View Full Version : CFB Top 25 Rankings - Week 4

venture
09-25-2011, 12:09 PM
As expected, LSU took the #1 spot away from Oklahoma - in the AP poll. LSU is now tied with Alabama in the Coaches after getting 20 of the first place votes.

Side commentary - it is well justified. OU did not play like a #1 team against Missouri yesterday, while LSU has been performing very well against ranked opponents. Alabama should probably jump OU as well seeing their dominating effort over then #14 Arkansas yesterday.

Associated Press Top 25
1 LSU
2 Oklahoma
3 Alabama
4 Boise State
5 Oklahoma State
6 Stanford
7 Wisconsin
8 Nebraska
9 Oregon
10 South Carolina
11 Virginia Tech
12 Florida
13 Clemson
14 Texas A&M
15 Baylor
16 South Florida
17 Texas
18 Arkansas
19 Michigan
20 TCU
21 Georgia Tech
22 West Virginia
23 Florida State
24 Illinois
25 Arizona State

Others Receiving Votes: Michigan State(3-1) 51; Houston(4-0) 38; Auburn(3-1) 25; Iowa State(3-0) 21; Ohio State(3-1) 15; Kansas State(3-0) 14; Utah(2-1) 12; Penn State(3-1) 9; Georgia(2-2) 8; Washington(3-1) 4; Tennessee(2-1) 3; Notre Dame(2-2) 3; Southern California(3-1) 2; Navy(2-1) 2; Missouri(2-2) 1; Mississippi State(2-2) 1

Coaches Poll
1 Oklahoma
2 Alabama
2 LSU
4 Stanford
5 Boise State
6 Oklahoma State
7 Wisconsin
8 Nebraska
9 South Carolina
10 Virginia Tech
11 Oregon
12 Florida
13 Texas A&M
14 South Florida
15 Clemson
16 Baylor
17 Texas
18 Arkansas
19 Michigan
20 TCU
21 Georgia Tech
22 Illinois
23 West Virginia
24 Florida State
25 Michigan State

Others Receiving Votes: Houston(4-0) 70; Ohio State(3-1) 61; Arizona State(3-1) 57; Penn State(3-1) 34; Iowa State(3-0) 33; North Carolina(3-1) 13; Kansas State(3-0) 13; Texas Tech(3-0) 13; Utah(2-1) 11; Northwestern(2-1) 5; Washington(3-1) 3; Tennessee(2-1) 3; Auburn(3-1) 2; Temple(3-1) 1; Air Force(2-1) 1

dcsooner
09-25-2011, 02:01 PM
LSU looks solid in all phases. No argument with the shift in places. Things should shake out over the next few weeks, but if LSU can play their SEC schedule unscathed then no one can argue with their position on top

venture
09-25-2011, 02:20 PM
Definitely. LSU vs Alabama should define it on who will be the national champ this year. The one thing I will give the SEC...each of their title contenders (well most of them) are usually solid all the way through. OU has always appeared to be pretty sporadic and has never appeared to be a monster dominating force against legitimate teams. IOW, the smack down against the #2 Tech team a few years ago wasn't solid and got exposed fast.

dmoor82
09-25-2011, 02:24 PM
well,atleast we know OU is better than texass this year!!!and btw OU is still #1 in one poll!

venture
09-25-2011, 02:29 PM
well,atleast we know OU is better than texass this year!!!and btw OU is still #1 in one poll!

I'm still not confident that we'll win this year. Missouri should have been a lot easier than what it was. Ball State this weekend will help get some exercise, but Texas could still come out and get us. Of course we have 3 other major tripping points on the schedule too. TAMU at home is going to be tough, but being home helps. @Baylor is shockingly going to be a test and of course in Stillwater.

dmoor82
09-25-2011, 02:29 PM
I wonder if OkState went undefeated,would the Pokes get a shot at the NC?

MDot
09-25-2011, 04:00 PM
LSU deserves the #1 ranking. Well deserved on there behalf. They have proven they aren't scared of anyone and have shown it with the 3 wins against top 25 teams, not to mention they have all been away from Baton Rouge.

As for OkSt, if they went undefeated I doubt they would get the ranking to play unless the planets line up just right. It would be sweet if OkSt got the ranking and played for the NC though.

Roadhawg
09-26-2011, 07:28 AM
I doubt my Huskers will be in the top ten next week... Don't think they can beat Wisconsin playing there.

Bill Robertson
09-26-2011, 02:01 PM
LSU played a good game. My beloved OU made a lot of defensive plays that legitimately would make voters wonder.

ljbab728
09-26-2011, 08:57 PM
LSU played a good game. My beloved OU made a lot of defensive plays that legitimately would make voters wonder.

LSU did play a good game but they also had a performance that should make voters wonder. When people talk about what a great defense LSU has why are they overlooking that West Virginia had 533 total yards and 28 first downs compared to 366 and 19 for LSU. I know stats don't mean everything but OU is getting bashed for giving up 532 yards to a Missouri team that may have a better offense than West Virginia.

MDot
09-26-2011, 09:10 PM
LSU did play a good game but they also had a performance that should make voters wonder. When people talk about what a great defense LSU has why are they overlooking that West Virginia had 533 total yards and 28 first downs compared to 366 and 19 for LSU. I know stats don't mean everything but OU is getting bashed for giving up 532 yards to a Missouri team that may have a better offense than West Virginia.

This is true but I think it has more so to do with the fact that LSU has won 3 straight games against ranked opponents away from Baton Rouge, even though only 2 of them are true road games.

ljbab728
09-26-2011, 09:16 PM
This is true but I think it has more so to do with the fact that LSU has won 3 straight games against ranked opponents away from Baton Rouge, even though only 2 of them are true road games.

MDot, I'm not saying that LSU is undeserving of their ranking. I'm just puzzelled about all of the defensive praise they get which I believe is overblown based on the results against WVU. If LSU runs the table including a road game at Alabama there is little doubt they would deserve the top ranking. It's a long season though and just getting started. Many things will happen to clarify rankings.

MDot
09-26-2011, 09:50 PM
MDot, I'm not saying that LSU is undeserving of their ranking. I'm just puzzelled about all of the defensive praise they get which I believe is overblown based on the results against WVU. If LSU runs the table including a road game at Alabama there is little doubt they would deserve the top ranking. It's a long season though and just getting started. Many things will happen to clarify rankings.

No, I didn't think you were trying to imply that they were undeserving of the ranking, I was just pointing that out. But your defensive praise comment is very true cause I also think Mizzou's offense is a bit better than WVU. But in the end if, whoever is holding up the BCS trophy in New Orleans then we'll know who the real #1 is.

ljbab728
09-26-2011, 09:59 PM
No, I didn't think you were trying to imply that they were undeserving of the ranking, I was just pointing that out. But your defensive praise comment is very true cause I also think Mizzou's offense is a bit better than WVU. But in the end if, whoever is holding up the BCS trophy in New Orleans then we'll know who the real #1 is.

This is looking way too far ahead, but I would be happy to play LSU for the championship on a neutral (anyplace but Louisiana) location.

MDot
09-26-2011, 10:09 PM
This is looking way too far ahead, but I would be happy to play LSU for the championship on a neutral (anyplace but Louisiana) location.

I would like to as well but since this year the NC will be in New Orleans we're gonna have to wait another or year or so.

ljbab728
09-27-2011, 12:26 AM
I would like to as well but since this year the NC will be in New Orleans we're gonna have to wait another or year or so.

You're assuming that LSU will get there which is far from a given since they have a tough remaining schedule.

MDot
09-27-2011, 10:58 AM
You're assuming that LSU will get there which is far from a given since they have a tough remaining schedule.

Well, I'm more so saying that if we play LSU for the NC this year it will be in New Orleans which is still in Louisiana. I guess you could say I am also assuming they'll make it cause they look dang impressive so far but they may have a total collapse and might even lose to Ole Miss. Not saying that will happen but teams are so shaky and have absolutely terrible performances against really bad teams sometimes.