View Full Version : Grandy's

king183
11-04-2009, 06:53 PM
Anyone have any idea if something is going to happen to that building soon? It looks terrible.

nik4411
11-04-2009, 07:03 PM
i agree it does look terrible. i wish there was still a grandys there

kevinpate
11-04-2009, 07:10 PM
Anyone have any idea if something is going to happen to that building soon? It looks terrible.

There are worse buildings in town, but yes, it would be nice to see something replace both Grandy's and the empty nearby Carl's, and the soon to be empty Blockbuster

blangtang
11-05-2009, 12:03 AM
on the other hand, the bank on the corner is starting to take shape.

kevinpate
11-05-2009, 05:21 AM
Yeppers, and aq good thing they built it too. If there is any one thing Norman truly needed, it was yet another banking outlet.

Not sure why we have as many banking spots as we do, but as tiny as it was, I kind of miss that lil' convenience store that used to be there. Tis ok though. I switched to the one a block up at Gray. nice peeps.

Jersey Boss
01-25-2012, 09:09 AM
After years of being closed, it is being torn down. Anybody have the skinny on what is going up on Flood and Main?

mattjank
01-25-2012, 09:52 AM
After years of being closed, it is being torn down. Anybody have the skinny on what is going up on Flood and Main?

Heard on the news that a Dental Depot was going in.

SoonerDave
01-25-2012, 02:08 PM
Wow. Remember driving to OU as a commuter student when that Grandy's was built and opened....now, * poof *.

venture
01-25-2012, 02:43 PM
At least it won't be another drug store. LOL

Been to too many cities where you'll have a CVS, Walgreens, and Rite Aid all on the same corner.

Soonerus
01-25-2012, 02:44 PM
I bet it has been closed for 10 years...

bbhill
01-25-2012, 05:30 PM
I really wish there would have been a retail outlet on that corner rather than a dentist's office. . . At least that eyesore will be gone.

MikeOKC
01-25-2012, 05:34 PM
At least it won't be another drug store. LOL

Been to too many cities where you'll have a CVS, Walgreens, and Rite Aid all on the same corner.

It might happen here. Off topic, I know, but looks like Rite Aid might be coming to Oklahoma. http://rxinsider.com/job_details.php?job_id=16&state=OK&simply=1

swilki
01-25-2012, 09:08 PM
I bet it has been closed for 10 years...

it was still open when I was at OU and I graduated in 08....I think it closed in 07.

SoonerDave
01-26-2012, 07:10 AM
it was still open when I was at OU and I graduated in 08....I think it closed in 07.

Actually, I think it closed and reopened at least once after I graduated waaaaaay back when. The location, despite all the traffic that rolled right in front of it, was not particularly accessible IMHO. That the built it facing Flood was strange, too.

Soonerman
01-27-2012, 11:12 PM
It looks like a Taco Casa is going to be built there. http://www.tacocasatexas.com/showStore.php?id=49 I Love Taco Casa!!

Edit: I stand corrected Taco Casa is going in the old Carl's Jr building on main.

Pete
10-11-2021, 08:02 AM
The Grandy's at 7704 S. Western is set for a full remodel.

Hopefully the locations at 36th & Lincoln (which is now closed) and 39th & Meridian get the same treatment, as they are in very sad shape. I know there is one in Moore as well.

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/grandys101021a.jpg

TheTravellers
10-11-2021, 10:27 AM
The one at 36th and Lincoln had a "For Lease" sign in front of it the last time we went past a couple of weeks ago, doubt it'll get remodeled.

baralheia
10-11-2021, 10:43 AM
According to their website, there are only four Grandy's locations left in Oklahoma - three of which are in the OKC metro:

12th St and I-35 in Moore
I-240 and S Western in South OKC
NW 39th and MacArthur in NW OKC

So it's good to see that, despite closing a few other stores like the one on Lincoln, Grandy's still thinks it would be worthwhile to freshen up their remaining stores... the S Western location sorely needs it. Hopefully it means they have confidence in this market and will eventually expand again.

Roger S
10-11-2021, 12:42 PM
According to their website, there are only four Grandy's locations left in Oklahoma - three of which are in the OKC metro:

12th St and I-35 in Moore
I-240 and S Western in South OKC
NW 39th and MacArthur in NW OKC

So it's good to see that, despite closing a few other stores like the one on Lincoln, Grandy's still thinks it would be worthwhile to freshen up their remaining stores... the S Western location sorely needs it. Hopefully it means they have confidence in this market and will eventually expand again.

If that 4th is the one located in Ardmore.... Noticed it was not open Saturday morning when I ran in to pick up some farm equipment. I could see the breakfast buffet equipment shoved up against the front window and there were no vehicles in the parking lot..

The Grandy's sign out front didn't have anything on it either...... There was a Now Hiring sign stuck in the grass near the Grandy's sign.

Bill Robertson
10-11-2021, 01:18 PM
I haven't been to a Grandy's in a while. One of my employees stopped and got chicken fried steak, egg and cheese biscuits one morning for the crew. The biscuit and egg were good. It was an actual over easy egg. Cheese is cheese. The meat patty was something I'd expect to get in the off brand frozen food section of Walmart.

Pete
10-11-2021, 01:37 PM
^

Yes, their chicken fried steak comes straight out of the freezer.

But their dinner rolls and cinnamon rolls are pretty great as is the ability to get at least a semblance of a home-style meal on a plate from a fast-food outlet.

Of course, you can go through the drive-thru at Chuck Wagon and get a meal that is way better, but I've always had a soft spot for Grandy's for some reason.

Bill Robertson
10-11-2021, 01:46 PM
^

Yes, their chicken fried steak comes straight out of the freezer.

But their dinner rolls and cinnamon rolls are pretty great as is the ability to get at least a semblance of a home-style meal on a plate from a fast-food outlet.

Of course, you can go through the drive-thru at Chuck Wagon and get a meal that is way better, but I've always had a soft spot for Grandy's for some reason.
Grandy's does seem like one of those places you just want to like.

Roger S
10-11-2021, 02:34 PM
....but I've always had a soft spot for Grandy's for some reason.

I miss the days when they had the lady come around the dining room with hot rolls.

G.Walker
10-11-2021, 06:33 PM
I know the one in Moore still does the breakfast buffet, and its very good.

Ward
10-12-2021, 04:33 PM
I miss the days when they had the lady come around the dining room with hot rolls.

Me too. Back when me and the grumpy woman were together we loved to eat at Grandy's a couple of times a week. The food was actually quite decent, and the rolls were especially good, and I appreciated the little old ladies coming around.

Pete
08-22-2022, 03:23 PM
The old Grandy's on the SW corner of NE 36th & Lincoln will become a Scooter's Coffee.

There is room for another building on that site but not sure of the plan.

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/scootersgrandys082222a.jpg

gjl
08-31-2022, 04:14 PM
My wife went to the Grandys on 39th and MacArthur a couple of days ago since they have reopened. She wanted chicken livers and they no longer sell those or gizzards.

Roger S
09-01-2022, 08:20 AM
I can't imagine there's much of a market left for livers and gizzards.... I grew up on a farm and we ate them but it wasn't my favorite part of the chicken. So I'm definitely not going to order them now.... My mom on the other hand will still eat them.

But even bone-in chicken is slowly disappearing since all the generations after mine grew up on nuggets.

gjl
09-01-2022, 10:01 AM
I agree with gizzards. It's just that she could always go there and get livers before they had the fire there and closed for a while.

Boop
09-02-2022, 05:38 PM
I drove passed the Grandy's on South Western and it looks like a barn, it is not very good design-wise

Jersey Boss
09-02-2022, 07:14 PM
I can't imagine there's much of a market left for livers and gizzards.... I grew up on a farm and we ate them but it wasn't my favorite part of the chicken. So I'm definitely not going to order them now.... My mom on the other hand will still eat them.

But even bone-in chicken is slowly disappearing since all the generations after mine grew up on nuggets.

I hear you on the bone in. Some bone in thighs and wings please. Also even harder to find is chicken gravy with fried chicken.
Jim's Famous was good until Swadley ran into "permanetly closed".

Roger S
09-03-2022, 12:13 AM
I hear you on the bone in. Some bone in thighs and wings please. Also even harder to find is chicken gravy with fried chicken.
Jim's Famous was good until Swadley ran into "permanetly closed".

Jim's Famous, before Swadley's ruined it, and Family Affair both had great chicken gravy.

There was also a place down at Healdton called Grasshopper Junction that made white gravy from their chicken drippings in a cast iron skillet.... It was AMAZING!

Unfortunately all 3 are no longer around.