View Full Version : Country Inn on NW Exp recent remodel

metro
09-28-2011, 09:02 PM
Not sure if anyone has noticed the recent remodel, or demodeling as I say. This is the 15 or so story hotel just behind the OKC association of realtors, or just west of Hooters. Anyhow, they recently added more stucco and painted the building big bird yellow with orange stripes. HIDEOUS, and I'd like to see proof that they got approval for the from the city. We need to have better guidelines to not allow kitch like this.

MDot
09-28-2011, 09:10 PM
Seems like everything in Oklahoma City is starting to look more and more "colourful" if you will.

Thunder
09-28-2011, 09:22 PM
Please provide pictures for evidence or this thread is worthless.

MikeOKC
09-28-2011, 09:50 PM
I noticed that as well. Very bizarre colors. Carlson is supposed to be such a conservative chain, too. Strange.

metro
09-29-2011, 08:16 AM
Please provide pictures for evidence or this thread is worthless.

Drive by it and snap all the pics you want

pickles
09-29-2011, 08:40 AM
It is SHOCKINGLY bad. The wife and I have been watching this take shape for the past couple weeks, and out of sheer disbelief I had been contending it must be some sort of primer coat. It isn't. This is really, really bad. Like the city should intervene and stop this bad, and that's not a sentiment to which I'm often inclined.

oneforone
09-29-2011, 09:19 AM
It looks like they are trying to increase visibility the signs are lower and the colors are brighter. Before it blended in too much and looked like a drab office building. I'm sure it will look fine after they finish. It sounds like some of you are part of the many runaway home owners associations around the country. Unless you own the place you shouldn't care. Then again the typical American is becoming the nimby busy body that has a mountain of problems of their own yet, they spend all of their time trying to fix problems that really aren't problems at all.

There are a lot of things I think are eyesores in this city. Does that mean those things need to change or go away? No. It just means I need focus my attention else where. If I didn't pay for it and it is not presenting any harm to me I don't care about it.

Pete
09-29-2011, 09:49 AM
Pretty bad all right:

http://www.oklahomacounty.org/assessor/Searches/sketches/picfile/2845/R147012000001rA.jpg

Thunder
09-29-2011, 09:51 AM
I like it. Its better than dull.

USG'60
09-29-2011, 10:16 AM
10 or 15 years ago it was a perfectly good mid-century modern tower. It was totally ruined in that remodel. I liked to have DIED when I saw what they did with it. It was heartbreaking.

kevinpate
09-29-2011, 10:26 AM
Isn't it just the alarm clock for some of the folks over at Founder's tower or whatever it's called these days?

They roll over in the morning, and they see that giant stack of brightly colored whatever and it instantly sears their eyes with pain, thus waking them up completely, albeit not in a good mood.

I once had an apartment with a similar feature. The prior tenant had painted the bathroom a sort of neon-ish turquoise color. It wasn't really turquoise though. It was better described as

GOOD MORNING, TIME TO WAKE UP, LET ME ASSAULT YOUR EYES WITH MY BRIGHT OH SO FREAKING SHINY AND BRIGHT COLOR N SHOCK SOME SENSE INTO YOU turquoise.

It was as effective as it was annoying.

MDot
09-29-2011, 10:34 AM
I'm trying to force myself to like it but that's hella ugly right now.

mcca7596
09-29-2011, 01:37 PM
It looks like they are trying to increase visibility the signs are lower and the colors are brighter. Before it blended in too much and looked like a drab office building. I'm sure it will look fine after they finish. It sounds like some of you are part of the many runaway home owners associations around the country. Unless you own the place you shouldn't care. Then again the typical American is becoming the nimby busy body that has a mountain of problems of their own yet, they spend all of their time trying to fix problems that really aren't problems at all.

There are a lot of things I think are eyesores in this city. Does that mean those things need to change or go away? No. It just means I need focus my attention else where. If I didn't pay for it and it is not presenting any harm to me I don't care about it.

Yeah, I really don't get the hate either.

circuitboard
09-29-2011, 07:04 PM
First, I was not feeling it, but the more I see it, it's growing on me. They should take off the green roof, and do a terracotta roof, for a miami feel.

Thunder
09-29-2011, 07:33 PM
First, I was not feeling it, but the more I see it, it's growing on me. They should take off the green roof, and do a terracotta roof, for a miami feel.

I agree. They may paint the roof. Nothing is wrong with the colors. It seem to be the norm of colors style at a lot of places. People that complain, I believe it is because of their favorite colors were not chosen.

Dustin
09-29-2011, 08:06 PM
It doesn't look bad at all. It looks better IMO.

BB37
09-29-2011, 09:23 PM
It might look better if the building itself were more of a Spanish or Mediterranean design, such as LaQuinta Inns are. On a converted medical office building, it looks a little odd.

bombermwc
09-30-2011, 07:28 AM
WOW - that's about all I can say to that. Not my favorite for sure, but it definitely will stand out.

The same thing happened to the Embassy Suites on Meridian. It's baby poop green now...looks terrible.

workman45
09-30-2011, 10:41 AM
WOW - that's about all I can say to that. Not my favorite for sure, but it definitely will stand out.

The same thing happened to the Embassy Suites on Meridian. It's baby poop green now...looks terrible.

LOL! Exactly what I thought after seeing their new paint job.

Pete
09-30-2011, 12:18 PM
http://www.oklahomacounty.org/assessor/Searches/sketches/picfile/1837/R148802430001rA.jpg

poe
09-30-2011, 05:52 PM
Yikes! Embassy Suites in Lubbock looks better than that. :-/

hewi
09-30-2011, 07:19 PM

:LolLolLol "miami feel" at Country Inn, in Oklahoma City! :LolLolLol

What's next in OKC? I love my City.

circuitboard
09-30-2011, 07:43 PM
:LolLolLol "miami feel" at Country Inn, in Oklahoma City! :LolLolLol

What's next in OKC? I love my City.

I admit that is funny when you think about it.... you got me... lol

Larry OKC
09-30-2011, 08:54 PM
It might look better if the building itself were more of a Spanish or Mediterranean design, such as LaQuinta Inns are. On a converted medical office building, it looks a little odd.

Have to admit it looked more like an office building than a hotel, but was it converted or has it always been a hotel??? i thought it was relatively new construction (compared to the Marriott and the Crown plaza/former Hilton near it) and was built as a hotel???

BB37
09-30-2011, 09:10 PM
Have to admit it looked more like an office building than a hotel, but was it converted or has it always been a hotel??? i thought it was relatively new construction (compared to the Marriott and the Crown plaza/former Hilton near it) and was built as a hotel???

It was a medical office building for a number of years (right across NW Highway from Baptist Hospital), original exterior was charcoal gray in color. Kind of an odd choice to convert to a hotel, as the building has rather a small footprint, can't have many rooms per floor.

mugofbeer
09-30-2011, 09:11 PM
Folks, I saw that last weekend and it is truly hideous. The thread prompted me to send an email to their customer service address. I encourage all of you to do the same or to call or go by the place and complain to the manager.

ljbab728
09-30-2011, 10:19 PM
The crown at the top of the building was added when it was converted. It was a very blah building originally.

metro
10-01-2011, 02:57 PM
Buildings are typically best the way they were originally designed

USG'60
10-01-2011, 03:15 PM
The crown at the top of the building was added when it was converted. It was a very blah building originally.

No no, It was a very nice midcentury modern building with a "monolith" going down the spine and protruding a floor higher than the roof line. It wasn't great but it was very nice and appropriate. I was working on a hotel just east of there while it was being done and I got sick daily watching it being ruined. Surely someone has a pic of the original.

ljbab728
10-01-2011, 08:48 PM
No no, It was a very nice midcentury modern building with a "monolith" going down the spine and protruding a floor higher than the roof line. It wasn't great but it was very nice and appropriate. I was working on a hotel just east of there while it was being done and I got sick daily watching it being ruined. Surely someone has a pic of the original.

No I'm right. I specfically remember them totaling changing the crown area at the top when it was converted to a hotel. There was originally a small overhang at the top but it was completely different than what's there now. I was still never impressed with it when it was built. There were worse buildings in OKC but it was nothing special.

Larry OKC
10-04-2011, 06:48 PM
Pretty bad all right:

http://www.oklahomacounty.org/assessor/Searches/sketches/picfile/2845/R147012000001rA.jpg

IF it looked like the pic I would agree but it doesn't. Just went by about an hour ago and it is essentially the same color scheme as the Panera Bread a few doors to the west. Beige/Brown/Green. Not an exact match but pretty dang close.

Steve
10-04-2011, 08:13 PM
This image may be of interest: http://www.flickr.com/photos/25726169@N03/2753381655/

Bellaboo
10-04-2011, 08:34 PM
ha ha... I had an allergy doctor in that building in the mid to late 1960's.

MikeOKC
10-04-2011, 09:48 PM
This image may be of interest: http://www.flickr.com/photos/25726169@N03/2753381655/

Great picture. I had forgotten about the motel. The building we've all been talking about was called 'Physicians Tower' or 'The Physicians Building' or 'Physicians and Surgeons' or something like that. I made many visits to an oral surgeon there. Then you've got the old Continental at the left, Founders Tower, and Lakeview Towers in the background.

bombermwc
10-05-2011, 07:54 AM
Crap, you know this made me think about how little I noticed the building before it became the hotel!!!!

Pete
10-05-2011, 08:52 AM
Those structures (Founders Tower, the Physicians Building, the Continental Theater and at least one more office building) along with the Founders Bank (below) represented a really cool collection of mid-century architecture that all worked together:

http://imaginativeamerica.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/imagi_julius_shulman-640x448.jpg

USG'60
10-05-2011, 09:06 AM
Amen, Pete.

RadicalModerate
10-05-2011, 09:38 AM
Maybe they need to hire Wayne Coyne as an Exterior Decorating Consultant.

And to go with the "Country" motif, change the roof line to that of a gambrel (barn-style) and add a silo.

lasomeday
10-05-2011, 09:38 AM
I bet the hotel is owned by Indians. Nothing against them, but they like bright colors.

USG'60
10-05-2011, 09:43 AM
I remember that it was a foreigner who ruined it several years ago.

RadicalModerate
10-05-2011, 09:44 AM
Oh . . . He meant THAT type of "Indian" . . .

metro
10-05-2011, 09:46 AM
Great picture. I had forgotten about the motel. The building we've all been talking about was called 'Physicians Tower' or 'The Physicians Building' or 'Physicians and Surgeons' or something like that. I made many visits to an oral surgeon there. Then you've got the old Continental at the left, Founders Tower, and Lakeview Towers in the background.

No, the Physicians and Surgeons building is at 12th and Shartel in Midtown, it still stands in it's original glory. I'm typing this message from there. LOL

Steve
10-05-2011, 09:48 AM
I remember that it was a foreigner who ruined it several years ago.

Let's keep in mind there are PLENTY of locals with bad taste as well......

USG'60
10-05-2011, 10:06 AM
I am painfully aware of that, Steve. :-)

Steve
10-05-2011, 10:40 AM
Yep....

Larry OKC
10-05-2011, 08:09 PM
Those structures (Founders Tower, the Physicians Building, the Continental Theater and at least one more office building) along with the Founders Bank (below) represented a really cool collection of mid-century architecture that all worked together:

http://imaginativeamerica.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/imagi_julius_shulman-640x448.jpg

Everytime I see that building, think it would make a great McDonalds or even the McDonald's regional office (when they used to have one here in the City).

MDot
10-05-2011, 10:37 PM
Everytime I see that building, think it would make a great McDonalds or even the McDonald's regional office (when they used to have one here in the City).

I can see what you're saying. I never knew McDonald's had a regional office in OKC.

Larry OKC
10-06-2011, 08:28 PM
They did a few years back (10+), was over in the office building next door to Hometown Buffet (Caliber Center?) on NW Expressway/63rd/Portland. Was in there a couple of times when I worked maintenance back in the day. Am thinking they had most of an entire floor??

MDot
10-06-2011, 08:43 PM
They did a few years back (10+), was over in the office building next door to Hometown Buffet (Caliber Center?) on NW Expressway/63rd/Portland. Was in there a couple of times when I worked maintenance back in the day. Am thinking they had most of an entire floor??

I like that building, I just don't like the Hometown Buffet in front of it.

KayneMo
10-07-2011, 10:59 AM
This is slightly off topic, but is there a name for that area of highrises along NW Expressway? It looks like an "Uptown" to me and I always want to call it that, lol!

metro
10-07-2011, 05:51 PM
NW Exp corridor