View Full Version : Leo's BBQ

Pages : [1] 2

Misty
06-08-2007, 12:50 PM
Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives: TV: Food Network (http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show_dv)

Went there for the first time for lunch today after my buddy Eric saw this show. It was great!

Ginkasa
06-08-2007, 01:00 PM
Where's it at?

Misty
06-08-2007, 01:06 PM
3631 N. Kelley Ave.

jbrown84
06-08-2007, 03:03 PM
Definitely go at lunch.

Easy180
06-08-2007, 03:09 PM
Used to eat there for lunch years ago when I worked at the capitol

It is most definitely a dive, but it is good and greasy just like bbq should be

I too suggest hitting Leo's for lunch as that area isn't exactly a great place to be after dark

Misty
06-08-2007, 03:18 PM
What's wrong with that area? I'm not too familar with that part of town, but the few places I've been have all been fine.

jbrown84
06-08-2007, 03:21 PM
Eh, I would stay away at night if you are :cough:caucasian:cough:

Misty
06-08-2007, 03:25 PM
jbrown! I really hope you aren't a big racist! What difference does that make? So many people in Oklahoma say stuff like that. Would you tell an African American to stay out of a predominantly WHITE neighborhood after dark?

jbrown84
06-08-2007, 03:29 PM
I'm not racist. That neighborhood is scary, and just like you have a few radical Muslims in all of Islam, there are some African-Americans that are hostile to whites, especially if you're in their "hood".

jbrown84
06-08-2007, 03:35 PM
Whatever. I have many black friends.

Midtowner
06-08-2007, 03:52 PM
Whatever. I have many black friends.

You must check out this website:

Black People Love Us! (http://www.blackpeopleloveus.com/)

actionman
06-09-2007, 07:02 AM
I am black. Even I stay out of that area after about 7-8 pm. It is just smart.

bandnerd
06-09-2007, 08:11 AM
Yeah, there are definitely some areas in OKC that everyone should steer clear of after dark!

Mid--is this close to George's? It doesn't seem too bad over there to me, but then again, I work in a kind of scary area :) At least it's scary after dark, regardless of who you are.

OH yeah, the original topic--of course it has to be a dive...that's what the show's about! Pretty cool it made it onthe show. Next thing Bobo's chicken will be on there. That would be awesome. Or Eischan's, or Pappy's BBQ. Man, we have lot of dives.

Intrepid
06-09-2007, 08:22 AM
Used to eat there for lunch years ago when I worked at the capitol

It is most definitely a dive, but it is good and greasy just like bbq should be

I too suggest hitting Leo's for lunch as that area isn't exactly a great place to be after dark

When did you work at the Capitol? I worked for the Senate for a few years in the early 90s and Leo's was always a popular choice for lunch.

As was Rick's Cafe (think that's the name) on Santa Fe. Probably some of the best chicken fried steak I've ever eaten. Now that place is (or was) your typical greasy spoon diner!

bandnerd
06-10-2007, 03:49 PM
Finally got to see this one...I don't even watch this show and because I saw this thread I decided to stick around and sure enough, there was Leo's. The owner had me cracking up..."He's gonna be a Jedi soon." Hahaha.

Think I'll have to try it sometime. Looked like good old-fashioned greasy-spoon bbq. I love that they just use S&P and hickory wood. Sometimes simplicity is perfection.

Easy180
06-10-2007, 05:17 PM
When did you work at the Capitol? I worked for the Senate for a few years in the early 90s and Leo's was always a popular choice for lunch.

As was Rick's Cafe (think that's the name) on Santa Fe. Probably some of the best chicken fried steak I've ever eaten. Now that place is (or was) your typical greasy spoon diner!

Nothing glamorous intrepid...Worked as a temp (whatever it was called...around 9 months full time and your time was up) in the Will Rogers bldg on 2 different occasions probably around '92

John
06-10-2007, 05:43 PM
I caught it, too. It looked like Guy (the host) was having a good time and enjoyed the food.

Only downside, it made me hungy for some BBQ. :D

Intrepid
06-10-2007, 06:05 PM
Nothing glamorous intrepid...Worked as a temp (whatever it was called...around 9 months full time and your time was up) in the Will Rogers bldg on 2 different occasions probably around '92

Ahh....the good 'ole temp, 900 hrs State jobs. Held several of those while going to school.

:)

Easy180
06-10-2007, 06:11 PM
That's it Intrepid...Good money for a 20 yr old back then and I got an inside view of how hard state employees worked

Was always left wondering how Sports Illustrated and the Daily Oklahoman were required reading for every state employee I ran across :LolLolLol

ksearls
06-10-2007, 08:44 PM
How on earth could a Leo's thread go on fo this long without mention of the strawberry banana cake.

bandnerd
06-10-2007, 08:50 PM
They showed the cake on the show. Looked pretty tasty...especially the "enticing icing," as the owner called it.

kevinpate
06-11-2007, 04:59 AM
Been to Leo's. Enjoyed it. It wasn't Hubert's Wild Horse Mtn., or Slicks of Muskogee, but it was right fine all the same. Haven't been back in quite a while.
Maybe I oughta fix that this week since I'll be up that way anyways.

In more recent years, I've been a big fan of Vann's in Norman and Red Zone, formerly a Bob's, in the Sooner Legends, formerly the Ramada, in Norman.

Midtowner
06-11-2007, 01:45 PM
Good stuff.

They do good ribs.. Went with my dad and my brother. Not much meat on those bones -- but what meat there was is quite tasty.

Don't be afraid when the dinner has 6 ribs in it. That sort of portion is not unmanageable.

bandnerd
06-11-2007, 02:13 PM
It's probably because they use spare ribs, instead of baby back ribs...I'm guessing. I could be totally wrong.

Bigrayok
12-09-2010, 08:17 PM
I went by the Leo's on N.E. 4th and the original on N.E. 36th and Kelley today and they were both closed. Each had the orange paper with the notice from the tax commision that they had been shut down for nonpayment of taxes. I hope they can work this out and reopen soon. Leo's is my favorite BBQ in Oklahoma City. I went to Bedlam BBQ at N.E. 50th and Lincoln today and I talked to a few people that had gone to Leo's but went there when they saw Leo's was not open. Bedlam was packed! I like it to.

Bigray in Ok

bluedogok
12-09-2010, 08:22 PM
Hopefully they can get things righted and will be open by Christmas so i can pick up some sauce when I am in town.

Dustin
12-09-2010, 10:02 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO They better open back up!

MustangGT
12-10-2010, 08:45 AM
After the founder died Leo's has been on a roller coaster. I stopped going there when the food quality became unstable/inconsistent. One trip it is great and the next it is only suitable for the garbage. Help turnover and not taking care of the customers hurt them badly. On my last trip the counter man said he was very unhappy that the business was buying what he term "scrappy" meat and trying to financially survive by serving, in his words "unacceptable" meat.

Go back to providing a quality product at a fair price and I and others will come back. Continue as they have the last couple of years and it will be goodbye foreer.

Stew
12-10-2010, 10:35 AM
After the founder died Leo's has been on a roller coaster. I stopped going there when the food quality became unstable/inconsistent. One trip it is great and the next it is only suitable for the garbage. Help turnover and not taking care of the customers hurt them badly. On my last trip the counter man said he was very unhappy that the business was buying what he term "scrappy" meat and trying to financially survive by serving, in his words "unacceptable" meat.

Go back to providing a quality product at a fair price and I and others will come back. Continue as they have the last couple of years and it will be goodbye foreer.

My thoughts exactly.

OKCTalker
12-13-2010, 11:00 AM
Before Leo died, I went there all the time. We'd come back from lunch absolutely STINKING of hickory smoke & BBQ, and it would drive everyone else crazy in the office. "Man - I had a salad for lunch today, and you guys are KILLING me!"

Not just the food quality, but the entire operation fell apart as of late. I placed a large take-out order for a Saturday pickup in the spring, we called to confirm that it was ready but they never answered their phone - at either location (the order was ready, but not answering the phone!?) . And we ordered several cakes for a reception, but the order was lost.

A shame.

CuatrodeMayo
12-13-2010, 12:24 PM

The last time I went, I was shocked at how low-quality the meat was. That was the last time for me.

okclee
12-13-2010, 12:37 PM
I noticed a rental moving truck at Leo's, early morning, a few weeks ago and 5 or 6 guys loading up the truck, I didn't think anything about it until now.

jstaylor62
12-13-2010, 02:53 PM

I had not been to Leo's for quite some time since I bought a smoker and started making my own bbq. But, I decided to relive some fond food memories and make a trip for my birthday last spring. I was salivating thinking about how good it was going to be to eat Leo's again. Wow! I was dissapointed! I was prepared for the usual "things taste better over time as you remember them", but there was no way my memory was that bad! It was obvious that they had cut down on the amount of spices in their rub and how much smoke they used. I wish now that I have never gone and could remember Leo's for what they used to taste like...

Prunepicker
12-13-2010, 03:29 PM
I'd been disappointed with Leo's for many years. As much as I wanted
to relive the glory days it just didn't happen. The strawberry cake was
the same but the bbq lacked.

Bigrayok
12-14-2010, 11:06 AM
I thought it was interesting that the original location was on Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives then closed down for about two years just a short time after. I still like Leo's and hope they can get open again.

Bigray in Ok

EBAH
12-23-2010, 09:40 AM
BUMMER! That is pretty damned depressing. I guess I will have to go to Sprigg's more often, I like their barbecue a little better, but they don't have the wacky location or complementary greens like Leo's did!

Martin
12-23-2010, 09:58 AM
i believe they have reopened on 36th & kelley. -M

BBatesokc
12-23-2010, 12:20 PM
downtown location is open today.

soonerfan21
12-27-2010, 02:52 PM
Still not open today (Monday) but sign on the door says they will be on
Tuesday. Guess we can wait and see.

istilldon'tgetit
12-31-2010, 10:12 AM
I have been following this thread with much interest and am here to report that I too went to Leo's at 36th & Kelly on Monday and everything was delicious, or at least the same as I remembered. The meats were fantastic and the sides were tasty but not outstanding. The staff was friendly and they had a pretty good crowd at lunch
As far as the orange sticker in the window goes, Hey, it happens. Keeping up with state taxes are one of the biggest challenges for small restaurants. When the OTC is unhappy with you they will shut you down until you pay them or at least enter into a payment arrangement. Then it's business as usual.

SoonerQueen
01-13-2011, 12:33 AM
http://www.newsok.com/gattis-pizza-returns-to-okc-metro-with-new-concept/article/3531829

metro
01-13-2011, 09:21 AM
Awesome

ddavidson8
01-13-2011, 09:33 AM
Worst. Pizza. Evar.

BBatesokc
01-13-2011, 10:37 AM
That was a favorite hangout spot when I was young. I think we went to one on NW 39th.

SoonerQueen
01-13-2011, 12:46 PM
I don't remember having ever eaten Mr Gatti's pizza. Guess we'll have to try it.

kevinpate
01-13-2011, 02:50 PM
I've had it elsewhere, though it's been a long time back, ala early in the 80's. Don't recall offhand ever visiting a Gatti's in the metro area.

ljbab728
01-13-2011, 10:47 PM
Worst. Pizza. Evar.

No one ever agrees about pizza. You've stated your opinion more than once about Gatti's. I've never eaten there so I don't have an opinion but I suppose the response of the public in general will decide instead of what you or I think.

acumpton
01-15-2011, 08:58 AM
I ate at one in Texas a few years ago and it was horrible I thought. I would much rather eat at Cici's if that tells you anything.

Mirage34
01-15-2011, 07:12 PM
It is incredibly bad...

ljbab728
01-15-2011, 11:00 PM
I ate at one in Texas a few years ago and it was horrible I thought. I would much rather eat at Cici's if that tells you anything.

It only tells us what your opinion is. You may be totally correct but, as I said, the public in general will make that decision. I will give them the benefit of the doubt for now. I see no reason to hope that a business fails. I'm sure they aren't in business as a gourmet pizza restaurant and won't represent themselves that way.

jstaylor62
01-16-2011, 05:51 PM
I would much rather see Godfather's Pizza come back...

ddavidson8
01-16-2011, 06:16 PM
I'm sorry I'm not as open minded as you are lj. But let me review. Gatti's is as bad at pizza as Obama is at presidenting.

Matt
01-16-2011, 06:49 PM
Gatti's is as bad at pizza as Obama is at presidenting.

Gatti's is leading us out of the pizza recession that began at Lido's!

Huzzah!

ddavidson8
01-16-2011, 07:32 PM
There's no proof that the pizza recession has even begun.

ljbab728
01-16-2011, 09:47 PM
I'm sorry I'm not as open minded as you are lj. But let me review. Gatti's is as bad at pizza as Obama is at presidenting.

Let's don't get into politics but that makes me more interested in trying their pizza. LOL

kevinpate
01-16-2011, 11:31 PM
I would much rather see Godfather's Pizza come back...

Dinna much care for the one in Norman toward its end days, but early 80's in Tulsa, that was good times and good pizza.

Debzkidz
01-17-2011, 09:03 AM
I'd rather poke my eye out with a dull stick than have to eat at Gatti Town. Used to eat at one in Texas all the time when our kids were young (mid 90's-early 2000's). People don't go there for good pizza, they go there to play the games, drive the cars and earn tickets for cheap Chinese made junk. We would take The kids there as a special treat/reward for good grades, etc. Our kids loved the place, but I doubt they ever ate more than a slice of cheese or pepperoni.

SoonerDave
01-18-2011, 07:18 AM
Worst. Pizza. Evar.

This +1000. And not just the "worst", but the worst. I recall likening it to "lucite on bread." It was horrendous.

jstaylor62
06-01-2011, 02:41 PM
Does anyone have the recipe for Leo's BBQ Strawberry-Banana Cake? I've been looking, but cant find anything so far....

icecold
06-01-2011, 03:59 PM
No, but I can show you how to eat a piece in 2 bites. mmmm (wish they would pay their taxes)