View Full Version : Oklahoma Station BBQ

ljbab728
09-28-2011, 08:48 PM
http://www.oklahomastationbbq.com/

For those who may not have noticed, Groupon has a 50% off discount currently being offered for Oklahoma Station BBQ.

MikeOKC
09-28-2011, 10:24 PM
For those who may not have noticed, Groupon has a 50% off discount currently being offered for Oklahoma Station BBQ.

I saw that. What jumped out at me is that they reached the "Over 1000 Bought" mark within 24 hours! There's still 2 days left. They may be ready to kill the person who suggested Groupon was such a great idea.

ljbab728
09-28-2011, 11:24 PM
It's only a mile from where I live so I will sure be using mine.

BBatesokc
09-29-2011, 05:30 AM
Don't they run a similar coupon in the Gazette every week?

metro
09-29-2011, 08:11 AM
I saw that. What jumped out at me is that they reached the "Over 1000 Bought" mark within 24 hours! There's still 2 days left. They may be ready to kill the person who suggested Groupon was such a great idea.

Doubt it since they will at least break even, and hopefully will gain new regular business from it, and remind old regulars to return. FYI, they closed their NW Expressway location so they can't be doing too well. I personally love their BBQ though.

metro
09-29-2011, 08:13 AM

Haven't seen it in forever. gazette costs quite a bit weekly with limited results I bet. vs. groupon is free up front, and is giaranteed exposure to 350,000 Grouponers who purchase grpupons frequently. As an advertiser who has used Groupon on both sides of the aisle, I see no downside to it for them.

MikeOKC
09-29-2011, 08:39 AM
Doubt it since they will at least break even, and hopefully will gain new regular business from it, and remind old regulars to return. FYI, they closed their NW Expressway location so they can't be doing too well. I personally love their BBQ though.

I wasn't talking about financially. I was talking about the crush of customers!

BBatesokc
09-29-2011, 08:39 AM
Haven't seen it in forever. gazette costs quite a bit weekly with limited results I bet. vs. groupon is free up front, and is giaranteed exposure to 350,000 Grouponers who purchase grpupons frequently. As an advertiser who has used Groupon on both sides of the aisle, I see no downside to it for them.

I'm pretty certain its there every week.

As for Groupon - based on my marketing experience (take it for what its worth), I'd have to caution any business from participating in Groupon except in a few specific circumstances. The potential problems and downside are huge. Often companies who participate are already suffering from revenue decline or are new businesses who are not well funded. Not saying there are not successes with Groupon, I'm just saying it can be a huge nightmare and not a "no downside" marketing effort.

Larry OKC
09-29-2011, 04:25 PM

Yep. They used to run it where it was buy-1-get-1-free, then it was buy-1-get-1-for-$1.99, then the latest one I saw was buy-1-get-1-for-$2.99

Larry OKC
09-30-2011, 10:44 PM
Their $2.99 ad version was in this weeks Gazette (the Oklahoman For Sale err SOLD! cover)

RadicalModerate
12-08-2011, 09:43 AM
Is Oklahoma Station BBQ under new management or ownership?

We were in there the other night--a "Gazette Coupon Day Wednesday" BTW (although we had no coupons)--and there were all new faces on the other side of the counter.

In addition to that, there was no line to speak of which is very unusual for that particular day.

I have to say that the To-Go Ribs we left with were among the best I've ever had there--or just about anywhere else for that matter--and the sides were just as good as they've always been.

I know that the Gazette Coupon ain't what it used to be (in terms of Deep Discounts) but I can certainly understand the need for changes in that area. This may have been the reason for the lack of a line . . . but I'm just curious.

Besides the quality of the food, the one thing they should never change are all the train pictures on the walls. =)

Larry OKC
12-10-2011, 10:47 AM
Havent heard of anything changing...other than the coupons you mentioned (they used to be B1G1, then B1G1 4 $1.99, then $2.99...now I think it is Buy One get one 50% off?

They do have tasty food and store front size is misleading (much bigger inside)

OKCbyTRANSFER
09-17-2017, 08:04 PM
Heard this evening this place has closed, we had it on our group rotation, always seemed to be decent.

Ginkasa
09-18-2017, 09:13 AM
When one of these restaurant threads gets resurrected it seems like a 70/30 split on whether the place has closed or getting some kind of renovation.

shawnw
09-18-2017, 09:54 AM
Had lunch there a few months ago and was surprised how sparse the crowd was.

Roger S
09-18-2017, 10:29 AM
Google shows it to be permanently closed but there are reviews within the last two weeks. Their web domain is for sale and their FB page hasn't been updated since February..... I know the most recent owner bought it in 2015 but the last time I was there was in 2014.

Bullbear
09-18-2017, 10:57 AM
I use to like Oklahoma station a lot.. but last time I went which was proably around 2014 it was terrible and haven't been back.

TheTravellers
09-18-2017, 11:25 AM
I use to like Oklahoma station a lot.. but last time I went which was proably around 2014 it was terrible and haven't been back.

Yeah, our last visit was about a year later than yours, same feeling. Saw equipment being taken out of it last week, thought it was probably closed...

stile99
09-18-2017, 12:04 PM
Google shows it to be permanently closed but there are reviews within the last two weeks. Their web domain is for sale and their FB page hasn't been updated since February..... I know the most recent owner bought it in 2015 but the last time I was there was in 2014.

Google reviews are quickly becoming the new Yelp. Reviews so blatantly fake you can smell the BS from a mile away.

SoonerFP
09-19-2017, 03:11 PM
It is definitely closed. Sign up on the door and everything. I work right around the corner from it and visited at least twice a month. Decent BBQ, good sauce. I knew the original owner and he sold out to a business partner a couple years back. He said it was always a struggle keeping up with the other chain restaurants and such in the area. Was so nice having a BBQ I could practically walk to. There are other places as good though, in my opinion, so won't shed too many tears...

RadicalModerate
09-23-2017, 12:40 AM
I ain't no trendy, hipster, BBQ afficionado wannabe dude, yet I will say this: The Swadly's Location (over there on Memorial Road to the immediate NW ain't no slouch. Especially with Oklahoma Station all gone and whatever. The parkin' was good, The traffic acceptable and The Q was good. The sides and sauces were sublime and the service nearly beyond belief in terms of Excellent Kindness. (we "ordered" the Okie Sampler with a side of the Pulled Pork). I been t' Chair Crushers (out in Henryetta, by the Interstate). My wife suggested Swadley's instead of The Original Earl's on Western. cut me some slack . . . OK? =~)

That there is a hangover from the Recently Improved State Fair . . . If it twarn't for the Dean Martin Impressionist from that venue in Moore and the US Navy Band from Jacksonville FLA with the really tight and amazing brass section I might doubt that it ever existed.

billokc
09-23-2017, 03:29 PM

I just went by there (9/23), closed sign on the door simply stating they're no longer able to remain open, and thanks to all the customers over the past 25 years. There's also a copy of a summons from OK Co. District court with court a appearance date of 9/27. All the filled in blanks are difficult to read due to weather fading since the summons is on the outside of the glass.