View Full Version : Automatic Transmission Repair, Any places to look into?

SSEiYah
10-05-2011, 11:31 AM
I'm going to need a trans rebuild soon on my car. It is a lot of labor because it is a front wheel drive car.

Has anyone had any experience with any local shops? The cost of a GM rebuild is ridiculous, ($4900 installed), that is right near the bluebook for private party! I called around to about a dozen shops and Coker's Transmissions is the cheapest so far. I do not want to put a lot of money into the car since it has very high miles and is pretty much worn out.

I looked at some reviews and they are pretty bad on there, but that does not always mean a lot.

Just wondering if anyone has an experience with one of the local shops, such as Cokers. In my experience, the "chain" places are much more expensive, and they are hit or miss.

Thunder
10-05-2011, 11:41 AM
I'm going to need a trans rebuild soon on my car. It is a lot of labor because it is a front wheel drive car.

Has anyone had any experience with any local shops? The cost of a GM rebuild is ridiculous, ($4900 installed), that is right near the bluebook for private party! I called around to about a dozen shops and Coker's Transmissions is the cheapest so far. I do not want to put a lot of money into the car since it has very high miles and is pretty much worn out.

I looked at some reviews and they are pretty bad on there, but that does not always mean a lot.

Just wondering if anyone has an experience with one of the local shops, such as Cokers. In my experience, the "chain" places are much more expensive, and they are hit or miss.

You are committing such volatile action with extremely poor decision. You said the car is worn out with very high miles. What kind of car is it? How many miles? How exactly is it worn out? If its really that bad, then why spend money to replace the transmission? Simply get another used car. However, replacing the trans should last your car another 100k miles, if nothing else major go wrong. Provide more details about your car.

My truck is a Nissan Hardbody and one of the rare few makes/models that can reach 400k miles. Its at 200k and considered low millage, because of its history of reliability. I need to do some minor work on it, including a reverse repair, but other than that, one hella good truck.

Kokopelli
10-05-2011, 12:09 PM
If you haven't already done so check with Aamaco on 36th they are pretty reasonable. But the truth is you answered your own question on the right thing to do when you said.

I do not want to put a lot of money into the car since it has very high miles and is pretty much worn out.

kevinpate
10-05-2011, 03:16 PM
Transmission Center, 922 N Flood, Norman 329-4620.
In 06, they did a rebuild on a 94 Pontiac Grand Prix that I used to own. I laid the car to rest a few weeks ago because of other issues, but never had a lick of trouble related to their work. I didn't pay anything remotely close to what you've been quoted.

Years back they also worked on a DeVille I had at the time of mine. Was very happy with that work on that vehicle as well.

It's mostly the same folks it's been for ages.