|

Description
Enter description here.
Latest News
Enter latest news here.
Milestones

Links
Gallery

Just got a call from a concerned neighbor. Apparently, a large surface parking lot is planned for the SW corner of 6th and Walker across from the Shell station and Emerson Alternative School.

The developer is from Norman and states that it is to provide parking for tenants at the Athenian building at 6th/Hudson one block to the east.

This proposal is to go before the now formally infamous Downtown Design Review Committee meeting this Thursday.

metro
01-16-2012, 10:43 AM
Oh geez, just what we need, but correct me if I'm wrong, it already is an old abandoned surface parking lot, just with weeds growing through it. This is a prime corner ripe with potential.

dankrutka
01-16-2012, 10:44 AM
Please NO!!!

MDot
01-16-2012, 11:10 AM
That's pitiful.

wschnitt
01-16-2012, 11:38 AM
NEW does not really work here. It is more like-redone.

Spartan
01-16-2012, 11:40 AM
The DDRC should love this. I bet they're just salivating over some more parking as I type this out.

Morons... good catch, Jeff. Not that there's anything we can do about it evidently, but this will inevitably just be more fodder to hold against the DDRC.

By the way, when it comes to contentious approvals and stuff of the sort, I can only think of one instance in which any of these preposterous committees, DDRC, BUDC, etc., sided with urban advocates--Bricktown McDonald's 2008.

wschnitt
01-16-2012, 11:54 AM
I can only think of one instance in which any of these preposterous committees, DDRC, BUDC, etc., sided with urban advocates--Bricktown McDonald's 2008.

I am going to this meeting on Thursday, it should be a good one.

Oil Capital
01-16-2012, 01:03 PM
I don't see the big deal here. Converting an abandoned parking lot/vacant land into a functioning surface parking lot will not prevent it from being developed in the future. At some point, demand for development will be sufficient that surface parking will no longer be an economical use for the property. At that point, the property will still be easily built upon. In the meantime, we get rid of a weed-strewn parcel of property and upgrade (however slightly) to a clean parking lot. The Downtown Design Review Committee should just impose some reasonable landscaping requirements and let it happen.

Popsy
01-16-2012, 01:36 PM
Too much common sense in your post there O. C. This group will not be able to compute. They would much rather be critical of our city government and refer to them as morons than to use their brains to think through something as you have done.

MDot
01-16-2012, 02:02 PM
Too much common sense in your post there O. C. This group will not be able to compute. They would much rather be critical of our city government and refer to them as morons than to use their brains to think through something as you have done.

Sounds more like you are trying to reference Spartan more than you are this entire "group", you make it too obvious by stating we are calling the city government morons and being too critical of them when Nick is the only one criticizing the DDRC, plus he called them morons which you directly quoted (not to point fingers at you Spartan). Why don't you just reference him directly instead of trying to make everyone who doesn't share yours and Oil Capital's opinion look like they are too incompetent and illogical to understand the concept of why a developer from Norman would build/repave another surface parking lot on a "prime" spot that happens to already be an abandoned surface parking lot? Seems like the more logical thing to do unless you are really that pissy of a person and call out everyone for one persons opinion which I don't know you personally so I won't judge you.

kevinpate
01-16-2012, 02:20 PM
Out of curiosity, can anyone describe the most recent three effort(s) by anyone who has sought to convert this 'prime' location from an abandoned bit of blight into something else?

A decent lot arising from a turd in a punchbowl sort of lot doesn't seem all that horrid to me, particularly if no one else is competing for the 'prime' location.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=NW+6th+and+Walker+oklahoma+city,+ok&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x87b217327088410b:0x6207fb3e72fad12f,N+Walk er+Ave+%26+NW+6th+St,+Oklahoma+City,+OK+73102&gl=us&ei=pJEUT7P_J8OC2AX16OmfDw&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=image&resnum=1&ved=0CCEQ8gEwAA

MDot
01-16-2012, 02:39 PM
I don't know the history of it so I suppose I should know it before I call it prime, which is a reason I wrote prime in quotes because I'm not sure. I guess if they can do it the way Oil Capital described it it wouldn't be so bad compared to what it is now. And in the future I suppose someone might come along with a nice proposal and it won't be a parking lot any longer (uber optimistic).

But this thing hasn't even been approved yet so I'm not sure why we (myself included) are in such a huff n' puff over this, let's atleast wait until it's approved before we start a riot.

Just the facts
01-16-2012, 02:41 PM
They key word in the phrase "surface parking lot" is surface. I would prefer that surface lots no longer be allowed, period. If they want to build a garage, even a two story one would be fine. The problem with surface lots is that they tend to stay surface parking for a long time because they are easy money for the owner and the more that develops around them the more money they make, thus reducing the chance of them ever being redeveloped into anything else. The last parking lot in OKC that was turned into anything else was in existance for nearly 30 years. I can only think of two active parking lots that were removed for a new building; Devon Tower and the Renaissance Hotel.

The moral of the story is - if this lot goes surface parking it will remain surface parking until 2050.

jungmuny
01-16-2012, 02:46 PM
unless there was a maps 4 that included a massive downtown garage. That would instantly bankrupt all the parking lot scammers and usher in a new era of development.

kevinpate
01-16-2012, 02:52 PM
unless there was a maps 4 that included a massive downtown garage. That would instantly bankrupt all the parking lot scammers and usher in a new era of development.

Nah, if you could magically create a 40 story free for life parking lot that is 2-5 blocks from where folks want to be, the pay lots across the street or a block away (from where folks want to be) would likely remain full, with a wait list for spaces.

jungmuny
01-16-2012, 02:57 PM
Personally I walk up to a mile to avoid paying those scumbags. There is nothing down there worthy of "hitting it and quitting it." If you go you may as well walk a ways. Does anyone know of a public garage ever happening? This is something I always wondered about.

Oil Capital
01-16-2012, 03:02 PM
They key word in the phrase "surface parking lot" is surface. I would prefer that surface lots no longer be allowed, period. If they want to build a garage, even a two story one would be fine. The problem with surface lots is that they tend to stay surface parking for a long time because they are easy money for the owner and the more that develops around them the more money they make, thus reducing the chance of them ever being redeveloped into anything else. The last parking lot in OKC that was turned into anything else was in existance for nearly 30 years. I can only think of two active parking lots that were removed for a new building; Devon Tower and the Renaissance Hotel.

The moral of the story is - if this lot goes surface parking it will remain surface parking until 2050.

Nonsense. So, the last parking lot that was converted had been in existence for 30 years. So what? How many new buildings did we not build in that time because surface parking lots were making too much money? That was a 30-year period of time during most of which little construction took place. We now anticipate significant construction going forward. Are you really telling us that if this vacant parcel becomes surface parking that a new construction project will more likely replace existing occupied structures rather than go to this location, or that a new construction project will not occur at all because the parking lots are too profitable?

If this parcel remains a surface parking lot until 2050, the chances are very strong that it would also remain a vacant lot until 2050.

catch22
01-16-2012, 03:06 PM
Personally I walk up to a mile to avoid paying those scumbags. Does anyone know of a public garage ever happening?

I believe one is planned for (I.E. in a master plan, not on the drawing boards right now) the Multi-modal transit hub (Santa Fe Station) in Bricktown...

I believe the city is also looking at building a new public garage in the downtown core, still in the concept and location phase though. Someone can correct me if I have this wrong.

Urban Pioneer
01-16-2012, 04:37 PM
I guess the reason that I even posted notice about this proposal is that there are so many of you that have strong feelings about the potential of Walker.

The problem with surface parking lots that I have personally observed over many years, is that rarely are they "re-purposed" with meaningful structural development.

Ironically though, the Athenian building has been unable to be sold or leased because of its lack of parking. In fact, there is quite a back story to the building as it was redeveloped with Murrah Bombing funds, but a parking lot/structure did not accompany it. Thus it has remained an empty building for many years.

You have to factor in though that significant infill is happening in SOSA and Emerson School complex is about to be completely renovated. The people who are now talking to me with concern are expressing their lack of desire regarding the aesthetics that a mass of parked cars will bring to the area and the potentially lost opportunity for a significant corner development.

Maybe its a good thing. Maybe its a bad thing. As a neighbor myself, I just hope that if it is approved, it includes significant landscaping and sidewalks.

Rover
01-16-2012, 04:49 PM

I guess this is true, but may also be true that if it is a lot full of weeds it will likely remain weeds til 2050. History shows this is likely to be true. Until more work and living comes downtown then laws denying parking lots will not force development to happen. If the land can't turn a higher profit than income from parking, why should it be developed at lesser per ft. income? One way to look at it is that if there isn't more density developed around it, there won't be cars to park there. And, just maybe having parking in the area will encourage the owner next door to develop something that requires parking...like retail. The issue is making the highest and best use something more profitable. You can jump really high maybe, but that doesn't mean you can escape gravity.

Don't get me wrong, I hate surface parking lots as much as the next urbanite. But you can't always legislate and force development. What they can do instead is create and enforce standards, even for parking lots....AND for vacant lots.

BTW, it doesn't cost much to dig up and remove asphalt. As soon as a higher and better use comes along, the asphalt on the ground will be virtually no impediment.

soonerguru
01-16-2012, 06:53 PM
I guess this is true, but may also be true that if it is a lot full of weeds it will likely remain weeds til 2050. History shows this is likely to be true. Until more work and living comes downtown then laws denying parking lots will not force development to happen. If the land can't turn a higher profit than income from parking, why should it be developed at lesser per ft. income? One way to look at it is that if there isn't more density developed around it, there won't be cars to park there. And, just maybe having parking in the area will encourage the owner next door to develop something that requires parking...like retail. The issue is making the highest and best use something more profitable. You can jump really high maybe, but that doesn't mean you can escape gravity.

Don't get me wrong, I hate surface parking lots as much as the next urbanite. But you can't always legislate and force development. What they can do instead is create and enforce standards, even for parking lots....AND for vacant lots.

BTW, it doesn't cost much to dig up and remove asphalt. As soon as a higher and better use comes along, the asphalt on the ground will be virtually no impediment.

More jobs and residences are coming downtown. There are almost monthly announcements at this point. It's a good bet that 6th and Walker has a lot of development potential, particularly considering the advance of Midtown, SOSA, Saint Anthony, and Downtown in general.

Just the facts
01-16-2012, 07:38 PM
Are you really telling us that if this vacant parcel becomes surface parking that a new construction project will more likely replace existing occupied structures rather than go to this location, or that a new construction project will not occur at all because the parking lots are too profitable?

No, I am saying income producing property tends to keep producing the same type of income. With all the vacant lots around downtown anything producing income will be built on last.

jungmuny
01-16-2012, 07:45 PM
Nah, if you could magically create a 40 story free for life parking lot that is 2-5 blocks from where folks want to be, the pay lots across the street or a block away (from where folks want to be) would likely remain full, with a wait list for spaces.

You wouldn't need 40 stories but I'm not sure how much you would. If one was built behind the art museum and another in Bricktown, that would make all surrounding lots eligible for development and help nudge the city toward density.

Rover
01-16-2012, 08:18 PM
No, I am saying income producing property tends to keep producing the same type of income. With all the vacant lots around downtown anything producing income will be built on last.
They keep producing that income until they are worth more for something else. Simple as that.

Just the facts
01-16-2012, 09:27 PM
Looking at this lot, it sits at the top of a nice hill with a really good view of downtown - and I mean a REALLY GOOD VIEW. I am surprise the owner would even think about a parking lot. If it was me a I would do an L shaped stair-step complex with a 2 story building along 5th and stepping up to 6 or 7 stories along 6th. Those would be view unavailable anywhere else in OKC.

Oil Capital
01-16-2012, 09:28 PM

So, what's the problem? Is it really an important issue whether this particular property is the first, second, 42nd or last to be built on?

Skyline
01-16-2012, 09:44 PM
Okc doesn't have enough visionaries.

There are a few, but not enough, not yet. They are on there way, but they are only kids today.

Older cities, that have more urban development have people that have grown up inside the city and have dreams of what they want to do with their home city. Okc lost at least a generation of these types. Only recently with the new developments, housing, restaurants, retail, schools, museums, libraries, NBA arenas, Devon tower, Bricktown, etc. There are kids today that someday will become adults in Okc and want to improve the inner city in which they love and have grown up in.

Once downtown Okc has this type of continuous cycle, the urban areas of Okc will truly become great.

That is my MLK thought of the day.

Just the facts
01-16-2012, 09:52 PM
So, what's the problem? Is it really an important issue whether this particular property is the first, second, 42nd or last to be built on?

The problem is the location. OKC should be trying to protect urban corridors and target them for high density development. Move this a block off Walker and it wouldn't be such a big deal.

How about no surface lots abutting Walker or Robinson between NW10 and the River nor along Reno, Sheridan, 6th and 10th between Classen and the railroad?

Rover
01-16-2012, 10:58 PM
Will the city buy up and develop the property or just restrict anything to be done on the private property? We need to draw up the only acceptable developments so owners and investors know beforehand that the propert is restricted and what that means.

Spartan
01-16-2012, 11:16 PM
Surface lots are not the problem. The are a viable use case and at the present, may be the highest best use of the property. Outside of a large scale development, it is hard to imagine utterly prohibiting them.

Are they relics of a car-centric culture? Sure. But then you have another issue to solve --getting people out of their cars. You can't remove lots and expect people to start walking. We parked in Bricktown and Downtown often. After all, taking the bus wasn't an option after 6pm. So parking was necessary.

Parking garages are great but are vastly innefective when you have to walk past a lot of nothing to get to your destination. Forced use of a central parking facility will only ensure that businesses not adjoining the garage would be severely penalized. If most people are arriving by car, then garages must be frequent and affordable. With density though, you solve this problem with more people within a walkable area.

As urbanization occurs, surface lots will evolve out of the picture. For now, they do serve a purpose. Albiet not the most ideal purpose, the "solution" is not better. We need more focus on changing the game and less focus on the current color of the pieces. Intense urbanization will go very far in seeing these lots out the door.

So how is what you admittedly call "not the most ideal purpose" also the "highest best use of the property?"

DirtLaw
01-17-2012, 06:27 AM
So how is what you admittedly call "not the most ideal purpose" also the "highest best use of the property?"

highest and best use is a term of art whereas the most ideal purpose of any particular land is left to the minds of many. A surface parking lot may be the highest and best use and the most ideal purpose for a piece of property for the owner but not necessarily the rest of the public.

Just the facts
01-17-2012, 06:31 AM
Will the city buy up and develop the property or just restrict anything to be done on the private property? We need to draw up the only acceptable developments so owners and investors know beforehand that the propert is restricted and what that means.

It is really pretty simple - just say no surface parking lots along Walker or Robinson between NW10th and the Oklahoma River. The City restricts what can go on private property all the time. The OKC code is full of landuse and zoning requirments. In fact, it is one of the primary things local government does. It protects street frontage on urban corridors and provides a place for those wishing to build surface lots so I don't see what the controversy would be. Yes it would be nice if the City took an active role in doing this kind of stuff before hand (and in some cases they do) but you can't think of everything people will do before hand so you have to make rules as you go as well.

http://www.nplanonline.org/nplan/pfd-element/reducing-dead-space

Categories: Buildings, Community Character, Parking, Pedestrian Oriented Land Uses
Why Is This Important?
It is unappealing to walk by the blank, unfriendly expanses created by windowless structures or by parking lots or garages. "Dead spaces" like these lack visual interest, often feel oppressive to pedestrians, and can encourage crime.

Examples of dead spaces include unadorned surface parking lots (empty or full), long blank walls, vacant lots, reflective glass facades, featureless open spaces, and garage doors lined up along the street. Communities can help curtail dead space by approaches such as providing that parking lots must be concealed behind buildings, requiring buildings to have windows at street level, and encouraging undulating facades and setbacks.

Code Examples
Seattle and Fort Worth address two different aspects of preventing dead space in the following code sections.

Seattle’s code limits parking that is visible from the main street, creating a set of standards and requirements that differ depending on the typology of the street. On class I pedestrian streets, parking is only allowed in the rear of buildings or where it is concealed by other uses. On class II pedestrian streets, parking is permitted at street level, but it must be screened from view and 30% of the parking must be separated from the street by other uses, the façade of which must not present as an imposing blank wall. The code from Fort Worth focuses on preventing blank stretches of wall.

Fort Worth requires that, for new buildings, 25% or more of the portion fronting on public streets or spaces must have transparent windows.

Land Use Code: Parking
Seattle, Wash., Mun. Code § 23.49.019(B)(1) (2009).
a. On Class I pedestrian streets and designated green streets, parking is not permitted at street level unless separated from the street by other uses, provided that garage doors need not be separated. b. On Class II pedestrian streets, parking may be permitted at street level if: (1) at least thirty (30) percent of the street frontage of any street level parking area, excluding that portion of the frontage occupied by garage doors, is separated from the street by other uses; (2) the facade of the separating uses satisfies the transparency and blank wall standards for Class I pedestrian streets for the zone in which the structure is located; (3) the portion of the parking, excluding garage doors, that is not separated from the street by other uses is screened from view at street level; and (4) the street facade is enhanced by architectural detailing, artwork, landscaping, or similar visual interest features.

Thunder
01-17-2012, 06:40 AM
I was in the area yesterday, but I just now read this topic. That is good news for improved parking. I believe its always important to maintain parking spaces, even if the need arises for a complete repaving. Is there any renderings available? Lets hope there are several curb-islands within the parking lot for trees and landscaping.

One at a time, OKC continue to improve with new (either complete replacement or repaved) roads, streets, and parking lots. Especially for the parking lots, I feel its most lacking, so its always important to create new parking lots and/or maintain older parking lots into useful. For example, Deep Deuce and The Hill apartments have no parking lots, so people must park in the streets, which are very limited, crowded, and very dangerous.

Rover
01-17-2012, 07:32 AM
I always love quoting restrictions from Seattle or Portland. One of my friends who owns one of the largest design-build contracting firms in the country (also based in Seattle) refers to Seattle as "the Communist State of America. The reality is that they can demand more there because the demand for the land is much greater for many reasons, most having nothing to do with site use restrictions. When you bargain from strength you can demand more. If you negotiate from weakness, everyone just takes a pass.

I agree with stronger restrictions regarding sight barriers and landscaping, non permanent structures, etc., but it needs to be done in advance and clearly written. That's where the effort needs to be. Can't blame landowners for doing what's best for them under the law. Get to work on it if you feel strongly. In the meantime, driving by trashy vacant lots don't help either the appeal of a street nor does it make it more appealing as a development target. And, as I've stated, a new asphalt layer doesn't impede it's development either.

Just the facts
01-17-2012, 07:55 AM
I always love quoting restrictions from Seattle or Portland. One of my friends who owns one of the largest design-build contracting firms in the country (also based in Seattle) refers to Seattle as "the Communist State of America. The reality is that they can demand more there because the demand for the land is much greater for many reasons, most having nothing to do with site use restrictions. When you bargain from strength you can demand more. If you negotiate from weakness, everyone just takes a pass.

I agree with stronger restrictions regarding sight barriers and landscaping, non permanent structures, etc., but it needs to be done in advance and clearly written. That's where the effort needs to be. Can't blame landowners for doing what's best for them under the law. Get to work on it if you feel strongly. In the meantime, driving by trashy vacant lots don't help either the appeal of a street nor does it make it more appealing as a development target. And, as I've stated, a new asphalt layer doesn't impede it's development either.

I used Seattle because the web site I use cites them as an example so other cities have a resource when planning their own codes. It keeps cities from having to re-invent the wheel. I agree it needs to be done in advance and clearly written - that is why the City should do it now. It might not stop this lot but it would stop future lots, or at least direct them to area where they are acceptable.

Spartan
01-17-2012, 10:30 PM
By saying "at present". The best use of a property is a moving target.

I think then the question becomes how long do we expect "at present" to last. If this wasn't on Walker, perhaps any improvement would be ideal. But I also tend to agree with Kerry's assessment of the permanence of these things. The reality is that as long as they are making money, they will never go away. Look at Bricktown.

Do we really want Bricktown's systemic problems (which we KNOW have led to the rise of Mid-town and other districts where development is easier) to become Mid-town's problems too? If anything, we should know that Bricktown is a model for long-term development failure (unless you want a plateau). Then the question becomes, "how ambitious should our city planning be?" I would answer that question by saying it should be realistically ambitious. And it's not totally unheard of to (-GASP-) deny a permit for a surface parking lot, so I just happen to think that is the no-brainer thing to do if we truly purport to have a realistically ambitious city planning.

However we really know that we have no city planning whatsoever. So as far as my high and mighty rhetoric on our values reflected in city planning, I guess if we have no values, then admittedly I am blowing smoke after all. Or maybe that's not the case, but let's just say 2011 was a very bad year for city planning values, especially on the heels of an overwhelmingly reaffirming vote in city direction. What a convenient time for the elite and monied interests to reclaim their stranglehold on the design review process...

Just the facts
01-17-2012, 10:40 PM
Darn good point about Bricktown Spartan. Can anyone point me to the giant parking lot in Deep Deuce?

Oil Capital
01-18-2012, 12:28 AM
After a brief review of the Downtown Design District regulations, it appears to me that this will indeed not be a review of the proposed use. In other words, they will not be seeking approval of the use of the parcel as a parking lot. They will only be seeking (and will have to obtain) approval of the design of the parking lot. The landscaping requirements are pretty extensive.

So, it appears that we will be replacing a very ugly, weed- and broken asphalt covered vacant property for a relatively attractively-landscaped parking lot. The horror of it! in the fevered minds of some urbanists, this means that the property will be forevermore a surface parking lot. This of course is utter nonsense. Just in Oklahoma City in fairly recent history, the Renaissance Hotel, the library, and Devon Tower have all replaced former parking. I believe Corporate Tower did as well. If the property is valuable for development today, it will still be valuable for development the day after the new parking lot opens and I am completely confident that the owner of the parking lot will listen to any offers from prospective developers.

Part of developing a vibrant downtown is attracting businesses that employ people. Those people have to park somewhere, and equally important, OKC must maintain respect for business and property owners and their property rights. It does not send a very business-friendly signal, to say the least, to suddenly start telling property owners that they cannot use their property for parking because it is not sufficiently urban for our tastes. Yes, let's tell owners of currently vacant properties that they must sit on their vacant property and wait for the arrival of a developer with an approved plan for an approved type of development designed by an approved architect and blessed by the design committee, all as dictated by city hall, and they dare not even think of trying to earn any money off of it in the meantime. That will really provide a long-term boost to development of downtown OKC.

Just the facts
01-18-2012, 06:32 AM
All I can say Oil Capital is that we have two different objectives and my objective doesn't include large surface parking lots. My objective is creating walkable neighborhoods and traditional neighborhood development where cars are a liability, not a necessity.

Urban Pioneer
01-18-2012, 07:29 AM
I recieved another call from someone who wanted to explain what their concers were. They are upset that the proposed parking lot design extends all the way to the corner two lots at Walker. Apparently, the existing lot is mid-block.

They argued that having a surface parking lot that is larger than the existing one and extends to a street corner would be a violation of the DDRC ordinance. They actually seemed ok with another mid-block lot with landscaping if it is going to happen. It is the ommission of the corner they are particularly concerned about.

Oil Capital
01-18-2012, 09:56 AM
All I can say Oil Capital is that we have two different objectives and my objective doesn't include large surface parking lots. My objective is creating walkable neighborhoods and traditional neighborhood development where cars are a liability, not a necessity.

No. We have the exact same objective. But here in reality-land, cars are a necessity. In support of your objective of creating walkable neighborhoods, converting this parcel from its current condition to a nicely-landscaped and screened parking lot will be a step in the right direction. Also here in reality-land, the choice on the table is not between (1) a parking lot and (2) a 50-story skyscraper or other urbanist-approved development. The choice on the table is rather between (a) a weed- and broken asphalt covered vacant lot and (b) a nicely-landscaped parking lot. To use the appellation provided by one or our resident self-proclaimed urban experts, they would have to be morons to choose the status quo over improvement.

And there is simply no evidence that once a property becomes a parking lot it will necessarily remain a parking lot forever. It will remain a parking lot until someone has a development proposal for the land that provides a greater economic return.

Urban Pioneer
01-18-2012, 10:00 AM
Dear Scottye,

I am writing to protest the construction of a surface parking lot proposed in Case # 11-00101. Please include this e-mail in the packet for the Commission.

The proposal clearly does not meet §7200.1.G(9)(a)2 of the Downtown Design District Development Criteria:

Automotive: Parking Lot
Parking lots should not be adjacent to a street corner, rather, located on the interior of the block in order to allow space for a building or structure to be located on the corner lot, therefore keeping building mass intact on corner lots. (emphasis added)

The staff report claims that “developing a structure at the corner of this small lot would be difficult due to the sharp grade change and may result in this area remaining undeveloped.”

The difficulty imposed by the grade change can be overcome with the use of retaining walls or creative engineering. One of the attractive features of this area of downtown is the grade changes and hills that provide for views of the skyline. There are developments occurring all over the DTD-1 district on land with similar grade changes. I am currently building a house on a piece of land with a nearly 20’ grade change at 824 NW 7th Street. We used the grade change to our advantage by building a garage into the slope of the land. Another example is the house recently constructed on 617 NW 5th Street that is built partially into the grade. The dramatic cantilevered second story of the Lovallo house on NW 7th Street is yet another example of the creative use of a grade change to enhance a project.

This district needs more density achieved through the construction of buildings and fewer parking lots. There are several existing parking structures in the vicinity of the proposed lot. I urge the Committee to reject this proposal because it clearly does not comply with the letter of §7200.1.G(9)(a)2 and is not in the best interest of developing the DTD-1 District.

Sincerely,

Lee Peoples
824 NW 7th Street

Rover
01-18-2012, 10:20 AM
Just a question (and don't take this as an endorsement of surface parking as an ideal), don't you think that any business would more likely be attracted to locate next to an attractive lot with cheap parking for their employees/customers/residents than next to a weed infested (usually trashy) perennially vacant lot? Maybe the city can restrict surface to x% of any particular block or area of blocks. Done strategically, couldn't it be an incentive to get other development to the adjacent or nearby lots? Sometimes you have to make lemonade from lemons (sorry for being cliche).

Oil Capital
01-18-2012, 10:30 AM
Looks like he has a good point regarding running the parking lot to the corner.

Just the facts
01-18-2012, 11:30 AM
I am glad to see OKC has already addressed the parking lot situation and accounted for building mass at the street. I don't give the people at the planning department enough credit. Since this requirement is written in advance and is pretty clear, I suspect everyone will be in favor of opposing this request.

kevinpate
01-18-2012, 11:37 AM
As the corner has been vacant ferevah n a day, if they wanna approve a nicely done p-lot there I would not lose any sleep. Variances are possible for a reason. A space is either going to be what someone is actually willing to make it, or it's going to be vacant, unkempt and ugly. And that's true no matter how much one wishes to dream of glittery unicorns munching cotton candy hay at a street side mystical creature cafe with minimal set-backs and unicorn rental offices on an upper floor with caretaker residences above the offices.

Just the facts
01-18-2012, 11:52 AM
I have a dollar in my pocket so I might as well and go spend it now instead of saving it and spending later when I have two dollars. What is the difference between spending $2 on one item or $1 each on 2 items.

Skyline
01-18-2012, 12:09 PM
I am glad to see OKC has already addressed the parking lot situation and accounted for building mass at the street. I don't give the people at the planning department enough credit. Since this requirement is written in advance and is pretty clear, I suspect everyone will be in favor of opposing this request.

Wasn't it also pretty clear in regards to additional parking in Bricktown along the canal?

How did that turn out?

Just the facts
01-18-2012, 12:30 PM
Wasn't it also pretty clear in regards to additional parking in Bricktown along the canal?

How did that turn out?

None of the new parking in Bricktown is canal front though. It is all one level above the canal - at street level. Thus the problem.

Urban Pioneer
01-18-2012, 01:36 PM
Dear Scottye,

I am asking that my comments be placed in the record for the hearing on this case.

I examined the parcel in question using Google Street View.

I found that the staff report is inaccurate in at least three (3) respects:

1) I was surprised to discover that the borders of the parcel facing Walker and facing 6th Street are effectively level with those streets. The only significant grade is at the SE corner near the alley.

2) I also note that the parcel has been built on in the past, with what appears to have been a house, indicated by the presence of steps facing Walker and a disused driveway entrance off of 5th.. Since the parcel was once suitable for construction, it should still be suitable for future construction. As noted by Lee Peoples, there are several houses in the immediate area that are built on much more imposing slopes, often with striking designs.

3) The staff report statement that the parking lot would be "somewhat obscured from view of pedestrians and drivers along Walker Ave" is patently incorrect. A pedestrian viewing that parcel from Walker or 5th would have a clear view of any parking lot.

Therefore, I cannot concur with the City Planning report that this minor elevation change at the alley makes the parcel suitable for a parking lot and unsuitable for other development. In fact this is a prime site on Walker. The staff report is misleading as written.

I request that the Downtown Design Review Committee reject this application.

Best regards,

Bill

William R. Lovallo, Ph.D.
Professor of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences
University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center
VA Medical Center (151A)
921 NE 13th Street
Oklahoma City, OK 73104

Just the facts
01-18-2012, 02:45 PM
I didn't read the Staff report but they did really write that this lot is not suitable for development?

soonerguru
01-18-2012, 08:21 PM
WTF is up with city staff? Are their jobs threatened if they make sensible recommendations? Any qualified planning person would recognize the growth of Midtown and the importance of that intersection. Is there some Attila the Hun type running around over there scaring the daylights out of people? If this is approved there is something cancerous happening with our city staff.

soonerhcf
01-18-2012, 08:43 PM
The rights of property owners don't matter much on this forum, huh?

mcca7596
01-18-2012, 08:53 PM

It's not that they don't matter. It's just hard to swallow when a project goes against the goals/directions of the surrounding neighborhood.

Just the facts
01-18-2012, 09:14 PM

The owners bought the land, and all the regulations that come with it. Case closed. Next.

Spartan
01-18-2012, 09:35 PM

That's a lame excuse. It's like telling the cop who pulls you over for speeding that it's a free country.

soonerguru
01-18-2012, 10:02 PM

So you're totally cool with the 20-foot-high lime green inflated phallus lawn sculpture I'll be putting up in my lawn next door to your house?

dankrutka
01-18-2012, 10:56 PM
That's a lame excuse. It's like telling the cop who pulls you over for speeding that it's a free country.

Damn. That's what I told him last time!

dankrutka
01-18-2012, 10:57 PM
so you're totally cool with the 20-foot-high lime green inflated phallus lawn sculpture i'll be putting up in my lawn next door to your house?

do it!

soonerhcf
01-19-2012, 05:49 AM
The owners bought the land, and all the regulations that come with it. Case closed. Next.

The regulations do not prevent the construction of a parking lot... Before you act like you know what you're talking about, you should actually know what you're talking about.