View Full Version : I35 Construction

j7m7l7
10-26-2011, 03:10 PM
Does anyone know what is being done on the east side of 35 south of Main and north of Highway 9? It looks like they may be getting ready for the next phase of the interstate and overpass work, but I do not know.

venture
10-26-2011, 03:27 PM
They are putting in the sound barriers. So yes, the work is starting. This is the part that needs to be done before they do the widening and the new interchanges.

j7m7l7
10-26-2011, 03:49 PM
That is good news! That entrance northbound from Highway 9 and Lindsey has been a dangerous mess for years.

venture
10-26-2011, 05:10 PM
Especially when people don't understand yield. :-P

If I don't have a sign, I'm not stopping. You run into me, thanks for the new car.

Thunder
10-26-2011, 07:09 PM

If I don't have a sign, I'm not stopping. You run into me, thanks for the new car.

I love this guy so much! :LolLolLol

MDot
10-26-2011, 09:05 PM

I wish everyone thought the way you do. We wouldn't have so many BS drivers around I'd bet.

venture
10-27-2011, 11:02 AM
I'm definitely not aggressive at all when I drive, which makes some people crazy. However, I don't drive dumb either. I'll yield or slow down when I see things getting backed up ahead. I'm not one to race ahead just to slow down again. I'm also the kind that can get a little...umm...annoying to others. If I'm in the middle or right lanes and doing my typical 5-7 over the limit and you start riding my butt...the foot comes off he gas. :-P Especially if you can easily pass on the left.

Biggest pet peeves of driving in this state though...on ramps with no merging area. Like Lindsey/Hwy 9 onto I-35 where you are just dumped on the highway. I can stand that garbage. Especially when people on the highway won't get over even though no one else is around. I know they don't have to, but it is just common courtesy. Then there is this thing where people stay in the right lane when there is a motorist or emergency vehicle parked on the shoulder. Not sure if people missed this...its the law, move your butt over and get out of that lane. I do like the new signs when a lane is closed ahead for construction and it says "Merge Now, State Law" about a quarter mile before it is closed. Now I just wish they would install traffic cameras to ticket people that pass them and still wait until the barrels are bouncing off their bumper. Oh and don't get me started on the mass shortage of "blinker fluid" in this state. LOL

Anyway. back to topic. LOL It will definitely be nice once all of the construction is done. Though I will miss that "thud" you always have when you exit onto Lindsey from 35 South.

MDot
10-27-2011, 11:15 AM
I'm definitely not aggressive at all when I drive, which makes some people crazy. However, I don't drive dumb either. I'll yield or slow down when I see things getting backed up ahead. I'm not one to race ahead just to slow down again. I'm also the kind that can get a little...umm...annoying to others. If I'm in the middle or right lanes and doing my typical 5-7 over the limit and you start riding my butt...the foot comes off he gas. :-P Especially if you can easily pass on the left.

Biggest pet peeves of driving in this state though...on ramps with no merging area. Like Lindsey/Hwy 9 onto I-35 where you are just dumped on the highway. I can stand that garbage. Especially when people on the highway won't get over even though no one else is around. I know they don't have to, but it is just common courtesy. Then there is this thing where people stay in the right lane when there is a motorist or emergency vehicle parked on the shoulder. Not sure if people missed this...its the law, move your butt over and get out of that lane. I do like the new signs when a lane is closed ahead for construction and it says "Merge Now, State Law" about a quarter mile before it is closed. Now I just wish they would install traffic cameras to ticket people that pass them and still wait until the barrels are bouncing off their bumper. Oh and don't get me started on the mass shortage of "blinker fluid" in this state. LOL

Anyway. back to topic. LOL It will definitely be nice once all of the construction is done. Though I will miss that "thud" you always have when you exit onto Lindsey from 35 South.

I'm pretty much the same as you when it comes to driving. Lol

Thunder
10-27-2011, 02:39 PM
I want a ride with Venture. <3

SkyWestOKC
10-27-2011, 05:36 PM
I'm an aggressive defensive driver. I defend my lane, but always allow someone room to enter my lane, only if they signal. If they signal and I have a chance to let them over either by slowing down or moving over. I do it. If you get in my lane without signaling (making me have to use my brakes), then I will ride your tail a little, possibly flash my high-beams.

Like I said, I always extend courtesy when you follow the rules of merging. If you signal, I will do whatever I can to help you out.

My other issue with everyone else is people who don't know how to use a stop sign. You are considered at the intersection when your wheels stop at the white line. Not before, not after it. Don't stop 15 feet past the white line. It throws off the sequence of everyone behind you, because the people behind you are at the white line, and might be "next" in the sequence, but don't get to go on their turn because everyone else stopped past the stripe on the other 3 streets.

My biggest pet peeve as of late has been the guys in the Ford F350 Super Duty Diesel Triton Dually trucks. They act like they own the road, normally taking up a whole lane or more. On city streets they drive 15 mph under the speed limit, acting like they've never been to a city with more than one stoplight, and on the highway they drive 20 mph over the speed limit while talking on their cell phone, weaving in and out of traffic like they are in a Mazda Miata.

I understand some people have a need for these trucks, construction companies pulling trailers with heavy equipment...etc. But for the average joe, you don't need that size of truck, and if you do.. You can afford something smaller to use for city driving. Over compensation for smaller male parts.

/end rant

MDot
10-27-2011, 10:32 PM
I want a ride with Venture. <3

I'd rather ride with SkyWestOKC.

Thunder
10-28-2011, 08:15 AM
I'd rather ride with SkyWestOKC.

I will take them both! *faints*

j7m7l7
10-28-2011, 09:36 AM
So, back to the topic... Does anyone know where to view plans of the overpass reconstruction and how the entrances/exits are being redesigned (in particular the Lindsey/H9 exit). I thought I read a while back there may be some encroachment on Mark Heitz's land.

MDot
10-28-2011, 10:16 AM
I would like to know as well. I haven't seen or heard anything so this is news to me and I would like to know more.

SkyWestOKC
10-28-2011, 11:02 AM
I think Main Street is planned to be an Single Point Urban Interchange.

venture
10-28-2011, 11:18 AM
Most I could find... http://newsok.com/interstate-35-design-plan-for-norman-widening-project-unveiled/multimedia/video/1017266739001

Main and Lindsey will be the Single Point interchange. Highway 9 will be partial cloverleaf like it is now. Unfortunately ODOT's website is horribly laid out so you can't pull up any project documents very easily.

MDot
10-28-2011, 11:27 AM
I went through Springfield on my way to St. Louis a few months back and when I got off I-44 to get some lunch they had a single point exit. They're pretty legit but can be confusing if you're not paying attention. This will be the second in the Oklahoma City area, I know they're building one on Morgan Rd and I-40 which is the first in Oklahoma City and I believe the first in all of Oklahoma.

zrfdude
10-31-2011, 08:55 PM
So, back to the topic... Does anyone know where to view plans of the overpass reconstruction and how the entrances/exits are being redesigned (in particular the Lindsey/H9 exit). I thought I read a while back there may be some encroachment on Mark Heitz's land.

http://www.okladot.state.ok.us/meetings/a2011/110622/presentation.pdf