View Full Version : Oklahoma will decide the Big 12 fate.

Dustin
09-07-2011, 06:53 PM
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/6939017/texas-aggies-accepted-sec-legal-threat-delays-move

dcsooner
09-07-2011, 06:57 PM
OU is being used as a pawn. DO WHAT IS BEST FOR OU, PERIOD. This Baylor BS is a joint effort by Texas schools to force OU to stay in conference and allow Texas to keep it's LHN and remain in control of the diluted conference. Texas would hold ALL the cards even with AM gone. Keep conference HQ, Title Game in Texas, Network with not a peep from the other "weaker" conf schools including OU in terms of leverage.

Just the facts
09-07-2011, 07:39 PM
Translation to that story - the PAC-16 idea is dead and OU is headed to the SEC as the 14th team. Write it down. If 3 other schools were PAC-16 bound they wouldn't join in a potential lawsuit if they might be the one getting sued next.

Skyline
09-07-2011, 09:02 PM
Baylor has been a free loader on the Big 12 gravy train since day one of the conference existence. Baylor has been getting an equal share of all conference revenues but never has it been the provider of such income. Baylor has the most to lose if the Big 12 is dissolved, they will fight to the very end.

BOOMER SOONER!!

Thunder
09-07-2011, 09:59 PM
Baylor has been a free loader on the Big 12 gravy train since day one of the conference existence. Baylor has been getting an equal share of all conference revenues but never has it been the provider of such income. Baylor has the most to lose if the Big 12 is dissolved, they will fight to the very end.

BOOMER SOONER!!

Being that Baylor provided very little and take/steal so much from the conference, they can fight all they want, but they will lose hardcore.

CuatrodeMayo
09-07-2011, 10:05 PM
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/6939017/texas-aggies-accepted-sec-legal-threat-delays-move

http://newsok.com/ou-official-denies-report-that-big-12-schools-want-sooners-to-commit-to-league/article/3602031?custom_click=masthead_topten

MustangGT
09-08-2011, 06:22 AM
Timing is the key here. Jump too early or too late...

Jim Kyle
09-08-2011, 07:17 AM
http://newsok.com/ou-official-denies-report-that-big-12-schools-want-sooners-to-commit-to-league/article/3602031?custom_click=masthead_toptenThat article has to be the least literate bit of writing I've ever seen come through OPubCo! For example:
If that report is true, it is news to OU — which would seem odd, given the precarious position in which the school would occupy.(emphasis added) and there's more of the same farther down. Guess they laid off all the copy editors and now depend on their spill chuckers...

CuatrodeMayo
09-08-2011, 07:51 AM
Yea. I had to read that line at least 3 times.

BrettM2
09-08-2011, 08:43 AM
Translation to that story - the PAC-16 idea is dead and OU is headed to the SEC as the 14th team. Write it down. If 3 other schools were PAC-16 bound they wouldn't join in a potential lawsuit if they might be the one getting sued next.

The way I read it was... there is no potential lawsuit, they are just not waiving the right to file one in the future. My guess is that they are waiting for OU because (barring the SEC) OSU will most likely go with OU.

I honestly see the conference breaking up with only 2-3 schools left to Conference USA. There has been reported interest in Mizzou, KU, and K-State from the Big East (one helluva basketball conference, still retains BCS AQ in football). If that's true and Texas/Tech goes west with OU/OSU, that leaves only ISU and Baylor. I'm pretty sure that 8 of the 10 schools can vote to disband the conference (thereby getting rid of exit fees). If it looks like it will break up, expect the Kansas/Missouri schools to jump as soon as they can to make sure they have a soft landing spot. Big East may not be better than the Big XII as it was, but it'll be the heck out of Conference USA or the WAC.

adaniel
09-08-2011, 10:06 AM

Wouldn't call it dead...not by a longshot. It just got complicated. David Boren has already made it pretty clear he does not want to go to the SEC because of the reputation of the SEC as football obessed programs willing to get dirty (see: Cam Newton) and governed by regents and states that aren't too keen on "fancy book learnin." It may not be fair but that is the perception. OU is only now getting the NCAA off its butt, no need to jump into a conference that will almost gurantee more scrutiny.

OU has no problem going to the PAC with or without any Texas schools, and its about time its made public. There is no actual lawsuit and Baylor is just making a stink because this is their absolute last bargaining chip to maybe draw a bead before they are eventually scutted to a Conference USA/Moutain West type conference.

ou48A
09-08-2011, 12:41 PM
For OU the SEC is the place of last resort.

The PAC is still very much at play but the odds of an OU move to the B1G are now not zero.
But OU has an OSU problem to deal with.

MustangGT
09-08-2011, 12:56 PM
OU should do what is best for OU and OSU is on their own. It would be terribly sad for OU to harm themselves trying to take care of OSU.

Native Okie
09-08-2011, 12:57 PM
I live in Southern Cal. If I am to be selfish It would be great to be able to see the Sooners here locally. It would be a horrible move to join the PAC-1 conference. The best move is OU in the SEC or Big Ten. Texas is turning the once great SEC into the Southwest Conference of OLD.

Native Okie
09-08-2011, 01:01 PM
OU and OSwho should split up. It would be better for the state. If the teams are in different conferences there will be cross pollination. It has worked well in Colorado, where CU fans often root for CSU because it becomes a state thing since they are in different conferences. You find yourself rooting for and following more than one conf.

Martin
09-08-2011, 01:01 PM
but the odds of an OU move to the B1G are now not zero.

how so? ou is not a member institution of the aau and historically the big ten requires that for consideration. -M

kevinpate
09-08-2011, 01:04 PM
OU should do what is best for OU and OSU is on their own. It would be terribly sad for OU to harm themselves trying to take care of OSU.

There's a school of thought that says making sure the pokes aren't harmed is what's best for OU in the long term. Some of the biggest advocates for that notion office part-time in Oklahoma City ... in the east and west wings of the state capitol.

MustangGT
09-08-2011, 01:49 PM
There's a school of thought that says making sure the pokes aren't harmed is what's best for OU in the long term. Some of the biggest advocates for that notion office part-time in Oklahoma City ... in the east and west wings of the state capitol.

And we all should know the value of their bull poopoo world.

earlywinegareth
09-08-2011, 03:24 PM
I can see pros/cons for both the PAC and SEC. If OU jumps to SEC along with A&M, then no more Texas BS and we're part of the strongest conference in the land. Hard to beat for future stability and financial payouts.

MustangGT
09-08-2011, 03:26 PM
Hopefully after the dust settles the team that infests Austin, TX will be left high and dry to slowly twist in the wind.

BB37
09-08-2011, 07:47 PM
Hopefully after the dust settles the team that infests Austin, TX will be left high and dry to slowly twist in the wind.

A nice fantasy, but the reality is ut needs to be in a conference for its basketball and non-revenue sports, and some other conference (B10 or Pac12) will offer them, but they'll (ut) have to compromise on the LHN. I know their preference is to stay in the B12 and keep the LHN and 100% of the money, but after the events of the past 48 hours, I don't see any way to save it. And even if, by some miracle, ut was able to keep some semblance of the B12, without OU, osu and aTm, I would expect ESPN to demand to renegotiate their contract because of the diminished value of the conference.

MustangGT
09-08-2011, 08:08 PM
The Long fools will have to TANK the LHN to go anywhere,. Anybody with 2 or more living brains cells understands that simple fact. It is NOT a fantasy if you understand the timing issue correctly.

bluedogok
09-08-2011, 08:10 PM
I think UT tries to form the what would be effectively the SWC v2.0 out of the remains of the Big 12 and try to hold onto the BCS AQ bid. The question is whether the other BCS members would allow that to happen. Even though I live in Austin (hopefully not for much longer) I am ready for OU to get away from UT, they are a cancer who can't stand being on equal footing with others, they always have to angle for an advantage and trying to maintain the Big 12 in some form will allow them to keep their POS channel. Like a Directv spokesman stated on why Directv hadn't picked it up, "two football games does not constitute a network".

MustangGT
09-08-2011, 08:12 PM
Will the BCS members allow it to happen, not likely. I want to see UT twist in the wind.

bluedogok
09-08-2011, 08:22 PM
Will the BCS members allow it to happen, not likely. I want to see UT twist in the wind.
I think it would depend entirely upon who they get to join them in the Bevo Conference. Adding Houston, SMU, UTEP and others of the likes to Baylor, I would think their chances of holding onto it would be slim. I still think that is what they will try to do because they pretty much know it is the only way to keep the LHN. The problem is some of the administration and in Bellmont Hall are totally enamored with the network and don't see themselves as the root of all this. Texas has always quick to claim glory and place blame.

ou48A
09-09-2011, 09:13 AM
how so? ou is not a member institution of the aau and historically the big ten requires that for consideration. -M

Being a member of the AAU is not a requirement for B1G membership.

If OU can present a clear plan to gain AAU admittance within 10 years, OU’s strong brand name would likely give OU a realistic opportunity IMHO to be granted B1G memberships.
While the odds IMO are not great according to Al on WWLS the B1G is OU’s backup plan.

There are also rumors that suggest that the odds go up if OU is included in a package deal to the B1G with Texas, Missouri, ND, or maybe KU. But OU must get rid of OSU and IMHO it would be well worth it because the B1G’s CIC fund would eventually be huge for OU academics and virtually assure AAU admittance in the future for OU.

Just the facts
09-09-2011, 09:35 AM
If OU went to the Big 10 which division would we be in; leaders or legends? Since we are both - at the same time mind you - we would fit in both. Do they have a "legend in own mind" division for Texas?

BB37
09-09-2011, 09:52 AM
Check Kirk Bohls' column in Friday (9/9)'s Austin American Statesman. A very clear-headed summary of ut's situation:

http://www.statesman.com/sports/longhorns/ut-independence-fraught-with-peril-1830666.html

ou48A
09-09-2011, 10:11 AM
If OU went to the Big 10 which division would we be in; leaders or legends? Since we are both - at the same time mind you - we would fit in both. Do they have a "legend in own mind" division for Texas?

Funny stuff
I actually thought about that a few days ago.

Martin
09-09-2011, 10:39 AM
Being a member of the AAU is not a requirement for B1G membership.

If OU can present a clear plan to gain AAU admittance within 10 years, OU’s strong brand name would likely give OU a realistic opportunity IMHO to be granted B1G memberships.
While the odds IMO are not great according to Al on WWLS the B1G is OU’s backup plan.

There are also rumors that suggest that the odds go up if OU is included in a package deal to the B1G with Texas, Missouri, ND, or maybe KU. But OU must get rid of OSU and IMHO it would be well worth it because the B1G’s CIC fund would eventually be huge for OU academics and virtually assure AAU admittance in the future for OU.

hmmm... interesting. while i'd prefer ou to be a part of the big ten, i'm not as optimistic that the conference will be that lax in its traditions. but then again, money talks and maybe the big ten will be presented a package deal that's too tempting to refuse.

maybe it's shaping up to have three divisions: leaders, legends and left-overs.

-M

Roadhawg
09-09-2011, 10:57 AM
Check Kirk Bohls' column in Friday (9/9)'s Austin American Statesman. A very clear-headed summary of ut's situation:

http://www.statesman.com/sports/longhorns/ut-independence-fraught-with-peril-1830666.html

Good article

ou48A
09-09-2011, 11:00 AM
hmmm... interesting. while i'd prefer ou to be a part of the big ten, i'm not as optimistic that the conference will be that lax in its traditions. but then again, money talks and maybe the big ten will be presented a package deal that's too tempting to refuse.

There are differences but Notre Dame is not in the AAU.
Yet the B1G has a standing offer for ND to join their conference.

OU’s biggest obstacle is probably getting rid of OSU

Just the facts
09-09-2011, 11:16 AM
I wish they would drop leaders and legends altogether - they seem too militaristic. I prefer triangles and squares. Ooops I'm sorry - that is too simplistic and geared towards the non-AAU schools. How about trapezoid and rhombus divisions (non-threatening and snooty sounding)? 95% of ESPN viewers would have to look those up.

Native Okie
09-09-2011, 06:40 PM
I love Oklahoma Logic. I miss that living in Cal. (common sense in short supply) I am so glad to read that you get it. You must leave OSU. The second tier Big 12 needs to break away. I posted earlier how it works well for the citizens of Colorado to have CU and CSU in separate conferences. I also see the same thing in Iowa, Florida and FSU, Georgia and GT. It is best for the schools and the people of the state.

bluedogok
09-09-2011, 07:02 PM

Bohls is one of the few around here that calls UT out at times, and there is much truth in that article. I agree that UT doesn't want to be independent, they want to be king of their own domain and have the ability to lord over their accomplishments over others. If OU and a few others were to leave I still think UT tries to patch together a SWC v2.0 version of the Big 12 to try and hold onto the BCS AQ bid.

The LHN did pick up some more games but not any more cable/sat systems.
San Antonio Business Journal - Longhorn Network to televise remaining UTSA home football games (http://www.bizjournals.com/sanantonio/blog/2011/09/longhorn-network-to-televise-remaining.html)

Just the facts
09-09-2011, 07:50 PM
I love Oklahoma Logic. I miss that living in Cal. (common sense in short supply) I am so glad to read that you get it. You must leave OSU. The second tier Big 12 needs to break away. I posted earlier how it works well for the citizens of Colorado to have CU and CSU in separate conferences. I also see the same thing in Iowa, Florida and FSU, Georgia and GT. It is best for the schools and the people of the state.

I just don't know why the good people at OSU don't understand this. It seems so logical and simple to me. Boone Pickens was on ESPN the other trying to make the case for the exact opposite by saying Oklahoma was small state and we couldn't afford to divide up the state. Doesn't he realize that is what putting OU and OSU in the same conference does? If OU and OSU were in different conferences it would allow Oklahomans to cheer for both teams because they would want both teams to win their conference. Honestly, it would probably be a huge boost to OSU season ticket sales. People could see OU play 6 homes games and see OSU play 6 homes games against totally different opponents.

BlackmoreRulz
09-11-2011, 09:48 AM
USC AD Pat Haden was interviewed at halftime yesterday and he said he was quite confident that the deal would get done.

Just the facts
09-11-2011, 05:31 PM
USC AD Pat Haden was interviewed at halftime yesterday and he said he was quite confident that the deal would get done.

ESPN reported last night during the USC/Utah game that the PAC-12 Commissioner said they were not interested in any more expansion and were happy with 12 teams.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/story/_/id/6949738/pac-12-commissioner-larry-scott-expanding-pac-12

TEMPE, Ariz. -- Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott has said the conference is not actively seeking new members, despite all the talk of schools wanting to move.
In fact, if it were up to him, Scott would keep the conference just the way it is.

Speaking to reporters before Friday night's game between Arizona State and No. 21 Missouri, Scott said he would prefer to make the 12-team model work instead of trying to expand it to 16.

"Our hope is that there is no expansions and all conferences that are at 12 stay at 12. That would be our vote," he said. "We're very happy where we're at and we've got a lot to do over the next year."

betts
09-11-2011, 05:54 PM
Those who know aren't talking to anyone. My brother is the Assistant AD at Texas A&M and I can't get even the tiniest bit of information from him. Not even a hint.

bluedogok
09-11-2011, 06:13 PM
ESPN reported last night during the USC/Utah game that the PAC-12 Commissioner said they were not interested in any more expansion and were happy with 12 teams.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/story/_/id/6949738/pac-12-commissioner-larry-scott-expanding-pac-12
The SEC also had a vote and statements not expand right before A&M announced they were leaving the Big 12. Everything that is "not" happening now in public is just CYA for the talks going on behind the scenes.

venture
09-11-2011, 07:55 PM
A lot of the public "We are staying with 12" talk is also for legal reasons. If they actively state they are going out and poaching teams, it opens them up to lawsuits from other conferences.

BlackmoreRulz
09-11-2011, 08:37 PM

I tried to find exactly what Haden said yesterday but could only find a forum post:

USC athletic director Pat Haden, interviewed a few minutes ago at halftime of the Utah-USC game, was asked, "Do you anticipate this conference expanding to 16 teams?":

Haden replied, "If there seems to be a move afoot for that . . . I'd rather be at the forefront than waiting for something else to happen. . . . We'll get there one way or another, I think, I just think there's too much momentum to slow it down now, and we're going to have these superconferences in the near future."

He also said something about the league office being in negotiations...

Lord Helmet
09-11-2011, 08:54 PM
OU’s biggest obstacle is probably getting rid of OSU

What exactly is the deal with this? Why does OU give a rip what conference OSU ends up in?

ljbab728
09-11-2011, 08:59 PM

This article puts a little different spin on Larry Scott's comments.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=wojciechowski_gene&id=6956405&sportCat=ncf

Just the facts
09-11-2011, 09:44 PM
Meanwhile, Oklahoma State gajillionaire booster T. Boone Pickens recently told the Daily Oklahoman that if the Sooners bolt to the Pac-12, then the Cowboys will be attached to OU's hip. And if they stay put, he has no interest in the Big 12 adding independents Notre Dame ("Damaged merchandise," he said of ND) or BYU ("Who in the hell knows where Provo, Utah, is?").

If you can find Stillwater on a map, you can find Provo.

BB37
09-12-2011, 11:41 AM
From Monday (9/12)'s Austin American-Statesman:

Texas, OU meet
By Kirk Bohls | Monday, September 12, 2011, 09:58 AM

About a dozen administrators from Texas and Oklahoma, including the presidents of both schools and some regents, met in Norman, Okla., on Sunday to discuss potential realignment and get a better understanding of the possible destinations for both schools.

Texas made it clear it wants to preserve the Big 12, but sources say OU made it just as clear it plans to pursue membership in the Pac-12 Conference along with fellow league member Oklahoma State.

The Longhorns’ plans remain unclear, but it appears they will have to choose between becoming an independent to keep their Longhorn Network or joining the Pac-12 or possibly the ACC as a last option.

OU and OSU do not have invites to the Pac-12.

Texas president William Powers flew with athletic director DeLoss Dodds and women’s athletic director Chris Plonsky for the meeting but were unavailable for comment.

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/bohls/entries/2011/09/12/texas_ou_meet.html?cxntfid=blogs_bohl_games

ou48A
09-12-2011, 08:45 PM
http://twitter.com/#!/johnehoover

johnehoover John E. Hoover

Again, OU regents meeting changed from Mon-Tue NEXT WEEK to Monday only. I presume that means ordering takeout, no golf.

35 minutes ago »

What I expect: OU regents will vote on Big12/Pac12 move next Mon. Will be approved. OSU will follow suit. Pac-12 will announce soon after.

38 minutes ago »

OU regents will meet in Claremore, OK on Mon. My source on Board was asked not to talk. "Negotiations are sensitive," he said. #Sooners

41 minutes ago

Thunder
09-12-2011, 08:58 PM
OU should be getting numerous invites, because OU has been on the record-breaking thrill this year including the only school to maintain the most time being at #1. Any conference will be an idiot for not wanting OU.

venture
09-12-2011, 10:18 PM
OU regents will meet in Claremore, OK on Mon. My source on Board was asked not to talk. "Negotiations are sensitive," he said. #Sooners
41 minutes ago

I love that. Then tell him to shut the hell up. LOL

Just the facts
09-13-2011, 12:15 PM
I was sitting in Chik-fil-a for lunch and the group next to me were Florida and Georgia fans. Their entire conversation (30 minutes or so) consisted of how great it would be if OU joined the SEC. Not a word was said about A&M.

Jersey Boss
09-13-2011, 01:12 PM
Pac 12 is sorry. OU will be taking a step down, in prestige and competition.

Just the facts
09-13-2011, 08:45 PM
Pac 12 is sorry. OU will be taking a step down, in prestige and competition.

Yep - but Boren would rather rub elbows at parties with west coast types and not southeast types.

earlywinegareth
09-14-2011, 02:41 PM
I was sitting in Chik-fil-a for lunch and the group next to me were Florida and Georgia fans. Their entire conversation (30 minutes or so) consisted of how great it would be if OU joined the SEC. Not a word was said about A&M.

Reminds me when OU played series with Bama a few years ago. I was in Norman on gameday and ran into a crowd of Bama fans at the Waffle House. I thought it funny that they wanted to eat at the only place that was familiar to them. That was a fun series BTW - those two programs are like twins separated at birth. I've heard people say LSU fans were the worst ever. I've witnessed Tennessee fans outright taunting Georgia fans outside the stadium which shocked me for ugliness and immature behavior. My midwestern upbringing emphasized sportsmanship and respect no matter win or lose. Those folks didn't get that message and there were hundreds doing it, not just a few.

Just the facts
09-15-2011, 06:16 AM
You have to keep in mind that teams in the SEC have been plaing each other for 75 years and for the most part there hasn't been the kind of one-sided domination like OU has against its long-time foes. Fans with no reason to taunt usually don't. I have seen OU and Texas cause their fair share of trouble with each other. The SEC is an entire conference of OU/Texas.