View Full Version : Ryan's

SoonerQueen
01-29-2012, 09:57 PM
Heard today that Ryan's aka Fire Mountain, is CLOSED! Building is for sale. This is the location off I-40 .

rcjunkie
01-30-2012, 03:53 AM
Heard today that Ryan's aka Fire Mountain, is CLOSED! Building is for sale. This is the location off I-40 .

Not surprised, absolutely horrible. I tried them twice (benefit of doubt), had better food from a convenience store deli.

SoonerDave
01-30-2012, 07:31 AM
Not surprised, absolutely horrible. I tried them twice (benefit of doubt), had better food from a convenience store deli.

This. Went at my mom's request when it first opened as Fire Mountain, and it was *dreadful*. Never went back.

metro
01-30-2012, 09:39 AM
It was no different than a Golden Corral as far as quality. You get what you pay for at a buffet. I won't miss it, and neither will the expanding waist lines of OKC. I'm sure it won't be vacant long, that corridor is hot right now.

Debzkidz
01-30-2012, 02:52 PM
I didn't know there were any of these still around. The one on Penn near Memorial has been closed for years. Used to be one near my parents house. Every time we would go visit my dad would insist that we go there. Me, hubby and our 2 sons, and my sister her hubby and their 2 sons would all start rolling ours eyes, and the boys would all start making gagging sounds. Dad never had his hearing aid on so he never heard it. They took us there once, and because we were polite and didn't tell him we hated it, he decided we loved it. He would always say "we've just been waiting for you to get here so we could go, cause we know you love it" Cheers went up when we went to visit and Dad informed us our "favorite restaurant, Fire Mountain" had closed. He just looked at us so shocked.

RadicalModerate
01-30-2012, 04:24 PM
I wonder if the Chinese Restaurant that went into the former Fire Mountain location on Penn at Memorial is haunted more by the ghosts of Fire Mountains past or the Walmart of the present.

Debz story about her dad's preferences reminded me of my dad.
His favorite was Furrs. Why? "You can get whatever you want."
His order every single time: "Chopped Steak" with the onlon brown gravy mix.

Debzkidz
01-30-2012, 04:43 PM
I guess these types of places are all about quantity over quality. Mind you, I don't want elf food, but I'd rather have less good quality food than a big trough of slop.

RadicalModerate
02-01-2012, 08:36 AM
I once had the idea for a theme restaurant called "The Trough."

I was inspired by all of the "all you can eat" places and that old ad for Pearl's that showed them dumping a big pot of boiled shrimp out on a table.

People would be seated along both sides of a long trough, waitresses clad in gingham, calico and other farmlike garb would bring out buckets of basic, semi-flowable, food and slosh them out in front of the diners. No silverware allowed.

Come to think of it . . .
Perhaps the name of the place was going to be "The Sty" . . .

Roadhawg
02-01-2012, 09:14 AM
I used to go to Ryan's several years ago in Chattanooga and it wasn't bad at all. Guess it's gone downhill since then.

jn1780
02-01-2012, 11:33 AM
It was no different than a Golden Corral as far as quality. You get what you pay for at a buffet. I won't miss it, and neither will the expanding waist lines of OKC. I'm sure it won't be vacant long, that corridor is hot right now.

Golden Carral was a lot better than Ryan's toward the end. The food was better during its Fire Mountain days.

metro
02-01-2012, 01:44 PM
I can't believe you all debating who has better buffet food.

MikeOKC
02-01-2012, 01:47 PM
I can't believe you all debating who has better buffet food.

Everybody has different tastes. I actually like Golden Corral for their fresh vegetables and homestyle cooking. A nice plate of roast beef, fresh veggies, rolls and pastries. It's hard to beat their pastries and deserts, though I always go light on those. Granted, I don't go often, but sometimes it hits the spot.

Easy180
02-01-2012, 08:49 PM
Not surprised as I never saw more than 10 cars there...Wonder if location plays a factor as the BWW nearby also normally looks dead but maybe it's just the times I'm driving by

MDot
02-01-2012, 09:10 PM
Not surprised as I never saw more than 10 cars there...Wonder if location plays a factor as the BWW nearby also normally looks dead but maybe it's just the times I'm driving by

When I drive by BWW they're generally pretty packed so I guess it just depends on the time you (generally speaking) drive by. And I don't know why it would be location, lately it appears as though there is a new structure going up every couple of months. Just my observation of course though.

kevinpate
02-02-2012, 07:03 AM
... I actually like Golden Corral for their fresh vegetables and homestyle cooking. A nice plate of roast beef, fresh veggies, rolls and pastries. It's hard to beat their pastries and deserts, though I always go light on those.

This. I realize it isn't fine dining, nor is it priced as such. But to just pashah the concept overall is a bit silly. There are buffets that put out food and it sits and sits due to a low volume and yeah, I don't frequent those places either. But all buffets are not the same. GC, as one example, update the offerings rather than dump a ton in a pan and fergetaboutit. Also, if one wanted, it's a place that cooked to order items are plentiful as well.

Can't really speak to their desserts. I tend to skip that area. I use small amounts of different entrees as appetizers, followed by the pan seared seafood offering and/or a small steak, several bits of veggie and I'm typically done. Except in Ada. Several times there Applewood smoked bacon was wrapped around chicken breasts. Probably the best part of my Ada trips.

oneforone
02-02-2012, 08:47 AM
I have never went to a buffet expecting a premium meal. The food is usually descent at most of them you just have to go at times when high traffic is hitting the place so the food will best quality. If you go during lighter traffic times the food is not going to be as good because they are just checking the temperatures and topping off the line as needed. The main thing I hated about fire mountain is the layout. If your going to run a buffet, it needs to be friendly to foot traffic.

I don't get why a few posters on here are making the fat jokes. The way I see it people come in all shapes and sizes. Large sized people have never been a problem until recently when everybody started buying into the concept of super skinny is super healthy. Truth be told their many skinny people out there that are too skinny that are going to face major health problems just like the obese crowd. All the gym time, health food and supplements are not going to save them from it. In fact, it may make it worse.

Why is there a need for bashing fat people? When you do that are no better then someone who attacks people because of their race,religion or sexual orientation. If your open minded about the idea that a person can do what they please with their body rather it be tattooing, piercing, style of clothing, the freedom of engaging in alternative lifestyles then people being overweight should not bother you one bit. If you think about it fat people bashing took the place of mainstream bigotry and racism. Some people have to look down on others just so they feel better about themselves. It really doesn't matter what people look like, it's all about how they treat you and how you treat them that's it. A person being fat does not effect you anymore then a person wearing a blue shirt. You make a conscious decision to let things disagree with you. This is one of many things that people need to leave well enough alone and move on. Worry about your own life. If you want to make jokes make them about yourself.

They way I see it, if you despise someone based off what you see on the outside and not about the type of character they present to the world. Your basically stating something you don't like about yourself. You have a fear of being fat yourself. My uncle lived to be 90 and he weighted 300 pounds. My great grandmother was 250 and she made it to 92. Both of them have lived and worked 10 times more then anyone in todays world will ever being to imagine. They lived well past many of their fit and trim brothers and sisters. Honestly, I think large people live longer if they have a loving family. Skinny people die sooner because the large majority of them are always stressing about something and stress shave more time off your life then any bacon cheeseburger will.

RadicalModerate
02-02-2012, 09:03 AM
I've seen skinny people who could pack away more food than I would ever consider trying to eat. And I'm one of the overweight ones who buffet supervisors probably hate to see come through the door. Okay . . . I'm not "obese" but . . . =)

I'm not sure if it is the mediocrity of the food at most buffets that causes me to go through the line only once--except for getting more of that fried spinach with the various sauces at Khazana--or if it just that I don't like to feel stuffed.

(BTW: Interesting post, oneforone . . . thoughtful and probably full of truth.)

metro
02-02-2012, 10:25 AM
I doubt the space will stay vacant long, this corridor is booming.

Paule4ou
02-02-2012, 11:56 AM
When I drive by BWW they're generally pretty packed so I guess it just depends on the time you (generally speaking) drive by. And I don't know why it would be location, lately it appears as though there is a new structure going up every couple of months. Just my observation of course though.

I doubt its location at all....just look at the growth in the area. That BWW is actually the 2nd highest grossing location in the SW Zone for them I have been told.

MDot
02-02-2012, 12:22 PM
I doubt its location at all....just look at the growth in the area. That BWW is actually the 2nd highest grossing location in the SW Zone for them I have been told.

See, that doesn't surprise me at all. They're always packed full when I go by.

BTW, you responded to the wrong person (but we get the point). LOL

SSEiYah
02-02-2012, 06:51 PM
I'd take Mcdonalds over Ryans. I work on this side of town and all 3 times I have been there the food was bad, really bad. If you want an edible buffet, try Cajun King on the north side, Catfish cove, golden palace at sw 15th and meridian.

MDot
02-02-2012, 07:33 PM
I'd take Mcdonalds over Ryans. I work on this side of town and all 3 times I have been there the food was bad, really bad. If you want an edible buffet, try Cajun King on the north side, Catfish cove, golden palace at sw 15th and meridian.

Golden Palace has probably the best Chinese food out of all the Chinese buffets in the Oklahoma City Metropolitan area (no joke). I'm dying to try Cajun King, not because it sounds like Jesus' favorite place to eat but because I hear their food is delish and I love me some good ol' Cajun food.

Larry OKC
02-05-2012, 12:13 AM
When Fire Mountain first opened the food was very decent and the place was consistently packed. So much so that they bought the adjoining land and expanded the parking lot. The somewhere along the way, sales drop off a bit and places start cutting back, which leads to more sales dropping off...cutting back...dropping off...well, you get the idea. The brilliant move was to rename the place Ryans. Same food, same people, just different sign out front. All owned by the same parent company that owns Fire Mountain/Ryans/Hometown Buffet (which recently filed for bankruptcy reorganization). They even use the same pictures/layout of the food in the mailed coupon ads for the respective establishments. They just switch out the logos.