View Full Version : I - 44 Bridge

SoonerBoy18
02-17-2012, 07:22 PM
I-44 is my favorite interstate to drive on when I am in Oklahoma City. I was wondering if ODOT is going to repaire the I-44 bridge by Penn Square Mall? I cant be the only one who gets embaressed for the city when Im on it.

gurantula35
02-18-2012, 01:15 AM
which bridge are you talking about? if i remember correctly, a few months back they we're doing repairs to i-44 from the NW Expressway exit to the Penn exit on both sides. Even had the NW Expressway exit closed for a small amount of time.

SoonerBoy18
02-18-2012, 10:36 AM
I am talking about the bridge as soon as you exit off Will Rogers express way. All up their by NW Expressway and Penn exit. Those roads look like they are crumbling fast

OKCisOK4me
02-18-2012, 10:51 AM
I am talking about the bridge as soon as you exit off Will Rogers express way. All up their by NW Expressway and Penn exit. Those roads look like they are crumbling fast

Ive lived here most my life--Will Rogers Expressway?? I'm assuming you're talking about I-44 where it goes over the Deep Fork Creek, NW Expressway and turns easterly between Belle Isle & the Vallience Bank building. That part of I-44?!

Until a part of it falls out like we saw with the Crosstown, they will only patch it up...

SoonerBoy18
02-18-2012, 11:38 AM
Ive lived here most my life--Will Rogers Expressway?? I'm assuming you're talking about I-44 where it goes over the Deep Fork Creek, NW Expressway and turns easterly between Belle Isle & the Vallience Bank building. That part of I-44?!

Until a part of it falls out like we saw with the Crosstown, they will only patch it up...

Yeah thats where I am talking about.

gurantula35
02-18-2012, 12:44 PM

thats the part i was referring too.

metro
02-20-2012, 12:07 PM
There is no Will Rogers Expressway in OKC. I believe he is referring to Belle Isle bridge.

Snowman
02-20-2012, 12:35 PM
There is no Will Rogers Expressway in OKC. I believe he is referring to Belle Isle bridge.

Will Rogers Expressway is i44 north of H.E. Bailey Turnpike, you just never see the name like several of our interstate designated roads in OKC. Probably came from in Oklahoma Route 66 is Will Rogers Highway, which co runs with i44 for around 10 miles.

OKCisOK4me
02-20-2012, 12:49 PM
Will Rogers Expressway is i44 north of H.E. Bailey Turnpike, you just never see the name like several of our interstate designated roads in OKC. Probably came from in Oklahoma Route 66 is Will Rogers Highway.

And here I thought it was always the Dr. Wk Jackson Parkway...

Snowman
02-20-2012, 01:05 PM
And here I thought it was always the Dr. Wk Jackson Parkway...

I do not remember how far the Will Rogers Expressway name goes, it may have only been between H.E. Bailey Turnpike and Lake Hefner Parkway, Belle Isle or i235. Given how long there was a gap between the sections of i44 between Lake Hefner Parkway and i35 for several years, different names would not be that surprising.

SoonerBoy18
02-22-2012, 08:37 PM
*Sigh* Will Rogers Expressway (Lake hefner Parkway, I -144> Right when you exit at 147B from eastbound i-40. On my maps on my ipad it says will rogers expressway

OKCisOK4me
02-22-2012, 08:55 PM
SB18, have you ever seen a folding paper map?

CuatrodeMayo
02-22-2012, 08:59 PM
Sounds complicated.

SoonerBoy18
02-22-2012, 09:13 PM

Yes but i try to avoid them, google maps is more legible

OKCisOK4me
02-23-2012, 01:19 AM
Well, that's because you can't zoom a paper map without putting it at the end of your nose & info doesn't load on a paper map like it does on Google Maps. A majority of us on here grew up with maps made from trees. Sorry we didn't know where Will Rogers Expressway was/is ;-)

metro
02-23-2012, 08:51 AM
Yes but i try to avoid them, google maps is more legible

And inaccurate.

SoonerBoy18
02-23-2012, 12:00 PM
And inaccurate.

Oh yes, very true

mpotter
02-25-2012, 08:45 PM
The portion of I-44 east of Tulsa to Joplin, MO is designated the Will Rogers Turnpike. I never knew of a Will Rogers Expressway in OKC. I-40 was called the Crosstown Expressway downtown and the Tinker Diagonal Expressway from downtown to Tinker Air Force Base, Northeast Expressway was the section of I-44/US 66 from NW Expressway east to I-35 and then I-35 from that point north to the Turner Turnpike. When the section of I-35 from the interchange with current I-44/66 near NE 63rd down to NE 23rd was built in 1958, it was originally designated the Raymond Gary Expressway.

UncleCyrus
02-26-2012, 02:41 AM

I actually have several OKC folding paper maps in my collection that show that south OKC portion of I-44 (then designated I-240) as Will Rogers Expressway. Google isn't completely wrong, just maybe a little outdated.

OKCisOK4me
02-26-2012, 09:41 AM
I still have a map book of all the states that Rand McNally makes. I was just saying that when paper maps were more common, I didn't really look at the highway names...

UncleCyrus
02-26-2012, 09:55 AM
I can see that. We never really used the highway names here as much as other cities have, except for maybe the Crosstown Expressway.

bluedogok
02-26-2012, 06:53 PM
It seems like highways in Texas all have three or more names and/or number designations and you never really know which name the map sites/program use.

JWil
04-15-2012, 01:28 AM
That bridge is in super shape compared to the Crosstown. That said, I'd *guess* that whenever they replace the Belle Isle Bridge, they'd keep it elevated but put it on an earthen base. Random guess there, though.

The real problem with that part of I-44 is the ramp from I-44 to I-44 where Lake Hefner Parkway breaks off. That entire intersection needs to be reconstructed, but it's way down the list and won't be considered until after the I-35/240 project. I've never understood why anyone thought it was a good idea to make I-44 go from three lanes to one as it shifted direction from westward to southward.

ljbab728
04-15-2012, 01:50 AM
That bridge is in super shape compared to the Crosstown. That said, I'd *guess* that whenever they replace the Belle Isle Bridge, they'd keep it elevated but put it on an earthen base. Random guess there, though.

The real problem with that part of I-44 is the ramp from I-44 to I-44 where Lake Hefner Parkway breaks off. That entire intersection needs to be reconstructed, but it's way down the list and won't be considered until after the I-35/240 project. I've never understood why anyone thought it was a good idea to make I-44 go from three lanes to one as it shifted direction from westward to southward.

I'm not disagreeing with you but the third lane doesn't go to I44 south. There is ample advance warning about that. I agree that it may need more merging area for the two lanes which continue south, however. It can be a bottle neck but I don't think it's a major safety issue.

Snowman
04-15-2012, 01:56 AM
I've never understood why anyone thought it was a good idea to make I-44 go from three lanes to one as it shifted direction from westward to southward.

It was not originally planned/built as one continuous route, in OKC it was four separate road projects that got renamed, which is why it exits onto itself three times. Originally i44's southwest end was it merging into i35. It probably has at least double the traffic it was planned to carry at that time.

JWil
04-25-2012, 01:01 AM
OK, that makes sense. Thanks.

The good news is, it would appear (by my untrained eye) that there's enough space to create a six-lane curve (three lanes in each direction) ramp that makes I-44 more of a continuance and less of an off-ramp to itself. But it's behind the 235/77, 240/35 and likely the 44/40 intersections (all of the bridges need widening there).

jdcf
04-25-2012, 10:02 AM
I would also like to see a re-working of the I-44/Classen interchange with subsequent changes to 50th St/NW Expressway and Classen. I think 50th St should directly connect with NW Expressway, both directions, for much improved traffic flow.

JWil
04-25-2012, 02:11 PM
That'd be nice, but I can't see it happening after the near-recent re-do of that area. I think that light at Classen Cir/Military is as good as it'll get there. Looking at the map, a 50th/NWX light would probably be too close to the existing NWX/Classen light.

Plutonic Panda
04-06-2013, 05:26 AM
I-44 is my favorite interstate to drive on when I am in Oklahoma City. I was wondering if ODOT is going to repaire the I-44 bridge by Penn Square Mall? I cant be the only one who gets embaressed for the city when Im on it.Thinking in the next 20 years, they need redo this part of the highway. I wonder if they will keep it elevated or maybe even lower it to below grade. The entry and exits suck at this part. The highway itself doesn't appear to be in any immediate danger, it just looks ugly and wasn't designed very good, imo. I hope they do something with this, but then again, as some might have figured out here, I say that with almost every highway here in OKC. :P

BTW, what's with people claiming that it is in danger of quickly becoming like the old crosstown. I've walked under it and the crosstown(months before it was torn down) and I really didn't notice anything too bad with this one. I could tell the crosstown was REALLY bad, though. This particular highway doesn't seem structurally deficient or in danger of collapsing, just not very aesthetically pleasing.

Snowman
04-06-2013, 06:21 AM
Thinking in the next 20 years, they need redo this part of the highway. I wonder if they will keep it elevated or maybe even lower it to below grade. The entry and exits suck at this part. The highway itself doesn't appear to be in any immediate danger, it just looks ugly and wasn't designed very good, imo. I hope they do something with this, but then again, as some might have figured out here, I say that with almost every highway here in OKC. :P

BTW, what's with people claiming that it is in danger of quickly becoming like the old crosstown. I've walked under it and the crosstown(months before it was torn down) and I really didn't notice anything too bad with this one. I could tell the crosstown was REALLY bad, though. This particular highway doesn't seem structurally deficient or in danger of collapsing, just not very aesthetically pleasing.

It at least has the excuse unlike some of the poorly planned sections that it was trying to fit two roads together that were not deigned from the start to meet without the two ends originally merging with NW expressway, plus if they knew that the lake would be filled they probably would just have it on a berm like everything else is. My guess is that the rework the way it ties into NW expressway, depending on costs may end up keeping the existing piers and steel spans, with a long shots of making it four lanes between the NW highway and i235/Broadway extension and turning western into a diamond interchange.

Plutonic Panda
04-06-2013, 06:49 AM
It at least has the excuse unlike some of the poorly planned sections that it was trying to fit two roads together that were not deigned from the start to meet without the two ends originally merging with NW expressway, plus if they knew that the lake would be filled they probably would just have it on a berm like everything else is. My guess is that the rework the way it ties into NW expressway, depending on costs may end up keeping the existing piers and steel spans, with a long shots of making it four lanes between the NW highway and i235/Broadway extension and turning western into a diamond interchange.Excuse my ignorance, but how exactly did they "go about", with this particular section of the freeway? I have looked over the post in this thread and I kind of get the "jist" of what happened with NW Expressway and converting it and all, but did they build the highway directly along where the road was or did they take a curve, or was the road curved before? It seems strange that there wasn't a grid type road layout here before the highway was built. I'm actually surprised there aren't more wrecks than there are(well, I don't hear about wrecks much in this area, doesn't mean they happen though).

Snowman
04-06-2013, 02:52 PM
Excuse my ignorance, but how exactly did they "go about", with this particular section of the freeway? I have looked over the post in this thread and I kind of get the "jist" of what happened with NW Expressway and converting it and all, but did they build the highway directly along where the road was or did they take a curve, or was the road curved before? It seems strange that there wasn't a grid type road layout here before the highway was built. I'm actually surprised there aren't more wrecks than there are(well, I don't hear about wrecks much in this area, doesn't mean they happen though).

Going eastbound:

The first mile east of Lake Hefner Parkway used part of old highway 66, where it starts curving north followed a stream that lead to where that meets NW expressway (this was all going through already suburban houses, which is probably why this is the narrowest section since the had to buy houses to destroy them and the more houses destroyed/eminent domained the more chance the opposition kills the project). Between Western-ish and Eastern-ish was what use to be Grand Boulevard (as is part of i35, part of Lake Hefner parkway and most of i44's north south section, using the rest of Grand going through Nichols Hills was probably a non starter, not only is it longer but they were fighting hard enough to kill several exits on Lake Hefner Parkway near them). Those two originally connected through northwest expressway but eventually ran a bypass over what was at the time Belle Isle Lake. The last section to the juncture with i35 was probably still farmland at the time and just has that much curve from how it leaves grand and the stream near it. Their was a grid layout before the highway was built, apparently a grand boulevard around the city was not that much more useful than the city streets (well city limits at the time the boulevard land was purchased, which might have been an old train track around the city or at least part of it was).

One thing that has been found after the original interstate system was built is people tend to pay more attention to driving on gradually curved roads than straight roads, on roads that are strait for many miles people are more prone to multitasking or zoning out.

Plutonic Panda
04-06-2013, 07:02 PM
Going eastbound:

The first mile east of Lake Hefner Parkway used part of old highway 66, where it starts curving north followed a stream that lead to where that meets NW expressway (this was all going through already suburban houses, which is probably why this is the narrowest section since the had to buy houses to destroy them and the more houses destroyed/eminent domained the more chance the opposition kills the project). Between Western-ish and Eastern-ish was what use to be Grand Boulevard (as is part of i35, part of Lake Hefner parkway and most of i44's north south section, using the rest of Grand going through Nichols Hills was probably a non starter, not only is it longer but they were fighting hard enough to kill several exits on Lake Hefner Parkway near them). Those two originally connected through northwest expressway but eventually ran a bypass over what was at the time Belle Isle Lake. The last section to the juncture with i35 was probably still farmland at the time and just has that much curve from how it leaves grand and the stream near it. Their was a grid layout before the highway was built, apparently a grand boulevard around the city was not that much more useful than the city streets (well city limits at the time the boulevard land was purchased, which might have been an old train track around the city or at least part of it was).

One thing that has been found after the original interstate system was built is people tend to pay more attention to driving on gradually curved roads than straight roads, on roads that are strait for many miles people are more prone to multitasking or zoning out.Thanks a bunch for the info!!!! Any idea how many houses were taken by eminent domain as a result of this?

Jim Kyle
04-06-2013, 07:31 PM
It was a fairly large number, but their value wasn't all that great. The stream Snowman refers to is Deep Fork creek/river, which begins around NW 38 and Ann Arbor, winds to the south almost to NW 23, then turns east and goes through Will Rogers Park, until making a sharp turn to the north at NW 35 and Venice Blvd. From there it runs north and east to NW 43 and Alameda (which used to flood regularly in the late 50s and later, until the channel was concreted in the 70s), crosses under 39th street and Penn, runs north to the old Belle Isle lake, and from there east. Because of the flooding, the route was rather blighted. After the houses were condemned but before they were demolished, a tornado came through and followed the route almost exactly, doing the destruction for free! That was in the spring of 1970. The storm touched down southwest of NW 23 and Meridian, took the roof off of Windsor Lanes, then followed NW 23 to the east staying in the middle of the road until approximately the Dale Rogers Center. There it turned northeast again but lifted and did little damage until getting to May avenue just south of NW 36. It then raised havoc until reaching NW 39, where it turned and followed the route now occupied by I44 until reaching Western. At that point, it dissipated.

Plutonic Panda
04-07-2013, 05:15 AM
Oh, well that's really neat(not for the people that lost their homes though). I was trying to find the map of this area over in the 1969 thread, but I couldn't :(. I wonder when/if they will ever convert Northwest Expressway to highway? It would make sense seeing as a bunch of the intersections made the most dangerous list. Also, are there plans to extend this highway?

Another thing that might be cool would be a light-rail or commuter rail through Northwest express way. I wonder if that would be feasible though.

Jim Kyle
04-07-2013, 07:59 AM
Duplicated post!

Jim Kyle
04-07-2013, 08:02 AM
3610The expressway already is a highway: State Highway 3. SH3 was originally intended to span the state diagonally from NW to SE, and it does go all the way to the Louisiana (yes, Louisiana) border with the last town being Tom, 3 miles from the border. I don't remember just where the NW end of it is located, though.

When the expressway was built, in the very late 30s and early 40s, it stopped short at May Avenue. It didn't get extended east from there until much later, I believe mid-50s.

For the aerial photos, look at NW 50 and May, NW 50 and Penn, and NW 50 and Classen. You'll see the old Classen Circle. And here's one of the bridge under construction that I found on line...

Plutonic Panda
04-07-2013, 08:08 PM
Thanks a million for that. That is really interesting. It's amazing how different it looks, like an entirely new area.

I had no idea SH3 goes all the way to Louisiana. That might make for interesting drive one day. Seeing the age of this, maybe it is becoming like the old Crosstown quicker than I think.

bombermwc
04-08-2013, 07:17 AM
Didn't OKC take over ownership of the NW Exway a few years ago? I believe ODOT release it to the city and now a large portion of it is city street rather than highway.

rezman
04-08-2013, 09:19 AM
I-35 between I-40 and I-44, is the Raymond Gary Expressway. So named after Oklahoma's 15th governor

OKCDrummer77
04-08-2013, 10:34 AM
Didn't OKC take over ownership of the NW Exway a few years ago? I believe ODOT release it to the city and now a large portion of it is city street rather than highway.

Yes, the portion east of Lake Hefner Parkway was turned over to the city a few years ago. That portion was signed as OK-3A (OK-3 follows the Parkway south to I-44). 3A no longer officially exists, although a few stray signs can still be found.