View Full Version : How about those classy supersonic fans at the portland/okc game?

Dustin
02-07-2012, 12:57 AM
http://i.imgur.com/jixlj.jpg

I wonder if they will still show up to heckle the Thunder players and coaches whenever/if Seattle gets a new team?

I'm glad they were called out when they threw bottles on to the court. I hope they get thrown out next time.

dcsooner
02-07-2012, 04:29 AM
Seattle fans mini protests are no longer an issue for me. Old news. These folks and others may want to keep the vitriol alive, but I for one have moved on. Let those in Seattle or anywhere else continue the pity party all by themselves.

okcpulse
02-07-2012, 06:08 AM
Well said, dcsooner.

Pete
02-07-2012, 07:27 AM
Ironically, that's about the same number of fans they'd draw for their old home games.

kevinpate
02-07-2012, 07:33 AM
Ironically, that's about the same number of fans they'd draw for their old home games.

You're not gonna be changing the name to OKCSmackTalk are ya?
8^)

Martin
02-07-2012, 07:40 AM

http://images.sodahead.com/polls/000934111/Misc_OhSnap_Bear_answer_2_xlarge.jpeg

OKCisOK4me
02-07-2012, 09:33 AM
Lah-who......ha-surs!

Laramie
02-10-2012, 05:59 PM
http://i.imgur.com/jixlj.jpg

I wonder if they will still show up to heckle the Thunder players and coaches whenever/if Seattle gets a new team?

I'm glad they were called out when they threw bottles on to the court. I hope they get thrown out next time.

You bet they would; this bunch is so totally set on revenge because of the relocation that they have shown up at every Portland game involving the Thunder. What a bunch of losers. I hope they get a team soon so we can become blood-thirsty rivals.

windowphobe
02-10-2012, 06:19 PM
What a bunch of losers. I hope they get a team soon so we can become blood-thirsty rivals.

And since the NBA isn't going to be expanding any time soon - they were talking contraction before the new collective-bargaining agreement - they'll have to poach another town's team.

"Karma sauce!" shrieked the gander.

OSUMom
02-10-2012, 06:26 PM
I read somewhere that they have their eyes on the Kings. After seeing that sell-out crowd cheering their team on, I think they might have to fight to get that team.

metro
02-10-2012, 07:39 PM
Until they get a new arena, it doesn't matter.

I also wouldn't be surprised if these "fans" are part of the OWS crowd.

Just the facts
02-10-2012, 08:52 PM
According to TNT announcers last night, Seattle is getting close to approving a new NBA arena. My money is on the Hornets relocating since they are owned by the NBA and selling them to Steve Ballmer would bring in about $350 million to the NBA coffers.

http://www.upi.com/Sports_News/2012/02/05/Seattle-financier-talking-new-NBA-arena/UPI-30171328487844/

SEATTLE, Feb. 5 (UPI) -- Seattle city officials are talking with a wealthy San Francisco financier about building a new arena and luring a relocated NBA team, documents indicate.

E-mails exchanged between key aides of Seattle Mayor Mike McGinn and Christopher Hansen, a little-known hedge fund manager, revealed the two sides are discussing scenarios in which the city could help finance a replacement for outdated KeyArena, The Seattle Times reported Sunday.

The Kings already have one foot in Anaheim.

Snowman
02-10-2012, 09:01 PM
I read somewhere that they have their eyes on the Kings. After seeing that sell-out crowd cheering their team on, I think they might have to fight to get that team.

Given the last plan floated to pay for building a new stadium in Sacramento, it seems Sacramento might be better off letting their team go verses implementing what was considered. Still it is funny how Seattle fans can with a strait face act like moving the Sonics out was entirely unprecedented but before the move was finished being contested in the courts be looking for who they can take.

OSUMom
02-10-2012, 11:19 PM
Given the last plan floated to pay for building a new stadium in Sacramento, it seems Sacramento might be better off letting their team go verses implementing what was considered. Still it is funny how Seattle fans can with a strait face act like moving the Sonics out was entirely unprecedented but before the move was finished being contested in the courts be looking for who they can take.

Oh, but this is 'different'.

Laramie
02-11-2012, 02:36 PM
According to TNT announcers last night, Seattle is getting close to approving a new NBA arena. My money is on the Hornets relocating since they are owned by the NBA and selling them to Steve Ballmer would bring in about $350 million to the NBA coffers.

http://www.upi.com/Sports_News/2012/02/05/Seattle-financier-talking-new-NBA-arena/UPI-30171328487844/

The Kings already have one foot in Anaheim.

They definitely don't want to let this team get out of state of California. Anaheim would be the most likely spot for the Kings; especially since Clay Bennett has been appointed to be over the relocation-expansion process. Clay just might have a bone to pick with some Emerald City leaders.

San Jose with Oracle CEO Larry Elliott would be another spot for the Kings.

Just the facts
02-11-2012, 04:59 PM
The Kings already have a deal in place with the Honda Center in Anaheim. They were supposed to move last year but the NBA asked them to give Sacramento one more season to get an arena deal together. If the Kings leave it will be for Anaheim.

http://www.nba.com/2011/news/03/29/kings-anaheim.ap/index.html

ANAHEIM, Calif. (AP) -- The Anaheim city council unanimously approved a $75 million bond deal Tuesday night to entice the Sacramento Kings to relocate to Orange County.

The city council twice voted 5-0 for the lease-revenue bond measures, resulting in a round of applause from the audience at its packed City Hall meeting room.

"Anaheim took a giant step closer to bringing an NBA team to Anaheim and the Honda Center," Anaheim Mayor Tom Tait said. "I am thrilled. A better word is stoked."

kevinpate
02-11-2012, 06:31 PM
Interesting Q, to me anyway. If the Hornets were to move to Seattle, would they remain the Hornets, or would they become the SuperSonics? I would presume the latter, but I suppose it could roll either way.

Just the facts
02-11-2012, 06:37 PM
Interesting Q, to me anyway. If the Hornets were to move to Seattle, would they remain the Hornets, or would they become the SuperSonics? I would presume the latter, but I suppose it could roll either way.

The Sonics name stayed with the City of Seattle as part of the exit deal so any new team moving there would be called the Sonics. If that happens I hope all the franchise records are given back to Seattle. I know the people in Charlotte would like to get the Hornets name back.

kevinpate
02-11-2012, 06:53 PM
The Sonics name stayed with the City of Seattle as part of the exit deal so any new team moving there would be called the Sonics. If that happens I hope all the franchise records are given back to Seattle. I know the people in Charlotte would like to get the Hornets name back.

Yeah, it's my, admittedly limited, understanding that the name, colors and records all stayed in a nice neat lil' SuperSonics box in a closet somewhere up there in case they ever got a team again. I've just never been clear on whether that was a done deal no matter where the replacement team had been before, or if it was just an available option for new owners to say yea or nay to when and if they brought a team to Seattle.

Just the facts
02-11-2012, 09:14 PM
Since the City of Seattle owns the name 'Sonics" I guess a new owner and the City would need to work that out. Unfortunately though, the records came to OKC with the franchise.

Snowman
02-11-2012, 10:18 PM
Since the City of Seattle owns the name 'Sonics" I guess a new owner and the City would need to work that out. Unfortunately though, the records came to OKC with the franchise.

They have the option to keep the Sonics record, it was agreed to be shared history, not that it makes a huge difference till they get a team or to us. I would be surprised if an owner would move a team there and not call it the Sonics, it would be burning a lot of bridges while moving in, unless it takes more than 30/40 years.

Just the facts
02-11-2012, 10:43 PM
I would be surprised if an owner would move a team there and not call it the Sonics, it would be burning a lot of bridges while moving in, unless it takes more than 30/40 years.

I agree with that. They would have to be stupid to not call them the Sonics. That would be like the NFL going back into Cleveland and not calling them the Browns. Just think, if Seattle had done this a few years ago Bennett would have had to kick in something like $45 milliion as part of the deal to move. Of course, Stern put Bennett in charge of NBA relocation so he probably wouldn't have approved a move that would have cost him $45 million. Funny how that works.

BrettM2
02-11-2012, 11:01 PM
I agree with that. They would have to be stupid to not call them the Sonics. That would be like the NFL going back into Cleveland and not calling them the Browns. Just think, if Seattle had done this a few years ago Bennett would have had to kick in something like $45 milliion as part of the deal to move. Of course, Stern put Bennett in charge of NBA relocation so he probably wouldn't have approved a move that would have cost him $45 million. Funny how that works.

All they had to do was approve a new arena to get that money. Bennett was chair then, neither could he have stopped it. I'll believe they have an arena deal when the ink is dry and sticks.

Snowman
02-11-2012, 11:14 PM
While I doubt Bennett has many fond relationships with the people he dealt with in Seattle, them having a team would pacify his most vocal critics.

Yea BrettM2, this deal looks like a bit of a long shot since one it probably would require assurance of an NBA team and an NHL team before getting built and two has a model unlikely to ever return any money to the owner if privately financed based on the figures published so far.

Tydude
02-14-2012, 07:32 AM
i been talking to them and they say that they really want a team but i told them that they won't have KD but the say when they contract is up they are going to try to brink him back to Seattle were he started playing in the NBA.i was like he likes OKC more then Seattle he play seattle for 41 games that year and how many more games he play in OKC more

Laramie
02-25-2012, 11:19 AM
Seattle fans mini protests are no longer an issue for me. Old news. These folks and others may want to keep the vitriol alive, but I for one have moved on. Let those in Seattle or anywhere else continue the pity party all by themselves.

dcsooner, that's the best description I have seen yet; "the pity party," you hit the nail on the head with that observation.

Laramie
02-25-2012, 11:20 AM

dcsooner, that's the best description I have seen yet; "the pity party," you hit the nail on the head with that observation.

ljbab728
03-07-2012, 12:12 AM
Seattle won't be getting the Kings, anyway.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-kings-arena

Laramie
03-07-2012, 10:02 AM
Seattle won't be getting the Kings, anyway.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-kings-arena

It's kind of ironic, the fans and posters on the ESPN NBA Oklahoma City & NBA in Seattle Times forums who are anti-Thunder have held themselves to the morals that they wouldn't hyjack another city's NBA franchise as did Oklahoma City (via C. Bennett, M. Cornett, H. Schultz, D. Stern) and now they are saying, well it's business and if Sacramento or New Orleans can't support the NBA, they can. Oh, how quickly those with high-morals and standards change their positions to justify the current agenda.

Seattle has one major problem with getting their new arena built; they have to have committments from both the NBA and the NHL for the proposed arena (mostly privately funded) to become reality. The biggest problem with getting those committments has to do with the fact that Seattle would become an overextended market because they don't have the dollars in their market to support MLB, NFL, NBA & NHL. They could bring in one of the indoor franchise but not both.

Snowman
03-07-2012, 05:45 PM
A fair number of the Seattle fans have a similar complex as the LA fans did/does with the NFL about there market being too good for the Leagues to ignore irrespective of how teams operate.

OSUMom
03-07-2012, 09:28 PM
I saw atleast two people with Seattle Sonics shirts on tonight at the game. Where did that come from?

betts
03-07-2012, 09:49 PM
There are a few every so often. There's someone who sits near me in Section 120 from time to time who wears one. I suspect they moved here from Seatlle or were Supersonics fans pre-Thunder.

Snowman
03-07-2012, 09:53 PM
There is also a small contingent that do it to protest the team being moved but that is more likely to happen in Portland or California games due to the proximity.