention or if it did it was a secondary thought during the middle of a game (not before). Also, I noticed they are rather reluctant to promote OKC games (case in point, Monday's Dallas game didn't show up on the Friday, Saturday, nor Sunday NBA televised banner that they like to put up to showcase games of the week).

While I get sick of the talking heads and the behaviour of national broadcasters generally against OKC, our team (and to some degree, city) don't help the situation. If OKC would win consistently (and particularly, beat the teams we are supposed to instead of coming to the game lacking interest), then OKC would have the best record by far, the best home and away records, and that would FORCE the media to not only discuss OKC in a positive light but they would be forced to promote the best team (and not say anything particularly bad about it in the process. ...). Again, it seems as we shoot ourself in the foot and HELP them avoid OKC.

I wish Brooks and Co would have OKC living up to their potential. They are one of the youngest, fresh teams and now have playoff experience to win close games. Work on correcting the mistakes, as I have yet to see a 'perfectly played OKC game' this year. OKC wins, when one of Durant, Westbrook, or Harden has a big night. We don't win due to an offensive strategy (like triangle, pick-n-roll, or whatever half court offense), we win because the guy on isolation has a big night. In this regard, BARF-ley is correct and it is difficult to hear this when OKC has the best record (and has consistently been in at least the top 3 all season).

There was NO REASON for OKC to lose against CLE. They had a day off before, and were HOME. KD was disappointed, but channel that into getting a real offense!!! How about working a seamless offense where people rotate, we work the clock, and we move the ball inside and out, to try to get a good looking shot. Take the shot and get ready for the offensive board and PUTBACK!!! This is what Brooks should be coaching, instead of KD,Westbrook,Harden isolation plays while Perkins stands miles away looking all pissed and can't get a rebound or shoot the damn ball. .... I get so sick of the 'chunk it up and hope it goes in' jumpers that OKC does, play some darn ball.. ... Otherwise, I don't see us legitimately getting past Chicago or Miami, which is a darn shame since OKC really is the best team in the NBA.

you guys are making $ now, and Im so sick of our mistakes proving the idiot talking heads right. sorry for the rant, but I think it needed to be said. ...

dcsooner
03-11-2012, 06:53 PM
it still sucks to lose to Cleveland, AT HOME.

I love my hometown and absolutely love the THUNDER, but I get so sick and tired of the team not being consistent. To me, it just fuels the fire of the talking heads who already consistently try to AVOID anything positive about OKC and/or the Thunder. They are always quick to tout off 'chicago or miami' being the best in the NBA, best record in the NBA, and their games (along with those of Boston and LA). But when OKC actually IS the best or HAD the best home record, well - that didn't get a mention or if it did it was a secondary thought during the middle of a game (not before). Also, I noticed they are rather reluctant to promote OKC games (case in point, Monday's Dallas game didn't show up on the Friday, Saturday, nor Sunday NBA televised banner that they like to put up to showcase games of the week).

While I get sick of the talking heads and the behaviour of national broadcasters generally against OKC, our team (and to some degree, city) don't help the situation. If OKC would win consistently (and particularly, beat the teams we are supposed to instead of coming to the game lacking interest), then OKC would have the best record by far, the best home and away records, and that would FORCE the media to not only discuss OKC in a positive light but they would be forced to promote the best team (and not say anything particularly bad about it in the process. ...). Again, it seems as we shoot ourself in the foot and HELP them avoid OKC.

I wish Brooks and Co would have OKC living up to their potential. They are one of the youngest, fresh teams and now have playoff experience to win close games. Work on correcting the mistakes, as I have yet to see a 'perfectly played OKC game' this year. OKC wins, when one of Durant, Westbrook, or Harden has a big night. We don't win due to an offensive strategy (like triangle, pick-n-roll, or whatever half court offense), we win because the guy on isolation has a big night. In this regard, BARF-ley is correct and it is difficult to hear this when OKC has the best record (and has consistently been in at least the top 3 all season).

There was NO REASON for OKC to lose against CLE. They had a day off before, and were HOME. KD was disappointed, but channel that into getting a real offense!!! How about working a seamless offense where people rotate, we work the clock, and we move the ball inside and out, to try to get a good looking shot. Take the shot and get ready for the offensive board and PUTBACK!!! This is what Brooks should be coaching, instead of KD,Westbrook,Harden isolation plays while Perkins stands miles away looking all pissed and can't get a rebound or shoot the damn ball. .... I get so sick of the 'chunk it up and hope it goes in' jumpers that OKC does, play some darn ball.. ... Otherwise, I don't see us legitimately getting past Chicago or Miami, which is a darn shame since OKC really is the best team in the NBA.

you guys are making $ now, and Im so sick of our mistakes proving the idiot talking heads right. sorry for the rant, but I think it needed to be said. ...

HR,
Some of what you say, I agree with like relying on outside shooting, not real offensive philosohpy,however the fact that the national media is not all over our jock is not troublesome to me, at least not yet. Boston, Miami, Chicago, LA have all WON championships and have a legacy of winning. Except for Miami all have won multiple championships, and have earned the respect of the league. We are up and coming but we have only won 1 div title, haven't won any championships or even the conference> the regular season is great, but in the NBA what is done in the playoffs cements a teams lasting legacy

Snowman
03-11-2012, 07:10 PM
... To me, it just fuels the fire of the talking heads who already consistently try to AVOID anything positive about OKC and/or the Thunder. ...

While I get sick of the talking heads and the behaviour of national broadcasters generally against OKC, our team (and to some degree, city) don't help the situation.

The only thing you can expect the 'Talking Heads' to ever be kind to is large media markets. To the national broadcasters we are the least important audience in the league for them to packaging their product for.

HOT ROD
03-11-2012, 07:10 PM
I agree, but in all fairness - those championship teams from before are not the same Boston, Miami, Chicago, and LA that we have today. Yet the media are all over their jock at the expense of OKC. Even Dallas is complaining.

As I said, we don't help ourselves with our ONLY offense - isolation for the guy with the hot hand, who chunks up a prayer all of the time. Again, I prefer this methodology to be a last resort offense when the opposing team has diffused our NORMAL standard offensive rotation. Instead, OKC is depending on the talent way too much and letting coaching (hence offense/defense rotation) off the hook. OKC wins because we have by far the best talented team in the NBA - this is something the talking heads should be saying and OKC should be getting press for it. But instead, we get negatives because we DONT have an offense AND we are inconsisten with our isolation/hot hand; and rightfully so (as nobody could expect even Michael Jordan to show up every game; even though he did. ...)

I think we need to pressure Brooks and Co to implement a standard rotation for offense (and defense) that is the staple of our game. If that breaks down or is diffused by the competition, THEN we break out into the isolation and find the hot hand. THAT is a championship team regardless of talent, but if OKC implemented it then we would be certain to win multiple titles without having our talent tired and/or hurt.

HOT ROD
03-11-2012, 07:12 PM
I dont buy the large market argument, as the heads love Portland, Sacramento, Denver, and Indiana. AND memphis.

Nope, I chalk it up to OKC not living to our potential of effeciently using our talent and relying on isolation; thereby being inconsistent and therefore losing to teams we shouldn't (see 5 losses we've had so far).

Thundercitizen
03-11-2012, 07:31 PM
Lack of focus. The young guys are still growing up...rapidly. Discover another gear, then learn how to use it. They should be something like 35-5. When you're at the top, they love to find your weaknesses and tear your down.

HOT ROD
03-11-2012, 07:34 PM
I agree citizen, Im just saying WE as a team/city can get the offensive/coaching focus that memphis/denver seem to have - and would them be HUGELY successful so much that the talking heads would have NO CHOICE but to tout OKC instead of finding a way to 'dismiss' us.

jn1780
03-11-2012, 07:43 PM
Also for the Barons...

Wonder what Devon Tower will do? Perhaps fire up the LED lights??

Let one of those two guys who parachuted off the tower dress up in the Rumble outfit and have them do it again. LOL

dankrutka
03-11-2012, 07:48 PM
Does anyone in here realize that we are pretty much in a tie for the best winning percentage in the NBA? What consistency are you tallking about?!? Thunder fans are already turning into OU football fans... never happy.

(And trust me, I know the Thunder has some flaws, but there are so many ridiculous comments above...)

dankrutka
03-11-2012, 07:49 PM
I agree citizen, Im just saying WE as a team/city can get the offensive/coaching focus that memphis/denver seem to have - and would them be HUGELY successful so much that the talking heads would have NO CHOICE but to tout OKC instead of finding a way to 'dismiss' us.

WOW. Do you even follow the NBA?!? The biggest problems with these two teams IS THEIR LACK OF CONSISTENCY (look at their records). STEP. AWAY. FROM. THE. KEYBOARD.

Spartan
03-11-2012, 08:07 PM
Let one of those two guys who parachuted off the tower dress up in the Rumble outfit and have them do it again. LOL

+100

metro
03-11-2012, 08:13 PM
Wow. Can we keep this back to DT businesses supporting the team for playoffs and keep the on court drama in the sports section?

Lafferty Daniel
03-11-2012, 09:20 PM
Hot Rod: Are you an OSU or OU fan?

HOT ROD
03-11-2012, 09:23 PM
haha lol. Im a diehard OU fan.

Bullbear
03-11-2012, 09:42 PM
I don't get the complaints about the team. no team wins them all and we still have a great season and record going so why complain.. as far as other teams getting more coverage a lot of that has to do with BRAND. Those teams have built a brand with history behind it. We are still a new brand but up and coming and it takes some time. regardless of our record we wont get the instant respect because of our lack of brand recognition.

jn1780
03-11-2012, 10:25 PM
Isn't one of the reasons playoffs are a played in a series is because teams are rarely consistent? Maybe I'm way off base here.

I'll settle for a little bit of inconsistency rather than having a team at their peak if it means I can look forward to an even better team next year. Once your at your peak there's nowhere else to go but down. lol

Drake
03-11-2012, 11:24 PM
Good lord. This thread has gotten off topic.

Pressure Scoot Brooks into seeing the rotation you want to see? Seriously?

This is the NBA. ANYBODY can win. That Cleveland team has gone into Denver, OKC & Houston and won in the last week. Relax man. We are at the top of the NBA.

All that being said I like the stuff they are doing downtown

SoonerBoy18
03-11-2012, 11:33 PM
I have always fantasized about the Devon tower saying "Lets Go Thunder" in blue LED lighting across the top lol but thats impossible. But I really would louve to see the Chase tower with a banner similer to the Oklahoma tower

dankrutka
03-11-2012, 11:59 PM
I have always fantasized about the Devon tower saying "Lets Go Thunder" in blue LED lighting across the top lol but thats impossible. But I really would louve to see the Chase tower with a banner similer to the Oklahoma tower

Why is that impossible? It is my understanding that it will be able to stuff like that on the crowns. No?

Lafferty Daniel
03-12-2012, 07:09 AM
haha lol. Im a diehard OU fan.

This explains it.

OU fans are the most spoiled fanbase in the country. They've completely dominated the Big 12 (in football) since 2000 and yet their fans still complain about everything. This sucks because now we have to put up with those fans cheering for the Thunder too. Just relax. We have the best or second best record in the league. Also, it's basketball. Upsets happen. A lot actually (March Madness anyone?). There's a reason you play a series instead of just one game in the playoffs.

Also, we don't have our best defensive player (Sefolosha) and our back up point guard is out for the season. I'm surprised we still have one of the best records in the league with these two guys out.

If fans are complaining now...... good lord. It is going to be miserable putting up with these kinds of fans whenever Durant, Westbrook, etc aren't here anymore and we're under .500 and not going to the playoffs.

Bullbear
03-12-2012, 07:44 AM

Not impossible at all. pretty probable actually. The LED systems in buildings these days are able to scroll messages and graphics. two different buildings in Downtown Dallas do this for Mavs Games. So cross your fingers.

G.Walker
03-12-2012, 08:13 AM
it would be cool if Sandridge Tower or Chase Tower did some banners with images of the players, like this:

http://ajnba.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/la_e_clippers-buildings01jr_600.jpeg

dankrutka
03-12-2012, 08:32 AM
I don't think we should put banners of Clippers players on our buildings. ;)

Bellaboo
03-12-2012, 08:58 AM

ha ha ...

Just the facts
03-12-2012, 09:05 AM

2 of those 3 played home games in Oklahoma City.

BoulderSooner
03-12-2012, 09:32 AM
2 of those 3 played home games in Oklahoma City.

only 1 of the 3 ever played a HOME game in OKC

OklahomaNick
03-12-2012, 09:55 AM
There was NO REASON for OKC to lose against CLE.

HotRod, you speak as if you were not an NBA fan before 2008, like MOST OKC new NBA Fans. Bad nights happen to even professionals.. You can't tell me that you have never had a bad day at work, or a day where you were not motivated. Just please don't be such an irrational fan that you EXPECT to win EVERY game. Yes they should have beat Cleveland, but they didnt. Now move on..

Just the facts
03-12-2012, 09:58 AM
only 1 of the 3 ever played a HOME game in OKC

You're right, my mistake - Blake Griffin is from OKC but he attended high school in Edmond.

BDP
03-12-2012, 10:03 AM

In fact, the Chicago Bulls team with the most wins EVER did not win every game (72) and one of those losses came against the Toronto Raptors who finished with THE WORST RECORD IN THE LEAGUE that year.

Yes, many here do need to begin to realize the difference between professional and college sports, especially the difference between it and college football, which is really the biggest anomaly in all of sports in that it plays the smallest ratio of games to the number of teams in the league, and the teams get to intentionally schedule games against inferior competition and do not have to play multiple games against the very best teams in order to win a championship. There is no form of competition that should ever be compared to college football in terms of competitive structure. It's really ridiculous when you think about it.

Also, this schedule is crazy and I have no idea how these guys can even want to play every game they do. Talk about burn out.

SoonerBoy18
03-12-2012, 10:40 AM
HotRod, you speak as if you were not an NBA fan before 2008, like MOST OKC new NBA Fans. Bad nights happen to even professionals.. You can't tell me that you have never had a bad day at work, or a day where you were not motivated. Just please don't be such an irrational fan that you EXPECT to win EVERY game. Yes they should have beat Cleveland, but they didnt. Now move on..

I am guilty, I was not a die hard NBA fan before 2008, My favorite team was the Lakers because my dad is a Laker fan as well, but when we got the Thunder, thats when I became an nba fan, so yes its hard to see the Thunder lose to teams like Cleveland, like many other Thunder fans, we dont take losing to well because we are use to winning. Like how OU fans gets ticked off once the sooners lose a game in football

SoonerBoy18
03-12-2012, 10:45 AM
Why is that impossible? It is my understanding that it will be able to stuff like that on the crowns. No?

I dont know how they would be able to pul it off but hopefully they can

SoonerBoy18
03-12-2012, 12:27 PM
Even though we were not the first nba franchise to do the "blue outs, white outs, etc" but ever since we played the lakers in the 1st round, lots of nba teams started doing what OKC did by putting the same shirts in the seats, and I even notice the Atlanta fans were "copying" thunder fans by standing until the hawks make their first basket. So is it true when I say, No other NBA city supports their team more than Oklahoma City?

Lafferty Daniel
03-12-2012, 01:17 PM
Even though we were not the first nba franchise to do the "blue outs, white outs, etc" but ever since we played the lakers in the 1st round, lots of nba teams started doing what OKC did by putting the same shirts in the seats, and I even notice the Atlanta fans were "copying" thunder fans by standing until the hawks make their first basket. So is it true when I say, No other NBA city supports their team more than Oklahoma City?

I'm guessing you're pretty young. There are tons of teams who stand until the first basket is made. We did it when I was at OSU, which was before the Thunder got here, and they did it long before I was there.

BDP
03-12-2012, 04:14 PM
I'm guessing you're pretty young. There are tons of teams who stand until the first basket is made. We did it when I was at OSU, which was before the Thunder got here, and they did it long before I was there.

If you're talking college sports, then there are many teams who stand the whole game for much of the season. This generally depends on where the school seats their students and what kind of tradition they have.

Now, in the NBA, not so much.

jn1780
03-12-2012, 04:33 PM
Not impossible at all. pretty probable actually. The LED systems in buildings these days are able to scroll messages and graphics. two different buildings in Downtown Dallas do this for Mavs Games. So cross your fingers.

I don't really see how they can spell something out when all the LED's are lined up vertically in the "fins" sticking out from the cladding.

BlackmoreRulz
03-12-2012, 05:17 PM
Have these LED's been illuminated yet? Are there any pics of them? I looked at the Tower thread but gave up after about 50 pages or so...