View Full Version : Custino's

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

ctchandler
12-22-2011, 03:43 PM
I have been waiting all day for somebody to save me the embarrassment of asking this question. But it appears it's not going to happen, so would somebody please tell me where Custino's restaurants were located in the area. In the 90's I was eating out every day but I guess my senility has taken over again and I don't remember. For those of you that haven't read the article in the Oklahoman, Danny Falcone and Phil Custino have formed a pasta partnership at Falcone's Pizzeria and Deli at 6705 N May Ave. I'm not sure if this is the right place for this but I had to ask and I don't believe the 90's belongs in the "Nostalgia" group.
Thanks,
C. T.

MadMonk
12-22-2011, 03:46 PM
Wasn't it on N. May, south of Hefner? Maybe I'm thinking of a different Italian place.

ctchandler
12-22-2011, 03:48 PM
Madmonk,
I believe that is Papa Dio's.
C. T.

Wasn't it on N. May, south of Hefner? Maybe I'm thinking of a different Italian place.

MikeOKC
12-22-2011, 03:57 PM
Madmonk,
I believe that is Papa Dio's.
C. T.

I remember the one on North May - wasn't it on the east side of May just south of Wilshire?

SoonerQueen
12-22-2011, 04:32 PM
It was on N May, south of Wilshire in the old Taco Bell location. We used to get food from there all the time.

tuck
12-22-2011, 04:32 PM
It was in the current Chelino's spot on North May. So Custino is resurfacing?

MikeOKC
12-22-2011, 04:37 PM
It was in the current Chelino's spot on North May. So Custino is resurfacing?

They were in the old Chelino's at 59th and Brookline and also the old Taco Bell location south of Wilshire. Just not at the same time.

Yes, Phil Custino and Falcone are teaming up at the present Falcone's location. They're already serving the classic Custino's lasagne.

Martin
12-22-2011, 07:05 PM
there was a custino's just north of i-240 and western where twitty burger was originally. i could have sworn that there was another italian food place in that same spot in the mid 80's but i can't remember the name for the life of me. -M

bluedogok
12-22-2011, 08:36 PM
The old Taco Bell on N May that SoonerQueen and MikeOKC posted up is where I remember them being located.

Martin
12-23-2011, 06:06 AM
they grew to have multiple locations... i'm not sure which one was the original, but i'm pretty certain it wasn't the southside one. -M

ctchandler
12-23-2011, 09:42 AM
This isn't very important, I was just curious as to why I couldn't remember it, but it appears most of us have limited memories of his places. OH well, I'm sure his food was good. Time will tell (since memory obviously doesn't).
C. T.

RadicalModerate
12-23-2011, 01:38 PM
I guess that I can't understand why (The Original) "Falcone's" (just north of the tire place by Wilshire?)--the third best Authentic New York Style Pizza Place in OKC (right after Perri's and that old converted house in Nicoma Park) can't make it in this market . . .

In fact, I'm sure that I can't understand why.
No guessing involved.

(Probably has something to do with his New York Attitude that lent "Authenticity" but pissed off the Entrenched Edmondite Powers That Be or Were. I seem to recall it involved AwningSignage. =)

Of course, I've been wrong before . . .

Hope that the NEW! IMPROVED!! Lasagne includes a layer of nothing but mushrooms and a layer of nothing but basil.
That would even make The Sopranos happy.

Larry OKC
12-24-2011, 12:46 AM
Because the pizza was really bad? I have heard all the NY style hype over the decades and if my experience at Falcones is authentic NY style pizza, then NY can keep it. i was there within days after they had opened and the feature story was in the Oklahoman. great atmosphere/decor...OK prices on SOME items (outrageously high on others)...food was tasteless...had pizza a rice ball thing and something else that I cant recall right now...all of it tasteless and disappointing to say the least...haven't been back since then but the pic in the paper looked very tasty and would like to try the lasagna (never made it to Custino's when they were around).

kevinpate
12-24-2011, 02:23 AM
RadicalModerate, maybe it is that third best thing. I know that my third favorite bbq place rarely gets visited, maybe 1 out of every 9 or 10 Q runs ... at best. And it's right fair q on its own. However, my 1st and 2nd choice tend to get 60/30ish % of my business. Number 3 is good. The other two are better. Might be Falcone's battle as well.

Larry OKC
12-24-2011, 09:06 PM
To clarify, i was looking forward to Falcones based on the story in the paper and was really wanting to like it

Steve
12-24-2011, 09:30 PM
Falcones was good in the beginning, but he over-expanded and did it too fast, losing all control of quality. I saw it go downhill first hand, both at the Edmond store and in Bricktown.

Hawk405359
12-25-2011, 12:02 PM
If you want to give true NY style pizza another try, there's New York Pizza and Pasta in Edmond if you can make it out there. It's on second street west of Bryant, near the new Half Price Books location. I've had it and it was good. I didn't try Falcone's in the beginning, so I can't compare, but I liked NY Pizza and Pasta better.

soonerguru
12-25-2011, 10:48 PM
Because the pizza was really bad? I have heard all the NY style hype over the decades and if my experience at Falcones is authentic NY style pizza, then NY can keep it. i was there within days after they had opened and the feature story was in the Oklahoman. great atmosphere/decor...OK prices on SOME items (outrageously high on others)...food was tasteless...had pizza a rice ball thing and something else that I cant recall right now...all of it tasteless and disappointing to say the least...haven't been back since then but the pic in the paper looked very tasty and would like to try the lasagna (never made it to Custino's when they were around).

Falcones is not representative of good NY pizza. Not by a long shot.

Steve
12-26-2011, 10:03 AM
I was a New York kid until age 11, and yeah, I'd have to agree with Soonerguru. A couple years ago Falcone and another small pizza place that opened at the same time, Gaetano's, both came close to being decent comparisons to NY pizza. Gaetano wasn't a good business guy, however, and he had to close up (also had health issues). Falcone over-expanded and lost control of quality.
Now, that said, the best one going in my opinion is NY Pizza on Second Street in Edmond. It also has a set up that is pretty close to what you might experience in a suburban New York pizza place (too spacious, too clean for a Manhattan pizza joint!)

soonerguru
12-26-2011, 11:39 PM
I was a New York kid until age 11, and yeah, I'd have to agree with Soonerguru. A couple years ago Falcone and another small pizza place that opened at the same time, Gaetano's, both came close to being decent comparisons to NY pizza. Gaetano wasn't a good business guy, however, and he had to close up (also had health issues). Falcone over-expanded and lost control of quality.
Now, that said, the best one going in my opinion is NY Pizza on Second Street in Edmond. It also has a set up that is pretty close to what you might experience in a suburban New York pizza place (too spacious, too clean for a Manhattan pizza joint!)

Agree with NY Pizza, but the one in Edmond isn't as good as the original in Norman, which frankly is a New York pizza joint. The one in Edmond has been ruined by all the people in minivans requesting ranch dressing with their pizza and asking them to "make it like Hideaway." I thought it was really funny one night when this woman who stepped in asked them, "Why don't you make it Chicago style, with a deep dish?" I couldn't contain myself and said, "The name of the restaurant is New York pizza. They make New York pizza here." Geez, so glad I don't live in Edmond!

bluedogok
12-27-2011, 09:45 AM
There is a place in Downtown Houston that we ate at after a baseball game that definitely reminded me of a NYC pizza joint. They are their own unique places.

Larry OKC
12-27-2011, 08:42 PM
The Gazette said (presumably the original location) for Custinos was at May & Wilshire.
"In my three restaurants here, I prepared over a million trays of lasagna. I'm ready to make a million or so more." Custino said.

Steve
12-28-2011, 07:11 PM
Agree with NY Pizza, but the one in Edmond isn't as good as the original in Norman, which frankly is a New York pizza joint. The one in Edmond has been ruined by all the people in minivans requesting ranch dressing with their pizza and asking them to "make it like Hideaway." I thought it was really funny one night when this woman who stepped in asked them, "Why don't you make it Chicago style, with a deep dish?" I couldn't contain myself and said, "The name of the restaurant is New York pizza. They make New York pizza here." Geez, so glad I don't live in Edmond!

I was born and spent half my childhood in New York; I've been back repeatedly as I have family there. Sure, there are people in Edmond who are probably oblivious to what New York pizza might be. But all things considered, the Edmond NY Pizza is about as close as it gets considering we simply don't have the same water supply (which is a factor in crust texture, quality). For what it's worth, I was never as big a fan of Falcones as I was of Gaetano's. But when Gaetano's went away, Falcones was it for a while...

metro
12-29-2011, 05:41 PM

I'd have to say Papa Angelo's in Bethany is the best NYC style pizza.

Steve
12-29-2011, 07:07 PM
Forgive me - I've not been there. I've heard a couple things about Angelo's - not enough. That good it's worth a trip to Bethany?

metro
12-29-2011, 07:17 PM
Yep, and they've been in Bethany off and on for about 20 years so obviously it's good enough to last which can't be said for the others.

Steve
12-29-2011, 08:08 PM
It's been quite interesting to watch how quickly Falcones has fallen apart....

Skyline
12-29-2011, 09:02 PM
It's been quite interesting to watch how quickly Falcones has fallen apart....

Interesting yes ..... Surprising No.

Okiezmom
12-30-2011, 07:21 AM
My co-worker and I ordered lunch at Falcone's a couple of months ago. By 5:00 that afternoon we were both down with a bad case of food poisoning. We haven't been back.

ctchandler
12-30-2011, 10:30 AM
Has anyone been to the Angelo's in Jones? I went to Angelo's web page and they have three locations including one in Jones which is 9 miles from my home. That may sound like a long way, but it's fairly close for me and certainly closer than Bethany or 1st and Rockwell, their other location.
C. T.

RadicalModerate
12-30-2011, 10:38 AM
There was a GREAT little pizza place in Jones a few years ago (a real gem) but the owner had an accident or something and it was forced to close. I've been to the Angelo's in Bethany (prior to the last closing/re-opening) and if the place in Jones is related to the place in Bethany it has FABULOUS pizza.

ctchandler
12-30-2011, 11:56 AM
RadicalModerate,
I will have to try it. I have really enjoyed the three times I have eaten at Venezia's (recommended on this site) and I suspect I will enjoy the Angelo's in Jones. I had eaten the pizza in the first place and it was pretty good. I wondered why they closed.
C. T.

There was a GREAT little pizza place in Jones a few years ago (a real gem) but the owner had an accident or something and it was forced to close. I've been to the Angelo's in Bethany (prior to the last closing/re-opening) and if the place in Jones is related to the place in Bethany it has FABULOUS pizza.

Bellaboo
12-30-2011, 12:29 PM
This isn't very important, I was just curious as to why I couldn't remember it, but it appears most of us have limited memories of his places. OH well, I'm sure his food was good. Time will tell (since memory obviously doesn't).
C. T.

CT,

You need to give yourself a little more credit now, I remember you as a sharp programmer a few years back.

ctchandler
12-31-2011, 04:01 PM
Bellaboo,
Your comment just tells me that your memory isn't quite what it used to be! But thanks, I know you mean well.
C. T.

CT,

You need to give yourself a little more credit now, I remember you as a sharp programmer a few years back.

Kurtis1022
04-29-2012, 11:29 AM
Custino's Italian Kitchen is coming soon on May and Britton, 2724 West Britton Road. Custino's original lasagna has returned. Be sure to go by www.custinos.com or www.facebook.com/custinos and click the "Like" button to stay informed on everything for Custino's Italian Kitchen.

RadicalModerate
04-30-2012, 08:33 AM
Sure hope that the ghosts of KC Blues BBQ and ETs BBQ don't cause the place to close before we have a chance to try it. =)
Really. It would be nice to have a good Italian restaurant that close to home!
(and if they opt out of Gelato as a dessert option, there's always [that place next door] that is within walking distance.)

bluedogok
04-30-2012, 10:06 PM
Sure hope that the ghosts of KC Blues BBQ and ETs BBQ don't cause the place to close before we have a chance to try it. =)
I remember when it was still a Long John Silver's before it was another Jack's BBQ location.

bluedogok
04-30-2012, 10:06 PM
Duplicate

Corndog1
05-02-2012, 10:28 PM
Where is this converted house in nicoma park, im in that area all the time. I have never seen any pizza places around there. As far as Venezia, it is very good but never busy. Im always worried that the next time i go will be the last time i get to go.

Drake
05-02-2012, 11:56 PM
Where is this converted house in nicoma park, im in that area all the time. I have never seen any pizza places around there. As far as Venezia, it is very good but never busy. Im always worried that the next time i go will be the last time i get to go.

I have no idea other than was place (La Pizza??) in a converted house on NE 23, but seriously that place has been shut down since around 1983. 1983!

I believe they also had in Heritage Park Mall when it was hopping, long before Sbarro.

I know of no other pizza place in years in that area.

Romulack
05-03-2012, 08:21 AM
I remember watching the TV commercials for Custino's back in the 1980's or maybe early 90's. At the end of the ad a large Italian guy (Custino?) would sing a song about eating there -- I don't remember the lyrics except for the last line where he sang "and stuffa you face!" I also remember they had great lasagna.

RadicalModerate
05-03-2012, 12:40 PM
Drake is right: "La Pizza" was in a converted house on the N. side of 23rd just east of Westminster and they also had a location in Heritage Park Mall. They served EXCELLENT New York Style pizza at both places. I think the owner was real involved with the Cerebral Palsy Foundation (or whatever the group is). At some point I think he decided to move back to New York.

Before it was a pizza place it was a decent restaurant--"The Front Porch"--that only lasted a year or two.
I haven't been down around Nicoma Park for so long that I don't know if the house is even still there.
I just took a little Google Trip Down Memory Lane and it looks like the house is long gone.
I think it was where that Cabinet/Millwork shop went in.

LuccaBrasi
05-08-2012, 08:34 PM
Someone can verify this, (maybe Steve) but I seem to recall not long ago there was an artilce in the paper about Custino and Danny Falcone joining forces for something, but I don't recall what. I assume that did not pan out.

There is a sign on Britton Road that says Custinos is coming soon. I believe it is where the old Braums used to be, or more recently KC BBQ I think, but not certain.

There was also a pretty decent place for a couple of years in Casady Square facing Britton, forget the name, but a lady ran it and I knew several poeple that liked some of her food like the pizza or pepperoni bread sticks. I quit going to Falcones on May after trying her pizza, bit I never saw more than a few people in there at a time. She eloquently told me one time withour being provoked, that her pizza was better NY style than the other guy in town, and she had never been to jail. I thought that was a pretty chippy aimed at Danny Falcone, but that was no concern of mine, I just wanted some good pizza and calzone!

ctchandler
05-09-2012, 04:50 AM
Someone can verify this, (maybe Steve) but I seem to recall not long ago there was an artilce in the paper about Custino and Danny Falcone joining forces for something, but I don't recall what. I assume that did not pan out.

LuccaBrasi,
See my first post (the reason I started this thread) about Custino and Falcone. As for the pizza and bread sticks at Casady Square, it was really good. I don't know what happened.
C. T.

RadicalModerate
05-10-2012, 08:16 AM
The name of the place in Casady Square was Perri's.
They really did have excellent pizza.
It seemed a bit "pricey" compared to some other options, but the quality was all there.
I think there were several factors involved in its closing . . . (a sad day indeed).

I'm very much looking forward to the openings of both Custino's (very close by) and Gabriella's (at the old Oklahoma Co. Line BBQ). (All things considered, I think Italian is my favorite cuisine).

Tydude
05-16-2012, 09:57 AM
what i am hearing is that Custinos opening today

SoonerQueen
05-18-2012, 01:03 AM
what i am hearing is that Custinos opening today

We ate at Custino's opening night. By the time we got there they had sold out of everything but lasagna and pizza. So we had the lasagna and a salad, and it was totally delicious. They even threw in a dessert because they had run out of garlic bread. We saw Phil Custino and it was great to see him again. My husband missed out on opening night so we went back Thursday night about 7:30 and they had run out of everything. Although disappointed, it's nice to see them doing well. We'll try earlier on Friday night. I think when the newness wears off a little, we won't have to worry about them not having food.

Corndog1
05-20-2012, 04:21 PM
does pap angelos still have a place in Jones, or is it closed?

soonerguru
05-20-2012, 09:09 PM
As a quasi-expert on NY pizza, Falcone's was anything but.

OKCRT
05-25-2012, 08:44 PM

OK Mr NY Pizza Expert,so where does one go to get the best NY Pizza in the city?

mikesimpsons82
05-26-2012, 07:17 AM
Based on this post, I would be willing to bet you know as little about the Sooners as you do about NY pizza.

RadicalModerate
05-26-2012, 08:13 AM
I've never been to NYC and I have no desire to go there.
I have, however, watched a million TV shows and movies set in NYC.
Many of them have involved scenes with "New York Style" pizza.
Like "Law and Order" for example.

To me NY Style has a thin, flexible, chewy crust (that can be a little puffy around the outside edge).
It isn't loaded with ingredients but has a nice balance of tomato sauce and cheese with just enough pepperoni or sausage (etc.) to make it interesting.

LaPizza (Nicoma Park and Heritage Park Mall), the old Pizza Place in Jones, Angelo's and Perri's all had NY Style pizza.
There are probably others...Like maybe Hobbies Hoagies?
Falcone's Pizza is of the same type. I like it and I like the fact you can buy it by the slice.

Maybe The Evaluator, above, is thinking about UPSTATE New York Style Pizza?
Or perhaps Chicago Style?
(Chicago may have been Sinatra's kind of town, but I'll bet it wasn't his kind of pizza.)

BTW: Went thru the drive-thru at the new Custino's the other night. Ordered a ravioli entree and a lasagne entree to take home and share with my wife. The price was amazingly low and both selections tasted pretty darn good. We are definitely going back. Maybe I'll try their pizza . . . but probably not on the next visit.

Prunepicker
05-27-2012, 09:06 PM
OK Mr NY Pizza Expert,so where does one go to get the best NY
Pizza in the city?
That is a no brainer. Lombardi's is absolutely the best pizza in NYC
and in the world, as far as that matters.

soonerguru
05-29-2012, 10:25 PM
Based on this post, I would be willing to bet you know as little about the Sooners as you do about NY pizza.

Wow. You must have limited knowledge about NY pies. Falcone's was shaped the same; that's where the similarities ended.

soonerguru
05-29-2012, 10:26 PM
I would have to agree with Lombardy's, although we could write entire dissertations on NY pizza.

Prunepicker
05-30-2012, 05:58 PM
I would have to agree with Lombardy's, although we could write
entire dissertations on NY pizza.
No kidding. Pizza, like everything else, is a personal epicurean
pleasure. It's a gas to test other pizzerias that have some of
the best food in the world. But Lombardi's.

The same goes for NYC hot dogs. Then there's Chicago and
Dodger Stadium. Dare we include brats in a hot dog discussion?

Prunepicker
05-30-2012, 05:59 PM
:backtotop

Is Custino's local or a chain?

bluedogok
05-30-2012, 08:31 PM
Local, his old (first) shop was in a former Taco Bell on May & Wilshire.

Tydude
05-31-2012, 09:09 AM
http://newsok.com/article/3679913 they were in the Oklahoman

SoonerDave
05-31-2012, 09:42 AM
I guess that I can't understand why (The Original) "Falcone's" (just north of the tire place by Wilshire?)--the third best Authentic New York Style Pizza Place in OKC (right after Perri's and that old converted house in Nicoma Park) can't make it in this market . . .

In fact, I'm sure that I can't understand why.
No guessing involved.

(Probably has something to do with his New York Attitude that lent "Authenticity" but pissed off the Entrenched Edmondite Powers That Be or Were. I seem to recall it involved AwningSignage. =)

Maybe it was nothing more complicated than the fact that it sucked?

Tried Falcone's several times and it was very consistent. Consistently bad. I kept thinking I wasn't giving it a fair shake, and that it would get better by the fourth or fifth time I went there, that I just wasn't "getting" this great NY pizza, but suddenly realized...no, this stuff really was supposed to taste that way, and that it really does suck.