View Full Version : DT Getting Ready for NBA Playoffs

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

jn1780
04-21-2012, 05:08 PM
Might as well attack small town businesses promoting their local highschool teams while your at it. We all know how much of a slippery slope that is.

Double Edge
04-21-2012, 05:56 PM
Might as well attack small town businesses promoting their local highschool teams while your at it. We all know how much of a slippery slope that is.

Right. All those Thunder players are public servants volunteering to play on the public owned team.

Lafferty Daniel
04-21-2012, 06:06 PM
Is this real life?

Just the facts
04-21-2012, 06:19 PM
It took DE a while but the truth finally came out. He got denied for a sign and therefore thinks everyone else should be denied. DE is going to soil himeself when he see the 17 giant 20'X30' banners of Thunder players hanging on the side of Chesapeake Arena.

Lafferty Daniel
04-21-2012, 06:30 PM
It took DE a while but the truth finally came out. He got denied for a sign and therefore thinks everyone else should be denied. DE is going to soil himeself when he see the 17 giant 20'X30' banners of Thunder players hanging on the side of Chesapeake Arena.

haha, yup. Not too mention the one on Oklahoma tower and the crosswalks. Someone is gonna be piiiiiiissed.

Double Edge
04-21-2012, 07:09 PM
Wrong. I did not get denied a sign. I have been through the process more than once getting signs approved to know we have codes and to understand why... zoning, planning, city council etc. (As well as PUDs SPUDs and many building permits.) You want giant private advertising hanging above the city on the sides of buildings... fine, get ready to let every business do the same. Were I in the outdoor advertising business or the event promotion business I've be licking my chops over this.

betts
04-21-2012, 07:16 PM
Wrong. I did not get denied a sign. I have been through the process more than once getting signs approved to know we have codes and to understand why... zoning, planning, city council etc. You want giant private advertising hanging above the city on the sides of buildings... fine, get ready to let every business do the same. Were I in the outdoor advertising business or the event promotion business I've be licking my chops over this.

They've had three years to lick their chops and we haven't heard a thing. I suspect most businesses in OKC are proud of the Thunder, are enjoying their success and don't see this as "advertising" or see any correlation to business practices. Rather, it's a celebration of accomplishment that has given a lot of people a lot of enjoyment.

Spartan
04-21-2012, 07:25 PM
I think Double Edge is missing the point. He seems to be arguing more against the over-hyping of professional sports in a culture that ravenously eats up sports idols but doesn't give academics, philosophers, artists, etc the same respect. I just got caught up on watching Portlandia, so I feel like I'm at one with this train of thought.

However, it completely overlooks the fact that the Thunder do have excellent community relations, unlike many pro teams, and right now OKC and Thunder pride are intrinsically combined. I don't think this is the place for a moralistic argument against the excesses of pro sports mania, when the Thunder are clearly one of the more heart-warming examples of that (everyone loves an underdog, especially when you can claim ties).

I don't think Budweiser is a good counterexample, but for instance, the Dutch feel very strongly about the Amstel beer brand, ergo Holland is plastered in Amstel advertising, and it does seem to border a little bit on community relations. Same with Coca Cola in Atlanta or Target in Minneapolis. In an economic sense, that's all pure advertising, even if it is still disguised in a way that also benefits community relations.

Just the facts
04-21-2012, 08:44 PM
Wrong. I did not get denied a sign. I have been through the process more than once getting signs approved to know we have codes and to understand why... zoning, planning, city council etc. (As well as PUDs SPUDs and many building permits.) You want giant private advertising hanging above the city on the sides of buildings... fine, get ready to let every business do the same. Were I in the outdoor advertising business or the event promotion business I've be licking my chops over this.

I know downtown has its own zoning standards that don't apply to the rest of the city so if someone came up with something that looked good and was appropriate on the side of a tall building I would probably support it. In fact, I wish they would animate it and throw in some LED lights or neon. I would also like to see someone do the 3D projection stuff on one of the buildings.

34IkhwE95e8

skanaly
04-21-2012, 09:19 PM
That is incredible, very cool!

BDP
04-22-2012, 10:40 AM
This is between two private entities agreeing to put up a banner on private property -- with private dollars.

Well, that's kind of a stretch. There is a whole lot about the thunder that is far from private.

And I can't figure out if you don't like large outdoor advertising or you just don't like that you can't do it too. I can understand both arguments, but not really at the same time. Probably the best thing to do would be to ask the design review committee for your business's district for a variance. If you don't have a review committee in your district, then here's an opportunity to start one yourself.

In any event it would be very easy for the city to write code that restricted the size and type of outdoor adverting and include exceptions for ventures affiliated with the cit (of which the Thunder is one, any way you look at it) or for the Thunder specifically. I wouldn't worry about it getting out of hand.

catch22
04-22-2012, 01:12 PM
Well, that's kind of a stretch. There is a whole lot about the thunder that is far from private.

And I can't figure out if you don't like large outdoor advertising or you just don't like that you can't do it too. I can understand both arguments, but not really at the same time. Probably the best thing to do would be to ask the design review committee for your business's district for a variance. If you don't have a review committee in your district, then here's an opportunity to start one yourself.

In any event it would be very easy for the city to write code that restricted the size and type of outdoor adverting and include exceptions for ventures affiliated with the cit (of which the Thunder is one, any way you look at it) or for the Thunder specifically. I wouldn't worry about it getting out of hand.

The city is not paying for it that is my point. Sure other parts of the Thunder may have been helped by public monies...but it is still a private entity. Most large private businesses have received benefit from local or even federal governments, does not make them a government run company.

Also, maybe you misunderstood my post but I am in full favor of the banners, not sure why this post was aimed at me.

Double Edge
04-22-2012, 01:29 PM
Private entity to private entity does not matter one bit. We have ordinances that deal with signs, billboards, advertising murals. You have to comply or get a variance, which they apparently did. If large signs, billboards and other advertising were generally allowed, which they aren't, downtown would be covered in them.

No, I do not seek to do this at my business and I do not want to see it in other parts of the city, which is why I was appalled to physically see it going up, especially when I know the standards and ordinances for the city were to not allow this type of thing.

This does not meet the former standard. It is a variance in every sense of the word.

Snowman
04-22-2012, 01:33 PM
Private entity to private entity does not matter one bit. We have ordinances that deal with signs, billboards, advertising murals. You have to comply or get a variance, which they apparently did. If large signs, billboards and other advertising were generally allowed, which they aren't, downtown would be covered in them.

No, I do not seek to do this at my business and I do not want to see it in other parts of the city, which is why I was appalled to physically see it going up, especially when I know the standards and ordinances for the city were to not allow this type of thing.

You did not even notice them the last several years this has been done and are now appalled.

Double Edge
04-22-2012, 01:36 PM
You did not even notice them the last several years this has been done and are now appalled.

your point? I should police the activities of the Thunder more? I should go downtown more? what?

Pete
04-22-2012, 01:41 PM
There were public hearings where these variances were granted. Too late to do anything about it now.

Next year, go to the Downtown Design Review Committee and raise your concerns.

And if you have legitimate concerns about this sort of thing in the future, pay attention to their meeting agendas which are always posted on-line and in advance.

Double Edge
04-22-2012, 01:43 PM
I just might do that, and in the meanwhile I'll voice my opposition and raise awareness as I feel the need.

betts
04-22-2012, 05:48 PM
To me, it's a delightful sight when I'm out on my stoop. It means the playoffs are coming soon and that we're in. So, as a downtown resident, I appreciate the visual celebration of our team's success. I'll be happy to tell the DDRC my opinion as well.

Easy180
04-22-2012, 06:05 PM
Man if sports banners cause some to get upset then I'm thinking life is good round here

Other countries worry about shelter and food and we worry about our skyscrapers displaying banners lol...Let's all take a moment and thank our lucky stars

MDot
04-22-2012, 06:18 PM
Man if sports banners cause some to get upset then I'm thinking life is good round here

Other countries worry about shelter and food and we worry about our skyscrapers displaying banners lol...Let's all take a moment and thank our lucky stars

The truth.

Double Edge
04-22-2012, 06:45 PM

Life is good. How much do some people (fans) spend to pay for those banners, not to mention make the Thunder payroll? As for me, I have enough to enjoy lunch downtown on Saturday like I was when I saw this but maybe I'll do that elsewhere and let the Thunder fans have it.

Come to think of it, the last time I dropped in prior on a Saturday afternoon a game let out just as I got to Sheridan and Reno. I can do without that too. Too many other placed to spend my money.

Cooper_GOIVM
04-22-2012, 06:56 PM
http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/994/38172775.jpg
By coopross81 (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/coopross81) at 2012-04-21

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/8858/13110437.jpg
By coopross81 (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/coopross81) at 2012-04-21

Just the facts
04-22-2012, 07:03 PM

The 1%ers and their problems.

BDP
04-23-2012, 10:21 AM
Also, maybe you misunderstood my post but I am in full favor of the banners, not sure why this post was aimed at me.

Sorry. Bad aim on my part. I think I confused the post as being authored by Double Edge.

But I do think the Thunder's status as a wholly private venture is pretty blurry. It is run that way, but they're not working off any of the public investment that made it possible in any direct way. I'm not saying it wasn't a great and worthwhile investment by the people of the city or that the city does not receive a ton of indirect economic benefit from it, I'm just saying that the Thunder would not exist without public investment and that should be considered, imo.

Larry OKC
04-23-2012, 10:30 AM
They put all those Thunder banners up last year and I believe the year before without creating any problems.

I think everyone understands the difference between promotion a community-based sports team and advertising for a product.
Sorry, but respectfully disagree on this as it is a privately owned, for profit business. While the community paid for their place of business, the City has no ownership stake in the team or profit sharing agreement (like we did with the Hornets). This is not to say that the City doesn't get anything from it (like the "free" advertising it gets). These banners are advertising a product just like any other advertising. In this case the product is the Thunder.

I understand where DE is coming from, and the point he is making is, if rules/standards exist, they need to be applied fairly. Just as when they were debating restrictions on brightness, square footage etc of outdoor electronic display signs. Do those same rules/regulations apply to the new signage put on the Arena? Or did the City make themselves exempt from the rules they are passing on others (not uncommon for folks in power to do this, no matter if it is local, state or federal).

Bellaboo
04-23-2012, 10:32 AM
Life is good. How much do some people (fans) spend to pay for those banners, not to mention make the Thunder payroll? As for me, I have enough to enjoy lunch downtown on Saturday like I was when I saw this but maybe I'll do that elsewhere and let the Thunder fans have it.

Come to think of it, the last time I dropped in prior on a Saturday afternoon a game let out just as I got to Sheridan and Reno. I can do without that too. Too many other placed to spend my money.

I doubt anyone will miss your money, especially during the playoffs when you'd just be in the way. LOL

BoulderSooner
04-23-2012, 10:36 AM
Sorry, but respectfully disagree on this as it is a privately owned, for profit business. While the community paid for their place of business, the City has no ownership stake in the team or profit sharing agreement (like we did with the Hornets). This is not to say that the City doesn't get anything from it (like the "free" advertising it gets). These banners are advertising a product just like any other advertising. In this case the product is the Thunder.

I understand where DE is coming from, and the point he is making is, if rules/standards exist, they need to be applied fairly. Just as when they were debating restrictions on brightness, square footage etc of outdoor electronic display signs. Do those same rules/regulations apply to the new signage put on the Arena? Or did the City make themselves exempt from the rules they are passing on others (not uncommon for folks in power to do this, no matter if it is local, state or federal).

the city had to get a variance from the board of adjustment ..for the arena video board .. just like the brewers/tyler media had to get one for their ad boards going into bricktown

Double Edge
04-23-2012, 10:50 AM
I doubt anyone will miss your money, especially during the playoffs when you'd just be in the way. LOL

Exactly. Thunder owners and fans are what matter!

kevinpate
04-23-2012, 11:12 AM

Nah. If that were true,they'd be exempted from the need to get a variance and keggers or at least rootbeer parties could be had anytime of any day along Reno with fans or owners shutting down the street without asking anyone else ahead of time.

I get it, you don't like the big banners, but sheesh, they did what anyone would have to do to ... they asked for and received approval via a reasonably well known variance process. I imagine if the Heart Walk this past weekend had the funding, they could of done the same thing and put up some honking big banners round town, though I would hope that's never seen as the best use of their funds.

Bellaboo
04-23-2012, 11:38 AM

I'm a fan so maybe so.........................

Double Edge
04-23-2012, 11:46 AM
I'm a fan so maybe so.........................

I could have guessed that...

Nah. If that were true,they'd be exempted from the need to get a variance and keggers or at least rootbeer parties could be had anytime of any day along Reno with fans or owners shutting down the street without asking anyone else ahead of time.

They need to be able to deny what they don't support, even if it doesn't stand up to close scrutiny or a legal test. It's all good...until it isn't.

Bellaboo
04-23-2012, 01:19 PM
I could have guessed that...

They need to be able to deny what they don't support, even if it doesn't stand up to close scrutiny or a legal test. It's all good...until it isn't.

If I understand it correctly, the Thunder impacts the city to the tune of a million bucks every time a game is played here. The city hopes the Thunder will play a 7 game series 4 times during the playoffs. A little inconvience for the non fan isn't much of a concern for them. Now after the season is over, they'd like you to come back.

mrktguy29
04-23-2012, 01:49 PM
This thread has become more comical than the Mystery Tower thread. I needed this on a Monday.

Double Edge
04-23-2012, 01:51 PM
I'm glad we have a major league team here and recognize the economic impact. Likewise, I've voted for all the maps projects and have paid my share in tax money to help make that happen. You're welcome.

Double Edge
04-23-2012, 01:56 PM
That doesn't mean I approve of you wagging from the rooftops whatever it is you do in the privacy of that arena.

jedicurt
04-23-2012, 02:07 PM
That doesn't mean I approve of you wagging from the rooftops whatever it is you do in the privacy of that arena.

but i don't think the owner of a building needs your approval to put whatever they want on their building... if they work with the Thunder and want to put this on their building, then who are you to stop them? now if they were putting them on publicly owned buildings, i would think you have something to complain about

Bellaboo
04-23-2012, 02:24 PM
but i don't think the owner of a building needs your approval to put whatever they want on their building... if they work with the Thunder and want to put this on their building, then who are you to stop them? now if they were putting them on publicly owned buildings, i would think you have something to complain about

You can't make everyone happy, some folks just complain to complain. I call it the misery index of a person.

Double Edge
04-23-2012, 02:29 PM
You can't make everyone happy, some folks just complain to complain. I call it the misery index of a person.

Some complain about issues, other, such as yourself, only complain about other posters.

Double Edge
04-23-2012, 02:29 PM

You might back up a couple of dozen posts and catch up. We have ordinances, this is a variance to the standards, etc.

Bellaboo
04-23-2012, 02:33 PM
Some complain about issues, other, such as yourself, only complain about other posters.

You don't understand, but you are an issue.

Double Edge
04-23-2012, 02:36 PM
You don't understand, but you are an issue.

Just not the topic of this thread. But you never address the topic, just take shots at other people. Maybe you should start a thread about other posters on the board and go at it? Don't think Pete would approve but your attacks seem to always stay up.

Bellaboo
04-23-2012, 02:42 PM
Just not the topic of this thread. But you never address the topic, just take shots at other people. Maybe you should start a thread about other posters on the board and go at it? Don't think Pete would approve but your attacks seem to always stay up.

Neither of us are probably that 'bad of a guy'......... let's just move on, and call it a difference of opinion.

JWil
04-23-2012, 03:18 PM
Is this real life?

This is what I call a "mind blown" thread, because, well, wow...

http://gifninja.com/animatedgifs/4566/mind-blown.gif

sroberts24
04-23-2012, 03:26 PM
This has got to be a joke.... this is what happens, 1 bad apple detroys it for everybody else. Watch this guy is going to cry then the city is going to regulate it and we won't get to see our beloved Thunder signage on our beloved buildings!

Double Edge
04-23-2012, 03:35 PM
This has got to be a joke.... this is what happens, 1 bad apple detroys it for everybody else. Watch this guy is going to cry then the city is going to regulate it and we won't get to see our beloved Thunder signage on our beloved buildings!

Isn't it a terrible thing. The Thunder will never win another game now and OKC will be known through-out the sports world as the City Without Tacky Sports Banners.

Bullbear
04-23-2012, 03:37 PM

well now that we have that cleared up.. back to the task at hand.. BRING ON THE BANNERS!!

Lafferty Daniel
04-23-2012, 05:10 PM
Isn't it a terrible thing. The Thunder will never win another game now and OKC will be known through-out the sports world as the City Without Tacky Sports Banners.

They're so tacky that it took someone who's been on OKCTalk for almost 6 years and has 4,700+ posts almost three years to notice them.

Snowman
04-23-2012, 06:11 PM

Given ESPN & TNT's track record with showing OKC footage we would be lucky if any shots of the city are from this year, let alone within a month of the game.

SOONER8693
04-23-2012, 06:27 PM
This thread has become more comical than the Mystery Tower thread. I needed this on a Monday.
Bingo. I keep checking this thread to see when Mr. Double Edge says, "April Fools" or "Gotcha, I was just messin with you guys". Apparently he/she/it is as freakin bizarre as the posts from he/she/it.

Double Edge
04-23-2012, 06:55 PM
Dude, I'm the baddest banner killing apple of all time. Totally serious.

Maybe I'll drop a dime to the Billboard Liberation Front or Ron English. No the REAL Ron English, not the sports guy.

kevinpate
04-23-2012, 07:31 PM
... Watch this guy is going to cry then the city is going to regulate it and we won't get to see our beloved Thunder signage on our beloved buildings!

Nope. City already regulates it. Doing the banners requires seeking and receiving a variance from the normal status of all things signage. So don't fret none. It's all been above board and high on the skyline to boot. DE just either never noticed them in the past or maybe dinna care enough to mention it bugged him back then too.

Either way, ain't nuttin' but a thang. Maybe once the Riverfront is further along, someone will seek and get an approval to wrap the south bank windscreen in ads as well. It could happen.

dankrutka
04-23-2012, 08:38 PM
Dude, I'm the baddest banner killing apple of all time. Totally serious.

Maybe I'll drop a dime to the Billboard Liberation Front or Ron English. No the REAL Ron English, not the sports guy.

Let it go. You have your opinion. LITERALLY everyone disagrees with you. Go write your letter and let's move on...

warreng88
04-23-2012, 08:53 PM
This thread has gotten as ridiculous as the Not the Maps people or the guy who said you couldn't see south coming off Penn off the new I-40.

jedicurt
04-23-2012, 08:56 PM
You might back up a couple of dozen posts and catch up. We have ordinances, this is a variance to the standards, etc.

no need to catch up, they got said variance approved through the necessary channels... i did not say that they didn't needed approval... i said that they didn't need YOUR approval

Double Edge
04-23-2012, 09:40 PM
no need to catch up, they got said variance approved through the necessary channels... i did not say that they didn't needed approval... i said that they didn't need YOUR approval

Correct. They don't need my approval and they don't have it.

jedicurt
04-23-2012, 10:04 PM
Correct. They don't need my approval and they don't have it.

Great, then there is nothing else to discuss... might as well end this forum thread right here

Double Edge
04-24-2012, 07:10 AM
That usually happens on forums by itself after people have said all they have to say.

Yes, under some governance, government approval means the citizens can no longer speak against an issue. That's not the case in the U.S.

Skyline
04-25-2012, 01:52 PM
I'm not sure this is a real pic but someone sent this pic to me.

Lafferty Daniel
04-25-2012, 02:52 PM
I'm not sure this is a real pic but someone sent this pic to me.

It's real. Saw it yesterday when I was walking to the game. Looks great!

onthestrip
04-25-2012, 03:12 PM
Cool, they put a banner on it. It's still an eyesore. Maybe next year for the playoffs they will replace the windows...