View Full Version : B C Clark Holiday jingle

SoonerQueen
11-24-2011, 10:32 PM
http://youtu.be/5LJBB65r-9o

kevinpate
11-25-2011, 05:05 AM
BC Clark, lights on the house going on for the first glow, family home for the holidays, checking in facebook/phones with those who are not, and missing those who remain with us only in our memories .... ah the early signs of the Christmas season.

dmoor82
11-26-2011, 12:21 AM
You are a true Okie if you know that by heart!

SoonerDave
11-28-2011, 09:16 AM
Hey, until just a few years ago, BC Clark used to videotape folks singing the jingle at various malls, then splice them all together for their Christmas commercials. Why'd they stop doing that??

ljbab728
12-25-2016, 07:54 PM
This Oklahoma tradition goes nationwide.

http://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news/video/the-oklahoma-christmas-jingle-that-lets-you-know-the-holidays-are-here-841114691531

rezman
12-26-2016, 08:24 AM
Quite a few years ago, a line was removed from the jingle.

"the Christmas wish from BC Clark is to keep on pleasing you" was removed to shorten it up a bit.

Pete
12-26-2016, 08:42 AM
Quite a few years ago, a line was removed from the jingle.

"the Christmas wish from BC Clark is to keep on pleasing you" was removed to shorten it up a bit.

My understanding is that was done to get the jingle to fit in a 30-second spot, something that was as important when it was first created.

Very cool to see this on the national news, especially since I've know the Clarks since I was a little kid. They are incredibly nice people.

rezman
12-26-2016, 04:54 PM
^^ Your're right Pete. The change came about in the mid 70's to fit shorter 30 second time slots.

It has become almost a Christmas carol in ltself. I remember growing up in the 60's it was as much a part of Christmas as anything else around town.

Bullbear
12-27-2016, 09:57 AM
Best 300.00 they ever spent on advertising.

shawnw
12-27-2016, 12:10 PM
Even adjusted for inflation ($2,647.67), it doesn't seem that bad.

catch22
12-27-2016, 03:17 PM
You don't realize how important that jingle is to the Christmas season until you move to a place that doesn't have it. Christmas certainly doesn't feel the same without hearing that jingle on the radio several times a day.

rezman
12-27-2016, 06:25 PM
I read that the jingle was created in 1957, and in 1961, they replaced it with a new one, which was met by strong objection from the public, so the old jingle returned
and has been a mainstay ever since.

turnpup
12-27-2016, 06:49 PM
I'm a big fan of how the family members actually work at the stores. We're closest to the downtown location, and there are always two or more Clarks there when we go in. They don't make a big deal about who they are--just take care of you like any other employee would.

brianinok
12-28-2016, 07:48 AM
I'm a big fan of how the family members actually work at the stores. We're closest to the downtown location, and there are always two or more Clarks there when we go in. They don't make a big deal about who they are--just take care of you like any other employee would.Yes, my first purchase from them was at the downtown location. Jim Clark helped me. He was as nice as could be. I didn't realize who was helping me (though I thought he looked familiar!) until he gave me his card after I checked out.

LocoAko
12-28-2016, 09:24 AM
I moved to Oklahoma 4 years ago and am still utterly fascinated by the whole phenomenon. Hearing it played at Christmas concerts, hearing it everywhere you go, and everyone knowing the lyrics. We have nothing like this back east as far as I can tell. I casually mentioned to my Uber driver the other week that I didn't know the words and she nearly slammed on her brakes on I-44 to express her shock.

shawnw
12-28-2016, 09:42 AM
I read that the jingle was created in 1957, and in 1961, they replaced it with a new one, which was met by strong objection from the public, so the old jingle returned
and has been a mainstay ever since.

https://bcclarkjingle.com/history/

traxx
01-03-2017, 12:34 PM
I moved to Oklahoma 4 years ago and am still utterly fascinated by the whole phenomenon. Hearing it played at Christmas concerts, hearing it everywhere you go, and everyone knowing the lyrics. We have nothing like this back east as far as I can tell. I casually mentioned to my Uber driver the other week that I didn't know the words and she nearly slammed on her brakes on I-44 to express her shock.
Many places have their own little oddities that only the locals understand because they've grown up with it. If you ever watched Parks and Recreation, the BC Clark jingle is our Li'l Sebastian.

Pete
01-03-2017, 02:16 PM
Many places have their own little oddities that only the locals understand because they've grown up with it. If you ever watched Parks and Recreation, the BC Clark jingle is our Li'l Sebastian.

Haha....

That's a great analogy and LokoAko would be Ben Wyatt.

LocoAko
01-03-2017, 05:10 PM
Haha....

That's a great analogy and LokoAko would be Ben Wyatt.

Haha, yes! Spot on comparison.

stlokc
01-03-2017, 05:40 PM
As a small child, I appeared on the commercial in 1983. Was in Northpark Mall with my family when they asked me if I wanted to sing it. As an adult I sometimes get on the website and impress (bore?) my friends and co-workers.

traxx
01-04-2017, 08:06 AM
As a small child, I appeared on the commercial in 1983. Was in Northpark Mall with my family when they asked me if I wanted to sing it. As an adult I sometimes get on the website and impress (bore?) my friends and co-workers.

Was that the first year they had people in the mall sing it for the commercial?

It would be neat if they could find the people in that commercial now and have them sing it again.