View Full Version : Downtown Shuttle Service

G.Walker
03-06-2012, 07:28 AM
As a poor college student at OU in the past, I didn't want to fork over $230/yr for a parking permit on campus, and then not be able to find a parking spot on campus, so I utilized their free shuttle service. I was able to park at Lloyd Noble Center, and a shuttle would pick me up and drop me off at a central location on campus. The shuttle would run in 10min intervals, and it was completely free.

I was wondering if this same service could apply for downtown workers. With parking being a problem in downtown, and with new garages years out from being completed. I was wondering if the City could implement a free shuttle service to downtown as it would free up garage space downtown, and help alleviate some parking issues in the short term.

First, the city would need to acquire a huge parking lot to use, so workers can park and ride. Just off the top of my head, I know there is a major unused surface parking on Lincoln Boulevard, directly south of Lincoln Plaza, its the parking lot just north of the Oklahoma County Election Board parking lot. This lot could easily house hundreds of vehicles, which could help alleviate some parking congestion downtown. This would be great for downtown workers who commute from north Oklahoma City and Edmond, as Lincoln has easy access to I-44.

The City could designate a few buses for the shuttle service to run in 15min intervals, and run from 7a - 7p, and it could be completely free, funded by the City.

Again, I am not saying this will solve the problem, but help alleviate the problem. Of course the city would have to spend a little money to upgrade the parking lot, but I just think it would be a cheap short term fix to a major problem. Just an idea....

So Kerry, do I have your stamp of approval? lol...

metro
03-06-2012, 07:36 AM
Also known as the downtown trolley system which already is free?

G.Walker
03-06-2012, 07:52 AM
Also known as the downtown trolley system which already is free?

I am aware of that, but its more for tourists, and it services downtown only. The people still have to park downtown, to utilize the trolley service. I am talking about avoiding downtown completely. I was thinking more of a park and ride, for downtown workers, would live in suburbs, etc.

Just the facts
03-06-2012, 08:03 AM
Doesn't the Downtown Trolley just move people around that are already downtown? I think this would be a good temporary solution.

G.Walker
03-06-2012, 08:07 AM
Doesn't the Downtown Trolley just move people around that are already downtown? I think this would be a good temporary solution.

The people still have to park downtown, to utilize the trolley service. I am talking about avoiding downtown completely

Just the facts
03-06-2012, 08:12 AM
The people still have to park downtown, to utilize the trolley service. I am talking about avoiding downtown completely

I understand - I was quesioning Metro's comment.

G.Walker
03-06-2012, 08:17 AM
There is also a lot of vacant land on west Reno, west of 1-235, that the City can make into a large surface parking lot for park and ride, to service Midwest City, Norman/Moore commuters...

Bellaboo
03-06-2012, 11:02 AM
Park at the fairgrounds, charge 2 dollars a day, would cover a needed police prescence...would be cheaper than driving on in and paying for parking.

Just the facts
03-06-2012, 11:40 AM
Park at the fairgrounds, charge 2 dollars a day, would cover a needed police prescence...would be cheaper than driving on in and paying for parking.

Except instead of bus run a train back and forth. Then bam - you have commuter rail. The only problem is that there is a phenomenon that people won't changes modes of transportation in large numbers. Sadly, I can't remember what it is called - but basically, once someone is driving in a car they will keep driving to their final destination. That is why for mass transit to be successful each trip needs to start and end on foot.

soonermike81
03-06-2012, 12:34 PM
I think something similar to Denver's Free MallRide would be great for OKC.

http://www.rtd-denver.com/FREEMallRide.shtml

G.Walker
03-06-2012, 01:06 PM
The Crossroads Mall parking lot would be a good area for park and ride shuttle service to downtown, with minimal upgrades to the parking lot. They would just need to tighten up security in the parking lot, but it would work, great for Norman/Moore commuters!

Bellaboo
03-06-2012, 01:17 PM
The Crossroads Mall parking lot would be a good area for park and ride shuttle service to downtown, with minimal upgrades to the parking lot. They would just need to tighten up security in the parking lot, but it would work, great for Norman/Moore commuters!

I had a stock broker who for years would drive from Piedmont to a NW OKC parking lot, catch the bus both directions to downtown. He had his own park and ride but didn't pay to park.

Just the facts
03-06-2012, 01:18 PM
I think something similar to Denver's Free MallRide would be great for OKC.

http://www.rtd-denver.com/FREEMallRide.shtml

Downtown OKC already has it - and it is free to ride.

http://www.gometro.org/trolley

Here is the route map

http://www.gometro.org/Websites/gometro/Images/Route%20Maps/Downtown%20Map.pdf

Questor
03-06-2012, 08:01 PM
Wow, this is the first I have heard about this (the blue line is free). It is surprising to me that this hasn't been publicized more.

kevinpate
03-06-2012, 08:09 PM
the DT trolly has been free for about 18 months, maybe more.

Lauri101
03-14-2012, 05:42 AM
Yes its free and great for lunch or for DT visitors, but not employee friendly. Operating hours don't begin until 10 AM.
Hopefully, we'll be able to use again soon - right now, the detours are so convoluted its been difficult to figure out the route.

BBatesokc
03-14-2012, 06:03 AM
Doesn't Edmond offer some sort of shuttle service to downtown OKC?

metro
03-14-2012, 09:41 AM
Yes

Lauri101
03-14-2012, 05:07 PM
Doesn't Edmond offer some sort of shuttle service to downtown OKC?

Yes and it's commuter-friendly - we have several employees who ride it

kevinpate
03-14-2012, 08:40 PM
Edmond and Norman each have a dedicated express route to the city. I imagine the Edmond route is every bit as popular as the Norman route which has decent ridership.

When I worked in the southside, I sometimes took a bus in and afterwards my lovely would come up and we'd go to dinner, see friends, etc. and then drive home. I've also used the Norman express if I have a real clear DT schedule that's unlikely to change on me. The bus doesn't move down the road at a significantly different speed than driving, and a RT bus fee is generally less than the parking fee, let alone gas and wear/tear on a rt drive.

Frustratedoptimist
03-19-2012, 02:54 PM
I bet you're right about Edmond's ridership, kevinpate. Edmond's bus system is fare-free. I've seen many downtown workers park and ride, most driving nice cars.