View Full Version : Arizona Fires Mike Stoops

venture
10-10-2011, 07:05 PM
Wonder how long until he is back in Norman.

http://eye-on-collegefootball.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/24156338/32649496

betts
10-10-2011, 07:35 PM
That's not a surprise. Sad, though. What a great defensive coordinator he was when he was here.

MDot
10-10-2011, 07:47 PM
Yeah, no surprise there. Actually the biggest surprise for me was how long he was there.

Thunder
10-10-2011, 08:01 PM
He's gonna join his brother. :LolLolLol

BlackmoreRulz
10-10-2011, 08:09 PM
Leach replaces?

oneforone
10-10-2011, 08:46 PM
Sooner Coaching roster reminds me of the Seinfeld supporting cast. They are great in supporting roles on their own they crashed and burned.

betts
10-10-2011, 08:50 PM
Really, though, how many great head coaches are there? A handful you might call great, a bunch of so so coaches and then you have those on the carousel. So, considering how many assistant coaches are out there, it's not surprising that a couple from OU haven't done that well. Considering the success of Mangino and Leach at mid-level Big Twelve programs, Stoops' assistants have probably done better on average than those from most schools.

Snowman
10-10-2011, 08:52 PM
From where the team was when he got their he did alright, but from some of the comments he made about OU joining the conference he seemed like he already knew this was coming. It is going to be hard for anyone to draw the talent to Arizona consistently they would be happy with.

oneforone
10-10-2011, 09:24 PM
Mangino and Leach were from the old school of football. Had they taken the time to realize the new breed of football player is soft and fragile. Very few fathers apply a firm hand in their families and some of these kids grew up with no fathers at all.

Not to mention most college draft pics are made by professional coaching clinics. They are not made from long hard days of practice where the coach drove you and you drove yourself to keep the coach from gunning for you. After all you were not forced to be there you chose to sign up and could walk away at anytime.

dankrutka
10-10-2011, 10:27 PM
Mangino and Leach were from the old school of football. Had they taken the time to realize the new breed of football player is soft and fragile. Very few fathers apply a firm hand in their families and some of these kids grew up with no fathers at all.

Not to mention most college draft pics are made by professional coaching clinics. They are not made from long hard days of practice where the coach drove you and you drove yourself to keep the coach from gunning for you. After all you were not forced to be there you chose to sign up and could walk away at anytime.

Yeah college football players are all a bunch of coddled wimps. Lol. Mangino was borderline abusive, but the Leach situation was silly. Your extrapolation from these 2 examples is a little far fetched. There are a lot of hard-nosed coaches and players still...

MDot
10-10-2011, 11:04 PM
Yeah college football players are all a bunch of coddled wimps. Lol. Mangino was borderline abusive, but the Leach situation was silly. Your extrapolation from these 2 examples is a little far fetched. There are a lot of hard-nosed coaches and players still...

It's the "cool" thing to do now, to call everyone who's young a soft ***** who shouldn't be allowed out of their rooms.

Brett
10-12-2011, 04:22 AM
I don't imagine Mike Stoops will be returning to OU. Just being a "good" coach doesn't cut it at universities that have influential donors. Donors want a "great" coach. The $1.4 million ouster payout was not a bad parting gift. I think he will find work as a head coach at a smaller college or university.

venture
10-12-2011, 09:52 AM
I don't imagine Mike Stoops will be returning to OU. Just being a "good" coach doesn't cut it at universities that have influential donors. Donors want a "great" coach. The $1.4 million ouster payout was not a bad parting gift. I think he will find work as a head coach at a smaller college or university.

Bob came out and made the comment...

"Sure, if I had enough money to," Bob said when asked if he might bring his brother aboard. "He's going to have a lot of opportunities."

Which pretty much means he could hire Mike on, but it will be for a lot lower pay than what he'll get from most other schools where he can land a DC or Head coaching position.

Laramie
10-13-2011, 07:50 PM
Arizona is not going to find another coach comparable to Mike Stoops? Everyone knows that Tuscon is Phoenix's little step sister and Arizona State pretty much rules the whole territory.