View Full Version : Asian Supermarkets in Norman?

Questor
08-14-2011, 12:30 PM
Are there any Asian or International supermarkets in Norman? I know there used to be one by campus before they tore down the strip center by the old O'Connell's. Thanks.

blangtang
08-14-2011, 12:44 PM
It moved to main street downtown but I can't think of any Asian grocery stores. Good luck

BG918
08-14-2011, 02:56 PM
Super Cao Nguyen needs to open up a Norman store. Next to Harbor Freight where Journey Church used to be at 12th & Alameda would be a good location.

For now there is International Groceries at Main & Crawford downtown.

kevinpate
08-14-2011, 04:40 PM
There is a market of some sort behind sooner dairy on west main. However, I think it is more central america than se asia

Questor
08-14-2011, 05:15 PM
It moved to main street downtown but I can't think of any Asian grocery stores. Good luck

It must have gone out of business. Stopped by today and there was newspaper covering the windows and everything was locked up. Phone number is disconnected too.

Questor
08-14-2011, 05:17 PM
There is a market of some sort behind sooner dairy on west main. However, I think it is more central america than se asia

Interesting, I'll have to look for that thanks.

Thunder
08-14-2011, 05:23 PM
There is one in Moore across from Goodwill. I can't remember name of the streets intersection.

Jesseda
08-14-2011, 07:40 PM
i think thunder is talking about the one of south 89th street and penn.. i think its called hong kong market

badfish77
08-15-2011, 11:37 AM
Not an asian grocery but I thought I would mention that theres some kind of kitchen store on lindsey in the shopping center with homeland. They have some really interesting and hard to find ingredients and foods of all ethnic background. Lots of awesome kitchenware and gadgets. They do cooking classes as well.

JimTrabersColostomyBag
08-15-2011, 01:12 PM
Not an asian grocery but I thought I would mention that theres some kind of kitchen store on lindsey in the shopping center with homeland. They have some really interesting and hard to find ingredients and foods of all ethnic background. Lots of awesome kitchenware and gadgets. They do cooking classes as well.

That's International Pantry

Questor
08-15-2011, 09:20 PM
Oh cool I'll check it out, thanks.

cameron_405
08-16-2011, 08:36 AM
Super Cao Nguyen needs to open up a Norman store. Next to Harbor Freight where Journey Church used to be at 12th & Alameda would be a good location.

For now there is International Groceries at Main & Crawford downtown.

...tossed out of SCN for taking pictures inside (couple years back). I would've put the camera away, but she wasn't having it.

jstaylor62
09-26-2011, 08:35 AM
i think thunder is talking about the one of south 89th street and penn.. i think its called hong kong market

That place is scary! Several years ago, they had so many health code violations that the health department stood outside and made them lock the doors before they would leave. Nodding and saying yes to the health inspectors was just not cutting it as a response.

Jesseda
09-26-2011, 10:03 AM
the hong kong market on south 89th was bought a couple years ago by a big asian market chain that is out of dallas, they cleaned it up compared to the previous owners...just a fyi

jstaylor62
09-26-2011, 11:00 AM
the hong kong market on south 89th was bought a couple years ago by a big asian market chain that is out of dallas, they cleaned it up compared to the previous owners...just a fyi

Thanks for the update. I will drop in and see how it has changed.

chuck johnson
09-29-2011, 09:59 PM

I'm Vietnamese and live nearby. I go there several times a week. It's not as big as Super Cao Nguyen but just as well stocked. The fish counter is amazing. The selection is among the best and better than Crest or Whole Foods. There's no fishy smell at all, which is amazing considering how much fish they process and sell. Like most Asian markets, they'll clean it, cut it up if you want, or deep fry it. They have an Asian food counter that is pretty good. Fresh egg rolls in the morning for $.50. It's still a little rundown, but they are constantly improving. They don't mind you taking pictures either.

Jesseda
09-30-2011, 02:16 PM
I'm Vietnamese and live nearby. I go there several times a week. It's not as big as Super Cao Nguyen but just as well stocked. The fish counter is amazing. The selection is among the best and better than Crest or Whole Foods. There's no fishy smell at all, which is amazing considering how much fish they process and sell. Like most Asian markets, they'll clean it, cut it up if you want, or deep fry it. They have an Asian food counter that is pretty good. Fresh egg rolls in the morning for $.50. It's still a little rundown, but they are constantly improving. They don't mind you taking pictures either.

my wife started about a month ago managing the family dollar store next door. I didnt know they had egg rolls in the morning..hmm i gotta let my wife know about that

chuck johnson
09-30-2011, 04:23 PM
my wife started about a month ago managing the family dollar store next door. I didnt know they had egg rolls in the morning..hmm i gotta let my wife know about that

They put them out around 10am I believe. I get there a little before noon and they're still pretty hot. They'll be in a tray or basket by the deli and you bag bag them up yourself. As the day goes by they lose their crunch but are still pretty tasty. They also have fresh garden rolls.

jstaylor62
10-06-2011, 08:17 AM
Thanks for the update. I will drop in and see how it has changed.

Well, I dropped in and I must say that the place has changed alot from the last time I was in there 6-7 years ago. The produce section was pretty nice. They also had a good supply of banh canh noodles and spring roll wrappers. They even had bulk Thai tea that I can not find at Super Cao Nguyen. The buffet did not look safe though. But that is the nature of a buffet with little traffic.

So tonight I will have one of my favorites: Bahn Canh Cha Gio

chuck johnson
10-06-2011, 08:23 AM
The buffet did not look safe though. But that is the nature of a buffet with little traffic.

So tonight I will have one of my favorites: Bahn Canh Cha Gio

That's pretty funny and I don't disagree with your assessment on the appearance. I've had a few of the items and most was good. I also usually go around lunchtime when they start to put things out. I'll repost later with a better evaluation once I get through it all.

Good work on the Bahn Canh Cha Gio!