View Full Version : Exhale (dead)

Pages : [1] 2

Urbanized
01-21-2012, 04:36 PM
Uh, what exactly is this place going to be? Someone posted about it in the Automobile Alley thread, regarding a minor Board of Adjustment item (http://www.okc.gov/AgendaPub/cache/2/r0ox2a55az22nk3nw4ay4445/142358701212012063344221.PDF). Now Steve has posted a space plan on his blog (http://blog.newsok.com/okccentral/2012/01/21/meanwhile-on-the-east-edge-of-heritage-hills/), saying it will be before the Planning Commission this Thursday. Here's a link to the full-size image of the plans (http://blog.newsok.com/okccentral/files/2012/01/broadwayplan.jpg).

I think it deserves its own thread, in part because it's not actually in the Automobile Alley district, but also because the place is remarkable for its size and for the configuration. I'd think this would (should) actually concern Heritage Hills more than Edge did/does, as Steve suggests in his post title.

In looking at that plan (and considering the name), I can't see it being anything other than a nightclub. A big one.

MikeOKC
01-21-2012, 04:45 PM
Uh, what exactly is this place going to be? Someone posted about it in the Automobile Alley thread, regarding a minor Board of Adjustment item (http://www.okc.gov/AgendaPub/cache/2/r0ox2a55az22nk3nw4ay4445/142358701212012053020912.PDF). Now Steve has posted a space plan on his blog (http://blog.newsok.com/okccentral/2012/01/21/meanwhile-on-the-east-edge-of-heritage-hills/), saying it will be before the Planning Commission this Thursday. Here's a link to the full-size image of the plans (http://blog.newsok.com/okccentral/files/2012/01/broadwayplan.jpg).

I think it deserves its own thread, in part because it's not actually in the Automobile Alley district, but also because the place is remarkable for its size and for the configuration. I'd think this would (should) actually concern Heritage Hills more than Edge did/does, as Steve suggests in his post title.

In looking at that plan (and considering the name), I can't see it being anything other than a nightclub. A big one.

Steve's post actually says, "This old car dealership building is up at Planning Commission this Thursday for an ABC (liquor) zoning. From the plans below, it looks like the restaurant/bar, “Exhale,” will be a pretty ambitious remodel..."

I don't guess there's any question about what it's going to be, but you're absolutely right - I would think this would touch Heritage Hills much more than the apartment plan.

Urbanized
01-21-2012, 04:50 PM
Yeah, I understood there was ABC zoning, and in fact was adding that to my post as you were quoting me, I guess. There's no doubt it will have liquor, but the question is which ABC zoning it gets. There is a big difference between a restaurant, a bar, and a nightclub. Any of them can serve food. That place has two bar areas and other things that indicate it's not your typical restaurant.

That "performance area" and the empty elevated space below it surrounding it screams nightclub dance floor, and actually could even indicate a topless club.

mcca7596
01-21-2012, 04:50 PM
The thing is though, if such a high profile project like the Mercy hospital redevelopment escaped their purview for so long, they won't even recognize Exhale is there until the day it opens.

Urbanized
01-21-2012, 04:53 PM
Well, if it is a nightclub it should concern more folks than just the HH crowd. Automobile Alley folks, Midtown folks, Uptown 23, and even the police may want to be paying close attention to this one.

wsucougz
01-21-2012, 04:54 PM
Floorplan looks like a stripclub to me. And the name obviously screams restaurant.

MikeOKC
01-21-2012, 04:55 PM
There is a big difference between a restaurant, a bar, and a nightclub. Any of them can serve food. That place has two bar areas and other things that indicate it's not your typical restaurant.

That "performance area" and the empty elevated space below it surrounding it screams nightclub dance floor, and actually could even indicate a topless club.

Hmmm. Very good point. Let's hope the "performance area" is for musical acts and not, uh, acrobats.

Glad you raised this here.

Steve
01-21-2012, 04:55 PM
They are seeking ABC-2 - which would allow for beer, wine and mixed drinks.

Urbanized
01-21-2012, 04:58 PM
They are seeking ABC-2 - which would allow for beer, wine and mixed drinks.
With 50% or more of revenue coming from food sales, correct? ABC-3 is straight liquor?

MikeOKC
01-21-2012, 05:01 PM
The nice "Gentlemen's Clubs" in DFW, and even some of the ones here, have huge lunch and dinner crowds. Sometimes they practically give the food away to lure you in. "Exhale" doesn't sound very foody to me - it sounds...well...like a gentlemen's club. "Performance area" worries me, too.

Urbanized
01-21-2012, 05:05 PM
The nice "Gentlemen's Clubs" in DFW, and even some of the ones here, have huge lunch and dinner crowds. Sometimes they practically give the food away to lure you in. "Exhale" doesn't sound very foody to me - it sounds...well...like a gentlemen's club. "Performance area" worries me, too.
Yep. Also, I don't think they could get ABC-3 if they wanted to, because St. Luke's is within 300 feet of the western boundary of the building. Maybe ABC-2 could be a licencing loophole in this case?

Urbanized
01-21-2012, 05:16 PM
St. Luke's, Downtown OKC Inc., OU Medical Center... ...I can think of all kinds of people who might want to watch this one closely.

kevinpate
01-21-2012, 05:25 PM
FWIW, that floor plan doesn't show anything that would resemble a commercial kitchen with adequate storage/prep/cooking space like you'd generally find in a typical restaurant. Perhaps that space on the far right is a kitchen space? However, it shows no kitchen detail, not even a single water point. As compared to the bathroom facilities, nine sink points along with multiple toilets and urinals are shown over the four rooms. But perhaps that area's detail is all shown on another page of the drawings. Just hit me as odd.

bluedogok
01-21-2012, 05:37 PM
The kitchen (with no equipment shown) is on the far right of the plan with a walk0in cooler and freezer on the top right corner. It looks like a raised dance floor or something in front of the "Performance Area".

It seems like a very incomplete plan to me or one that had much information purposefully left off. I have had to do that before for some GSA projects like the replacement IRS offices in Austin to replace the ones that a plane was flown into. I can't recall doing those any restaurant/bar.

Urbanized
01-21-2012, 05:38 PM
I fixed the broken link to the Board of Adjustment item (http://www.okc.gov/AgendaPub/cache/2/r0ox2a55az22nk3nw4ay4445/142358701212012063344221.PDF) in my original post. That item also points out that there would be an 1800 sq ft mezzanine level that is not shown on these plans. That by itself is the size of a lot of restaurants.

wsucougz
01-21-2012, 05:48 PM
Champagne room.

I fixed the broken link to the Board of Adjustment item (http://www.okc.gov/AgendaPub/cache/2/r0ox2a55az22nk3nw4ay4445/142358701212012063344221.PDF) in my original post. That item also points out that there would be an 1800 sq ft mezzanine level that is not shown on these plans. That by itself is the size of a lot of restaurants.

Steve
01-21-2012, 05:54 PM
One of life's fundamental truths (in the index to the Guy's Code book): There is no champagne in the champagne room.

zimmerokc
01-21-2012, 06:45 PM
I sent the info on to Heritage Hills East, I wonder if they know about it. Seems to be just a restaurant from the Planning Commission packet.

Spartan
01-21-2012, 06:49 PM
I imagine this proposal will give few area stakeholders a reason to exhale...

wsucougz
01-21-2012, 07:05 PM
I imagine this proposal will give few area stakeholders a reason to exhale...

I hear some of them have been waiting for quite some time to do so.

Spartan
01-21-2012, 07:08 PM
But don't call them blue in the face, or this forum will attack you for going after the HHers!

Steve
01-21-2012, 07:46 PM
Often times when clubs have opened up in Bricktown, they take on names of similar theme clubs in bigger cities (RokBar, Pure, etc.). Here's what pops up for Exhale: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvPM9Uo30Ik

ljbab728
01-21-2012, 09:42 PM
Often times when clubs have opened up in Bricktown, they take on names of similar theme clubs in bigger cities (RokBar, Pure, etc.). Here's what pops up for Exhale: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvPM9Uo30Ik

Well, Spartan should enjoy that anyway. If I remember correctly, he was extremely disappointed that OKC didn't get a franchise for the Lingerie Football League.

Spartan
01-22-2012, 12:44 AM
Ha, not so fast. I was annoyed that Mayor Mick would make a moral decision for an entire city, against an event that a lot of people would go to. And it was contained in an arena that families didn't have to be in. What I am against however, is a stag club on the edge of HH..

Well, now we see how you fill your time at the office! Just kidding Steve..

ljbab728
01-22-2012, 01:09 AM
Ha, not so fast. I was annoyed that Mayor Mick would make a moral decision for an entire city, against an event that a lot of people would go to. And it was contained in an arena that families didn't have to be in. What I am against however, is a stag club on the edge of HH.

So just to be sure, Spartan, you're in favor of exposed skin as long as it isn't near HH and the kids can't see? LOL

Spartan
01-22-2012, 01:46 AM
Ha, okay I guess I won't deny that one. Anyone who is opposed to that would have to be a puritan.

BDK
01-22-2012, 07:32 AM
I, for one, am going to bury my head in the sand and hope it's a jazz club while you guys figure this out. Maybe it's just a cunning stratagem by the Edge developers if it does turn out to be a den of iniquity...

kevinpate
01-22-2012, 07:39 AM
The kitchen (with no equipment shown) is on the far right of the plan with a walk0in cooler and freezer on the top right corner. It looks like a raised dance floor or something in front of the "Performance Area".Thanks bluedogok. The lack of detail there compared to the rest of the drawing left me wondering. I dinna pick up on the walk-in units at all, not even the difference in the representation in the doors. I may have let the absence of details fog over my noggin.

It seems like a very incomplete plan to me or one that had much information purposefully left off. ... No argument there either way.

Spartan
01-22-2012, 10:34 AM
I, for one, am going to bury my head in the sand and hope it's a jazz club while you guys figure this out. Maybe it's just a cunning stratagem by the Edge developers if it does turn out to be a den of iniquity...

Ha, that's definitely a valid idea. I was personally looking forward to a development fight on behalf of HH, so that hopefully they can see that we are all still interested in protecting and supporting their neighborhood, as well.

wdj
01-22-2012, 12:12 PM
Based on Steve's logic of the imatation of names, it could also be something like this? Which wouldn't make any sense, since it's not on 39th.

http://gaytravel.about.com/od/gaynightlifegallerie1/ig/Southwest-Gay-Bars/Exhale.-CRL.htm

Steve
01-22-2012, 01:40 PM
wdj - a friend and I noted that as well last night after doing some Google research. Imagine - a full-fledged drag show club in Heritage Hills. It certainly would add some diversity to downtown.

BDP
01-22-2012, 03:24 PM
I guess will just have to wait and see if the hard core laissez faire crowd will visit this thread. ; )

dankrutka
01-22-2012, 03:43 PM
Even if it is any of the aforementioned possibilities, does it really matter? It's not like people are going to leave the club and wander the Heritage Hills neighborhood. If it is built nicely then it's business should stay confined to the property, right? Maybe I'm wrong...

blangtang
01-22-2012, 03:57 PM
when the paperwork says the parking for 70 some spaces will be across the street, I'm thinking this isn't Broadway but some other street. Either way I don't understand why some people are so opposed to the vague concept for this location. There seems to be some kind of insinuation that there will be hookers and strippers handing out cocaine in the parking lot when it could be a similar concept to the prohibition room that was in the Gold Dome until recently.

Easy180
01-22-2012, 05:08 PM
Even if it is any of the aforementioned possibilities, does it really matter? It's not like people are going to leave the club and wander the Heritage Hills neighborhood. If it is built nicely then it's business should stay confined to the property, right? Maybe I'm wrong...

Will likely be a lot of unsavory characters like politicians and lawyers wandering around..There goes the property values

warreng88
01-22-2012, 07:06 PM
Oklahoma City's hottest new club is Exhale. Located on 15th and Broadway in an old car dealership, this place has everything: Tables, chairs, air, human suitcases...

I hope someone gets that reference.

Steve
01-22-2012, 07:24 PM
Stefon!

betts
01-22-2012, 08:26 PM
Maybe it's a chain. Here's an Exhale to soothe the savage beast that is Heritage Hills: "The new Exclusive Christian Urban Lounge in Daytona Beach, Fl."

RadicalModerate
01-22-2012, 08:36 PM
I think the people in East Heritage Hills should be breathing a collective sigh of relief that the place isn't labeled . . .

XXXhale

Urbanized
01-22-2012, 09:24 PM
Maybe it's a chain. Here's an Exhale to soothe the savage beast that is Heritage Hills: "The new Exclusive Christian Urban Lounge in Daytona Beach, Fl."
Yeah, saw that last night. Link was dead. I was wondering how many liquor bars they had. This one has two.

Urbanized
01-22-2012, 09:27 PM
I think the people in East Heritage Hills should be breathing a collective sigh of relief that the place isn't labeled . . .

XXXhale yet.
Fixed.

RadicalModerate
01-23-2012, 07:18 AM
Or maybe, in the name of equal rights, equal access, diversity, women's rights, and stuff like that, it will be a sort of permanent home for groups of Chippendale Dancers clones . . .

(waiting to) Exhale

MartzMimic
01-23-2012, 08:00 AM
I wonder if they've taken into consideration that St. Luke's owns and uses the small office on that same block just west of the proposed establishment? Our Studio 222 after school program is held there. I don't know that there would be a lot of consternation over a nice restaurant, but I don't know many nice restaurants that have barstools around the elevated dance floor.

RadicalModerate
01-23-2012, 08:12 AM
Maybe The Developers will make St. Luke's an offer they can't refuse . . .

(I'm still hung up on the idea of unsavory , demon-rum possessed, zombie characters like politicians and lawyers wandering around Heritage Hills . . . Soliciting votes, having accidents and attempting to collect Workers Compensation insurance.)

Teo9969
01-23-2012, 08:59 AM
I thought OKC zoning laws prohibited strip clubs north of Reno?

RadicalModerate
01-23-2012, 09:02 AM
That thought map is inaccurate.
(If it were accurate, The Developers would simply add OKC to the list of "non-refusable offer" recipients. =)

Pete
01-23-2012, 09:09 AM
At OKCCentral Steve reports he spoke to the restaurant consultant seeking the approval (David Ledbetter) and he confirmed it will not be a strip or hip hop club.

Said it would be more of a family style restaurant, which certainly doesn't seem to match the submitted floor plan.

G.Walker
01-23-2012, 09:09 AM
I was hoping this would be a strip club! As it will only be 5 mins away from my job, and could've had many of my lunch breaks here in the near future! :sofa:

RadicalModerate
01-23-2012, 09:12 AM
Just don't order a Zombie.
(And then try to collect Workers Comp)

Said it would be more of a family style restaurant, which certainly doesn't seem to match the submitted floor plan.
There are "family style restaurants" . . .
And then there are "Family" style restaurants.

G.Walker
01-23-2012, 09:22 AM
There is now way that this is a family style restaurant, they have a stage, dance floor and mezzanine, come on really? HH residents will be winning if this ends up just being upscale bar, rather than a strip club. However, there is no strip clubs in the downtown vicinity, this probably would actually do really well if it did end up being a strip club. Whether you want to admit it or not, there are a lot corporate businessman who love going to strip clubs.

RadicalModerate
01-23-2012, 09:32 AM
The stage is for Quilting Bees, Tractor Repair Clinics and Milking Demonstrations.
Perhaps with the occassional reminder of where the chicken on your plate came from and how it got there.

It should be noted that the dance floor has a small raised area for the Square Dance caller.

It is doubtful that many Orthodox P.E.T.A.rians are in the projected diner demographic.

zimmerokc
01-23-2012, 10:03 AM
I don't think it can be a strip club as they have not asked for that. The C-4 zoning there allows Adult Entertainment Uses as a conditional use. So they would have to have asked for permission for that and they have not. In case you are wondering:

Adult Entertainment Use: "Adult Entertainment Use" includes the following:

A. Adult Amusement or Entertainment: Amusement or entertainment which is distinguished or characterized by an emphasis on acts or material depicting, describing or relating to "Sexual Conduct" or "Specified Anatomical Areas," as defined herein, including, but not limited to, topless or bottomless dancers, exotic dancers, strippers, male or female impersonators, or similar entertainment.
B. Adult Bookstore: An establishment having as a significant portion of its stock in trade books, film, magazines and other periodicals, which are distinguished or characterized by an emphasis on depicting or describing "Sexual Conduct" or "Specified Anatomical Areas."
C. Adult Mini-Motion Picture Theater: An enclosed building with a capacity of less than 50 persons used for presenting material distinguished or characterized by an emphasis on depicting or describing "Sexual Conduct" or "Specified Anatomical Areas."
D. Adult Motel: A motel wherein material is presented, as part of the motel services, via closed circuit TV or otherwise, which is distinguished or characterized by an emphasis on depicting or describing "Sexual Conduct" or "Specified Anatomical Areas."
E. Adult Motion Picture Arcade: Any place at which slug-operated or electronically, electrically or mechanically controlled, still or motion picture machines, projectors or other image-producing devices are maintained to show images to five or fewer persons per machine at any one time, and where the images so displayed are distinguished or characterized by an emphasis on depicting or describing "Sexual Conduct" or "Specified Anatomical Areas."
F. Adult Motion Picture Theater: An enclosed building with a capacity of 50 or more persons used for presenting material distinguished or characterized by an emphasis on depicting or describing "Sexual Conduct" or "Specified Anatomical Areas."
G. Massage Parlor: Any place where, for any form of consideration or gratuity, massage, alcohol rub, administration of fomentations, electric or magnetic treatments, or any other treatment or manipulation of the human body occurs, as part of, or in connection with, "Sexual Conduct," or where any person providing such treatment, manipulation or service related thereto exposes "Specified Anatomical Areas," except that this provision shall not be construed to apply to any clinic operated by a licensed chiropractor or certified massage therapist.
H. Sexual Conduct: "Sexual Conduct" includes the following:
(1) The fondling, or other touching, of human genitals, pubic region, buttocks or female breasts.
(2) Ultimate sex acts, normal or perverted, actual or simulated, including intercourse, oral copulation and sodomy.
(3) Masturbation.
(4) Excretory functions as part of, or in connection with, any of the activities set forth in (1) through (3) above.
I. Sexual Encounter Center: Any building or structure that contains, or is used for, commercial entertainment where the patron, directly or indirectly, is charged a fee to engage in personal contact with, or to allow personal contact by, employees, devices or equipment, or by personnel provided by the establishment, which appeals to the prurient interest of the patron, to include, but not to be limited to, bathhouses, massage parlors, and related or similar activities.
J. Specified Anatomical Areas: "Specified Anatomical Areas" includes the following:
(1) Human genitals, pubic region, buttocks, and female breasts below a point immediately above the top of the areola.
(2) Human male genitals in a discernibly turgid state, even if completely, and opaquely, covered.

Which is way more than I wanted to know!

RadicalModerate
01-23-2012, 10:14 AM
I am not easily impressed.
Wow! < =)

How, 'zactly, do that statute be enforced?
I'd think that even the law, itself, would be "Banned in Boston".
Especially the "turgid" part. Even if Boston is a major league city.
(They'd pronounce it "tuhgid" paht . . . 'specially in South Boston . . . Which could cause confusion. =)

I guess Theyare going for a new incarnation of The Prohibition Room.
(Boston pronunciation: "ah goin' fah a new incahnation . . .")

Sorry . . . Too much "This Old House" on PBS.

RadicalModerate
01-23-2012, 12:31 PM
When it comes right down to it . . .

Who cares what [the abandoned garage/used car dealership] on Broadway becomes . . .
As long as this is on the mechanical jukebox link/interface, next to the tables and barstools and booths, that gives you (and everyone else, btw) the choice of inserting a quarter--or having your phone scanned--in order to play this:

s1HOYUj3W_s&feature=related

It makes nostalgic for the day after my 11th Birthday right before JFK was shot.
And Rick Nelson took the tune to the top o' the charts with a bullet.

Does the plan for the proposed venue stage include "Hologram Projectors"? yet? =)

Steve
01-23-2012, 01:54 PM
At OKCCentral Steve reports he spoke to the restaurant consultant seeking the approval (David Ledbetter) and he confirmed it will not be a strip or hip hop club.

No, he didn't say it would be "family style" - in fact, he wasn't saying much other than it won't be a strip or hip-hop club. Hope to learn more tomorrow.

Pete
01-23-2012, 02:01 PM
You quoted him as comparing the concept to Babe's in Dallas, which is all I meant.

All this is very strange but thanks for your efforts Steve.

RadicalModerate
01-23-2012, 02:24 PM
Thank you both (or is that 'de bot' of you?) for keeping this "issue" in perspective and keepin' it "Strange" . . . =)

Strip Club: No.
Strip Mall: Mebbe.
Strip Other: Almost Fer Shure . . .

The Jury and Planning Commission is out . . .
So while we are waiting . . .
How about . . .

lg1Ibt4xP7g

adaniel
01-23-2012, 02:35 PM
You quoted him as comparing the concept to Babe's in Dallas, which is all I meant.

All this is very strange but thanks for your efforts Steve.

I have been to Babe's on several occasions. A very good restaraunt, but looking at the floorplan it looks like nothing I remember. Babe's is basically a stripped down open restaraunt with big tables to compliment its "family style" theme. I can tell you there is NO stage of any sort. There is certainly no bar, and I don't even think they serve alcohol. Its also about 1/4 the size of this. Their kitchens and cooking areas could be smaller than the average restaraunt simply because they offer few items, but that's the only thing that sounds plausible.

I really think the city is being taken for a ride. I mean, who the hell names a family place "Exhale"?

EDIT: This is their website (http://www.babeschicken.com/). You can see for yourself how similar the concepts are.

dankrutka
01-23-2012, 08:39 PM
No, he didn't say it would be "family style" - in fact, he wasn't saying much other than it won't be a strip or hip-hop club. Hope to learn more tomorrow.

I actually think this city needs a good hip hop club a lot more than another family style place. Diversity is good for people and establishments... and this is an entertainment district and area.

Pete
01-23-2012, 09:43 PM
On OKC Central two different posters are saying the format will be a steakhouse with country & western live music.